The Top Ten Happiest and Unhappiness cities to work in right now

Options
black caesar
black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kathryndill/2015/01/16/the-happiest-and-unhappiest-places-to-work/

Which cities claim the happiest employees and which have them singing the geographical blues?

To determine the happiest and unhappiest places to work, fulfillment-focused career site CareerBliss took a look at eight key factors that can influence an employee’s contentment, including work-life balance, an employee’s relationship with his or her boss and co-workers, general work environment, compensation, opportunities for advancement, company culture, and resources.

“Where you live can definitely impact your overall happiness and even your perceived happiness in your career,” said Heidi Golledge, CEO and co-founder of CareerBliss. “If the majority of companies in a city foster a work environment that encourages career growth and time to enjoy a lifestyle outside of work, there is a very high chance that employees in that city are going to be happier with their jobs then in cities with work cultures who have less work life balance and career growth.”

Miami, Florida, tops a list stacked with cities in sunnier climes. While the city remains an important tourist hub, it’s also a major producer of textiles, pharmaceutical and medical equipment, and agricultural products. Golledge notes that the city is also seeing a growing number of new ventures choosing to call Miami home.

“We are seeing the beginnings of a start-up culture breathing new life into [Miami],” said Golledge. “More startups are venturing outside of Silicon Valley and bringing new opportunities to cities across the nation. Even more encouraging is that more traditional businesses are evolving and adding a positive spin on traditional workplaces.” ​​

Up next is Sacramento, California; and Las Vegas, Nevada; and Orlando, Florida. Washington, D.C. rounds out the top 5 as the only representative of the Mid-Atlantic region.

At the other end of the spectrum, Cleveland, Ohio, ranks as the unhappiest place to work in the country. (It may be a coincidence, but a greater number of cold-climate cities are viewed as unhappy places to work.)

Indianapolis, Indiana, takes runner up, followed by Kansas City, Missouri, and Salt Lake City, Utah. Austin, Texas, rounds out the top 5 unhappiest places to work.

Top ten happiest cities to work in:

1. Miami, Florida

2. Sacramento, California

3. Las Vegas, Nevada

4. Orlando, Florida

5. Washington, D.C.

6. Los Angeles, California

7. Hartford, Connecticut

8. San Antonio, Texas

9. Birmingham, Alabama

10. New York, New York

Top ten unhappiest cities to work in:

1. Cleveland, Ohio

2. Indianapolis, Indiana

3. Kansas City, Missouri (Beezy explain lol)

4. Salt Lake City, Utah

5. Austin, Texas

6. Cincinnati, Ohio

7. Louisville, Kentucky

8. Houston, Texas (I thought this city was popping. Kat explain)

9. Tulsa, Oklahoma

10. Chicago, Illinois (Not surprised. I wouldn't be happy either when every time I step out the door, I'm a contestant in the Chiraq Hunger Games lol)

Comments

• Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fohhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    La unhappy AF
  • black caesar
    Options
    Pico wrote: »
    Fohhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    La unhappy AF

Is it because of traffic?
  • Beech Oss Neega
    Beech Oss Neega Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • black caesar
    Options
    Where's 8-10?

It's there now.
  • B_A
    B_A Members Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im glad to see sac made it but damn im supposed to move to Austin.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fohhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    La unhappy AF

It's cause the cost of living expensive.
  • black caesar
    Options
    Fohhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    La unhappy AF

How much you pay in rent and how much space?
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My happiness don't really have too much to do with my outside environment unless it's extreme conditions. Happiness is a state of mind, and that state of mind is relative.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fohhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    La unhappy AF

La is cheaper than ny
  • CP203
    CP203 Members Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol i knew houston would be on the unhappiest list, all the pilots i know with houston as their main hub hate life
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Disagree with 2 and 10 on the Unhappy list.

I grew up in Indianapolis, and worked there for a long time, all over the city. Consistently the nicest people of any city I've ever been to.
    And Chicago ( live here now ) constantly being labeled as dangerous is getting old too. The south side is dangerous, not the city.
  • black caesar
    edited January 2015
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »

I grew up in Indianapolis, and worked there for a long time all over the city. Consistently the nicest people of any city I've ever been to.
    And Chicago ( live here now ) constantly being labeled as dangerous is getting old too. The south side is dangerous, not the city.

I thought the East side was bad too. I heard the Chicago Merc isn't the same anymore. The open cry pits are dying out..
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I grew up in Indianapolis, and worked there for a long time all over the city. Consistently the nicest people of any city I've ever been to.

I thought the East side was bad too. I heard the Chicago Merc isn't the same anymore. The open cry pits are dying out..

East is the south jus a particular part...and both have great spots that everyone goes too

And unless u grew up insulated with white people in the,middle of nowhere, there is no justifiable reaaon for you to be scared of stepping in any town , let along chicago. Chicago is a international world renowed city....ive been out the country and said im from chicago to some random muthafucka
    chatting abd not only did he kno abt chicago, he started naming ? ....theres only a handful of world recognized cityies in usa

So don't believe everything u , read

ALIZE AND WEED!
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And kansas city is the kinda town if u come up, u leave immediately....? dont get bread n move tgere, tgey get bread n LEAVE! Lmao.....n act like they never even lived there smh
  • black caesar
    Options

East is the south jus a particular part...and both have great spots that everyone goes too

And unless u grew up insulated with white people in the,middle of nowhere, there is no justifiable reaaon for you to be scared of stepping in any town , let along chicago. Chicago is a international world renowed city....ive been out the country and said im from chicago to some random muthafucka
    chatting abd not only did he kno abt chicago, he started naming ? ....theres only a handful of world recognized cityies in usa

ALIZE AND WEED!

I got friends in Chicago. I've been wanting to visit the city.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I should save up for d.c. this damn summer.
  • black caesar
    Options
    I should save up for d.c. this damn summer.

DC is expensive, but the city is popping man. I always have a good time out there. I live in VA now, so its 3 hours for me.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cleveland loses again, damn.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I grew up in Indianapolis, and worked there for a long time, all over the city. Consistently the nicest people of any city I've ever been to.

Safe =\= happy or nice
  • CP203
    CP203 Members Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And kansas city is the kinda town if u come up, u leave immediately....? dont get bread n move tgere, tgey get bread n LEAVE! Lmao.....n act like they never even lived there smh

@beezus smh your city sucks???
  • BEAM
    edited January 2015
    Options
    .. Chicago is an international world renowned city ..

You know, I think people often forget this.

Chicago is an absolutely AMAZING city, and is quite frankly the most underrated city ( big or small ) in the Nation, if you ask me. It has everything you could ever need, want or wish for, has that big, important city feel like New York ( because it is an enormous city ), but the cost of living is half the price..

It constantly gets a bad rep because the winters are harsh or whatever, and the south side's crime rate is so extrapolated that it contaminated people's perceptions of the entire area, which is just ignorant, tbh.

NYC > Chicago > LA, San Francisco, DC > Atlanta, Houston, Philly, Miami, Boston, Seattle, etc..

AggyAF wrote: »
    Safe =\= happy or nice

I grew up in Indy, bruh.
    You can't teach me nothing about that city.
  • BEAM
    edited January 2015
    Options
    * double post *
  • Beech Oss Neega
    Beech Oss Neega Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

ALIZE AND WEED!

I got friends in Chicago. I've been wanting to visit the city.

Come in the spring or summer. You don't wanna see these winters smmfh.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol i knew houston would be on the unhappiest list, all the pilots i know with houston as their main hub hate life

Probably cause of the racism and annoying Texan fans.