If Drake wants to become a legend, he needs a 5 star album...Can he do that

Options

Comments

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    for those that say Take Care is classic but jot hip hop are you saying its an r&b classic?
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    What makes Take Care a classic???
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    AggyAF wrote: »
    for those that say Take Care is classic but jot hip hop are you saying its an r&b classic?

I was just finna ask this....if it's not a hip hop classic wtf kinda classic is it??? R&b classic??? Pop classic??? A "how many hits and how many ppl remix my singles" classic??? I KNOW y'all ain't calling it just a classic of all genres...
  • IAmDopeSmoke
    IAmDopeSmoke Members Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    BoogaSuga wrote: »
    I mean he can but i dont see it happening.

He set his career on a certain path when he signed to Young Money and he has his lane he will most likely stay in it. It works for him.

^^^Makes sense.

It's possible that teenagers and girls think he's already made a 5 star album.

Just because your generation doesn't see him as a legend doesn't mean younger people don't view him as such.

^^^ this no lie drake gets a lot of clowning by the I.C but most mainstream fans think his already made a classic album I can't even lie his last album was classic to me and I'm a hip hop head I guess it jst falls on opioion of the person in question......I know one thing tho 10yrs down the road or whenever his gonna be looked at as a legend jst like Wayne its no stopping it ? may hate it but as the generations change so does hip hop and so do the legends he will be a legend of HIS GENERATION
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Nah Son. He's a ? .
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Yall really think Take Care is classic?
    1322.gif
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    No
    Sion wrote: »
    He needs to set the bar creatively & IMO he hasn't done that yet. He does need that definitive classic or he's just dropping songs and freestyles at this point. Sooner or later when know what to expect it's going to get tiring and somebody else is going to come into the picture and the attention will shift.

If we using Jay-Z as a barometer even he did things no one did (Hardknock Life, Big Pimpin aka having UGK on a major single which gave him credibility, clothing lines and publicizing his business accomplishments, etc.) . Drake hasn't done anything major that no one has done yet. He also needs to get outside himself or he'll end up like 50 Cent (lack of progression as an artist). I've said this before, that goofy joke of the internet shtick is going to get old and that's going to be a hard title to shake off. ? are gonna forget that Drake can really spit and clown his ass when he come wit an album.

I do think it's still too early to tell where he's going to go but he does need that ground-breaking album to take him to the next tier or he's no different than Ja Rule, Ludacris, T.I., Fabolous, Fat Joe, etc. while those aren't bad careers per se, they're at the point where they could have been bigger if they stepped outside the box and ventured more creatively and made better decisions. Ja Rule could have been one of the GOATs if he just ignored 50 Cent.

I was with you the whole post until you said JaRule coulda been a GOAT
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    No
    people want him to make the str8 up ? hippity hop album b4 they say "he is respected"

Devin the Dude has classics and is respected in the game and he is far from ? .

I dont think i can even think of a line when Devin is angry or coming at someone.
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    No
    ^I didn't like or bump JaRule or 50

When Nas was about the sign to Murder Inc i was about to give up on rap. (No @deathrowzorrow‌)

• RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Why u guys jus dont give him his props tho . U guys damn kno yall be bumpin his love songs on the low lol.
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Idc wat yall say jarule is a goat same as nelly .
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Nah Son wrote: »
    Drake needs to surpass weezy before he can focus on a 5 star album... like how kanye has surpassed jay

He sure got destroyed alot on WTT for him to surpass Jay

So your telling me that Kanye has not done enough to surpass the teacher or to at least match him?

Late Registration
    The College Dropout
    My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

They both were lazy on that album. Most of the verses (exceptions: Murder To excellence, Why I love you, No Church in the wild) were coasted. Where exactly did Jay destroy Kanye on that album?

I'm too lazy to look up all the verses but everytime I listen to WTT it reminds me of how superior Jay is on the mic compared to Kanye. Thats not to ? on Kanye cause I love his music but in terms of lyrics, flow, delivery overall emceeing Jay in another world. But I could see how one could argue that his discography is not worse than Jays, I cant front on the albums he has under his belt. But Jay will always be the better rapper to me

As a rapper, Jay has always been superior. I take back my statement my friend. From an album to album standpoint, Jay and Manye stand toe and toe. Jay is revered for his lyricism and Kanye was always held to a high standard with production. Again, you win.
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Drake needs to surpass weezy before he can focus on a 5 star album... like how kanye has surpassed jay

He sure got destroyed alot on WTT for him to surpass Jay

So your telling me that Kanye has not done enough to surpass the teacher or to at least match him?

Late Registration
    The College Dropout
    My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

They both were lazy on that album. Most of the verses (exceptions: Murder To excellence, Why I love you, No Church in the wild) were coasted. Where exactly did Jay destroy Kanye on that album?

I'm too lazy to look up all the verses but everytime I listen to WTT it reminds me of how superior Jay is on the mic compared to Kanye. Thats not to ? on Kanye cause I love his music but in terms of lyrics, flow, delivery overall emceeing Jay in another world. But I could see how one could argue that his discography is not worse than Jays, I cant front on the albums he has under his belt. But Jay will always be the better rapper to me

As a rapper, Jay has always been superior. I take back my statement my friend. From an album to album standpoint, Jay and Manye stand toe and toe. Jay is revered for his lyricism and Kanye was always held to a high standard with production. Again, you win.
    *kanye
  • metal face terrorist
    metal face terrorist Members Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My version of Take Care is classic to me.

Over My Dead Body
    Shot For Me
    Free Spirts
    Headlines
    Crew Love
    Dreams Money Can Buy
    Marvins Room / Buried Alive Interlude
    Underground Kings
    Trust Issues
    Club Paradise
    Lord Knows
    Cameras / Good Ones Go Interlude
    Doing It Wrong
    The Real Her
    Look What You've Done
    HYFR
    The Ride

• trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Take care ain't no damn classic lmao
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Sion wrote: »
    AggyAF wrote: »

This depends now on time.... it's definitely his best piece of work (objectively) and it really took what Kanye did w/ 808s and took it to a higher level. To the younger generation I get why it'd be deemed a "classic" but I feel that it's still too early to say. Definitely marked a time in music. The question tho is who we give props to ? Kanye or Drake ? Rule 3:36 & Pain Is Love were good albums too but how was it diff't than LL's G.O.A.T or 10 ?? Look how Ja's albums aged.... Drake definitely has the potential to become a G.O.A.T but time will tell.

The jury is still out on Take Care. Drake is still very young but he still has to prove himself as a musician overall, he's definitely proven himself as a rapper. At this point only Drake can get in his own way. Feeling bigger than the competition is not a good way to go, while he can use sales as a reason to go at Jay & avoid Kendrick, time has always shown that sales wane & hype dies down but cohesiveness & high quality music stand the tests of time.

a "classic" in what genre tho?

@ all those that said its classic

let's examine this premise
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    My version of Take Care is classic to me.

Over My Dead Body
    Shot For Me
    Free Spirts
    Headlines
    Crew Love
    Dreams Money Can Buy
    Marvins Room / Buried Alive Interlude
    Underground Kings
    Trust Issues
    Club Paradise
    Lord Knows
    Cameras / Good Ones Go Interlude
    Doing It Wrong
    The Real Her
    Look What You've Done
    HYFR
    The Ride

? said my version tho.
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    ? really tryna push that take care is a classic issue hard I see....well if that's the case then jay and nas must got like 5-6 classics a piece if take care is a classic....
  • ikey_baby
    ikey_baby Members Posts: 201 ✭✭
    Options
    Drake is already a legend & one of the best from his era, in terms of just hip hop no he is not a legend but over all he is legend or at least approaching. Its a lot of regular people that or not hip-hop enthusiasts that think he has a classic album whichever album that may be. But dude is dam near icon status & will probably drop a musical masterpiece at some but a hip-hop classic probably not.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Damn sure aint no r&b classic cause the ? cant sing for ? . I rarely ever hear this album get talked about or even mentioned when we do talk about recently released classics. yall want this ? to have a classic so bad that yall just name his best album one, even tho no one outside his ? fanbase even give a ? about it.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    and whats funny is drakes fanbase will say "take care is a classic, just not a hip hop classic" then next week get upset when they see someone say he isnt real hip hop. Which one is it? You wanna justify your opinion by randomly changing this ? genre or is he hip hop afterall?
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I heard/read that opinion for the first time in this thread (Take Care being a classic)
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes
    He can but he won't. Drake is talented enough lyrically and creatively to make a 5 star album, but he wastes a lot of that talent talking about the same old same.....money, hoes and how he doesn't get the props he feels he deserves. I think he consciously makes music for the unconscious because that's what gets play in the clubs and on the radio.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Drake is good at making hit records but i think his problem is he doesn't make great ''glue records/filler records''. When you think of all the classic albums they all have those commercial records (IZZO,California Love, Rosa Parks,etc) but it's the memorable glue records (Ambitionz of ridah, U don't know, Aquemini,etc).

Drake the type of ? who will make a album and all 12 songs sound like singles. He doesn't have those street/hiphop glue records that makes a classic album classic imo. He is too commercial.