Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo and Youth Official Album Discussion 1/20/15

Options

Comments

• Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »
    I didnt hear a Gotta Eat part II so nah!

damn, he made a Gotta Eat 2? what album? I need to hear that

No I wish but I was joking.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Speaking of sequels, yall ever heard the american terrorist 2 and 3
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They both are dope
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    daboyag1 wrote: »
    i know every verse on Chopper by heart now lol

How is that possible? Have of them ? I can't understand what they are saying Lol.cool song tho
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    daboyag1 wrote: »
    i know every verse on Chopper by heart now lol

Trouble has my favorite verse on that joint at the moment.
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No skips
    Gotta listen more to Joey's album.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    'Chopper' my #1 HipHop joint of the year so far (2015)

? knocks for a 9 minute song
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lincoln wrote: »
    Yo I was an art major. We were taught to anaylze works, looking for things intentionally put there by artists, and things that the artist may not have intended but arose as a result anyway. I apply this sort of analysis in all aspects of my life, and did it for the track "Mural." I'll leave it up to you to decide if it's Lupe's intent, or if it's just applying meaning after the fact. I don't know if anyone spoke on this already because I do believe some of the stuff people are coming up with about this album is b.s., but it is definitely clear this album is more than something to take at face value. Anyway,

There exists a style of painting known as Abstract Expressionism. It does not attempt to create the illusion of space; it does not have subject matter, nor theme; the content is paint. In Abstract Expressionism, the artist does not try to paint a picture (this is what cameras are for). Rather, he or she wants to stay true to the nature of the paint, not trying to bend the medium. It is literally going with the flow.

Jackson ? created a large scale painting titled "Mural" (1943). As with most of his work, the piece was done in the style of Abstract Expressionism. Given Lupe Fiasco's love of art, and that the cover of this album is a painting of his done in the style of Abstract Expressionism, I don't believe it to be much of a reach to say that Lupe is vocally emulating the style of Jackson ? . Obviously not in the purest sense, which would require him to be off-beat, random, and speaking in syllables that don't relate to each other. Rather, Lupe could be using the desire of Abstract Expressionists to create something free. Like ? 's "Mural," Lupe's is a break from the traditional structure. ? 's was a grandiose piece representing a break from representational painting that had dominated the western art world for thousands of years. Lupe's mural represents a break from the fiercely traditional structure of 16 bar verses with choruses in between that hip-hop is known for. Like ? 's painting, it is grandiose in size, it is nearly 9 minutes in length, unlike the 3-5 minute average of most rap songs. Some describe ? 's manner of painting as violent, because instead of carefully applying paint to the canvas as most painters have done, he flung it, threw it, and whipped it from his paintbrush. The style was unapologetic, as is Lupe's style on "Mural," in which he relentlessly throws hundreds (I haven't exactly counted) of bars at you. Through vastness, style, and repudation from all conventional methods of the past, "Mural" is as overwhelming as "Mural." That's how Lupe introduces you to this album.

I THINK.

Bruh

This post was excellent and timely 'cos I was listening to the album this morning in the gym and came across this line on 'Mural'.. .

I sit back and watch the world through the eye holes in my oil paintings ..
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Tbh I haven't really liked an album this much since pusha t ? .
  • EarPlug0128
    EarPlug0128 Members Posts: 282 ✭✭
    Options
    They Resurrect Over New is just mind blowing.
  • EarPlug0128
    EarPlug0128 Members Posts: 282 ✭✭
    Options
    "Black magic, matter of fact, if matter is fact,
    a matter factory is in the making perhaps"
    Ab Soul is genius
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trying to find dinosaurs in the Bible.... Dope line.. reminds me of me getting in trouble in Sunday school for asking that question as a child
  • MontyM.Max
    MontyM.Max Members Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My ? the biggest Lupe fan I know and he claims that the album plays in reverse as The Cool 2. Idk how true it is but he does say reference The Cool
    on Body of Work.
  • daboyag1
    daboyag1 Members, Writer Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My homie was putting me on to the whole youth concept of the album, the video game references in Adoration of Magi, TRON, and the bebe's kids reference on Delivery, etc..
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just listened to TY and The Cool back to back. As much as I love The Cool...

Tetsuo and Youth >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can't stop bumpin this

Yea I'm bout to play this out ... I can already tell
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options
    chiyosuke wrote: »
    Just listened to TY and The Cool back to back. As much as I love The Cool...

Tetsuo and Youth >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Woooooow really??? Hmmm
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been said this is his best album to date.
  • c. skillz
    c. skillz Members Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Options
    Been unproductive as hell at work for the last week listening to this. Not an album you can listen to in passing.

Love the album and that he made the album he wanted to make...Not ready to put it above The Cool tho, and doubt I ever will.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options
    I like this album alot but I cant put this over his first 2
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options
    Also, It looks like lupe is back on twitter, he's asking everyone what should be his next video
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options
    Lupe said during that Sway interview that his homie has been running his twitter.