Will Smith Says ‘After Earth’ Film Is The ‘Most Painful Failure’ Of His Career, Claims He Was Broken

Options

Comments

• vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I gotta agree with Will.
    After Earth was a massive L.
    There are just some jobs you gotta turn down.

Can't turn it down when Will wrote the story...Hollywood should've turned will down
  • K_Fisher
    K_Fisher Members Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's not the movie that was the problem, because the plot was decent.His mistake was turning it into a Vanity /nepotism project by casting his son and more annoyingly playing as his son in the movie.That was basically a smack in the face of movie fans.."Look at me am will smith and ill cast my son in this sci fi movie, ? what you say..you will still go watch it and it will be a success" Nope.

Guarantee it could've done more numbers if someone else played the son.I haven't watched it and never will, since I saw the cast line up.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BZb-3LrE70

Episode 391 One ? at a Time

In that Episode of Tariq Nasheed's old Mack Lessons Radio podcast, Flex talks about how Jaden is good actor and After Earth wasn't that bad of movie. According to Flex, all of the bad reviews was due to Hollywood's unwritten, One ? at a Time rule and Hollywood was g checkin' The Fresh Prince. The clip starts at 23:29-27:27

• Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I still supported the movie, Idk about yall but it was refreshing to see two African American males as leads in a sci-fi movie. It was another comedy or a "Tyler perry" type drama.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ . Bad Boys 3

Martin is done. Yall dont want that , trust me
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ back to Academy status

The elephant in the room is Will Smith is a ? actor.

Or more accutately, he's limited.

He can be good in an I Robot or I am Legend, but in the wrong movie he can be glaringly bad.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bad boys 3 here we come
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think focus should be nice
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD9ZNJKTtzk

Will and his co-star on Top Gear when they came over to Britain to promote Focus .. .

Starts at 31:00
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My kids love the movie...*shrugs
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The accent they used in the movie was pretty bad.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It would have been better if Will was doing anything other than sitting in a chair the whole movie. That's a waste of money.

Movie is nowhere near the worst, its ok. One of those movies you'll catch on TNT on a Sunday before the NFL games kicks off.
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »

As they should.

My son digs it as well and I didn't think it was so bad myself.

And it was good to see my lil mans root for Kitai, someone who looks like him, as opposed to all his other favorite white-ass Marvel superheroes or talking turtles.

If you really wanna know what the critics' problem with the movie was, there it is. Sure it isn't a perfect flick, but it was was overbashed because there were no white saviors to be found anywhere in it. Idgaf what the hell they veil their criticisms with.
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dunno, Will Smith turned down The Matrix for Wild Wild West. Have a think about that for a moment.

He also turned down Django to film After Earth. He said he turn it down because he needed to be the lead and Django "plays second fiddle" to the bounty hunter.
  • mikelewis
    mikelewis Members Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    Options
    BoogaSuga wrote: »

He also turned down Django to film After Earth. He said he turn it down because he needed to be the lead and Django "plays second fiddle" to the bounty hunter.

Didn't the bounty hunter wind up winning Best Supporting Actor for that role too???
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »

If you really wanna know what the critics' problem with the movie was, there it is. Sure it isn't a perfect flick, but it was was overbashed because there were no white saviors to be found anywhere in it. Idgaf what the hell they veil their criticisms with.

This scene pretty much sums up the movie and it's criticisms.

White savior, black savior, or no savior this is a bad scene. Which also means this scene was the best out of who knows how many takes it took just to get this one. They probably did 15 takes, and this was the best of the worst. Lol
    http://youtu.be/H2HWDys9bdg

• Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont understand how people gave Will flack for casting his son.

Damm near all of Hollywood is comprised of partisanships. Nepotism didnt start with Will Smith but they made sure he got criticized for it.

Many lists included Will and Jaden as the worst case of nepotism. Foh. Will did the impossinle got a sci fi movie made starring two black people.

I aint seen it Im just saying.
  • Anti_matter
    Anti_matter Members Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As far as nepotism ? up a movie is concerned...

Sofia Coppola
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    Even with two Black leads it wasn't a very enjoyable film for me personally even though I rented it to watch. ..

Like I said earlier nice concept with the plot line but very poor execution unto screen.. .
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Nepotism talk is ? and they know it. In fact, it proves that they didn't want more than one black person as the lead in the movie if you ask me.

My main complaint was the director they chose. He is not the one to do a sci-fi movie of that caliber. Should of got somebody more geared towards action/adventure type movies. His vision of the movie was just wrong. The alien back story was cheap as well if I remember right. I didn't like the way Will handled his character, either.

Like I shouldn't even notice these kinds of things while I'm watching a movie.

Jayden was cool, though. He played the role he was suppose to play.
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    Nepotism talk is ? and they know it. In fact, it proves that they didn't want more than one black person as the lead in the movie if you ask me.

My main complaint was the director they chose. He is not the one to do a sci-fi movie of that caliber. Should of got somebody more geared towards action/adventure type movies. His vision of the movie was just wrong. The alien back story was cheap as well if I remember right. I didn't like the way Will handled his character, either.

Like I shouldn't even notice these kinds of things while I'm watching a movie.

Jayden was cool, though. He played the role he was suppose to play.

Exactly

Better script(s), CGI, production design, more especially directing and acting were all missing

The first shot in the foot was hiring M. Night whose last hit was Signs in 2002
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ah yea that reminds me there wasn't enough aliens in the film
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Had absolutely nothing to do with black leads.

Yall acting like white people dont LOVE Will Smith.

His son is pretty hateable tho.
  • skull_duggery
    skull_duggery Members Posts: 3
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ⌗After Earth flopped, simply because the idea of the movie was wack. If earth was meant to be uninhabitable, there's no way it would be able to sustain any life such as living creature's besides humans, also no forest or trees or water could be sustained, which is what was shown a lot throughout this movie.

And the line that "Everything on this planet has been evolved to ? humans", which I took as referring to the wild animals, well light bulb, animals [especially wild ones] have always been killing humans.

Other than that, thought the acting was so-so, the quality was nice,it's not the worst film I've seen in my opinion, but I wouldn't rate it as one of the best
  • Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I dont understand how people gave Will flack for casting his son.

Damm near all of Hollywood is comprised of partisanships. Nepotism didnt start with Will Smith but they made sure he got criticized for it.

Many lists included Will and Jaden as the worst case of nepotism. Foh. Will did the impossinle got a sci fi movie made starring two black people.

I aint seen it Im just saying.

Digging them females in ya sig. IDGAF about this movie.