Geraldo Rivera: Hip-Hop’s Done ‘More Damage’ to Minorities Than Racism in the Last Decade..

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in The Reason
mediaite.com/online/geraldo-hip-hops-done-more-damage-to-minorities-than-racism-in-the-last-decade/
Fresh off coming in second on Celebrity Apprentice, Geraldo Rivera stopped by HuffPost Live today for a chat. But they did dive into politics as Rivera said he believes that “hip-hop has done more damage to black and brown people than racism in the last ten years.”

And it’s not just hip-hop, it’s fashion, because he challenged people to find “a Puerto Rican from the South Bronx or a black kid from Harlem who has succeeded in life… walking around with his pants around his ass and with visible tattoos.”

Rivera cited Russell Simmons as someone he likes, but someone who should also acknowledge that by encouraging this culture, he and others” have encouraged people to be so different from the mainstream that they can’t participate other than, you know, the racks in the garment center and those entry-level jobs.”

29-Camron-NP.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ0ikZM2HEg

Video added...

Comments

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Geraldo's right about one thing;

Find a Puerto Rican from the South Bronx or a Black kid from Harlem who has succeeded in life walking around with his pants around his ass and visible tattoos.

I'll wait.
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

Find a Puerto Rican from the South Bronx or a Black kid from Harlem who has succeeded in life walking around with his pants around his ass and visible tattoos.

I'll wait.

What
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Seriously. I live in Trenton, NJ and it's bad out here. The kids walk around in 10 degree weather with their ass poking out over their belt with their underwear showing. It doesn't make any sense. If I was a manager and interviewed any of these kids, as soon as the interview was over and they turned around to walk away, as soon as I noticed their pants sagging to their knees (which I'd probably notice as soon as they walked in) I'd throw their resume and application in the garbage.
  • HerbalVaporCapers
    HerbalVaporCapers Members Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This mufucka did more damage to eyeballs than a decade full of beheading videos with just one picture

Geraldo.jpg

• qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? , anything to ? on hiphop but these ? fuckas stay biting, stealing, and using our ? . Pay us what you owe and watch how many are successful then
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

I'll wait.
    ^^^
    See, people who believe ? like this are exactly why idiots like Rivera spout their ? unabashedly. He knows he has an audience who agrees with anything that implies it's people of color's fault for racism in America.

Ok

I'll let you explain it since obviously you know more about it than me.

1. Why do Black and Latino youth walk around with their pants sagging in between their ass and their knees?

2. What's more important in life; fitting in with your peers or having a profession so you can make a living?
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Was Time I respected the guy back when he would fight and punch racist whites in the face but as we see often reprograming in effect.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't understand, do all people who listen to Beethoven or Mendlehossn become CEOs or Senators? No.

I will say this, if I've learned anything from that Tanning of America ? it's that hip-hop is actually becoming more an more mainstream and not the antithesis of it. So that argument is becoming more and more moot.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's going to have to be more specific because last I checked a genre of music can't be responsible for anything, it's those who use it to bamboozle people are at fault. The duck tales about 92 bricks or knowing the real Noreaga. Along with the Lyor Cohens Doug Morris's and other white overseers that back this ? that makes up the majority of mainstream rap. ? is a chitlin circuit. What someone informed would argue is why is there a steady decline in substantive music that challenges and examines the status quo, not the tiresome "? ain't ? " routine Geraldo is on.