Big Sean-Dark Sky Paradise-Official Album Thread (2/24/15)

Options

Comments

• DetroitBoi313
    DetroitBoi313 Members Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Preview: We Heard Big Sean's 'Dark Sky Paradise' And It's Pretty Damn Great

Five things we learned from a first listen of Big Sean's Dark Sky Paradise

Scheduled in the midst of Grammy weekend in Los Angeles, the listening event for Big Sean’s Dark Sky Paradise is a hot ticket. Hosted at Soho House LA, the session caps at an exclusive 60 people, reserved for media, music industry folks, Big Sean and his mom, of course. But once you’ve got that golden RSVP—thanks Def Jam!—finding the small, plush theater is the hardest part.

You’ll run into Pharrell and Terrence J, separately, in the parking lot while making your way to the correct tower. (Later, Nicki Minaj and Meek Mill will stroll into the hotel’s restaurant, hand-in-hand). But once you wander into the West Hollywood hotel’s cinema room, Big Sean is the only star holding court. You’ll pick out your own red armchair, kick up your feet on a personal ottoman and set a flute of Moët & Chandon Rosé Impérial on your side table, while the G.O.O.D. Music vet introduces his third long-player, seemingly both proud and nervous.

“There are so many emotions in this album,” says the 26-year-old, with a looped video of gloomy clouds and the album title projected on a movie screen behind him. “From rapping about my grandma to different situations I went through, hitting so many low points and high points at the same time.” You feel those ups and downs through the 15-song playlist (including bonus tracks), but Dark Sky Paradise (out Feb. 24) is mostly a brooding affair. In just one listen, it’s clear that Big Sean has finally found the edge—and focus—his discography needed. Here are five early takeaways from the best and most cohesive album of his career. —John Kennedy (@youngJFK)

1. This is Big Sean at his darkest
    Sean’s first two LPs, Finally Famous: The Album and Hall of Fame, are both built around vibrant turn-up smoothies, from “My Last” and “High” on the former to “Beware” and “Fire” on the latter. The sonic skies are much greyer here. “I Know,” a lethargic duet with Jhené Aiko, is produced by DJ Mustard yet void of the electro bounce for which he’s become known. An extended version of “Paradise,” originally leaked as a snippet by Sean as part of his four-song drop in September, sounds nothing like its title implies, dragging along with Mike WiLL Made It’s low-register tuba and synth sounds. Even when Sean toasts to prosperity with Drake on “Blessings,” there’s an overcast blocking out the suns rays (“Amen,” Drizzy’s 2012 collabo with Meek Mill, would be it’s musical inverse). Big Sean steps into the dark side and it works.

2. But there are bright spots
    Lead single “I Don’t ? With You”—with it’s grade-A pettiness—is easily the most radiant record on DSP. But the clouds clear by closing tracks. Sean uses an optimistic piano key sound bed on “One Man Can Change The World” to eulogize his late grandmother, who passed away in December after having a stroke: “When I die I hope you teach me how to fly/All my life you been that angel in disguise.” It’s warm and genuine and... why are you still reading this? Go call your grandma and tell her you love her!

“Outro” just has that knock. Pounding drums. Light guitar strings. A sliced-up vocal sample. And a hook-free barrage of punchlines, including this clever couplet: “All these singer ? know me/like do-re-mi/fa-so-la-ti-do, but dough come first, no late fees.” But once the run time elapses, fittingly, the sound of thunder rolls in and fades out.

3. Every guest holds his (or her) own
    But there’s no “Control” moment on Dark Sky Paradise. In fact, Sean probably shines brightest on “Blessings” alongside hip-hop’s number one and two, Kanye West and Drake (in no particular order). Still, nothing is phoned in. Chris Brown and Ty Dolla $ign unite for another anthem (“Play No Games”). Sean trades bars with Kanye on the dope “All Your Fault.” Wayne shows he’s still got it on “Deep” (although his Cash Money shoutout dates the extended verse to sometime pre-Birdman beef). And ever since Detroit’s “I’m Gonna Be,” Sean and Jhené Aiko have been batting 1.000.

4. The deluxe version is worth the extra $
    Once you make it to the bonus tracks, the mood lifts. Melodies get a bit lighter. And Sean has some fun. On “Research” he vents about having Robocop for a GF, mocking: “These hoes be doing research/I swear, she like, ‘This piece of hair up in the sink ain’t come from me first,’” as his real-life wifey Ariana Grande floats all over the hook. He’s nostalgic on “Platinum & Wood” and the PARTYNEXTDOOR-featured “Deserve It.” The former reminisces on pre-fame high school days while the latter cleverly recalls a tale of a run-in with a woman named Alicia, a top-percentile baddest chick of his graduating class. (Cryptic moral of the story: Everything ain’t for everybody.)

5. This might be Big Sean’s best project to date
    Dark Sky Paradise has a conciseness, honesty and confidence to rival his awesome freebie, Detroit. Sean’s unique flow hops on and off the tracks every now and again, but his wordplay is at its wittiest. I’ve only heard the album once, but it’s sounding like Sean’s potential and performance have finally intersected. See for yourself when DSP drops on Feb. 24. And grab the deluxe (see #4)!

http://www.vibe.com/article/preview-big-seans-dark-sky-paradise-album
  • DetroitBoi313
    Options
    PREVIEW: BIG SEAN’S “DARK SKY PARADISE” SERVES AS HIS COMING OUT PARTY

This past weekend was a pretty eventful one for Big Sean. As the Grammy Awards rolled through Los Angeles, it was the California born-Detroit raised G.O.O.D. Music mainstay that made one of the biggest impressions of anyone throughout the weekend. Although Kanye West’s antics during and after the popular awards show, it was his protege that got most of the people talking throughout the weekend.

It started on Friday afternoon when Sean invited select members of the media and industry folks to listen to his brand new album, Dark Sky Paradise in it’s entirety. The listening session, which took place in Soho House in Los Angeles, started off with a video montage that chronicled the rappers journey from his humble beginnings and rapping for Kanye West outside of a radio station to where he is now. Narrated by the MC and devoid of any background music, the video really hammered home Sean’s trials and tribulations since the release of his critically-panned yet moderately commercially successful sophomore album, Hall Of Fame.

He would touch on his failed engagement with Naya Rivera, the passing of his grandmother, falling for Ariana Grande, and his own struggles for growth as a solo artist. The album has a decidedly more focused and serious tone that hasn’t been seen since the release of his masterful mixtape, Detroit. The loss of his grandmother seems to be the focal point of Sean’s growth, which he briefly speaks on in his single, “Blessings.”

The album begins with the lo-fi produced “Dark Sky (Skyscrapers).” Much like on the intro for Detroit, and intros of his past work, Sean catches you up on what you may have missed about his journey. Sure by now, you know all about how he got here (rapping for ‘Ye at a radio station, album pushbacks, mixtape delays, eventual success), but this is the first intro where he specifically states why he’s here. In the past, he’s always spoke about how proud he was of his grandmother and the strength that she showed throughout her life. Mildred V. Leonard, who passed away at the age of 93 this past December, is as inspirational as it gets. She was black female Captain in World War 2 and was a police officer in the city of Detroit. When Sean dives deep into his own consciousness to find strength in his life, he often times mentions the strength her grandmother had in a time when it wasn’t easy to have it. That is driven home on the album’s intro, which sonically serves as an interlude to “Blessings,” featuring Drake.

The third song which features Kanye West and distant adlibs from Travis $cott is titled “All Your Fault.” Produced by West, OG Webbie and Mano, it is an early stand-out on the album. Riding off of the momentum of “Blessings,” it features ‘Ye and Sean trading verses back and forth in the style of their early hit “Marvin Gaye & Chardonnay” but without the cheekiness of their earlier collaborations. The song features the soulful production precision of earlier West music with the hard-hitting energy of recent G.O.O.D. collaborations like “Mercy” and “Clique.” That song leads right into the E-40 featured hit “IDFWU.”

The massive “IDFWU” is followed by a song which has the potential to be just as big a hit for Sean called “Play No Games.” Produced by Key Wane and featuring Chris Brown and Ty Dolla $ign, the song has just as much soul as anything Sean has put out in his career. Much like all the collaborations on this album, and contrary to his past work, Sean doesn’t let the feature artists of the song overpower him on the record. Brown and Ty’s contributions to the records are mostly there to enhance. While Brown handles hook duties on the record, Ty Dolla brings it home at the end with a memorable bridge that drew a round of applause once the song ended in the theater. It was one of those songs that you hear once and knew that you were going to hear it over and over again in the coming months.

“Deep” was a record that I wasn’t crazy about as it started. However, a memorable Lil Wayne verse saved all of that at the very end. While most would probably think Wayne would take his spot to talk about how great he is, he dedicated the entire verse to Sean’s lyrical prowess. He explains in vivd detail why Sean doesn’t get as much credit as he deserves, pointing mostly to his clean cut image devoid of any tattoos or gang affiliations. Wayne says that if Sean was more like the Young Money maestro, alluding to his own criminal past, tattoos, and gang signs, that Sean would be more celebrated. He details how hard it is for a young rapper to bare his soul on records about family, fame, betrayal and love while ending his stanzas with “man, that s**t deep” like a lyrical comma.

The soulful tone throughout the album hits a crescendo on “One Man Can Change The World” featuring West and John Legend. While this Kanye feature is a lot more subdued than the earlier “All Your Fault,” John Legend does his John Legend thing where he makes us pass around a collection plate mid-song. If this writer was executive producing this album, he would’ve ended the album right there on this track. However, Sean’s “Outro” serves as a nice bookend to a project that serves as his best work since Detroit. In many aspects, it is better than Detroit because of the cohesion and the laser-like focus on this record. It seems like Sean refused to stick to one flow on each song and when he uses one verse to ride the beat, he almost always on cue goes for a double-time verse on his next stanza.

The bonus cuts have a decidedly different tone than the rest of the album. Although the songs are good, you can tell that they didn’t fit with the desired theme of Dark Sky Paradise. The PARTYNEXTDOOR-featured “Deserve It” has the OVO Sound crooner in more of a rapping pocket than a singing pocket. While the fun-loving “Research,” featuring Sean’s main squeeze Ariana Grande, has just as much single-potential as any song on the album. “Research” serves as an anthem for people in relationships who live in a social age of finding out everything about a person you are romantically interested in on the internet, in your cell phone, or through mutual friends. Sean turns the tables on women in the song who fish for something wrong in phones, DMs and more while name-dropping famous artists that a women he may have met that may have been linked with. Artists like Trey Songz, Drake and Chris Brown are rapped about by Sean, in which he mentions that they might all laugh and giggle when he would bring a girl around, knowing that she may have been “loving the crew” in more ways than one.

All in all, Dark Sky Paradise is a welcomed return to form for Sean who seemingly had the world in his hands in 2012. He refused to be out-rapped on any record on the G.O.O.D. Music collaboration album, Cruel Summer, and followed up those standout performances with what was arguably the best mixtape of that year in Detroit. While Hall Of Fame had its moments, it seemed to linger on entirely too long while a lot of the songs were heavy on features but wasn’t as lyrically dense as Detroit.

Dark Sky Paradise is concise, focused, and soulful. It’ll be hard to find fault in his latest work. Sean’s already a success, but this album should be the project that brings Sean to the upper-echelon of his rap peers. Drake took the first step and J. Cole joined him after the release of 2014 Forest Hills Drive. Only time will tell if this is Sean’s coming out party. It should be.

Dark Sky Paradise hits stores on February 24th, 2014.

http://thestashed.com/2015/02/10/preview-big-seans-dark-sky-paradise-serves-coming-party/
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn Im hype now 2-24-15
  • DetroitBoi313
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Big Sean - One Man Can Change The World (ft Kanye West & John Legend)
    http://www.sharebeast.com/wt9rvfk5c00s
  • Bcotton5
    Options
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    YMGOOD

Dark Sky Paradise 2-24-15 @DetroitBoi313 Detroit stand up!

big-sean-featured-on-lil-wayne-tha-carter-5-album.jpg

Kazeem Famuyide from STASHED got the chance to listen to Big Sean‘s upcoming Dark Sky Paradise album, which will be released in stores later this month on February 24th.

During the listening session, Kazeem mentioned that he wasn’t feeling Sean‘s “Deep” song featuring Lil Wayne until “a memorable Lil Wayne verse saved all of that at the very end”.

He also revealed that Weezy was rapping all about Big Sean in his verse and going into detail about why Sean does not get enough credit for his lyrics like he should do.

You can read the review for “Deep” after the jump below. Does this get you more hyped for the Key Wane-produced collaboration?

“‘Deep’ was a record that I wasn’t crazy about as it started. However, a memorable Lil Wayne verse saved all of that at the very end. While most would probably think Wayne would take his spot to talk about how great he is, he dedicated the entire verse to Sean’s lyrical prowess. He explains in vivid detail why Sean doesn’t get as much credit as he deserves, pointing mostly to his clean-cut image devoid of any tattoos or gang affiliations. Wayne says that if Sean were more like the Young Money maestro, alluding to his own criminal past, tattoos, and gang signs, then Sean would be more celebrated. He details how hard it is for a young rapper to bare his soul on records about family, fame, betrayal and love while ending his stanzas with ‘man, that ? deep’ like a lyrical comma.”

Read more at http://www.lilwaynehq.com/2015/02/lil-wayne-raps-about-big-sean-on-their-deep-collaboration-off-dark-sky-paradise/#3ESFm0SdVO3vpz8h.99
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    awww ? now we've got bcotton and dayday crossing over. thank ? sean doesn't have his own label or we'd be getting threads about his artists too
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YoungChamp wrote: »
    I might get clowned for this but his second album was way better than his first . I still bump it . He just hasn't reached upper echelon yet. We'll see if this album can take him there

Most IC cats think his second album is better than his first so you won't get clowned for it.

I personally prefer his first album.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Really want this to be good but I'm not getting my hopes up
  • Bcotton5
    Options
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    leak?

Prolly leak lata this evening...
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is piff right here. If this album is anything like the Detroit mixtape (which this track would have fit perfectly on) then it should be quite dope.
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    its about to be classic
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    is that Jhene Aiko singing?
  • D.Original
    D.Original Members Posts: 734 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Big Sean aint made ? worth listenin too since lemonade
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YoungChamp wrote: »
    I might get clowned for this but his second album was way better than his first . I still bump it . He just hasn't reached upper echelon yet. We'll see if this album can take him there

Most IC cats think his second album is better than his first so you won't get clowned for it.

I personally prefer his first album.

I'm not really into Sean's music but his first album is surprisingly dope. And I might give this one a listen because of the joints I already heard
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    should be leaking any time now
  • DetroitBoi313
    Options
  • j28
    j28 Members Posts: 20
    Options
    Anyone got the link?
  • Bcotton5
    Options
  • DetroitBoi313
    edited February 2015
    Options
    No more fronting on Sean after this lol. Dope album. His best album to date.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Best album to date isn't really sayin anything
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    I'll listen later tonight