More and More People Are Cutting The Cord

Options
r.prince18
r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
Young people are ditching their television sets even faster than in previous years, according to new data, with traditional TV usage falling among viewers age 18-34 falling at twice the normal rate in the recent September to January season.

A new Nielsen survey shows that traditional TV usage among millennial viewers tumbled 10.6% between September and January, the New York Post reports. Since 2012, traditional TV usage had only been falling at about 4% a year from season to season.

The sudden acceleration of young people dropping TV in favor of Netflix surprised many analysts. “The change in behavior is stunning. The use of streaming and smartphones just year-on-year is double-digit increases,” Alan Wurtzel, NBCUniversal’s audience research chief, told the Post. “I’ve never seen that kind of change in behavior.”

In 2011, 21.7 million young adults were tuning in to their TV sets, but that figure fell to 17.8 million last month, a drop of almost 20%. That trend is likely to continue as more millennials turn to online video streaming from Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO GO and other sources.
-Time

Comments

• CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only have my TV for my Xbox One and the Wii U. Who still has cable?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    Hopefully this results in cable company's making their ? a lot cheaper.

I still wouldn't buy, so fed up of all the garbage in between the good ? . I got netflix, I see one commercial or ad tho....
  • Cinco
    Cinco Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    $140 a month and I barely watch it
    I should try.
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I had every damn channeland only watched food network n travel chan

Too much fuckim money for chopped and diners drive ins and dives smh
  • I Self Lord & Master
    edited February 2015
    Options

I can see this makin the prices go up tbh.....gotta recoup

Lots of places are implementing "fcc regulated" laws to where u can't even get the basic 5 or 6 channels u get with plugging in a cord to a tv without a cable company issued cable box....u got a cable bill jus to watch the news

Its a ? game!
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options

I still wouldn't buy, so fed up of all the garbage in between the good ? . I got netflix, I see one commercial or ad tho....

I feel you but If the ? is cheap it wont matter. Paying $100+ for all that ? is the dumbest ? of all time. They keep coming up with numbers like this going lower and lower they wont have a choice but to make it cheap.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I feel you but If the ? is cheap it wont matter. Paying $100+ for all that ? is the dumbest ? of all time. They keep coming up with numbers like this going lower and lower they wont have a choice but to make it cheap.
    I don't think cable is going to get cheaper. Netflix already upped their cost(still cheap tho) for new members. Either people are going to keep paying more or they are going to get ads and commercials. I don't care either way, I could go the rest of my life without a tell a vision. The only reason I got netflix is cuz I'm scarred from my brother calling me ? mom for not giving the kids cable.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont watch tv at all anymore
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I need cable for my Bulls games tho
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everything on tv is on the internet these days so paying for cable is really just a luxury... still tho I go an antenna and turn on the tv for background noise sometimes, like the one with all that old ?
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't own a TV.
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I went without cable for four years and just recently got it back because I really need my espn and sports channels. However, Time Warner is a ? aberration and I can't wait for my contract to be up. And U-Verse isn't available in my area. Smh.

I dream for the day when I can stream basketball and football games.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    I went without cable for four years and just recently got it back because I really need my espn and sports channels. However, Time Warner is a ? aberration and I can't wait for my contract to be up. And U-Verse isn't available in my area. Smh.

Coooooo muhfuckin sign even tho I go to bars to watch Football.
  • I Self Lord & Master
    Options
    BarryHalls wrote: »
    Like Water wrote: »

U ain't heard of thefirstrow.eu or sportsbeech.com? When I'm overseas during the nfl/nba season, those are my go to sites. Also for boxing/ufc PPVs.

I just stream it, mirror it using Apple TV onto my 60in TV, expand the window and BOOM.

? cable.

Mirror it from ur comp to apple tv? I need to kno how seamless it is because chrromecast mirroring is kinda wack

Although it could be this ? ass computer idk