Dame Dash Throwing Shots At Jay (Again)

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
I thought Jay owned the masters to that album after the split?

caption:
Ownership is important music is like art and can pay your kids kids bills in the future...don't give up ownership for a paper bag full of money it will only feed you for a day...don't hustle for your first name hustle for your last i know that's what I do... Owning music is like owning art...I have a catalog of great music including this and I savor that like fine wine pause....I remember how hard they went to get this one from us... Not a chance

Comments

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Dame is right though.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    how is this shots at Jay?

Small and petty but it sounds like he's throwing shots at him by tellin Jay he still owns the rights to that album.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't Jay have a 360 tho???
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    not a shot
    but it seems like we rarely hear about dame unless he's talking about someone else
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bout sick of this old ass ? pausing everything
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    Don't Jay have a 360 tho???

Yea but his last few albums (BP3, WTT and MCHG) have bn specifically copyrighted to himself (WTT was split copyrighted by Shawn Carter and Rocafella Records LLC. [considering that's the company Ye was signed to], the latter of which was owned by UMG) I'd assume he owns the masters and the only other people eating off them are the distributors.
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How does this masters thing work? Like how does Dame make money of it. It aint like lots of people be buyin RD in 2015
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    Nah Son wrote: »
    How does this masters thing work? Like how does Dame make money of it. It aint like lots of people be buyin RD in 2015

Yea that's been throwing me off as well...
  • WiseGuyy
    WiseGuyy Members Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Album sales, streams, samples, singles, all that comes back to him to negotiate. And he can sell the masters too if it ever came down to it.
  • Stew
    Options
    Dame be like "Hi how you doin? Pause"

That ? ass Dipshits movement.
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What I think when Dame be goin' off on his rants & ? is Dame really wants to make music with them dudes again, all of 'em. From Jay, Kanye, Just Blaze, etc.
  • Stew
    Options

Whoever owns the masters is making the most money off of that particular album for the rest of life. It may not be selling(cd wise) but believe somebody is still making bank off of that album.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    I have a question is a master just one copy? Cause if Jay dame and Biggs own RD how does that ? work
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have a question is a master just one copy? Cause if Jay dame and Biggs own RD how does that ? work

I thought Jay, Dame, & Biggs all owned a piece of the Reasonable Doubt masters
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    9TRAY wrote: »

I thought Jay, Dame, & Biggs all owned a piece of the Reasonable Doubt masters

I believe that's the case. Part of the reason they had beef if because Jay already left them with nothing, he tried to buy their rights to the RD masters but they weren't going.
  • The Nuisance
    The Nuisance Members Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
    Options
    WiseGuyy wrote: »

Album sales, streams, samples, singles, all that comes back to him to negotiate. And he can sell the masters too if it ever came down to it.

Film and commercial placements get that bread too. Same way they had to clear samples now others have to pay them clear samples
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I see but RD really isnt used or sampled that much in pop culture like movies, commercials or new rap songs. I couldnt think of one example where someone used a song from RD for anything like that
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well, if you own the master and a TV show or movie uses that version, you do get paid for it. Mechanical royalties. But if someone re-records the song, only the publisher and usually the writer get paid (unless you are stupid and sign away your publishing like the Lox or DOC).
  • Stew
    Options
    Stew wrote: »

Whoever owns the masters is making the most money off of that particular album for the rest of life. It may not be selling(cd wise) but believe somebody is still making bank off of that album.

The masters is just the original version of the album prior to it getting duplicated.

It's completely different topic as to who owns the publishing of Reasonable Doubt.

Help me out here brotha, how does Dame own the masters and not get the publishing rights?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All I know is there's a commercial that's been getting played lately that uses the Blueprint2 beat. I think it's a car commercial. They play it a lot in the evening.

And there's another commercial that's getting played that uses Rapture by Blondie.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    now post the actual shots he taking at culture vultures and crooked industry ppl.
  • FourEfil
    FourEfil Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So any time sports commercials uses Onyx's "slam", Fredro, Sticky & Sonsee get a check?
  • Stew
    edited February 2015
    Options

The masters is just the original version of the album prior to it getting duplicated.

It's completely different topic as to who owns the publishing of Reasonable Doubt.

Help me out here brotha, how does Dame own the masters and not get the publishing rights?

He owns a 3rd of the physical masters.

pressrelease_80761_1235955792.jpg

Im assuming the 2nd is Biggs, who is the 3rd? U didnt answer my question tho.