Patricia Arquette: "Time for ? people & people of color to fight for womens rights.''

Options

Comments

• Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Noir wrote: »
    All im saying is that the narrative for black women is rarely the topic for black men.

From a black woman's perspective, which narrative should i choose? Should I be black first, then have my voice be the collective for a united front but still go through sexism from black men? Or should I be a woman first, where i would be in a collective with all women, yet deal with racism and be shut out of the conversation because that space is ready to speak from a black woman's perspective, than letting a black woman speak from her perspective.
    Noir wrote: »
    All im saying is that the narrative for black women is rarely the topic for black men.

From a black woman's perspective, which narrative should i choose? Should I be black first, then have my voice be the collective for a united front but still go through sexism from black men? Or should I be a woman first, where i would be in a collective with all women, yet deal with racism and be shut out of the conversation because that space is ready to speak from a black woman's perspective, than letting a black woman speak from her perspective.

That is a dilemma isn't it?

I think the whole feminist movement was brought about with the idea of causing strife between men and women. And it was even more damaging for black people by further dividing us and causing conflicting views....

50smh.gif
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    feminism was originally brought about because some bored rich white women couldn't vote.

and then when divorce started becoming more popular here, then that's when they started going after real issues... but first and foremost the ? was all about white womens rights.

Exactly, they weren't giving a ? about women's rights when their men were ? over, ? and killing women of color on the regular. They were well taken care of, so everything was cool then smh.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What a shame. White women on average make more then Black Men and Women. Also, the wage disparity between Black Men and Women isn't that significant. Not to the point that speeches and protest need to happen.

I don't like when Whites hide behind the real issue. Which, is one thing White Men first and then White Women. We cannot allow ourselves to be sucked into their ? .
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll only fight for straight black females
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everything I've Ever Seen Her In She Look Like She Stank
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    White women's pain pales in comparison to the pain that black people have continually felt since we were slaves.

I'm inclined to agree with that. I'm not undermining sexism against women or claiming that it's fundamentally not as bad as racism against people of color but the majority of white men have never felt as disconnected to their own mothers, sisters, cousins etc. as they did to Africans, Native Americans and other people of color. Most sexism suffered by women is related to gender roles that disadvantage men as well. White women weren't brutally beaten or mutilated for running away or worked to death as some slaves were (if it ever happened, it wasn't legal or socially acceptable). In fact, a lot of legal rights denied to white women historically were coupled with responsibilities that they were spared, responsibilities that were given to their husbands (like being responsible for their wive's well-being, being punished for the crimes they committed or being conscripted into war).
    I'm tired of ? and white women trying to compare their struggle to black people. I'm also tired of our black "leaders" promoting the false comparison

I think that sexism against women and discrimination against homosexuals is just as bad as racism against people of color, though. ? have been beaten, abused, killed and (in some countries) incarcerated for being ? . I also think discrimination against men, whites and heterosexuals is as bad as the reverse, although I've never heard of heterosexuals being discriminated against.

• Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ubuntu1 wrote: »
    White women's pain pales in comparison to the pain that black people have continually felt since we were slaves.

I'm inclined to agree with that. I'm not undermining sexism against women or claiming that it's fundamentally not as bad as racism against people of color but the majority of white men have never felt as disconnected to their own mothers, sisters, cousins etc. as they did to Africans, Native Americans and other people of color. Most sexism suffered by women is related to gender roles that disadvantage men as well. White women weren't brutally beaten or mutilated for running away or worked to death as some slaves were (if it ever happened, it wasn't legal or socially acceptable). In fact, a lot of legal rights denied to white women historically were coupled with responsibilities that they were spared, responsibilities that were given to their husbands (like being responsible for their wive's well-being, being punished for the crimes they committed or being conscripted into war).
    I'm tired of ? and white women trying to compare their struggle to black people. I'm also tired of our black "leaders" promoting the false comparison

I think that sexism against women and discrimination against homosexuals is just as bad as racism against people of color, though. ? have been beaten, abused, killed and (in some countries) incarcerated for being ? . I also think discrimination against men, whites and heterosexuals is as bad as the reverse, although I've never heard of heterosexuals being discriminated against.

You can think what you like. Fact remains that's a lie.

We are speaking about America. Your opinion doesn't have any facts to back up your claims.

I don't what planet or country you inhabit but it certainly cannot be Earth or the USA.

• Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Ubuntu1 wrote: »

You can think what you like. Fact remains that's a lie.

We are speaking about America. Your opinion doesn't have any facts to back up your claims.

I don't what planet or country you inhabit but it certainly cannot be Earth or the USA.

I wasn't actually claiming that it was as bad in the sense that discrimination against women and ? people occurs as often as discrimination against people of color or that women and ? people are as harmed by sexism and anti-? /transgender hate as people of color are by racism (I'm not claiming the reverse either, that's besides the point). I meant that it's as bad in principle.

I forgot to add to my last post - childless women under 30 actually earn more than their male counterparts. If women generally earn less than men it's probably because they take more time off to care for their children or because, for cultural/social and maybe even biological reasons, they're more likely to favor occupations that pay less, not necessarily because of discrimination. Men are more likely to die because of work related accidents but feminists never see the 'discrimination' in this.
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    White women struggle in America ...and the year is 2015
    XwtT1nI.gif

They should check how other women in the middle east are "living" if they want to see a real struggle.

What's worse is this ? is over here talkin about how it's inexcusable for us to go around the world talkin about equal rights for women as if she has it worse over here or some ? .
  • cainvelasquez
    cainvelasquez Members Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She sees the 3 powerful movements in america right now (? , blacks and women)

But she dont see why dropping the rest to help hers is not going to make things better.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That makes sense and all but her wording makes it seem like women are separate entities. There are colored women as well. Like who are encompassing when you mention women?
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She wanna be Common and John Legend so bad.

Need to boycott that ? movie she won that award for.
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    she really telling us as a race....its time to do something...for someone else?
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Can't stand Hollywood, every year someone whining (and yes that includes Negroes) We all know the filth is filled with racists and sexists. How many times an award is given and the actor and not be able to work for the next couple years. There never been a better time to create your own ? , enough begging white people for a seat.
  • cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You want to know an issue about sexism and wage disparity that never comes up?

The types of work women do and the type of work men do. Higher risk = higher reward.

There's not as many female arc welders/construction workers/highly skilled manual workers as men. Not out of oppression but lack of application by women for such jobs.

When and if women engage and enter private sector and contracted government funded areas of commerce and trade, then we may see a sea change but sadly this is not happening, the ratios of employ in certain high risk and high earning fields has remained the same even while sciences, politics and education have benefited from more females engaging in those areas of employ and public service.

This is the argument that is ignored in favour of sexism because it's a lot easier to blame the evils of the establishment and the oppression of a patriarchal state of order than the possibility women quite simply aren't willing to do ? or high risk jobs that earn more while men tend to be more likely to apply for such positions.

Partly wrong, there's evidence that even when it's the same job, same education, same experience women make less
  • taeboo
    taeboo Members Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think she literally meant that people of color and ? should stop everything and solely focus on the wage gap.

And that twitter pic is ignorant. There were some whites who fought and even lost their lives for civil rights...

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    taeboo wrote: »
    I don't think she literally meant that people of color and ? should stop everything and solely focus on the wage gap.

And that twitter pic is ignorant. There were some whites who fought and even lost their lives for civil rights...

she aint gonna love u back... tuck your cape in... its disgusting.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    taeboo wrote: »

idgaf