Michelle Rodriguez: Minority Actors Should "Stop Stealing" White Superheroes

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pe0CF3g8UU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HetoXQbIDs

Not everyone is on board with diversity casting for traditionally white superhero roles.

Michelle Rodriguez, who will soon be seen in Furious 7, told TMZ that minority actors deserve their own characters, rather than playing white characters.

"Because of this whole 'minorities in Hollywood' thing ... it's so stupid," said the 36-year-old actress, whose mother is from the Dominican Republic and father is Puerto Rican. "Stop stealing all the white people's superheroes. Make up your own."

Rodriguez was also asked about a reported Internet rumor that she may appear in Warner Bros.' new Green Lantern film, slated for a 2020 release, to which she replied: "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard."

On Saturday, Rodriguez posted a video to Facebook explaining her remarks, apologizing "if [they] came off rude or stupid" and saying her quote about "stealing" was taken out of context.

In the video, she added: "It's not about taking Catwoman or Superman or Green Lantern ... and trying to make them fit to whatever cultural background you are. I just feel like it should be more creative than that, and I think that people need to stop being lazy."

Diversity in TV and film has been a hot-button issue lately, with #OscarsSoWhite trending after this year's slate of Academy Award nominees was comprised only of white actors.

Several roles that were initially conceived in comic books as white characters have been recently played on film by black actors, including Samuel L. Jackson embodying Nick Fury in the Marvel films and Michael B. Jordan as the Human Torch in the upcoming Fantastic Four reboot.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She had a point, but used the wrong examples.

It would've been better if she talked about Noah and Cleopatra instead, but.....like @BoldChild alluded to....that would mean she'd be taking too much of a stand against the white, corporate power structure in Hollywood.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's what it looks like when you rant about things you have no idea about. Like what's really irking this ? ?

deadeye wrote: »
    She had a point, but used the wrong examples.

It would've been better if she talked about Noah and Cleopatra instead, but.....like @BoldChild alluded to....that would mean she'd be taking too much of a stand against the white, corporate power structure in Hollywood.

Cosign.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can understand where she is coming from a bit but she still a ? and once again like many entertainers suffering from the "Illusion of Inclusion"

I don't like the fact that they made the Human Torch and Dead Shot black or that Aquaman is a Polynesian guy. It's like these writers or producers are afraid to give us diversity with actual minority characters that've been written about. It's like they are afraid to actually tackle these minority characters because they will have to point out how there backgrounds helped make them who they are. It just seems like they are changing the characters race to appease a quota.

I hate the fact that it took forever and many people complaining to finally get Black Panther green lit and I hate the fact that they didn't really go deep into Blade's background or that the only way Luke Cage is getting love is on Netflix and I hate the fact that the next Green Lantern will most likely not be John Stewart, or that the Blue Beetle and Nova will never get comics or that Storm was a mulatto "it" chick during the time, etc.........
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    Hispanics just showing which side their on as usual. No surprise to me. I can understand y some of yall r shocked though.
    These people aren't your friends but y all will learn they're competition.

? wake up calls comes in multiple forms though.

Funny how the same people some of them trying to kiss up to, are the same ones who don't even want them in this country.

@ had they wrote her a phat check to play Wonder Woman.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    That ? dont even read comicbooks.

Fake ass nerd.

How you a female and not know catwoman was black first?

Staple that ? tongue to a donkeys nuts
    actually she was white but nobody remembers her because ertha kitt killed the role. She's the one that got catwoman popping. She's the one who started all that iconic purring and ? . They might have always wanted a black woman to play catwoman though. Every now and then some of these people in the industry come out and admit that they wanted something other than a european to play main rolls. But they were worried the audience wouldn't support it and they would lose funding for their projects. Somebody recently came out and admitted this but I can't remember who. A thread was made about it here.

It's strange how they went and replaced the first actor with a black one back in those times. She was probably secretly smashing the producer or the director or something. A lot of that went on back in the day with the few black stars that were popping.
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmao, like Hollywood aint whitewashing the ? outta every movie.
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They had Aaron Paul playing tha ? Ramses lol....Aaron Paul....

for some reason, every movie that plays in the mid east/africa are loaded with british people.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Catwoman was always a white character in comics. Eartha Kitt wasn't even the first catwoman on the Batman TV Show.

Michelle is an idiot and known ? /weirdo in JC.. my brother smashed in the crib back in the day.

She not gonna say ? bout whitewashing in Hollywood. The current Green Lantern in Justice League is Latina btw.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't Christian Bale play Mosrs a few months ago?