Diversifying your musical interests in order to appear less stereotypical

Options
A Talented One
A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
You know what I'm talking about. There are black people who cultivate eclectic musical interests in order to seem less stereotypical -- so, for example, they might cultivate an interest in Indie Rock so as to not appear as the typical black person who likes hip hop and RnB. Or if they don't intentionally cultivate it, they emphasize certain elements of their musical interests to others for the same reason.

Looking back, I think I used to do the latter. But now I really don't give a ? .

I have been thinking about this after a date I had last weekend. Seems like she was looking at me a kind of way for the music that I was into (I actually like different kinds of music, but I don't feel a great need to emphasize the non-hop hop/RnB elements).

Anyway, have you guys noticed this, or done it yourself?

Comments

• Snatch Some Collars
    Snatch Some Collars Members Posts: 213 ✭✭
    Options
    People like that also wear clothes they not comfortable in, eat food they dont like, drink liquor they don't like, and change their speach patterns around certian people ...

I forgot what we call those
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some also do the opposite
  • CP203
    CP203 Members Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    honestly, i dont know any black people that do this.

they just like what they like.

thats what I'm saying, ? hanging with some weirdos who aren't comfortable being themselves
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ive found it more people like what they like and hide it around other blacks.

• iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea....I don't give a ? what people think i like what I like.
  • A Talented One
    Options
    By the way, it is not just with so-called white music that people do this. For example, I am sure brothers do this with neo-soul music to appear less stereotypical to women -- including black women.

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ehh, never changed what i liked just to fit in with ?

always just liked what i liked

didnt always broadcast it tho

if people called me lame for likin music with guitars n ? ? em
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blacktux wrote: »
    Ive found it more people like what they like and hide it around other blacks.

You'd be surprised. Then again maybe you wouldn't. There are plenty of black folks with different musical tastes and it's the same with TV shows, movies all kinds of stuff but yeah they tend to hide it.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rae sremmurd voice "i said, i like what i like"
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think normal black folks do this to appear less stereotypical

Black folks have created a wide variety of musics and it's pretty normal for people to grow up with all kinds of interests, from jazz to rock and techno to salsa.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Told y'all he was a ?
  • A Talented One
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Told y'all he was a ?

I actually did it primarily with neo-soul, and more often than not with black people. If that made me a ? , then there are a lot of ? out there.

But even if that did make someone a ? , how could it make me a ? now when I said I don't give a ? now?

• A Talented One
    Options
    Discrimination isn’t the only way that race plays into OkCupid’s romance chasing. Christian has also made some bizarrely stereotypical discoveries about what phrases are the most commonly found in each racial category’s information. White men commonly say they enjoy hunting and fishing, black men “dreads” and “neo-soul,” and Asian men “tall for an Asian.”

http://www.inquisitr.com/1555600/okcupid-data-reveals-shocking-truths-about-dating-hint-were-all-a-bunch-of-racists-video/
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only time you should change some thing about your self to please others is when you are trying to manipulate them for some greater reason
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options
    Told y'all he was a ?

I actually did it primarily neo-soul, and more often than not with black people. If that made me a ? , then there are a lot of ? out there.

But even if that did make someone a ? , how could it make me a ? now when I said I don't give a ? now?

Do you proofread before you post? Or do just type some ? that only makes sense in your head?

You were afraid to listen to certain types of music because you were worried of how white people would perceive you. Essentially kissing up to them and giving them power over your life.

You don't see the tap dancing ? in that?
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options
    Doesn't make your actions any less coonish now that you don't care(which I'm sure you still do)

And I'm pretty sure you're older than me. Never have I been ashamed to do what I like to do in fear of stereotypes when surrounded by other races. I'm not a coward. ? what they think!
  • A Talented One
    Options
    I should have seen it coming.

The fake militant ? of the IC variety is going to deny that black people do anything at all to make themselves more acceptable to other BLACK people. Anything like dress up more, or emphasize certain musical interests, or whatever.

Listen, some black people do ? to make themselves acceptable to white people. And they do some ? to make themselves more acceptable to certain BLACK people too. This is true whether you fake militants want to acknowledge it or not.

Why is the militant ? such a utterly deceitful being? Doesn't he know that you can be a militant and honest at the same time?

• A Talented One
    Options
    This thread is starting to remind me of the thread I made arguing that we shouldn't be dressing up to avoid bad treatment by BLACK people any more than we should be dressing up to avoid bad treatment by white people.

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/519404/is-it-ok-to-dress-up-to-put-white-people-at-ease/p1
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The fake militant ? of the IC variety is going to deny that black people do anything at all to make themselves more acceptable to other BLACK people. Anything like dress up more, or emphasize certain musical interests, or whatever.

Listen, some black people do ? to make themselves acceptable to white people. And they do some ? to make themselves more acceptable to certain BLACK people too. This is true whether you fake militants want to acknowledge it or not.

Why is the militant ? such a utterly deceitful being? Doesn't he know that you can be a militant and honest at the same time?

Yes and we call those people ? .

? making rearrangments of who you are for the comfort of other people. doing so shows a real lack of self esteem on your part.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options
    This thread is starting to remind me of the thread I made arguing that we shouldn't be dressing up to avoid bad treatment by BLACK people any more than we should be dressing up to avoid bad treatment by white people.

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/519404/is-it-ok-to-dress-up-to-put-white-people-at-ease/p1

I'm convinced you're trolling
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Some of the ? you say is nonsense. This however is not.

• A Talented One
    edited March 2015
    Options

And this one: http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/527322/would-you-say-that-some-black-people-try-too-hard-to-act-classy#latest

BTW, if you notice a theme here, you are correct. I am 100% against black people going out of their way to assuage the suspicions of other people, whether the people are white OR black. That's why I keep bring it up. Black people especially should not be treating other black people poorly because they seem hood, poor or whatever. And when black professionals go out of their way to always display their class, they are not helping things. I mean, think of it this way. There are some black people who will look down on, or otherwise treat badly, other black people if they seem poor pr whatever. And they assume that black people of their class background will display in some fashion the accoutrements of success. But if this weren't true, and black doctors and professors, say, were just as likely to dress down as less successful people, they would have to think twice about how they treat people based on their personal presentation. The same thing applies to white people too.

I hope that helps to explain where I am coming from and why I keep bring up this topic.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont diversify at all, but I have learned to keep my mouth shut when some one says "Luke Bryan is amazing!"

You can't argue with someone who likes that kind of country.