Sooooooo Black Women Are Outraged At Kendrick Lamar's Rolling Stone cover

Options

Comments

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    my girl like 3 shades lighter than that chick and she can braid hair.

da ? bro, your girl is transparant?

Nah just really light skin. People always think she's lying when she says she not mixed.

Because she's white. That's why she's not mixed.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Kendrick can date and parade around whoever he wants

I encourage everyone to

And while I hate that others have an issue with it, I understand the impulse

In a perfect world doubt it would matter at all

But it's a natural reaction having grown up in the imperfect world we live in

Other than that I just wish we as blks would take it upon ourselves to uplift each other in ...Nobody else is gonna do it, so it should be our cross to bear ... Especially those among us who have national platform to speak from

Otherwise I can't see how we progress as a people until we start to feel better about ourselves ... Positive, powerful images of blk women and men of all colors is a big part of that

Just think of the optics of a blk family in the White House and the way it made u felt

One poster said the other day he listens to Angie Stones "Brother" when he has an off day

I know blk people on here and post irl that went gaga over kendricks new album cover

We have another thread desecrated to "powerful blk images" many of the images inside are magazine covers ...

Hate to sound corny, but obviously there's a thirst, need there

dope cover, but it would've been even doper had kendrick had a woman who is clearly blk twisting his locs

@desertrain10 ain10 The bold is where a large part of the stupidity lies because you can't say in one sentence black folks come in all shades then say "A woman who is clearly black twisting his locs"...either you black or not. Ain't no "not black enough" or "doesn't look black enough" if she's a black woman she's a black woman bottom line whether she brown skin, light skin, dark skin, or whatever other in between skin tone people want to say.You can't advocate in one breathe for people to feel better about themselves, then in another try to say a black woman doesn't look black enough therefore she shouldn't be on the cover of a magazine with a black man because it makes you or somebody else feel bad. That's some real ego driven ? to request of somebody else.

Huh

It's not ego driven or am I putting anyone down

I said someone who is clearly blk primarily because we only get to see the lower part of her body and she is pretty fair skinned so to the casual oberserver she appears to be white

When America thinks of a blk person, they don't picture someone the color of Lena horn. And when you are a blk person of a lighter skin tone people, especially white people are quick to assume u are mixed with white

Just the way it is

So the optics matter

What it all comes down to is we live in a color caste system. Your light great. You have traditional European features the better.

This attitude is reflected in every corner of society. Lighter skinned blks get more roles, jobs in the modeling, entertainment industry than their darker skinned counterparts

The media more times than not depicts darker skinned blks as villains, while lighter skinned blks are portrayed in a far more generous light

These images matter, so that's why I believe we need to put more positive images of dark women, people out there... I don't how that's wrong or has to be at the expense of lighter skinned women

Where did I say that's wrong? You're projecting something I'm not even saying. It all boils down to what I been saying this whole time, when you aim make sure you aim your complaints at the right target and not at someone/thing that you just think you should based on something you don't even know for sure. You can uplift one group w/o having to slight another, its very much possible and doesn't mean 2 different groups have to be pitted against each other. Don't go justifying somebody's insecure feelings being brought up by an image/video/picture that didn't have that intent. It's very clear when a person is making a statement about the type of woman they prefer. When that isn't the case and you're just letting a random image of a light skin woman next to a dark skin male make you feel less than, then the image was never the problem your own self image is...and no pictures are going to change that. That's an internal problem a person has to fix.

Lol

The intent of the picture doesn't matter

the optics still perpetuate a certain narrative

I do agree women gotta do some self reflecting but I have to believe you are being disingenuous if u are suggesting had we have more darker skinned women magazine covers, in lead roles, respectable roles that are desired by men it wouldn't matter much

The intent of the picture does matter or else you're going to find yourself getting mad anytime you see a picture of a dark skin male with a woman that's lighter than him. Don't matter if it's a magazine cover, album cover, or a Wal-Mart family photo. You going to get in your feelings anytime you see a woman lighter than you with a dark skin male.You don't see how dumb and how much of a waste of energy that is? Im not being disingenuous because I never denied how images can affect people, I just said it's on the person to not let them affect you to an extent you're making irrational judgments on pictures that don't mean what you think or WANT them to mean to justify your own negative feelings about yourself. At a certain point the images aren't reinforcing your negative self image that person is simply choosing to continue to believe negative things when you don't have to. For a person like that, seeing more pictures of dark skin women won't help their self esteem because they're just going to keep finding things about themselves they don't like regardless of what images you present them.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why are people always so got damn offended? ? !!!!! I'm so glad Twitter wasn't around when I was younger
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What did I tell yall? Colorism in the black community is a problem. Whites started it but we keep it alive. It starts with birth. People keeping watch to see if the newborns ear tips are too dark. Checking by the hour to measure how much the baby's hair starts to curl. It's sad, really. By the age of three a black child knows exactly where they fit in the color scale and they didn't get it from whites. It's mostly my fellow sisters but not all. I don't see how we can progress as long as antiquated ideas keep infecting the youth.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Latinos aren't a race. You can be white with a Latino ethnicity... Ted Cruz, Geraldo Revera, Manu Ginobli, etc
  • Queen Kunta
    Queen Kunta Members Posts: 3
    Options
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sojourner Truth A.K.A Dr. John Hendrick Clarke is a Troll....get the ? on.
  • FourEfil
    FourEfil Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • CP203
    CP203 Members Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    is she the same as that sara baartman chick or whatever
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    OGClarenceBoddicker Members Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tumblr_mkcu5ine5I1qfznpvo1_400.gif

Why is this ? on ? CNN though
    JK0p4j3.gif
  • PapaDoc223
    PapaDoc223 Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She is like a rash she never goes away. Ironically she claims she is light skin herself. So she is a hypocrite and insane.
  • THIRDSUPREME
    Options
    PapaDoc223 wrote: »
    She is like a rash she never goes away. Ironically she claims she is light skin herself. So she is a hypocrite and insane.

Exaxtly.
  • THIRDSUPREME
    Options
    PapaDoc223 wrote: »

This is the same ? who said she would rather be ? by a white slave master than be with a black man who was disrespectful.

Credibility....shot....
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I encourage everyone to

Other than that I just wish we as blks would take it upon ourselves to uplift each other in ...Nobody else is gonna do it, so it should be our cross to bear ... Especially those among us who have national platform to speak from

Otherwise I can't see how we progress as a people until we start to feel better about ourselves ... Positive, powerful images of blk women and men of all colors is a big part of that

Just think of the optics of a blk family in the White House and the way it made u felt

One poster said the other day he listens to Angie Stones "Brother" when he has an off day

I know blk people on here and post irl that went gaga over kendricks new album cover

We have another thread desecrated to "powerful blk images" many of the images inside are magazine covers ...

dope cover, but it would've been even doper had kendrick had a woman who is clearly blk twisting his locs

@desertrain10 ain10 The bold is where a large part of the stupidity lies because you can't say in one sentence black folks come in all shades then say "A woman who is clearly black twisting his locs"...either you black or not. Ain't no "not black enough" or "doesn't look black enough" if she's a black woman she's a black woman bottom line whether she brown skin, light skin, dark skin, or whatever other in between skin tone people want to say.You can't advocate in one breathe for people to feel better about themselves, then in another try to say a black woman doesn't look black enough therefore she shouldn't be on the cover of a magazine with a black man because it makes you or somebody else feel bad. That's some real ego driven ? to request of somebody else.

Huh

I said someone who is clearly blk primarily because we only get to see the lower part of her body and she is pretty fair skinned so to the casual oberserver she appears to be white

When America thinks of a blk person, they don't picture someone the color of Lena horn. And when you are a blk person of a lighter skin tone people, especially white people are quick to assume u are mixed with white

Just the way it is

So the optics matter

What it all comes down to is we live in a color caste system. Your light great. You have traditional European features the better.

This attitude is reflected in every corner of society. Lighter skinned blks get more roles, jobs in the modeling, entertainment industry than their darker skinned counterparts

The media more times than not depicts darker skinned blks as villains, while lighter skinned blks are portrayed in a far more generous light

These images matter, so that's why I believe we need to put more positive images of dark women, people out there... I don't how that's wrong or has to be at the expense of lighter skinned women

Where did I say that's wrong? You're projecting something I'm not even saying. It all boils down to what I been saying this whole time, when you aim make sure you aim your complaints at the right target and not at someone/thing that you just think you should based on something you don't even know for sure. You can uplift one group w/o having to slight another, its very much possible and doesn't mean 2 different groups have to be pitted against each other. Don't go justifying somebody's insecure feelings being brought up by an image/video/picture that didn't have that intent. It's very clear when a person is making a statement about the type of woman they prefer. When that isn't the case and you're just letting a random image of a light skin woman next to a dark skin male make you feel less than, then the image was never the problem your own self image is...and no pictures are going to change that. That's an internal problem a person has to fix.

Lol

I do agree women gotta do some self reflecting but I have to believe you are being disingenuous if u are suggesting had we have more darker skinned women magazine covers, in lead roles, respectable roles that are desired by men it wouldn't matter much

The intent of the picture does matter or else you're going to find yourself getting mad anytime you see a picture of a dark skin male with a woman that's lighter than him. Don't matter if it's a magazine cover, album cover, or a Wal-Mart family photo. You going to get in your feelings anytime you see a woman lighter than you with a dark skin male.You don't see how dumb and how much of a waste of energy that is? Im not being disingenuous because I never denied how images can affect people, I just said it's on the person to not let them affect you to an extent you're making irrational judgments on pictures that don't mean what you think or WANT them to mean to justify your own negative feelings about yourself. At a certain point the images aren't reinforcing your negative self image that person is simply choosing to continue to believe negative things when you don't have to. For a person like that, seeing more pictures of dark skin women won't help their self esteem because they're just going to keep finding things about themselves they don't like regardless of what images you present them.

The intent of the pic doesn't matter to a brown, dark skinned teen girl when she has already been conditioned to believe "you aren't good enough", "you aren't desirable" , " you are too dark", " your body isn't curvy enough", "your body is too curvy", "your hair isn't straight enough", etc

And than she is bombarded with images of white and lighter skinned women who don't look like her in film, on tv, on the cover of every magazine, or on the arms of the worlds most desirable men

After a while even the strongest of minds is going to begin internalize this narrative that dark skin is less attractive to a degree

So seeing her favorite artist who just released the track "the blacker the berry" on the cover of a popular magazine with what appears to be a white woman twisting his locs I understand can be alil disturbing

It may not be totally reasonable and it is alil unfair to kendrick but it's the world we live in

Again that's part of the reason why I believe we need more of a fair and balanced representation of blk people in the media and beyond. It'll help to combat the ? that leads to these kind of dust ups and worst

• So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SWAMPGOD wrote: »

JK0p4j3.gif

K.G. was acting a fool that whole dunk contest lol.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »
    SWAMPGOD wrote: »

JK0p4j3.gif

K.G. was acting a fool that whole dunk contest lol.

qc9MHFJ.gif
  • Snatch Some Collars
    Snatch Some Collars Members Posts: 213 ✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    my girl like 3 shades lighter than that chick and she can braid hair.

da ? bro, your girl is transparant?

Nah just really light skin. People always think she's lying when she says she not mixed.

Because she's white. That's why she's not mixed.

i ? wit her all the time about being white and she hate that ? lol she hate when ? call her lightskin or yella too
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There's truth there. It might not be towards u. But we all know ? like that.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Copper i touched a spot?
    Pause.
    Explain why it ain't so.
  • Batman.
    Batman. Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I encourage everyone to

Huh

Just the way it is

So the optics matter

Lol

The intent of the pic doesn't matter to a brown, dark skinned teen girl when she has already been conditioned to believe "you aren't good enough", "you aren't desirable" , " you are too dark", " your body isn't curvy enough", "your body is too curvy", "your hair isn't straight enough", etc

And than she is bombarded with images of white and lighter skinned women who don't look like her in film, on tv, on the cover of every magazine, or on the arms of the worlds most desirable men

After a while even the strongest of minds is going to begin internalize this narrative that dark skin is less attractive to a degree

So seeing her favorite artist who just released the track "the blacker the berry" on the cover of a popular magazine with what appears to be a white woman twisting his locs I understand can be alil disturbing

It may not be totally reasonable and it is alil unfair to kendrick but it's the world we live in

Again that's part of the reason why I believe we need more of a fair and balanced representation of blk people in the media and beyond. It'll help to combat the ? that leads to these kind of dust ups and worst

Some women are just too dark though. Had to squash a woman's infatuation quick because she one of those women with dark skin, that's fine but she had darker circles round her eyes and ? . You know the type.

Said no, she saw me with an asian chick she telling my friends i'm white washed. I tell them to tell her she needs to get black washed if she wanna even out that skin tone son.... I don't even like white women like that.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Darth Sidious
    Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Queen Kunta..Sojourner...John Hendrick Clarke

tumblr_me0cpkrJsw1qzewdco1_500.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MKoU5LiAIE
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Firstly lemme say that I think its kinda ? posters get banned for unpopular opinions moreso than offensive material/non constructive dialogue....its polarizing voices that create dialogue on boards and create traffic... So in addition to killing the IC's already low traffic compared so say BX or Coli...you cultivate a atmosphere of groupthink which sucks for discussion.....

TL DR; I never saw any posts that yelled "ban me" from Sojourner Truth

Back to the thread.....

For awhile now ive felt that Black women are the elephant in the room no one really wants to talk about. What i mean by that is as far as how their feelings and treatment and their condition fit into the modern state of Blacks in America.

Im not gonna go into the specific details because it'll quickly diverge into a "who has it worse" ? contest but just know that the state of Black women is grim, in some respects even more grimmer than Black Men.

Whats hard to understand is that at the end of the day, Black MEN still have the privilege of still being MEN in the patriarchal society we live in. For as much stifling racism that Black men endure, the occupations and perceptions that embody, enhance, or personify masculinity are still respected in our society.

This is why in the midst of stifling racism, our Black male athletes, actors, politicians, entertainers are able to find a comfortable niche to fit into America and find success.

And i've always said that it is our through that success that in some ways, Black Male as a whole are becoming more accepted, passing if you may, just a little easier in the eyes of Whites. That the most adored of us have in some ways become cultural ambassadors.

We're marrying, openly ? , and having children with their women at rising rates. They elected someone who looks like us as President. Will Smith was at one point the hottest actor on the planet. The most hood and gutter of our rappers are now the soundtrack of Spring Break to upper crust White Kids who have never been to the very hoods that are glorified.

Before anyone says "POLICE KILLINGS!!"...Also realize that as far as Blacks know this is nothing new. And its become one of the hottest issues of our time. I think due to an increased discussion on race due to President Obama, stories like this are now more newsworthy. But to support my point, you'd be surprised at the amount of non Blacks who are in the trenches supporting these issues.

Black women however can't do this. They were "lucky" enough to be born into a society that doesn't really care for Blacks or Women. Fine, Oprah, Beyonce, Michelle. Lets get that out right now. But understand the intangible traits they represent arent nearly as respected as their male contemporaries nor are they allowed to challenge as many taboo notions of Black femininity (because femininity as a whole and equal concept is so vaguely defined and discussed, and purposely so).

What I'm trying to say is that as much as I wanna roll my eyes at the outrage over the Rolling Stones cover, however exaggerated it may be, I feel their pain and would be a liar to say I don't see it either. Because of how much women depend on a standard of beauty to navigate a society landscape, we can't ignore our women's pleas when their voicing a concern along with their other legitimate concerns.