You pray for appeals hoping the warden could afford them
    That sentence so important

Walls telling you to listen to "Sing About Me"
    Retaliation is strong you even dream about me
    Killed my homeboy and ? spared your life
    Dumb criminal got indicted the same night
    So when you play this song rewind the first verse
    About me abusing my power so you can hurt
    About me and her in the shower whenever she ?
    About me and her in the after hours of the morning
    About her baby daddy currently to serving life
    And how she think about you until we meet up at night
    About the only girl that cared about you when you asked her
    And how she ? on a famous rapper
    Walls could talk

Cold Ass Entendre
    "You pray for appeals hoping the warden could afford them"

I've seen a few different interpretations of that line,..

Just following the narrative of the track it looks like he's talking to a dude that's in jail ...an enemy who was convicted of killing one of his friends ...

So when dude is praying for an appeal he's literally hoping the warden has the wherewithal to influence a juse to grant/afford him his freedom

The next line is the entendre..

That sentence (warden descion) is so important

That sentence (the thought process kendrick just wrote) is so important

What other interpretation have you seen?

For profit prisons. Each prisoner is an investment so he's literally hoping, likely unbeknownst to him, the warden could afford to grant him an appeal.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    G.Avant wrote: »
    Dead at "nobody on k.dot's level" smh

Who on his level then, Wiz??

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS45hTf0iYQbp16do5VSLLjaKHTTbUv-1232tgMnes95R8KduSHsg

Kendrick is nice..... he's doesnt have this huge distance over the field (J. Cole, Wale, Krit. Lupe, Drake)

this is truth, but u might as well can say no one is quite on their collective level.

As a collective they are all dope in their own way. If someone says "I like such and such better" cool but its wack IMO when folks make it seem like none of those other ? aint ? compared to Kendrick.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ye talking that inspired ? but I already get the feeling "So Help Me ? " will be his most mainstream sounding effort to date.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Options
    Glad to see Thundercat on this album. For those who played Grand Theft Auto V you might be familiar with this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nq3Ls6kzeE
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options

Kendrick is nice..... he's doesnt have this huge distance over the field (J. Cole, Wale, Krit. Lupe, Drake)

this is truth, but u might as well can say no one is quite on their collective level.

As a collective they are all dope in their own way. If someone says "I like such and such better" cool but its wack IMO when folks make it seem like none of those other ? aint ? compared to Kendrick.

Kendrick my favorite and I agree with this. We all gonna age. Our personal favorites so it's not crazy to say so and so better then these ? . But to say one of these are better by a huge margin pretty crazy to say.but I'll say thi. Kendrick has been the most consistent out of wale, cole, Drake, Krit.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Album came off very "BE'ish"(the album), Very conscious and smooth. Think it maybe a tad bit long but like the direction he went. How the hell he was able to pull an album like that off on Interscope/Aftermath is beyond me but he pulled it off. Will be interesting how it does with no "hit" records like "Swimming Pools", not that I care or it matters at all.
  • G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

??? I dont even know what that means. Anyways You simpletons love gassin this ? up. Kendrick is nice..... he's doesnt have this huge distance over the field (J. Cole, Wale, Krit. Lupe) You sound like a dickriding ass ? .

You don't know what what means? It's not rocket science bruh lol. And is there people out there that could see Kendrick lyrically? Yes. Flow wise? Yes. But overall, if you ask me hell no. And I'm talking about his versatility and skill in crafting songs and conceptualizing. His total package is the coldest.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KamPushMe wrote: »
    This is better than gkmc imo

I like the overall meaning

whats your interpretation of the meaning?
  • G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    Album came off very "BE'ish"(the album), Very conscious and smooth. Think it maybe a tad bit long but like the direction he went. How the hell he was able to pull an album like that off on Interscope/Aftermath is beyond me but he pulled it off. Will be interesting how it does with no "hit" records like "Swimming Pools", not that I care or it matters at all.

I could see Alright possibly slapping heavy on the radio
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Stew wrote: »

I could see Alright possibly slapping heavy on the radio

Cant imagine how thats not the next single. Kendrick + Pharrell. Beat nice as ? too
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Options
    (ob)Scene wrote: »
    KillaCham wrote: »
    If your walls could talk they’d tell you it’s too late
    Your destiny accepted your fate
    Burn accessories and stash them where they are
    Take the recipe, the bible and ?
    Wall telling you that commissary is low
    Race wars happening no calling CO
    No calling your mother to save you
    Homies say to you, you're reputable, not acceptable
    Your behavior is Sammy Da Bull like a killer that turned snitch
    Walls is telling me you a ?
    You pray for appeals hoping the warden could afford them
    That sentence so important

Walls telling you to listen to "Sing About Me"
    Retaliation is strong you even dream about me
    Killed my homeboy and ? spared your life
    Dumb criminal got indicted the same night
    So when you play this song rewind the first verse
    About me abusing my power so you can hurt
    About me and her in the shower whenever she ?
    About me and her in the after hours of the morning
    About her baby daddy currently to serving life
    And how she think about you until we meet up at night
    About the only girl that cared about you when you asked her
    And how she ? on a famous rapper
    Walls could talk

Cold Ass Entendre

I've seen a few different interpretations of that line,..

Just following the narrative of the track it looks like he's talking to a dude that's in jail ...an enemy who was convicted of killing one of his friends ...

So when dude is praying for an appeal he's literally hoping the warden has the wherewithal to influence a juse to grant/afford him his freedom

The next line is the entendre..

That sentence (warden descion) is so important

That sentence (the thought process kendrick just wrote) is so important

What other interpretation have you seen?

For profit prisons. Each prisoner is an investment so he's literally hoping, likely unbeknownst to him, the warden could afford to grant him an appeal.

riiiigggght riiiiighhht riiiiiiight ... thats good ? ..i ? with that
  • daboyag1
    daboyag1 Members, Writer Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Might be odd, but the "For Sale?" Interlude is my favorite song.
  • D.Original
    D.Original Members Posts: 734 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    great conceptually and lyrically but the beats for the most part were a little to Quikish for me.

Definitely not the best album of 2015 so far...
  • EyeofAsaru
    EyeofAsaru Members Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kanye needs to fall back with his fake "for the cause" stance

He lost his soul a long time ago..alot of what he's been doing these years have been pro-European and damn near anti black..

Yeezus had disgusting lines that seemingly made a mockery of his own culture and race...

Black skinhead? New slaves? No ? we are neither...

You "black power ? " black women?

Like real talk what the ? is wrong with this guy? White people have successfully shifted his DNA and converted his frequency into that of a Caucasian mindset and culture..

He's hybridizing blackness with whiteness...this is further proven by him choosing to produce offspring with Kim kardashion...

White ppl in the industry tried to do this to Pac... Yet Pac never fully converted..before he passed u can hear him in interviews saying "I look in the mirror and see that my soul is still there,I didn't sell it"...

Just shows you that the new generation of conscious emcees are more prone to diluting themselves to appease the white supremacy system... Hopefully Kendrick maintains his integrity and doesn't get his frequency shifted to the "light of chaos"

Stay in the darkness my brotha
  • jazzybella
    jazzybella Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    EyeofAsaru wrote: »
    Kanye needs to fall back with his fake "for the cause" stance

He lost his soul a long time ago..alot of what he's been doing these years have been pro-European and damn near anti black..

Yeezus had disgusting lines that seemingly made a mockery of his own culture and race...

Black skinhead? New slaves? No ? we are neither...

You "black power ? " black women?

Like real talk what the ? is wrong with this guy? White people have successfully shifted his DNA and converted his frequency into that of a Caucasian mindset and culture..

He's hybridizing blackness with whiteness...this is further proven by him choosing to produce offspring with Kim kardashion...

White ppl in the industry tried to do this to Pac... Yet Pac never fully converted..before he passed u can hear him in interviews saying "I look in the mirror and see that my soul is still there,I didn't sell it"...

Just shows you that the new generation of conscious emcees are more prone to diluting themselves to appease the white supremacy system... Hopefully Kendrick maintains his integrity and doesn't get his frequency shifted to the "light of chaos"

Stay in the darkness my brotha

I agree with what you trying to say however I think you executed it wrong in your post
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OK first listen:

Kendricks Album is like Common's BE like @stew said

Really good album with NO so-called "bangers" that can not be summed up in 1 track and has to be heard in it's entirety to be fully understood.

It's a "cant see the forest from the trees" type of album. Just like you cant fully appreciate a painting with just one slice of the image you can not appreciate "To ? A Butterfly" by just listening to one track or even half the album.

You have to listen to it ALL and if you dont appreciate it by the time you're done well...I feel for you because there isn't uch out there in the mainstream that even comes to close to the artistry Kendrick displays and has displayed for 2 albums straight (not counting mixtapes).

And "Mortal Man" was a hell of a concept.

OK...THAT'S MY OPINION AND I'M STICKING TO IT.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    edited March 2015
    Options
    So... the two hoodrats on "for free" = Lady Liberty (well the embodiment of the of her/america metaphorically speaking) and the strain that her ideals have put on black men in American society ...shes supposed to represent all of the freedoms that this country is supposedly rooted out of but in reality all we've seen or received is a ? of freedom ...

I think that's what leads Kendrick into that poem about his manhood not being "free" ... his dignity/integrity as an artist as a person isn't in the hands of american idealism or anyone's for that matter ...its in his own hands and he's controlling the direction not anyone else.. i think that's one of the main themes that helped craft this record and a theme that reoccurs ... i mean look at that album cover .. that's a ? that don't give 2 ? about perception ..its embodied perfectly in that photo.. (where he's mocking a stereotype from the dominant society of "? gone wild" with a few trinkets) and on other songs like "TBTB" & on the hook on of "Institutionalized" ...

It's also interesting that the two girls mention getting their "Uncle Sam" on Kendrick as punishment for not living up to their expectations and doing what they want him to do ... "Uncle Sam" being another name for the IRS which leads back to the opening track .. "Wesley's Theory" talking about Wes being sentenced to jail time for tax evasion after he had made a bunch of money in the entertainment industry.. seems as tho they are hanging this over his head if he doesn't acquiesce to their desires and demands
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    AOTY in my book
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not feeling this album at all
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This. ? . ain't. freeeeeeee!

Ctfu. GOAT ? .
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This... They wanna make him out to be this lyrical messiah but he isnt... Hes really good at times but he does nothing the rest of his peers (cole, wale, krit) cant do...i love the message of this album tho