Mature ppl of the G&S...would you work in the gulf- cleaning up the oil?...

Options
DEE-LICIOUS
DEE-LICIOUS Members Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in For The Grown & Sexy
I just got this email about "summer employment" going down to the gulf (choice of several states) and helping with cleanup of the oil spill. Here is the job description...

Areas where work may be performed are Louisiana , Mississippi , Alabama and Florida . All workers will require OSHA 40-hour Hazardous Waste Operator Training (WE WILL PROVIDE). Successful completion of a physical and drug screen are also required. Each applicant must be 18 years of age or older. The hours will vary but expect LOTS of overtime.

RATE OF PAY: $13.00/hr. straight time

$19.50/hr. overtime (after 40 hours/week)

PER DIEM: $26.00/day for meals

LODGING: Provided

Work may include, but is not limited to manual labor associated with removing
crude oil from impacted beaches, rocks, boom, or any other items that have
come in contact with the oil. Technicians may be required to operate
pressure washers, mops, rakes, shovels or a variety of other hand tools or
small pieces of equipment while wearing proper protective gear. Work
environment may include working on or near water, in marshland, beach and
estuary locations in hot and humid conditions day or night.

Would u do it? Would your morals prevent you from doing it? What exactly do you find morally wrong about it? Etc etc tell me your thoughts

And this is for people who have no job or are looking to do something else or whatever so plz dont come with the "I already have a job" cause that aint the question.

Comments

• BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Sure. I'd do it.

I'm curious as to what kind of morals you're asking about that would prevent one from doing it though...
  • Mister_H2H
    Mister_H2H Members Posts: 163
    edited June 2010
    Options
    soul-glo.gif

• DEE-LICIOUS
    edited June 2010
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    Sure. I'd do it.

I'm curious as to what kind of morals you're asking about that would prevent one from doing it though...

I asked because I don't know. I asked the question elsewhere and was told that it is morally wrong to help clean that spill up....
  • kat2180
    kat2180 Members Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

Co-sign............
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    If I lived down there and needed work I'd do it for sure. I've worked in factories. Nothing worse than that. There atleast I getta be outside and in the South.
  • BEAM
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I asked because I don't know. I asked the question elsewhere and was told that it is morally wrong to help clean that spill up....

Did they elaborate on how or why?
  • Will Munny
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Morally wrong to clean up and environmental hazard?
  • DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Nope, 5 years from now there will be plenty of stories about cancer and how they think it came from the clean up effort. So damn that.

*continues filling out food stamp application in pencil
  • DEE-LICIOUS
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Did they elaborate on how or why?

No, and I wasn't in the mood to get in an argument about it at that moment cause we already have too much tension after she talked about "those damned mexicans" in arizona. But one thing she said was something about us not needing to help BP clean a damn thing up because they are the one who caused it and americans shouldnt have to help. And I said well that oil is killing OUR way of life though in several ways from environmentally ? us up to financially leaving thousands upon thousands of "americans" out of work right now. But.....yea. the argument was about to ensue and i left it alone.
  • BEAM
    edited June 2010
    Options
    No, and I wasn't in the mood to get in an argument about it at that moment cause we already have too much tension after she talked about "those damned mexicans" in arizona. But one thing she said was something about us not needing to help BP clean a damn thing up because they are the one who caused it and americans shouldnt have to help. And I said well that oil is killing OUR way of life though in several ways from environmentally ? us up to financially leaving thousands upon thousands of "americans" out of work right now. But.....yea. the argument was about to ensue and i left it alone.

Good call.
    I'm not sure your girl has the best understanding of morals quite yet. lol

But yeah, the Gulf Situation has really gotten to the point that people need to quit being so concerned about who'd getting paid and just start trying to save lives. This ? is beyond money.

"Sometimes you have to forget about the money and do things out of love." - Bill Maher

But that's a radical concept to many I'm sure...
  • Ham&CheeseHotPoc
    Ham&CheeseHotPoc Members Posts: 215
    edited June 2010
    Options
    that a job for a racial minority. meaning most blacks and mexicans.
  • CollegeBoi12
    CollegeBoi12 Members Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Nope, 5 years from now there will be plenty of stories about cancer and how they think it came from the clean up effort. So damn that.

I think you have a point
  • American Loo VII 3D
    American Loo VII 3D Members Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    lol i aint dont that ? for no 13 dollas an hour.
  • marie addams
    marie addams Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    idk whats immoral about helping save animals ans the future of seafood.
    if i wasn't afraid of hurricanes I would consider it.
  • jbrooks229
    jbrooks229 Members Posts: 1,306 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i would be on it. "the city" been through so much.... hurts to think bout it
  • Will Munny
    edited June 2010
    Options

"Sometimes you have to forget about the money and do things out of love." - Bill Maher

Thats ironic coming from the most hateful person ever.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Sure. I'd do it.

*continues filling out food stamp application in pencil

• Bwoahmizzee
    Bwoahmizzee Members Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I guess people would say it would be morally wrong to do it because you're getting paid for it

I guess you should just wanna help out with out any compensation because you care

yeah ok
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    LMAO $13/hr.....that aint lucrative enough
  • hummingbird
    hummingbird Members, Banned Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Let me say this first. I personally feel like those jobs should be offered to fisherman in the gulf area before anybody else is even looked at. Because the BP spill affected thier means of making a living. Its only right they get first dibs.

Secondly, once they employ as many fishermen that want the job, after that if they still needed people I would do it. Why? Because I live in Florida/Texas and I love the beach. Its a way of life for us here and I would want to do soemthing to help preserve or maintain what little bit of it we will have left. I mean hell I helped clean up after Katrina and didnt get paid for that.

Ido kind of understand what your friend is saying because it should not fall back on the american people to have to pay for the cleanup (unless BP is paying the cost for the cleanup wages then her argument is null and void)
  • Ace Boon
    Ace Boon Members Posts: 880 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Yeah I would do it if I didn't have a job. What's morally wrong about it?
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    lol there is absolutely nothing morally wrong with doing it if thats what you chose to do.
  • Blue Virgo
    Blue Virgo Members Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Man, if I didn't have a summer job already--I would,
    Why not?
    Good pay, they provide lodging, sounds like a good thing to me.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    There's nothing morally wrong in fact if you live near the area it's your duty to clean it up. Being from the south, I've worked in the petro-chem indusrty. That ? is toxic. They sped through the PPE part. For $13/hr or so that's not really alot of money for the industry. Hell The security guards at the refinery I worked at started at $12.50. That being said, yeah i'd do it for the moral obligation. I have nephews, nieces and other fam who live in the area, why would I want them living in that ? ?
  • Blue Virgo
    Blue Virgo Members Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    There's nothing morally wrong in fact if you live near the area it's your duty to clean it up.

How you figure?