Women Outraged Over Batgirl Cover

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
BG-Cv41-Joker-variant-solicitation-88c4e-31e8d-720x1092.jpg

DC Comics has pulled a cover for a forthcoming issue of the Batgirl comic featuring villain The Joker holding a gun across her shoulders and drawing a smile in blood across her face.

The cover, which was drawn by Rafael Albuquerque, was intended to pay homage to 1998’s Batman standalone story The Killing Joke, in which the Joker attacked Batgirl, leaving her in a wheelchair.

The variant cover for the forthcoming issue 41 was produced as part of “Joker month” in June, in which all DC Comics will be available with an alternative cover featuring the villain in some form.

The variant #41 Joker cover in full (pic: DC Comics) The variant #41 Joker cover in full (pic: DC Comics) A number of fans responded negatively to the cover, posting #changethecover on Twitter and Tumblr, saying the cover was offensive and promoting ? culture.

But the hashtag has since been taken over by fans who are disappointed by what they see as DC Comics’ decision to “censor” a work of art.

It was later revealed by regular Batgirl artist Cameron Stewart that the alternative cover had not been run past the creative team including writer Brenden Fletcher and artists Babs Tarr and Stewart.

Stewart said the decision to pull the cover was due to the number of threats people objecting to the cover received, adding that Albuquerque did not receive threats himself.

In a statement, Albuquerque said: “My Batgirl variant cover artwork was designed to pay homage to a comic that I really admire, and I know is a favorite of many readers. 'The Killing Joke' is part of Batgirl’s canon and artistically, I couldn't avoid portraying the traumatic relationship between Barbara Gordon and the Joker.

“For me, it was just a creepy cover that brought up something from the character’s past that I was able to interpret artistically. But it has become clear, that for others, it touched a very important nerve. I respect these opinions and, despite whether the discussion is right or wrong, no opinion should be discredited.

“My intention was never to hurt or upset anyone through my art. For that reason, I have recommended to DC that the variant cover be pulled. I'm incredibly pleased that DC Comics is listening to my concerns and will not be publishing the cover art in June as previously announced.”

DC Entertainment said in a statement: “We publish comic books about the greatest heroes in the world, and the most evil villains imaginable. The Joker variant covers for June are in recognition of the 75th anniversary of the Joker.

“Regardless if fans like Rafael Albuquerque’s homage to Alan Moore’s The Killing Joke graphic novel from 25 years ago, or find it inconsistent with the current tonality of the Batgirl books - threats of violence and harassment are wrong and have no place in comics or society.

“We stand by our creative talent, and per Rafael’s request, DC Comics will not publish the Batgirl variant.”

Comments

• IceManKam
    IceManKam Members Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Antlerz
    Antlerz Members Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White feminist feelings
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    That chick at the Oscars wanted "colored" ppl to fight for women's rights.

So apparently this is our battle, fellas. Comic books.

The Killing Joke is the ? btw.

I was checking some black subreddits after she made that statement
    A lot of people went in on her for it, talking about how White Suffragettes didn't want voting rights for Black women and kept them out of the movement

Tbh she deserves all the hate she gets for that too. She targeted Blacks and ? specifically: two of the most active special interest groups at the moment. Basically saying "Hey, don't fight your fight, fights ours!". Even though she isn't doing ? for either side.

Ah politics. A wise ? once said
    LUClEN wrote: »
    Politics is stupid

• Quixotik_Bodhi
    Quixotik_Bodhi Members Posts: 3
    Options
    Looks HOT to me, yeah femi ? "agreed" and sure let's call them whites, I'd still think it was HOT if Bat Girl was black. Even if the Joker was a black man, still like it. Mater of fact, an ethnic Joker would be uber cool, he generally looks like a ? the way he dresses. I really love the new Bat Girl costume.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Valid complaint. When you look at the various other covers the Joker is featured on, the other heroes are at least featured in combat with the Joker. Here Batgirl is a victim literally pleading for her life. On the cover of her own book. A book by the way that was recently relaunched to have a more lighthearted, contemporary, and empowering appeal for young women.

I understand that The Killing Joke is a seminal Batman story and a huge part of the Batgirl mythos but DC has been insistent on making it the only important part of her mythos, which is a disservice to the character and the fans.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Valid complaint. When you look at the various other covers the Joker is featured on, the other heroes are at least featured in combat with the Joker. Here Batgirl is a victim literally pleading for her life. On the cover of her own book. A book by the way that was recently relaunched to have a more lighthearted, contemporary, and empowering appeal for young women.

I understand that The Killing Joke is a seminal Batman story and a huge part of the Batgirl mythos but DC has been insistent on making it the only important part of her mythos, which is a disservice to the character and the fans.

? there was no combat with Batgirl. He PARALYZED the ? . And trust me, he did Jason Todd a lot worse.

I know what happened in the Killing Joke and I know about "Death In the Family".

So I dont understand how the events of The Killing Joke have anything to do with this cover. Especially considering that The Killing Joke isn't the sum meeting between Barbara Gordon and the Joker.

For those who dont know, the Joker is being featured on the cover nearly every book DC is publishing as a "Joker Month" promotional. That's it. He's not featured in any of the stories the books are actually telling.

So the covers aren't reflective of the content in the books or any past story for that matter. And Batgirl shouldnt be defined simply by being paralyzed by the Joker.

And its not like you can't do a Killing Joke reference featuring Batgirl that automatically makes her a victim.

$_35.JPG

Killingjoke.JPG

See?
  • Batman.
    Batman. Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I haven't seen Joker ? anyone except Harley Quinn.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Feminisim and comic geek over reach in sum its total ? .
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? there was no combat with Batgirl. He PARALYZED the ? . And trust me, he did Jason Todd a lot worse.

I know what happened in the Killing Joke and I know about "Death In the Family".

So I dont understand how the events of The Killing Joke have anything to do with this cover. Especially considering that The Killing Joke isn't the sum meeting between Barbara Gordon and the Joker.

For those who dont know, the Joker is being featured on the cover nearly every book DC is publishing as a "Joker Month" promotional. That's it. He's not featured in any of the stories the books are actually telling.

So the covers aren't reflective of the content in the books or any past story for that matter. And Batgirl shouldnt be defined simply by being paralyzed by the Joker.

And its not like you can't do a Killing Joke reference featuring Batgirl that automatically makes her a victim.

Batgirl_Vol_4_39_Textless_Harley_Quinn_Variant.jpg

Killingjoke.JPG

See?

I see what you're saying, that The Killing Joke story shouldn't be the defining moment between Joker and Batgirl. But The Killing Joke was not only one of the defining moments of Batgirl and even the Joker himself, it was also one of the highest selling graphic novels of all time. Anything else wouldn't make sense creatively. I think comic book fans without their panties in a bunch will look at this cover and automatically think "Killing Joke"... ? , that's what I did, and I haven't read comics in a decade and a half.

But I think in all fairness... if they are gonna do this, they should have Joker having the upper hand on all the covers if it's a Joker appreciation month or whatever. A Death In The Family redux would be dope as hell.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this is that ? ... when you start ? with the comics and ? , you pushing too far
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Batman. wrote: »
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Feminisim and comic geek over reach in sum its total ? .

Trust me it's just feminists. Real comic book readers are mad because females keep getting into male hobbies and telling them what's acceptable and what's not.

it's ? annoying. You know when you watch Football, and what happens is since so many NFL players got caught with domestic violence they have those domestic violence ads all over the place now? When you don't give a ? you just wanna watch the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB6TiRJNI-Q

Watch this.

Ether i hope dude addresses this Batgirl ? .
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thats a badass cover.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Why did I know this was gonna turn into another thread basing feminism?