Black Scholar Calls "Empire" ‘Ghettofied’ ‘Coonery’

Options

Comments

• rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rapmusic wrote: »
    Well I think if people spent more time trying to uplift the good shows that might not be as popular as the so called bad shows ? would be better. You got these black folks who are still trying to put black shows in 2015 up against The Cosby Show. ? Cosby Show ended like 20 years ago! ? Lee Daniels but I'm going to let that show cook. People always trying to go at the black shows while white folks can put whatever the ? they want to out here and get this money. I love the show 2 Broke Girls even though it's horribly written and they have a lot if bad jokes. Imagine if they had two black women in those roles. White folks let this show cook barely bashing it.

Shut up.
    Great response
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was hesitant to watch this show because it was other attempt at effemizing men with Lee Daniels ? ass promoting the man-on-man ? sucking agenda. However, I saw this

ipadp0id5hfanowjbt6i.gif

Then I was like, "Hmm maybe I can ? with this. Then they got this ? going on.

boyfriend3.jpg

So I need to know what the level of gayness is one this show? Is the level of gayness on par with the level gayness that's on Spartacus or Game of Thrones or is the faggotry on Empire on a higher level.

This ? comes on network TV.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just off the commercials it looked ? terrible.. Arrow>>>>>
  • PapaDoc223
    PapaDoc223 Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't watch the show so I can't make an opinion on it. The thing is Lee Daniels has an agenda on pushing his fairy ass ideas on effemnizing black men. I dont cosign that.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was too busy watching arrow foh with this ? . Can't wait for the next season of power though. I woke up this morning to the news hyping this ? .
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    xxCivicxx wrote: »
    I haven't seen it but I know way too many ratchet ppl that love that show for me to think it's really THAT deep

d41eb0459f4d34f8e82b639.gif
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kai wrote: »
    Everything aside, whatever your opinion of the show, why is it that there can be a ton of trashy white shows, but people can still understand that that is not some blanket representation of all whites, but a trashy minority show is representative of all blacks? that's the part of the criticism i don't like.

It's a soap opera, it's supposed to be trashy, so you're telling me Dallas was some refined television?

The limited number of "black shows" is one reason why it's troubling... White shows run along a spectrum... There are not enough black shows to balance it out.

and that's the issue we need to be working to remedy. I don't think it's fair to call it coonery when they are just following the soap opera tropes.

And I want to sort of disagree on the no good black shows thing, maybe not entire casts, but there a lot of great shows out now with amazing black actors, but people don't wanna broaden their horizons and look for them. Laurence Fishburne in Hannibal, Sugar from Banshee, Max from Black Sails, Howard Charles as Porthos in The Musketeers, Nicholas Pinnock in Fortitude, Nicole Beharie in Sleepy Hollow. and these are just off the top of my head. Trashy ? just seems to be more popular with people, hence why the kardashians are still on.

I agree, but it bothers me when this soap opera trope uses all of the negative black stereotypes. For crying out loud, the show is about a black family in the music industry. They couldn't be doctors or lawyers or somethin else?
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good points... But they had to use every negative black stereotype for a soap opera? Nah.
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    soap opera tropes use all of the negative stereotypes about everyone. Women, ? , rude, ready to fight, Men, angry, controlling, ? , liars. Everything is exaggerated for the drama. Now if a a more respectable, cable channel like hbo or sho released this, then the criticisms might have merit, but it's a basic cable soap opera. It's days of our lives for prime time.

I agree. Imo, 'Empire' is a good show, for what it is. There's nothing really wrong with it, we just need more 'Black' shows on mainstream television to establish more of a spectrum. Balance is important.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    soap opera tropes use all of the negative stereotypes about everyone. Women, ? , rude, ready to fight, Men, angry, controlling, ? , liars. Everything is exaggerated for the drama. Now if a a more respectable, cable channel like hbo or sho released this, then the criticisms might have merit, but it's a basic cable soap opera. It's days of our lives for prime time.

I agree. Imo, 'Empire' is a good show, for what it is. There's nothing really wrong with it, we just need more 'Black' shows on mainstream television to establish more of a spectrum. Balance is important.

Balance is important but that lack of balance still doesn't mean one show has to be the end all be all of what represents black folks. That ? is the same reason some folks criticised the Cosby Show for not being real enough
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the dude who play joe west on flash...jesse martin... that man needa emmy, his acting has been great, especially int he last episode
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

Balance is important but that lack of balance still doesn't mean one show has to be the end all be all of what represents black folks. That ? is the same reason some folks criticised the Cosby Show for not being real enough

I think ppl overestimate the criticism the Cosby show got... Ppl loved that ? back in the day.
  • Tymoney19
    Tymoney19 Members Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White people going to negatively judge us anyway ? it enjoy what you enjoy. It's no worse than the soap opera that have been on TV for 50 yrs.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So thugs aren't human?
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

I think ppl overestimate the criticism the Cosby show got... Ppl loved that ? back in the day.

Nah I actually wrote a paper on this issue when I was an undergrad and that show caught a lot more flack than you would think from black folks who thought the show wasn't a realistic representation of a black family. Phylicia Rashad has somewhat recent interviews still talking about it
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    [img]https://scontent-mia.? .fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11070488_10204162205635166_3355969611569671570_n.jpg?oh=5ed2e78dc88501587c8f0b461a4ab0d5&oe=55B9B460[/img]

giphy.gif
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J.J._Evans wrote: »
    [img]https://scontent-mia.? .fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11070488_10204162205635166_3355969611569671570_n.jpg?oh=5ed2e78dc88501587c8f0b461a4ab0d5&oe=55B9B460[/img]

giphy.gif

LLS
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    First episode was trash then I caught episode 3 and I started liking it.

People will hate Empire but in the same breath like and root for the drug dealer in Power, Wire and other crime series/movies.

Is it educational TV no hell its nothing but a Dallas ripoff with the music instead of oil as the industry. I take the show for what it is and that's a over the top soap opera.

The Wire was a quality show. This is like comparing Trinidad James to Rakim.
    Power is also a soap opera... a better one, but still....
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    First episode was trash then I caught episode 3 and I started liking it.

People will hate Empire but in the same breath like and root for the drug dealer in Power, Wire and other crime series/movies.

Is it educational TV no hell its nothing but a Dallas ripoff with the music instead of oil as the industry. I take the show for what it is and that's a over the top soap opera.

The Wire was a quality show. This is like comparing Trinidad James to Rakim.
    Power is also a soap opera... a better one, but still....

Yet and still the those shows were about criminals destroying the black community. I see nothing wrong with diversity in our viewing pleasure. People will hate Empire call it cooning cool. Religious nignogs will call Power to violent same for The Wire. It's just entertainment.

thats not true. Throwing the Wire into this is inaccurate. have u seen the Wire? it covered everything from politics to print media. that show was very sophisticated and well acted.
    if we just want to make superficial comparisons cool. I guess Troy Ave is the new Biggie and Iggy is the new Mc Lyte.