Marvin Gaye's Family Is Now Going After T.I., UMG, And Interscope

Options
13»

Comments

• kittykat89
    kittykat89 Members Posts: 60 ✭✭
    Options
    They opened a can of worms w that judgement v robin and pharell. Now you will see this happening all the time, I think it's a shame and stifles artistic creativity.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol@stifling creativity by telling mafuckas to pay for stealing other ppls art.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • kittykat89
    kittykat89 Members Posts: 60 ✭✭
    Options
    Steal v influenced are 2 different things.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You dont need to know how to read music to do a chord progression, just press some keys on a piano or learn a couple major chords on a guitar... A million different songs use the same chord progressions (I–V–vi–IV) but thats just the nature of music and what the human ear finds the most appealing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJcGi4-n_Yw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMcHbh6HBDk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYmpxA72GgE

Real musicians know you can use the same exact chord progression and come out with a completely different song. Jimi Hendrix estate never sued Stevie Ray Vaughn and thats an obvious "inspired by" situation. James Brown didnt sue Mystikal for blatantly emulating his style, nor did the Bee Gees sue Justin Timberlake for making a whole (multi platinum) album that could have been theirs...

There is a thin line between stealing and inspiration, but there is a difference. When I hear "Blurred Lines" the last thing I think about is "Got To Give It Up", I obviously think of a knock off of something from that time, but that was the intention of the producer.

The only suits won in these situations should be for samples, blatant note for note rips over four measures, lyrical theft, or melody and cadence.

Lets also not forget that Marvin Gaye was inspired by a band and the very words he was coming up with took shape around music that accompanied him. He controlled the groove as a conductor but each member of the band obviously had chops and knew how to create a rhythm section drawing from their own skills. So what about that, you just gonna give Gaye the credit for creating a whole sound? What gives them the right to sue for a style of music that wasnt unique to him. Its more Marvin that made those songs great, not the beats behind him.

People siding with the Gaye's obviously dont do music professionally or have experience in creating their own, similar to the members of the estate pursuing this.

A person should not be penalized for listening to Marvin and being inspired to make a record. That is ridiculous, people blatantly rip off greats all the time, but it's only because they set the standard for popular music.

How many rappers could Das EFX or Bone Thugs sue with this precedent? Some opinions are just incorrect no matter how much faux music knowledge back them because of common sense @Noir hypocrisy and double standards are just that.
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if marvin was livin he'd have a lil sympathy for 'em..
    https://youtu.be/gTgHcniBuHA

'happy' does kinda sound like the said marvin song but thats not the 1st song that came to mind when i initially heard it & its killin me i cant think of the other song..
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If Marvin, was alive this wouldn't be happening
  • Ilike2get baked
    Ilike2get baked Members Posts: 879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol@stifling creativity by telling mafuckas to pay for stealing other ppls art.

Exactly....I'm wit Marvins kids on this ? ...I mean you ? can use the music...if you pay for it and ask permission...lol at ? thinking you gon use MARVIN GAYES music for free.
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They doing what all these labels and publishing owners do

Sue

Pharrell makes original beats and owns his publishing and I bet if I used his sound I would get a cease and desist order. Now or ten years from now, they are protecting their fathers legacy. This wasnt a hip hop song so I will let Robin and Pharrell handle that.

• damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's kind of ironic his family they getting all this money when his "family" is the reason he gone...
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    time for Jay to cut (another) check or nah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGZxGQ0bmLQ
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You dont need to know how to read music to do a chord progression, just press some keys on a piano or learn a couple major chords on a guitar... A million different songs use the same chord progressions (I–V–vi–IV) but thats just the nature of music and what the human ear finds the most appealing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJcGi4-n_Yw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMcHbh6HBDk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYmpxA72GgE

Real musicians know you can use the same exact chord progression and come out with a completely different song. Jimi Hendrix estate never sued Stevie Ray Vaughn and thats an obvious "inspired by" situation. James Brown didnt sue Mystikal for blatantly emulating his style, nor did the Bee Gees sue Justin Timberlake for making a whole (multi platinum) album that could have been theirs...

There is a thin line between stealing and inspiration, but there is a difference. When I hear "Blurred Lines" the last thing I think about is "Got To Give It Up", I obviously think of a knock off of something from that time, but that was the intention of the producer.

The only suits won in these situations should be for samples, blatant note for note rips over four measures, lyrical theft, or melody and cadence.

Lets also not forget that Marvin Gaye was inspired by a band and the very words he was coming up with took shape around music that accompanied him. He controlled the groove as a conductor but each member of the band obviously had chops and knew how to create a rhythm section drawing from their own skills. So what about that, you just gonna give Gaye the credit for creating a whole sound? What gives them the right to sue for a style of music that wasnt unique to him. Its more Marvin that made those songs great, not the beats behind him.

People siding with the Gaye's obviously dont do music professionally or have experience in creating their own, similar to the members of the estate pursuing this.

A person should not be penalized for listening to Marvin and being inspired to make a record. That is ridiculous, people blatantly rip off greats all the time, but it's only because they set the standard for popular music.

How many rappers could Das EFX or Bone Thugs sue with this precedent? Some opinions are just incorrect no matter how much faux music knowledge back them because of common sense @Noir hypocrisy and double standards are just that.

dhMeAzK.gif
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anybody in this thread who says that they should've "cleared the sample" doesn't know what they're talking about.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's obvious their greedy, but this ? is starting to look suspicious as well.
  • King_MOEbra
    King_MOEbra Members Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    But they didn't samole the music so it was nothing to clear

Nah............they stole it.
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dumbest ? ever. Does "The View" sue every morning show that copied it's format? What about all the movies/TV shows that copied The GodFather? Should the makers of Wolfstein 3d sue ever First Person Shooter game ever made?

It's a tragedy that money grubbing kids can use their father's name and STEAL $7 million they didn't earn. All because two songs have the same style.