Kerry Washington Tackles Black "Homophobia" in GLAAD Speech...

Options

Comments

• white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Dudes on here talking about New black, there's nothing new about being respectful and accepting of people who are different from us
    "Whatever your personal opinions and your insecurities about homosexuality and the various liberation movements among homosexuals and women (and I speak of the homosexuals and women as oppressed groups), we should try to unite with them in a revolutionary fashion.

I say ”whatever your insecurities are” because as we very well know, sometimes our first instinct is to want to hit a homosexual in the mouth, and want a woman to be quiet. We want to hit a homosexual in the mouth because we are afraid that we might be homosexual; and we want to hit the women or shut her up because we are afraid that she might castrate us, or take the nuts that we might not have to start with.

We must gain security in ourselves and therefore have respect and feelings for all oppressed people. We must not use the racist attitude that the white racists use against our people because they are Black and poor. Many times the poorest white person is the most racist because he is afraid that he might lose something, or discover something that he does not have. So you’re some kind of a threat to him. This kind of psychology is in operation when we view oppressed people and we are angry with them because of their particular kind of behavior, or their particular kind of deviation from the established norm."

Huey Newton, August 15, 1970

It's crazy how people will use the same book that says we were meant to be slaves, to justify their hate or the oppression of another group of people.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I gotta ask when the IC started adopting some of the more crazier beliefs of the NOI, 5%ers, Black Hebrews and all that other crazy ? .

Swear, ask some of yall ? apparently the "White devil" is some sorta 80s cartoon supervillain that invented phaggotry, diseases, recessive genes, sharks, black licorice, Frischs Big Boy.......

Like when the ? did the White Man apparently become ? Cobra Commander?
    lead_large.jpg

Let me find out W.D. Fard posting on the IC
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    white715 wrote: »
    Dudes on here talking about New black, there's nothing new about being respectful and accepting of people who are different from us
    "Whatever your personal opinions and your insecurities about homosexuality and the various liberation movements among homosexuals and women (and I speak of the homosexuals and women as oppressed groups), we should try to unite with them in a revolutionary fashion.

I say ”whatever your insecurities are” because as we very well know, sometimes our first instinct is to want to hit a homosexual in the mouth, and want a woman to be quiet. We want to hit a homosexual in the mouth because we are afraid that we might be homosexual; and we want to hit the women or shut her up because we are afraid that she might castrate us, or take the nuts that we might not have to start with.

We must gain security in ourselves and therefore have respect and feelings for all oppressed people. We must not use the racist attitude that the white racists use against our people because they are Black and poor. Many times the poorest white person is the most racist because he is afraid that he might lose something, or discover something that he does not have. So you’re some kind of a threat to him. This kind of psychology is in operation when we view oppressed people and we are angry with them because of their particular kind of behavior, or their particular kind of deviation from the established norm."

Huey Newton, August 15, 1970

It's crazy how people will use the same book that says we were meant to be slaves, to justify their hate or the oppression of another group of people.

Huey Newton died as a ? drug addict and he must have been high on whatever drug when he wrote that ? . The acceptance of deviant behavior to make others comfortable is ? and i don't need the bible to teach me that ? another man in the ass is wrong.

what the ? is wrong with you
  • zombie
    Options
    I gotta ask when the IC started adopting some of the more crazier beliefs of the NOI, 5%ers, Black Hebrews and all that other crazy ? .

Swear, ask some of yall ? apparently the "White devil" invented phaggotry, diseases, recessive genes, sharks, black licorice, Frischs Big Boy.......

Like when the ? did the White Man apparently become Cobra Commander?

Homosexuality is something our ancestors always knew was wrong especially since those crackers were sodomizing them on those ? plantations but you ? today have forgotten this.

• MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kerry Washington used to be thick
  • Knives Amilli
    Options
    I don't get how ? can say that "How can black people be homophobic? We're only 12% of the population!!"

LOL like that ? matters. Asians are 5% of the US population. So their racism against Blacks is meaningless now?

Even if a large group of people are not large enough in numbers to create an opinion on a subject, enough of them can still ENABLE a certain viewpoint.

And due to heavily religious leanings of American Blacks, its a subject that most Blacks feel strongly about. Look at this thread for ? 's sake. There's no middle ground on the opinion.

Here's the deal folks: the reason WHY LGBT issues are so popular for people to address are because:

1. prejudice against LGBT is mostly centered around adherence to gender roles and religion, both of which are being deconstructed at a rate faster than any other time in human history. People are coming to the logical conclusion that its ? stupid to give a ? about who contributing members of society decide to sleep with and how they identify sexually.

2. The ? an easy fix. "Hey Lawmakers of America, give the homos their marriage and people of America, stop caring about their personal lives and gawking at them like a unicorn." See? That's the LGBT issue summed up right there, easy fix. But people are ? so this can't happen.

On the flip side, with Black issues, there is some truth to the matter that Black issues are taboo to discuss because the truth is too uncomfortable for the majority of America. Solutions and hell even the exact problem with the Black community is hotly debated and wrapped up behind the red tape of race relations, racial theory, colonialism, socioeconomics, I mean its just not an easy discussion to have in the first place. ? look at us, we can't agree on ? half the time.

I wish people stood up for black issues more too, but I understand why (in some cases at least) its not more plentiful.
  • Knives Amilli
    Options
    zombie wrote: »

Swear, ask some of yall ? apparently the "White devil" invented phaggotry, diseases, recessive genes, sharks, black licorice, Frischs Big Boy.......

Homosexuality is something our ancestors always knew was wrong especially since those crackers were sodomizing them on those ? plantations but you ? today have forgotten this.

Im not even gonna debate this with you as if their isn't historical evidence of homosexual practices in precolonial Africa (i'm sure you'll say its a plot by Cobra Commander to feminize Black Men)......

But even so I gotta ask, ? were you there? In Pre Colonial Africa? Keeping track of who they were ? ?
  • zombie
    Options

Im not even gonna debate this with you as if their isn't historical evidence of homosexual practices in precolonial Africa (i'm sure you'll say its a plot by Cobra Commander to feminize Black Men)......

But even so I gotta ask, ? were you there? In Pre Colonial Africa? Keeping track of who they were ? ?

I don't know who the ? you think you are talking to but I am well aware of their being evidence of homosexuality in pre colonial Africa but this evidence is very small. in comparison to Europe that had whole societies devoted to homosexuality for hundreds of years.
  • zombie
    Options
    I don't say the white man is a natural ? just to be funny. His history and culture has revealed him to be a blatant ? and sexual deviant on a scale the rises above all other men.
  • zombie
    Options
    That rises above all other men
  • zombie
    Options
    Anyone who thinks that the societies of Africa were equally as ? as the societies of Europe is either a complete idiot or an educated fool.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Swear, ask some of yall ? apparently the "White devil" is some sorta 80s cartoon supervillain that invented phaggotry, diseases, recessive genes, sharks, black licorice, Frischs Big Boy.......

Like when the ? did the White Man apparently become ? Cobra Commander?
    lead_large.jpg

The problem with your extreme ignorance is, there's loads of evidence to support what you are passing off ass conspiracy and rhetoric.

• Kwan Dai
    Options
    I don't get how ? can say that "How can black people be homophobic? We're only 12% of the population!!"

LOL like that ? matters. Asians are 5% of the US population. So their racism against Blacks is meaningless now?

Even if a large group of people are not large enough in numbers to create an opinion on a subject, enough of them can still ENABLE a certain viewpoint.

And due to heavily religious leanings of American Blacks, its a subject that most Blacks feel strongly about. Look at this thread for ? 's sake. There's no middle ground on the opinion.

Here's the deal folks: the reason WHY LGBT issues are so popular for people to address are because:

1. prejudice against LGBT is mostly centered around adherence to gender roles and religion, both of which are being deconstructed at a rate faster than any other time in human history. People are coming to the logical conclusion that its ? stupid to give a ? about who contributing members of society decide to sleep with and how they identify sexually.

2. The ? an easy fix. "Hey Lawmakers of America, give the homos their marriage and people of America, stop caring about their personal lives and gawking at them like a unicorn." See? That's the LGBT issue summed up right there, easy fix. But people are ? so this can't happen.

On the flip side, with Black issues, there is some truth to the matter that Black issues are taboo to discuss because the truth is too uncomfortable for the majority of America. Solutions and hell even the exact problem with the Black community is hotly debated and wrapped up behind the red tape of race relations, racial theory, colonialism, socioeconomics, I mean its just not an easy discussion to have in the first place. ? look at us, we can't agree on ? half the time.

I wish people stood up for black issues more too, but I understand why (in some cases at least) its not more plentiful.

1. Homophobia isn't a phobia according to the american psychiatric association dsm 5.

2. Gender roles aren't governed by religion. Gender roles are governed by nature and historically roles were needed for the survival of a people.

3. The easier fix would have been for ? 's to leave other folks out of their business. It was and continues to be ? 's putting there lives on blast. This ignorant trick knowledge is quite devious and misleading. I don't ever recall, a ? only fountain, ? only store, ? only bathroom, ? being denied education, jobs etc etc. What's more important here is you don't either but you keep on perpetuating lies.
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    how bout she do a lesbian sex scene to put my mind at ease bout ? 's

SHE ALREADY DID..

CHECK OUT "SHE HATE ME"

LAAAAWWWWWWDDD!!!
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I always thought "phobia'' meant a fear of something
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    I always thought "phobia'' meant a fear of something

It does..

• jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    is black homophobia any different from white, asian, or latino homophobia? I'm just curious because I rarely if ever seen black folks walking around with their hate signs saying "death to ? ".
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I find the weird way she forms her mouth when she talks to be very annoying.

That said, I still wouldn't mind seeing what it do.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    lol she didn't "tackle" ? . She just made sure her show got renewed. Who's going to dare to cancel the show of the woman that spoke out against black xyz???? As a mathematician though, how those stats were reported bothers me.

40% of black Americans
    49% of whites
    61% of Democrats

These are not mutually exclusive groups. They have a tremendous over lap. Those numbers are fluffed. If not, then someone needs to make a speech about Republicans being antigay marriage because they seem to have the lowest rate of all. It's less than 39% because we have registered independent, libertarian, ect voters as well. But we can't call them out because.... well you know; #blackCelebsBeLike

oh well, she's americas favorite jump off anyway....
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't care of ? ppl get married.
  • Knives Amilli
    Options
    I don't say the white man is a natural ? just to be funny. His history and culture has revealed him to be a blatant ? and sexual deviant on a scale the rises above all other men.

LOL at some sort of gayness scale

how does it go? Metro>Suspect>Frank Underwood>Ellen>Elton John>Flaming Phaggott?

FOH man.
  • Knives Amilli
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

1. Homophobia isn't a phobia according to the american psychiatric association dsm 5.

2. Gender roles aren't governed by religion. Gender roles are governed by nature and historically roles were needed for the survival of a people.

3. The easier fix would have been for ? 's to leave other folks out of their business. It was and continues to be ? 's putting there lives on blast. This ignorant trick knowledge is quite devious and misleading. I don't ever recall, a ? only fountain, ? only store, ? only bathroom, ? being denied education, jobs etc etc. What's more important here is you don't either but you keep on perpetuating lies.

1. We're arguing semantics. Fine I'll entertain you then. Its not a phobia, its just petty ? prejudice then.

2. ? . Religion has probably had more of a hand in reinforcing gender roles than quite possibly any other social construct on the planet. Religious doctrine in most cases is a reflection of what society is and who writing is feels society should be so it should come as no surprise that religion often reinforces the most primitive and conservative rhetoric of our society.

BY the way go tell women in Afghanistan that religion has nothing to do with them being considered lower than dogs and that being treated as such is needed for the survival of their people.

3. Also, ? . LGBT put their lives on blast BECAUSE peope care about who they're ? not the other way around. In a perfect world no one would bat an eye at two men kissing yet even to this day, two men kissing could potentially be killed just for that alone. Does that sound like we live in a world free of prejudice?

And stop with this "they never endured OUR STRUGGLE!!!" ? . Stop. Thinking like that turns oppression into a ? contest and does more harm then good. How do you feel when people say the Jews had it worst than Blacks? Or how do you think the Chinese feel that NO ONE ever brings up the ? of Nanking? Everyone becomes so petty over the entitlement they feel they deserve for being oppressed that we all turn a blind eye to oppression and by doing so, enable it .

When it happens to other people, we really dont want to help because they haven't gone through the exact circumstances we were oppressed. ? ridiculous.

• Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Okay let's accept and be tolerant of ?
    But let's ? on people's religions and belief systems. Seems admirable.

I agree that it's hypocritical not to accept and 'tolerate' religious people if you promote accepting and 'tolerating' ? people but not necessarily with the comparison between accepting homosexuality and accepting religion. Religion, as well as some secular beliefs and value systems, can justify discrimination and causing unnecessary harm. There are aspects of religion that I consider to be good, though, and it has been used to help people. Sexual attraction is not a choice and only choices can be criticized. If it were a choice, there would still be nothing wrong with homosexuality. I would choose to be bi-sexual, if I could.

and that turn the other cheek thing you non believers take it out of context

How so? @Zombie Didn't Jesus teach his followers to love their enemies?
    I have nothing against ? but i have yet them protest against police brutality against black males and females. They dont give a ? about us.

In my opinion, it's almost meaningless to put ? people into the same one community based on their sexual orientation alone but I say 'almost' because, being a minority group, there probably is a common ? experience that most people can't relate to. I've never heard of ? discriminating against heterosexuals even though it could happen and I would consider it to be just as wrong, I have heard of heterosexuals killing ? people because they were ? , throwing them in prison, pushing them to commit suicide, mocking, disrespecting and psychologically abusing them and generally treating them like ? . Some ? people are involved in anti-police brutality and other pro-human rights protests. How could you possibly know that some Uzbekistanis or Aboriginal Australians weren't involved in the civil rights movement, even if their numbers were obviously low? If ? are as small of a minority as I'm assuming they are, how can you expect half of the people in a march or some kind of protest or belonging to some kind of pro-human rights organization that isn't considered with LGBT issues specifically to be ? or transgendered? As other people have noted, some ? are black so they have a vested interest in improving conditions for both groups.
    I'm tired of American blacks picking up the proverbial shield for a bunch of ? bags - Mexicans, Immigrants, Africans, White feminist, ? , etc - who are MOSTLY absent when blacks are on the front line literally DYING from discrimination.

Immigrants, ? , women, white males etc. are also killed in hate crimes, sometimes by black Americans. If some of them (as you've noted with 'mostly'), whether they represent the majority of their groups or not, are interested in helping to improve conditions for black America then they're not picking up the proverbial shield for people who don't 'deserve' it.
    Oh, but it does. And you just touched on the topic when you reluctantly agreed with the status quo in that you'd prefer your children to be straight. Why do you feel that way? Hypothetically speaking, if your son wanted to wear girl's clothes, how do you imagine you'd react? What would you feel like? I mean, because hey, according to you, the behavior is in line with normalcy.

Now, if you don't think you'd be okay/comfortable with this scenario actually playing out in your life, I suggest you kinda reel it in when bashing traditional thinking.

I co-signed this but just because someone would prefer straight children doesn't necessarily mean they accept discrimination against ? people. If I cared whether or not my children were ? or transgendered it would only be because, as homosexuals and/or transgendered people, they're more likely to have a hard life and to be mistreated by other people. For it's own sake, I would have no preference. I would be fine with my son wearing a dress and glitter lipstick or my daughter playing football and rocking a shaved head as long as they were happy. I would not be OK with my children being egotistical bullies and not caring about even some other people, even though I'd try to separate them from their choices if they were (it's a good thing I don't have children because I wouldn't want them to see their father's hypocrisy or have to prop myself up as a role model for them).
    My question is what do we as a people gain from supporting ? rights?

Justice is impartial. Black people aren't the only people black people should care about.

'Justice', to me, is giving everyone equal consideration. Off topic, a part of me has always liked the idea of Lady Liberty with a blindfold.
  • zombie
    edited March 2015
    Options

LOL at some sort of gayness scale

how does it go? Metro>Suspect>Frank Underwood>Ellen>Elton John>Flaming Phaggott?

FOH man.

So you are just going to ignore the fact that the Greeks practiced ritualistic pederasty

AND by the way you ? idiot you are looking at individuals but i am looks at whole societies.
  • zombie
    Options
    Homosexuality is deeply deeply deeply part of European cultureand history. To deny this fact is willful ignorance.