Kendrick Lamar - "To ? a Butterfly"

Options

Comments

• soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Clout3k wrote: »
    @Listencloser I think it needed to be ? since from what i can tell the point of it comes from the actual bible...

"Truly I say to you, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24"Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of ? ."

Matthew 19:24

In this case the meaning is literal so yeah not very deep, but something lost on most people in the grand scheme of things. Being agnostic I'm not throwing that out on some preach ? . The message while simple, i didn't see it coming when first listening to the song. So I'd say it was effective.

I'm the furthest thing from a theist but I ? with How Much A Dollar Cost too for the same reason. It's a powerful and deep message and while the concept of G-d as a ? isn't exactly new, I didn't see it coming in the last verse.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mortal Man is my favorite track now.

That ? gave us Billy Jean, you say he touched those kids?
    When ? hits the fan is you still a fan?
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How Much a Dollar Cost is deep

Probably my favorite track hands down

I feel the wordplay was incredible but was not very deep in message

I'm not ? on the song because its one of the dopest on the album. The structure of the narative is good the beat and chorus especially Ron at the end is great and his word play is superb but the message is not deep.

Explain what you took from the message in the song? ? as a ? has to tell to him that the path to heaven is through charity. It would have been more poignant if the ? was just a man.

I never said it was groundbreaking. Maybe "deep" is too strong of a word.
    It just makes you (generally speaking) think, how much does a dollar cost? As a society we've been subconsciously taught to look down on those lesser than.
    we look away when we see the poor, make up excuses and become quick to judge.
    we think "hey If I got a job and I'm out here hustling they can do it too." Instead of lending a helping hand we look at all the "negatives" and try to defend our actions as if its somehow justifiable.

Our first thought isnt one to help its to demonize and create scenarios for us to rationalize why we cant lend that dollar.

"son temptation is one thing that Ive defeated"

That line stood out to me the most. Its a reflection of society of we treat people based on appearances. Especially poor black people. "Oh he's a crackhead." Could he have an addiction? Its possible but morally I have no room for judgement. Just because I'm in this car on what grounds do I have to judge based off an appearance? None

We as people shunning the poor says more about us than it does about the person asking for help.

• bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nigha brings up an album that's damn near 10 years old but won't bring up that kendrick outsold Nas last album

That's cool. Anyone think Kendrick will still sell 100k plus his first week 20 years in?
    Whats that Kendrick 2030 album looking like? Think he will still have the audiences ear?
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hahaha @ that ? Wale catching feelings. Hilarious

Mortal Man is my favorite track now.

That ? gave us Billy Jean, you say he touched those kids?
    When ? hits the fan is you still a fan?

Yeah, those lines caught my attention.

Also dude had both Terrace Martin and Robert Glasper producing on the same track! Two of the most prominent New Age jazz musicians. ? incredible!!!
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn y'all leave Wale alone breh
  • mike_tech
    mike_tech Members Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Okay finally heard this album, I gotta say it is an overhyped album. Yea the sound is different but that dont mean its dope or classic, I think kendrick is trying too hard to be different. The album is ok/good nothing more nothing less to me. I think kendrick fans are forcing themselves to listen and like this album lol.
  • Babaaa
    Babaaa Members Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mike_tech wrote: »
    Okay finally heard this album, I gotta say it is an overhyped album. Yea the sound is different but that dont mean its dope or classic, I think kendrick is trying too hard to be different. The album is ok/good nothing more nothing less to me. I think kendrick fans are forcing themselves to listen and like this album lol.

So just because you think its overhyped everybody else is forcing themselves to like it?

Ait that makes sense
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bignorm wrote: »
    Nigha brings up an album that's damn near 10 years old but won't bring up that kendrick outsold Nas last album

That's cool. Anyone think Kendrick will still sell 100k plus his first week 20 years in?
    Whats that Kendrick 2030 album looking like? Think he will still have the audiences ear?
    Huh
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You guys always think of the dumbest ? to say
  • clippyclipp n*gga
    clippyclipp n*gga Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You know i find hilarious that peoole said kendrick did something different he really isn't different if you listen to his catalog its just bits and pieces of styles of music he has already done before. I can tell theselisteners that just started listening to kendrick during gkmc hype.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    album about nothing about to go double nothing....

i dont ? with wale but my brother went out of his way to let me know that his new project is pretty good.

April Fools?
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some of the tracks on this album really don't make sense to me.

Especially that For Free? track.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    11102690_10153207856124551_6837635604659029453_n.png?efg=eyJpIjoibCJ9&oh=61a863f58fcd617d905eec60ab312739&oe=55B40A0C&__gda__=1438098521_13e7e0d8485a6cf297b7d1f365d2fc74

Dude is bitter his Lady Gaga cosign didn't work out for him.
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think Kendrick's next Album should be his Last .
    His Catalog is so ? solid already .

GKMC shows his beginnings and where he comes from.
    TPAB shows what he's going through currently after newfound success & current events within the Black Community .

I think his next album should be on some Prophetic futuristic ? & speaking on what we need to do and what he's going to do with himself after his success . Sorta like some Past, Present, & Future trilogy ? lol

? would go down as a Music ? ...not an Icon, but probably our most important artist in a long time .
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The beginning of the album is not great to me..but the middle to end def make up for it. From track 5 on its a classic to me. I wish "king kunta" didnt get all that hype, I was expecting some next level ? .
    "You aint gotta lie" my favorite joint on hereright now n the two singles sound alot better w the rest of the album especially the live version "I" w/o the weird high pitch voice n the a capella at the end.
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ...This is cool though .

Meaning behind the TPAB Poem?: http://youtu.be/UViH4rUXs_M
  • MagikMikePipeGame
    MagikMikePipeGame Members Posts: 7
    Options
    Better on subsequent listens, same as I thought about Lupe's but I think he handled the themes better and was more ambitious. Lupes effort was better lyrically.