When Does Personal Responsibility End and White Supremacy and Racism Begin?

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm not going to sit here and deny that we as people have certain obstacles that put us in a disadvantage when dealing with the dominate society. These things become apparent when you have instances like Ferguson and the Eric Garner case when you literally have the police able to ? people in the street with impunity. However, the hard question has to be asked, what role are we as a people doing perpetuate the situation that we're in?

I'm of the school of thought black people directly and indirectly help perpetuate the system of white supremacy simply by not being responsible and making better choices in life. White supremacy may keep black people from getting a movie made, may prevent a company from getting contract on a construction project, or may even prevent a person from getting a job, but what does white supremacy have to do with a chick deciding not to use one of the 11 forms of birth control that are available to her or what does white supremacy have to do with black people on the whole not taking education seriously?

We all know that judicial system deals with us more harshly than it does with whites, but what does white supremacy have to with dudes making the decision (of their own volition,) to engage in criminal activity? It seems to be only common sense that if the criminal justice system is harsher on blacks and the knowing that police have a history of harassing blacks, that would be even more of an intensive to steer clear of criminal activity. Instead we seem to not only run to criminal activity, we see as viable means to making a living.

I believe that we as a people, have a low expectation of ourselves on a whole, (kinda like an attention whorin' ? ,) and due to this low expectation is part of the reason why the dominate society is so blatant in their disrespect towards us. If we started by simply making better life decisions and holding ourselves to a higher standard, than others treat us will do so also.

Comments

• A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Black people perpetuate racial inequality through their behavior and values. No doubt about it.

But when we really check things out you will see that the self-defeating behavior and values are themselves rooted in racism, both past and present.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a fine line.

• Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But when we really check things out you will see that the self-defeating behavior and values are themselves rooted in racism, both past and present.

So part of the solution is checking ourselves. Where do we go from there?

• leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Capitalism. And people are the capital. Racism is profitable and blacks have no international backing because we for the most part ONLY identify with American culture and have no international backing...again cuz we only identify with American culture. So they don't have to give a ? .

1. Isolate (Africa to America)
    2. Indoctrinate (education, religion, culture, establish/train/punish behavior, set standard of success/failure)
    3. Dominate
    These things become apparent when you have instances like Ferguson and the Eric Garner case when you literally have the police able to ? people in the street with impunity. However, the hard question has to be asked, what role are we as a people doing perpetuate the situation that we're in?

First sentence quoted.....
    Those two sentences when strung together would lead a person to believe they are related but they are not. It's similar to a diversionary tactic. Police ? you in the street because there is no recourse. You don't see brown East Asian Muslims, Hindus, and Sikhs getting laid down in the street with no recourse. Because the ones who are here in america likely came here and are getting money and have backing.....even after 9/11 and today's anti-Islam campaign police know who they can ? with and who they can't.As much hate as I'm gon get for saying this, it's true time and time again in modern times...Martin Luther King is pushed heavily BY the government as the model for black behavior because it plays into their hand.....smack the ? around and they'll just march up and down the street....give it a week or two and it'll pass....ok....so.....back to business.

Second sentence quoted...
    I've taken advantage of ppl who didn't have it coming. They didn't do anything to warrant it but I used them in that moment to further my own agenda. They can take a nice long look and blame themselves and self reflect, but it just makes me feel less guilty like "well maybe their right, it's not my fault".....outwardly blaming them and them accepting their role in it actually partially absolves me if I chose to use that as an excuse to justify it in my own mind..

With that said...
    Before skinny jeans and new blacks.....we were still ?
    Before baggy clothes and sagging jeans....we were still ?
    Before Afros and black fists....we were still ? .
    Before the Jim Crow era and separate but "equal"....we were still ? .
    Before that we were physically slaves.....we were ? .
    Before slavery.....we were African....and not ? .
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You ? aren't doing nothing but sitting here looking for different ways to ask the same question the most intellectually. Get up, connect, do away with selfish pursuits, impact your community and stand as one. Start fighting, stop writing.
  • Gucci Scott King
    Gucci Scott King Members Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black people perpetuate racial inequality through their behavior and values. No doubt about it.

This sounds like some "If I do this, then I won't get hit" battered wife ? .
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This battle will keep going on till we not here anymore, and until your kids have kids.

You cant ? good or evil, only dodge it for a a lil bit of time.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    Bruh.

Are we, as a people, "perpetuating" something that caused the pigs to ? Mike Ferguson and Eric Garner ... ?

Are we responsible for white supremacist groups / racism in general ?

Does that really make sense to you.

It's Black people who don't do none of the generalizing ? you wrote and the problem still exists.

Personal responsibility is just that. If we're responsible for our own ? , then racists are responsible for being racist. ? is the new ? of Black people blaming Black people for everything ?

You act like there's a MF'ing criminal out here asking for a break. Nah, it's regular Black people saying we ain't all criminals

? , and even criminals have rights.

And on that note.... /thread
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can only take responsibility for what you personally have done. what you can personally do (i.e choices you can make) is/are limited by the options presented. Racism can and does limit choices leaving nothing but negative options.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been stuck on this for a minute

It's a difficult line to draw because on one hand there are a lot of things we consider to be beyond our control. These things range from the kind of family we are born into, to what school we attend, and even biological things like cognitive capacity. Frequently we excuse people for poor performance or bad decisions because we understand that nobody chooses what kind of life they will inherit, and everything else is basically a direct consequence of it so they can't really be blamed. If you grew up a screw up it's more understandable if it's the only thing you ever knew of.

Then it seems like you're simply forgiving people for not doing their best though. Which is problematic. Deciding where to hold people accountable and when to excuse them never seems to be inconsistent. A good example are some feminist thinkers who almost portray women as victims in every scenario, incapable of making their own decisions, and simply living a life thrust unto them by male society. We also do it for the mentally ill. Thing is, everyone is living in a cause-and-effect world: if one person's actions can be excused because of causes beyond their control, and everyone else lives in the same kind of world, then why do we only excuse certain peoples' actions? It's like we legitimize certain peoples' lack of agency and ignore others.

Personal responsibility tbh, just seems like something people who got lucky in the lottery of life say to try and protect their position. If they can delude others into believing that they earned their lifestyle rather than inherited it then it makes it less likely that those who are being screwed by the system will do something about it.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    If black people stopped being everything whites and racists/bigots hate about us and did everything they think we should be doing will that make them stop being racist/prejudice? I thinks not.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    IIf we started by simply making better life decisions and holding ourselves to a higher standard, than others treat us will do so also.

we should be holding ourselves to a higher standard but the goal shouldn't be to wanting other groups to accept us. we should be making good decisions because we're stronger together than we are apart. It's good for your own morale to have your ? together as best you can. ? any outsiders opinions.

I've said this before but martin, malcolm & nem wore suits everyday & were treated worse.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not all of the stuff that happen to blacks always our fault. Not all stuff that happen to us always whites fault either. Sometimes you just get bad hand. but keep it real with yoself though ? Aint nobody trying to keep hearing the black man sob stories over and over again G. It's sink or swim with us as far as others showing us the way... your main duty is to ? first...cuz thats the person that can make and break u times infinite. all the other stuff don't matter...not these females and they booties, not your pockets, not your cars rims and all these other distractions.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't understand why people think these two issues are synonymous with each other. Like we gotta give em collateral wtf.

And why do we put all black people under one umbrella of ? every time a ? does some ? ? on wshh or something.
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm tired of y'all ? with the mentality that if we "respect ourselves" that racism will start to subside. That's some ? and a scapegoat if I've ever heard one.

We, as black people, were as proud, respectful, unified, family oriented and every other positive synonym we could possibly be in the 50's and 60's, and what happened?

tumblr_m63ngccBuL1rytfqio1_1280.jpg
    Birmingham_campaign_dogs.jpg
    Birmingham_campaign_water_hoses.jpg
    tumblr_inline_nc4hkoiF7H1qm86g3.jpg

^^^ Did we not "respect ourselves" then, too? What? We weren't personally accountable enough? Y'all need to realize that some ? will not change. This society was created when we were thought to be subhuman.

Stop acting like a ? battered wife. "Is it something I did? It must be me. I'm just not doing enough right for him, that's why he keeps hitting me."

That's how all y'all ? sound to me.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? laughed when I created my thread about the IC coming together to establish a Super PAC in order to make a significant change, block to block, city by city. Support politicians who we think will make a change: as well as buy dilapidated buildings and have it rebuilt, repurposed, or something new created in its place.

Still unsure ? ???
  • LurkdogAchilles
    LurkdogAchilles Members Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    to make this as short as possible:

yes there is SOME personal responsibility, but only when you know better
    to be able to do better.

that responsibility starts at home, with raising a child, teaching.
    that teaching has been missing or flawed because who does the teaching? parents
    how can parents teach when they aren't properly trained or fit to teach?
    we got a lotta aint ? ass ? raising more aint ? ass ? , and it all started
    from circumstances that were created by the dominant society that you speak of and
    it was all planned to be that way.

• LurkdogAchilles
    Options
    this is kinda off topic but in a way related.

before i came to the IC i used to visit the main AHH page, rumors and all that ? .
    like 5-6 years ago it was put out there in the rumors that hip-hop would start pushing
    the ? agenda. there would be a mainstream homosexual rapper. in '09 i was like yea
    right. look where we are now.

now think about this, this ? was planned FIVE TO SIX YEARS AGO to keep pushing the
    type of imagery that's going to encourage young black minds to not reproduce and make
    more black people. so all these confused young black minds out here being homos, who
    is responsible for that. that is (part of the) planned white supremacy, and part of the reason
    you can't use blanket personal responsibility theories. these cacs aint playing, they coming
    at us from ALL sides.

yes there is personal responsibility involved, but probably the majority of us aren't even aware
    of the type of ? thats put in place to hold us back.

i dont wanna start rambling for real so i'll stop here
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? laughed when I created my thread about the IC coming together to establish a Super PAC in order to make a significant change, block to block, city by city. Support politicians who we think will make a change: as well as buy dilapidated buildings and have it rebuilt, repurposed, or something new created in its place.

Still unsure ? ???

We could already do that with crowdfunding. Politicians will never do ? for Black America, so we should just do for ourselves.
  • LurkdogAchilles
    Options
    Before skinny jeans and new blacks.....we were still ?
    Before baggy clothes and sagging jeans....we were still ?
    Before Afros and black fists....we were still ? .
    Before the Jim Crow era and separate but "equal"....we were still ? .
    Before that we were physically slaves.....we were ? .
    Before slavery.....we were African....and not ? .

• A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    I'm tired of y'all ? with the mentality that if we "respect ourselves" that racism will start to subside. That's some ? and a scapegoat if I've ever heard one.

We, as black people, were as proud, respectful, unified, family oriented and every other positive synonym we could possibly be in the 50's and 60's, and what happened?

tumblr_m63ngccBuL1rytfqio1_1280.jpg
    Birmingham_campaign_dogs.jpg
    Birmingham_campaign_water_hoses.jpg
    tumblr_inline_nc4hkoiF7H1qm86g3.jpg

^^^ Did we not "respect ourselves" then, too? What? We weren't personally accountable enough? Y'all need to realize that some ? will not change. This society was created when we were thought to be subhuman.

Stop acting like a ? battered wife. "Is it something I did? It must be me. I'm just not doing enough right for him, that's why he keeps hitting me."

That's how all y'all ? sound to me.

That's not what I am saying though. I am saying that if we did certain things differently, we would be better off, even if racism did not change at all.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Still unsure ? ???

We could already do that with crowdfunding. Politicians will never do ? for Black America, so we should just do for ourselves.

That's why I'm saying we the IC can become powerful changers of the present course in black America