Dr. (? )Ben Carson blasts hip-hop for hurting Black communities/he also says hip hop opposes Jesus

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
businessinsider.com/ben-carson-blasts-hip-hop-2015-4#ixzz3WZ98KaTe

mediaite.com/online/ben-carson-defines-hip-hop-as-opposing-anything-that-has-to-do-with-jesus-christ/
Dr. Ben Carson stopped by New York’s R&B radio station WBLS on Easter Sunday morning to share the news that he will announce his 2016 plans at the beginning of May. But while was there, the potential Republican candidate also made some comments about hip hop music that are likely to rub people, both in and out of the African-American community, the wrong way.

“We need to reestablish faith in our communities and the values and principles that got us through slavery, that got us through Jim Crow, and segregation, and all kinds of horrible things that were heaped upon us,” Carson said, according to Business Insider. “Why were we able to get through those? Because of our faith, because of our family, because of our values, and as we allow the hip hop community to destroy those things for us, and as we grasp onto what’s politically correct and not what is correct, we continue to deteriorate.”

The assertion that hip hop music stands in sharp opposition to “family values” received some pushback from the show’s host, who told Carson, “When you said ‘hip-hop,’ my antennae went up very quickly, because I said, ‘Wait a minute that sounds like an old argument that they used to make about rock ‘n’ roll/R&B back in the fifties.’ That’s what they used to say.”

In an attempt to better explain what he meant, Carson replied, “When I talk about the hip hop community, I’m talking about the aspect of modern society that pretty much dismisses anything that has to do with Jesus Christ, that’s what I’m talking about.”

Comments

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    Wrd. Hiphop burned down black wall street.

Hiphop kept resources from black ppl.

Hiphop is taking resources out of Africa, and is leaving African with crumbs....

Africans governments get them side deals.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Jesus turned water into wine

Biggie sipped wine in male strip clubs

If anything they just following his foot steps
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Wrd. Hiphop burned down black wall street.

Hiphop kept resources from black ppl.

Hiphop is taking resources out of Africa, and is leaving African with crumbs....

Africans governments get them side deals.

They , i mean hiphop also instigate wars and give foreign countries guns while they run away with the resources...
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well, it's not like he lying about the Jesus part as far as some hip hop goes

Keyword:some
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JusDre313 wrote: »
    You fake, confused, lying militants ? me. You really do.

Hip hop has hurt black folks on a whole, and something is wrong with you if you can't see that.

For example, it has made many middle class kids try to imitate their poorer brethren -- by embracing a self-defeating, if perhaps adaptive in some ways, conception of blackness, one which, for example, deemphasizes academic achievement as a path to success -- thus squandering the opportunities that their parents worked so hard to secure for them. (This is why many middle class blacks actually end up worse off then their parents -- a fact that is currently a subject of investigation by many social scientists.)

Granted, some these negative affects may have been worse in the 1990s and 2000s, but that doesn't make them any less real.

Now wack this, troll, this, etc. if you want. I already told y'all that I am not on this to be most popular. I am here to speak truth.

will do

Don't quote that fool
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hiphop is denying college graduates jobs.

Hiphop shot Trayvon

Hiphop lynched that black guy in 2015

• zombie
    Options
    That whole thing made no sense
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options

Hiphop shot Trayvon

The ? is your point? You can think that hip hop has hurt us without thinking that it causes racism and discrimination, nevermind any other problem in the world.

You are just confusing the issue.
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What the ? is with this focus on shifting blame to rap music???? Every other genre of music is positive but that rap ? noise is the cause of ALL problems..... OK.... Smh IM
  • zombie
    Options

Hiphop shot Trayvon

The ? is your point? You can think that hip hop has hurt us without thinking that it causes racism and discrimination, nevermind any other problem in the world.

You are just confusing the issue.

? idiot
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he's still mad because nas snuffed jesus? he was only 12 when he did that.

remember when the r&r intelligentsia used to love this ? ?
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If it ain't with Jesus, it's against.

This ain't Godliness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsVnUpl2IKQ
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To think I was gonna buy one of his books..
  • A Talented One
    Options
    I'm not sure if some of you really understand, so let me break it down for you.

It can both be true that what they did to Travyon was ? up AND that hip hop depresses black academic achievement, for example.

It can both be true that what they did to Mike Brown was ? up AND that hip hop depresses black academic achievement.

It can both be true that employment discrimination remains rampant AND that hip hop depresses black academic achievement.

It can both be true that they burned down black Wall Street AND that hip hop depresses black academic achievement.

I hope you see the point. This dude D0wn just confusing things.
  • zombie
    Options
    There is no way to prove that hip-hop depresses academic progression more than anything else in modern day American culture you ? idiot.
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not sure if some of you really understand, so let me break it down for you.

It can both be true that what they did to Travyon was ? up AND that hip hop depresses black academic achievement, for example.

It can both be true that what they did to Mike Brown was ? up AND that hip hop depresses black academic achievement.

It can both be true that employment discrimination remains rampant AND that hip hop depresses black academic achievement.

It can both be true that they burned down black Wall Street AND that hip hop depresses black academic achievement.

I hope you see the point. This dude D0wn just confusing things.

Show's about to start Don they need you in sound check
  • A Talented One
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    There is no way to prove that hip-hop depresses academic progression more than anything else in modern day American culture you ? idiot.

What I said doesn't have anything to do with proving anything.

You idiot.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? him

But if music can inspire greatness and change it also can cause......
  • zombie
    Options
    zombie wrote: »

What I said doesn't have anything to do with proving anything.

You idiot.

If you can't prove it then it's just talk with no bearing on reality.