Dr. (? )Ben Carson blasts hip-hop for hurting Black communities/he also says hip hop opposes Jesus

Options

Comments

• A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    remember when hip hop decided that blacks were 3/5 of a man?
    or when hip hop redlined blacks so they couldn't leave bad areas?
    or when hip hop decided to use the police to force blacks into revenue streams for local governments while also throwing them in jail?
    me niether.

Suppose that hip hop truly did hold blacks back. Just for the sake of the argument.

Then that is something we should look to change, whether or not whites ever become less racist by one iota, and whether or not they play a part (as I believe they do) in how hop hip became such that it holds us back.

It would also follow that when people say "hip hop holds us back," and you caricature that claim into ridiculous claims about how hip hop caused various historical instances of racism, that you would not be helping things. And that would be because you would be helping to prevent a discussion we should be having.

So the only way that this pattern of arguing of yours can be justified is if there were good reasons to believe that hip hop did not in fact hold us back.

I don't believe such reasons exist.

But the more important point is that you shouldn't presume that your opinion on this issue is so undoubtedly correct that you can blithely continue to confuse the issue -- and thereby prevent potentially helpful discussion -- when this topic comes up.

I hope this explains where I am coming from (together with what I said on the first page).

Caricaturing these arguments about hip hop is majorly counterproductive. Now please stop.

@Meta_Conscious What is your response to this argument?

I want a direct response, not the usual argument by some form of indirection that you usually practice.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hip Hop shortened Bo Jacksons career... why hip hop ?!?! why!?
  • A Talented One
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    When this topic comes up people never fail to trot out the same silly, easily-disproven arguments. There was lung cancer before there was cigarette smoking, so I guess smoking cigarettes could not possibly contribute to lung cancer.

Do people really think about what they are saying? I mean really think?
    kzzl wrote: »
    This isn't about hip hop. This is about cracking down on what white supremacy deems unapproved black behavior.

White supremacy may disapprove of a certain black behavior and that behavior might nevertheless be bad for us independently of the disapproval.

But if the cases of lung cancer DECREASED after the introduction of cigarettes that would make the whole notion that cigarettes contributed to lung cancer seem absurd right?

The crime rate in the Black community has DECREASED since the introduction of hip hop
    College graduation rates have INCREASED since the introduction of hip hop

? your feelings these are easily verifiable facts. You're not making as good of points as you think right now do some research.

Crime increased since the introduction of hip hop. That's a fact. Now it has in more recent years decreased again. But that's consistent with hip hop being a contributing factor. There are other factors in play obviously, and no one with any sense would say that hip hop is the only factor.

Same thing with college graduation rates.

And if the cases of lung cancer decreased after the introduction of cigarettes, that would not make the whole notion that cigarettes contributed to lung cancer seem absurd. The other factors in play might have receded in their effects just as cigarettes were becoming widely used.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    crime been decreasing for 30 years... it was more dangerous in the 1920s than it is now... lol
    hip hop killed my baby!
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I repeat: let's all do some research before we just blurt out unsupported statements and claim them as facts.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So nobody gon answer my question
  • A Talented One
    edited April 2015
    Options
    When this topic comes up people never fail to trot out the same silly, easily-disproven arguments. There was lung cancer before there was cigarette smoking, so I guess smoking cigarettes could not possibly contribute to lung cancer.

This isn't about hip hop. This is about cracking down on what white supremacy deems unapproved black behavior.

White supremacy may disapprove of a certain black behavior and that behavior might nevertheless be bad for us independently of the disapproval.

But if the cases of lung cancer DECREASED after the introduction of cigarettes that would make the whole notion that cigarettes contributed to lung cancer seem absurd right?

The crime rate in the Black community has DECREASED since the introduction of hip hop

? your feelings these are easily verifiable facts. You're not making as good of points as you think right now do some research.

Crime increased since the introduction of hip hop. That's a fact. Now it has in more recent years decreased again. But that's consistent with hip hop being a contributing factor. There are other factors in play obviously, and no one with any sense would say that hip hop is the only factor.

And if the cases of lung cancer decreased after the introduction of cigarettes, that would not make the whole notion that cigarettes contributed to lung cancer seem absurd. The other factors in play might have receded in their effects just as cigarettes were becoming widely used.

*SIGH* stick to arguing your feelings bro. Facts aren't your strong point.

Homicide Rate
    vrg8wy.png

Dropout Rates
    jg1ity.png
    source : http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2012/2012006.pdf

College Attendance
    2w4w75w.png

Ok, I appear to stand corrected about college graduation rates. (Still, it is well-known that the racial test score gap was steadily closing for decades, but either slowed down or started to widen again in the late 80s.) But what you posted supports what I said about crime rates. Hip hop was around by the mid-1990s. And already very popular too.

Anyway, you have not addressed the most important point. This is that something can contribute to the increase (or decrease) of something while the general level of that thing is decreasing (or increasing). So, for example, if rates of lung cancer started to decline just as cigarettes were becoming more widely used, that would not show that cigarette smoking does not contribute positively to lung cancer.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Homicide Rate
    vrg8wy.png

Dropout Rates
    jg1ity.png

College Attendance
    2w4w75w.png

Ok, I appear to stand corrected about college graduation rates. (Still, it is well known that the racial test score gap was steadily closing for decades, but either slowed down or started widely again in the late 80s.) But what you posted supports what I said about crime rates. Hip hop was around by the mid-1990s. And already very popular too.

Anyway, you have not addressed the most important point. This is that something can contribute to the increase (or decrease) of something while the general level of that thing is decreasing (or increasing). So, for example, if rates of lung cancer started to decline just as cigarettes were becoming more widely used, that would not show that cigarette smoking does not contribute positively to lung cancer.

No bruh...hip hop was around in the late 70's...and then crime started decreasing well into the mid 80's and then began to climb when ? started to spread. The crime rate decreased as hip hop initially spread and then increased as ? spread...since ? has dried up it's been falling ever since the mid 90's and is almost half of what it was in the 70's.

The crime rate did not increase following the introduction of hip hop - that was the most important point. There's no purpose of going off on a tangent now about cigarettes and lung cancer.
  • A Talented One
    Options

Homicide Rate
    vrg8wy.png

Dropout Rates
    jg1ity.png

College Attendance
    2w4w75w.png

Ok, I appear to stand corrected about college graduation rates. (Still, it is well known that the racial test score gap was steadily closing for decades, but either slowed down or started widely again in the late 80s.) But what you posted supports what I said about crime rates. Hip hop was around by the mid-1990s. And already very popular too.

No bruh...hip hop was around in the late 70's...and then crime started decreasing well into the mid 80's and then began to climb when ? started to spread. The crime rate decreased as hip hop initially spread and then increased as ? spread...since ? has dried up it's been falling ever since the mid 90's and is almost half of what it was in the 70's.

The crime rate did not increase following the introduction of hip hop - that was the most important point. There's no purpose of going off on a tangent now about cigarettes and lung cancer.

I would say that ? is more important for crime rates than hip hop, possibly by far, but what you are failing to mention is that hip hop in 1994 was not the same as hip hop in 1979. A lot had changed in 15 years, and not for the better. So the crime rate did increase once hip hop started getting less positive.

Anyway, the most important point is what I said: that something can contribute to the increase (or decrease) of something while the general level of that thing is decreasing (or increasing).

I applaud you for actually trying to engage my arguments (instead of seeking refuge in reactions), but I can't continue to go back and forth about this tonight. I have other things I should be doing.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    hip hop brought ? to the hood!
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Arming/equipping yourself with the necessary skills/tools to survive n' thrive in a hyper-competitive, cutthroat environment> These respectability/conduct politics.
    “When I talk about the hip hop community, I’m talking about the aspect of modern society that pretty much dismisses anything that has to do with Jesus Christ, that’s what I’m talking about.”
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Your first mistake was listening to Ben Carson.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @A Talented One losing his argument and all of a sudden realizing he has something to do.
  • A Talented One
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    Lol @A Talented One losing his argument and all of a sudden realizing he has something to do.

Losing the argument? How could that be?

That's not a rhetorical question. If I am right, as I surely am, that something can tend to contribute to the increase (or decrease) of something while the general level of that thing is decreasing (or increasing), then all the statistics that he posted proves nothing. They would be completely irrelevant. And since he didn't make any other argument, how could I lose the argument?

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ATalentedOne is the epitome of ? niggardry
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Can yall answer this.

Can hip hop inspire?

Yes.
  • SixSickSins
    SixSickSins Members Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hip-hop music will always be a scapegoat.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never seen a guy bomb his own presidential hopes so bad before it even started. ? better not even waste the money.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People think crime is so bad because social media can blow up any crime anywhere. If you just look at crime in your city vs crime all over the country or world ? ain't that bad. Man imagine if we had Twitter in the 80s and 90s. ? would look worse back then than it does now.
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? put Jesus and Q-Tip in the same sentence..... Smh y'all goin to hell.......
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ben carson makes bryant gumble look like malcolm x
  • vitoria
    vitoria Members Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    crime been decreasing for 30 years... it was more dangerous in the 1920s than it is now... lol
    hip hop killed my baby!
    Don't believe that

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Can yall answer this.

Can hip hop inspire?

Yes.

If you believe that then you have to believe hip hop can destroy.