• raheemclassick
    raheemclassick Members Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    aneed123 wrote: »
    they was scared on Styles street rep moreso his music
    Nobody was scared of Styles. Ask Trick Trick! LOL"

back then they were .... All that hardest ? out ? . U tell me why they was coppin pleas talkin bout styles we cool tho?
    Back then is when Styles got knotted up by Trick Trick" We all know A lot of these rappers don't like Jay, but you will never hear of any of them putting hands on him"

Shows how much people know, talkin bout nggas was scared of Styles P foh

What nggas dont know, Trick trick is under Jay z umbrella!!

That came to light when Jim Jones n co slapped up Ty Ty's brother and Neyo (lol), then next show they had in Detroit they got rushed on stage and shot at

"That sh*t is 100% behind that Louis Vuitton sh*t. That was the whole retaliation because Jim didn’t even expect that sh*t to come out of Detroit from that New York sh*t.

Jay and them got goons in Detroit, specifically Trick Trick who didn’t like that sh*t. N***** got on a conference call with the B.I.G. Homies and Jim got touched and it was simple as that. He just got lucky. The shooting occurred when one of Jimmy’s lame n***** tried to shoot. It wasn’t that they were trying to assassinate Jim. That was it"

Whole story:
    http://www.thisis50.com/m/discussion?id=784568:Topic:12141483
    Speak on it brother!

• water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Jay was definitely not a superstar, far from it... Hes only become a superstar since he married one... A superstar is a household name all around the world, like 50 Cent and Eminem, Jay has only done that in the last 3-2 years...

He was a rap star, one of the biggest, as was Jada... DMX was bigger than Jay, he had 2 plat albums in one year... Yeah Jay was at the forefront behind Rocafella, but they were still only rap stars...

The D Block, Ruff Ryders movement was just as big, if not bigger than Rocafella movement, it just didn't last as long..
    (What are you, ignit or something")

You mean ignorant??? No Im not...
  • raheemclassick
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »

This where I ether that point.. Eminem the biggest rapper in 2000 was the opening act of the Up In Smoke Tour.

50 Cent was bigger than Jay-Z during Roc The Mic tour yet still shared headlining duties.
    Its not how you start, but how you end"
    Em don't count because of white bias" Jay is no-doubt bigger then 50, dmx, anybody on double R.
  • raheemclassick
    Options

Jay was definitely not a superstar, far from it... Hes only become a superstar since he married one... A superstar is a household name all around the world, like 50 Cent and Eminem, Jay has only done that in the last 3-2 years...

He was a rap star, one of the biggest, as was Jada... DMX was bigger than Jay, he had 2 plat albums in one year... Yeah Jay was at the forefront behind Rocafella, but they were still only rap stars...

The D Block, Ruff Ryders movement was just as big, if not bigger than Rocafella movement, it just didn't last as long..
    (What are you, ignit or something")

You mean ignorant??? No Im not...
    I know the proper spelling, but in this instance, it's meant to sound as it's spelled (And of course no disrespect intended)

• vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you think DMX and jay-z wasn't on the same popularity level at one time you tripping foreal and if you think ruff ryders wasn't on the same level as roc a fella at some point you smoking ? foreal
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    After the show it's the afterparty, then,
    After the party it's the hotel lobby, then
    After the Belve then it's probably Cris,
    And after the original it's probably this
  • TheManInBlack4.0
    TheManInBlack4.0 Members Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's a lot of revisionist history in this thread.

• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay even came up with the phrase "X'd the game" for a reason, nobody was bigger than X from 98-2000
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man roc a fella was so big Memphis bleek got gold plaques.... That should tell you all you need to know right there.... ? really tryna run with jay wasn't that big till Beyonce huh??? Y'all need to stop idgaf who buys yo album if you selling 5x mill and headlining one of the biggest hip hop tours EVER I'm sorry that puts you at the top of food chain...I mean damn the ? won his only Grammy for best hip hop album with vol 2...wtf do y'all ? call the biggest ? lol
  • antoseeg
    antoseeg Members Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Jay even came up with the phrase "X'd the game" for a reason, nobody was bigger than X from 98-2000

There's more to that phrase than just that.

X'd your name out put Jigga on top
    and dropped albums nonstop for ya ?

Jay-Z has never said that any rapper is superior to him in any way. He calls himself the ? M.C.
  • antoseeg
    antoseeg Members Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    antoseeg wrote: »

There's more to that line than just that.

X'd your name out put Jigga on top
    and dropped albums nonstop for ya ?

No, I'm pretty sure it was 50 he was talking about when he said he "X'd the game"
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember those years. The guy in that video summed it up pretty good.

From 97-00 Jadakiss was considered the new kid on the block and always brought his A-game to the studio. Whether it was posse jams, remixes or collabos, Jadakiss never dissapointed. He was on every mixtape in that era. And this was before the internet and file sharing. I can remember going to 125th st in Harlem and copping the Green Lantern mixtape with 2 Gunz Up. You know the song where he says he's "Top 5 Dead or Alive/ and that's just off one LP"

But after two solo albums Jadakiss's buzz died down. He didn't strike while the iron was hot. He never delivered that 5 mic classic. I'm not sure why he didn't blow up like Jay Z, DMX or 50 Cent. maybe it had something to do with that song New York , New York and 50s response (Piggybank).

In any case, Jadakiss was one of the hottest MCs in the late 90s/early 00s but being "hot" didn't translate into fame and/or celebrity status. Not on the level of Jay Z, Drake, Lil Wayne Nicki Minaj, etc.

But yeah, he was killing mixtapes from 99-01.
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is ? chatty patty trash. I could say the same ? based on all the ? I've heard/seen/guessed. 10 minutes of my life I can't get back.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they was scared on Styles street rep moreso his music
    Nobody was scared of Styles. Ask Trick Trick! LOL"

back then they were .... All that hardest ? out ? . U tell me why they was coppin pleas talkin bout styles we cool tho?
    Back then is when Styles got knotted up by Trick Trick" We all know A lot of these rappers don't like Jay, but you will never hear of any of them putting hands on him"

Shows how much people know, talkin bout nggas was scared of Styles P foh

What nggas dont know, Trick trick is under Jay z umbrella!!

That came to light when Jim Jones n co slapped up Ty Ty's brother and Neyo (lol), then next show they had in Detroit they got rushed on stage and shot at

"That sh*t is 100% behind that Louis Vuitton sh*t. That was the whole retaliation because Jim didn’t even expect that sh*t to come out of Detroit from that New York sh*t.

Jay and them got goons in Detroit, specifically Trick Trick who didn’t like that sh*t. N***** got on a conference call with the B.I.G. Homies and Jim got touched and it was simple as that. He just got lucky. The shooting occurred when one of Jimmy’s lame n***** tried to shoot. It wasn’t that they were trying to assassinate Jim. That was it"

Whole story:
    http://www.thisis50.com/m/discussion?id=784568:Topic:12141483

Didn't know that
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://youtu.be/WuYWIA5TnU0

^^^i had no idea this ? existed. kell's trippin for not putting this version on tp2.com..

Dope
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

From 97-00 Jadakiss was considered the new kid on the block and always brought his A-game to the studio. Whether it was posse jams, remixes or collabos, Jadakiss never dissapointed. He was on every mixtape in that era. And this was before the internet and file sharing. I can remember going to 125th st in Harlem and copping the Green Lantern mixtape with 2 Gunz Up. You know the song where he says he's "Top 5 Dead or Alive/ and that's just off one LP"

But after two solo albums Jadakiss's buzz died down. He didn't strike while the iron was hot. He never delivered that 5 mic classic. I'm not sure why he didn't blow up like Jay Z, DMX or 50 Cent. maybe it had something to do with that song New York , New York and 50s response (Piggybank).

In any case, Jadakiss was one of the hottest MCs in the late 90s/early 00s but being "hot" didn't translate into fame and/or celebrity status. Not on the level of Jay Z, Drake, Lil Wayne Nicki Minaj, etc.

His buzz didn't die down after his 2nd album the song why is what blew him up more but taking a 5 year break from making an album didn't help either
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? ass hoe son of taboo hoe ? dis sir uncle tom ford jr skirt ass house ? . I have spend the 5months in rehab center and now i''m fully recover still i'm gonna punch this camel in the eye soon as i see him and i'm gonna break his jaw ? skirt ? .. Think rehab center gonna stop me from hate you jay? ? that i'm still dreamin bout the day i'm gonna meet you ?

? jay i hope he dies ? biggest snake in industry
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

His buzz didn't die down after his 2nd album the song why is what blew him up more but taking a 5 year break from making an album didn't help either

Yeah I agree "Time's Up" Featuring Nate Dogg and "U Make Me Wanna" Featuring Mariah Carey were both bigger than anything on his first album too.
  • lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »
    Jada was MASSIVE back in late 90's early 00's, people are forgetting that Jay wasnt the mainstream billionaire friendly Hov that people know now, it was more the Rocafella movement that was massive...

Also Jada could ? a street track with whoever and then ? a 'love' song with Mariah Carey or Jaheim...

LPast wrote: »
    Similar reason to the 50 and Nas beef over a j.Lo song.

50 and Nas beef was based of Nas screaming on Mega's chick which 50 wasnt cool with...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efee9xon3fU&spfreload=10

Again, Jada was not massive. He had a healthy buzz but that was it and even during that time Jay was a superstar. The Roc movement would've been nothing without him. Jay was defeated with ether and was big enough to come out right after with Best of Both Worlds and Blueprint 2 soon after to collect more plaques keeping his credibility in Hip Hop in tact.

The D Block, Ruff Ryders movement was just as big, if not bigger than Rocafella movement
    , it just didn't last as long..

Wow...No need to argue with this guy just as long as everyone knows he is absolutely incorrect. Please tell me nggas know he is absolutely incorrect

Not really. DMX was bigger than Jay at one point especially at the start of DMX career. Jay didn't become an international superstar till Blueprint/BP 2 really around time he got with Beyonce.

As far movements.. Ruff Ryders was as big as Rocafella but did not as long. But they never overlapped. By the time Ruff Ryders momentum died down Rocafella picked up steam.

As for Dblock on the mixtape they were bigger not on mainstream level.

No. Just, no. This is just not chronologically correct

For one,all this is post Vol 2, post Hard Knock Life (back to this in a sec), post Big Pimpin

No. They were not Jay z peer. Jay z was the biggest star in rap after vol 2, PERIOD

Speaking of Hard Knock Life: um, question, how can a ngga be bigger than Jay when he's an UNDERCARD on that man's tour: THE HARD KNOCK LIFE TOUR

Ya know, the movie Backstage n all??

Questin, how was Jada as big as Jay when DMX himself was under Jay's tour!?!? Enough!

^ This man is absolutely correct.

1)I went to The Hard Knock Tour, how was dmx bigger, when Jay was the headliner? It makes no sense to be on a tour when the headliner is less popular than u.

2) Jay became a household name based on that single Hard Knock Life
    Mad people who weren't even Rap fans like that single Hard Knock Life

3)When dmx made that feat of 2 number one albums in one year, he was on the hard knock life tour ( once again they used this fact to help promote the tour ).....if dmx was bigger, why didn't he leave the tour, its been done b4....... Eg:i believe bob Marley left a tour when he became bigger than the headliner who was Sly & The family stone.

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »
    Jada was MASSIVE back in late 90's early 00's, people are forgetting that Jay wasnt the mainstream billionaire friendly Hov that people know now, it was more the Rocafella movement that was massive...

Also Jada could ? a street track with whoever and then ? a 'love' song with Mariah Carey or Jaheim...

LPast wrote: »
    Similar reason to the 50 and Nas beef over a j.Lo song.

50 and Nas beef was based of Nas screaming on Mega's chick which 50 wasnt cool with...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efee9xon3fU&spfreload=10

Again, Jada was not massive. He had a healthy buzz but that was it and even during that time Jay was a superstar. The Roc movement would've been nothing without him. Jay was defeated with ether and was big enough to come out right after with Best of Both Worlds and Blueprint 2 soon after to collect more plaques keeping his credibility in Hip Hop in tact.

The D Block, Ruff Ryders movement was just as big, if not bigger than Rocafella movement
    , it just didn't last as long..

Wow...No need to argue with this guy just as long as everyone knows he is absolutely incorrect. Please tell me nggas know he is absolutely incorrect

Not really. DMX was bigger than Jay at one point especially at the start of DMX career. Jay didn't become an international superstar till Blueprint/BP 2 really around time he got with Beyonce.

As far movements.. Ruff Ryders was as big as Rocafella but did not as long. But they never overlapped. By the time Ruff Ryders momentum died down Rocafella picked up steam.

As for Dblock on the mixtape they were bigger not on mainstream level.

No. Just, no. This is just not chronologically correct

For one,all this is post Vol 2, post Hard Knock Life (back to this in a sec), post Big Pimpin

No. They were not Jay z peer. Jay z was the biggest star in rap after vol 2, PERIOD

Speaking of Hard Knock Life: um, question, how can a ngga be bigger than Jay when he's an UNDERCARD on that man's tour: THE HARD KNOCK LIFE TOUR

Ya know, the movie Backstage n all??

Questin, how was Jada as big as Jay when DMX himself was under Jay's tour!?!? Enough!

Im not talking Jada at all. Dmx 1998-2001 was bigger than Jay-Z on the mainstream level, his sales and being in movies prove this.

The ruff ryders movement was as big as Rocefella it was just not as long. It also had a big tour with Cash Money and its acts were selling and had success (Eve, Dragon, The Lox, Vol. 1 Compilation).

By the time other acts from Rocafella popped off Ruff Ryders were pretty much done.

You answered your own question.. it was Jay-Z tour.

This where I ether that point.. Eminem the biggest rapper in 2000 was the opening act of the Up In Smoke Tour.

50 Cent was bigger than Jay-Z during Roc The Mic tour yet still shared headlining duties.

? Eminem went on literally before Dre and Snoop. Warren G and Ice Cube were the opening acts for that tour
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay-Z had a track on ROD Vol. 1 with no features but he's not bigger than these other dudes?
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    Jay-Z headlining a tour that DMX was on is more of a testament to Jay-Z the business man than Jay-Z the star, foh acting like that's the end all be all to the argument, DMX movies>>Jay Z headlining his own tour
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    It's dark and hell is hot, flesh of my flesh, and then there was X vs Vol 2, Vol 3 and Dynasty, from 98 to 2000 who was selling more records?