The Founder of Hip Hop DJ Kool Herc Names His Top 5 MCs

Options
MrCrookedLetter
MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
kool_herc_1.jpg

When the founding father of hip-hop speaks, the world listens. Earlier this week, THE COMBAT JACK SHOW welcomed Kool Herc to the studio for an extensive interview and towards the end, Jack asked Herc who his top five MCs in the game were. The answer was certainly surprising.

“Melle Mel, Krs-One,” the OG started. “Lil Wayne, he’s very witty. Kanye West, he’s witty; more technical than Weezy. I listen, man. And Breezy, Chris Brown, I dance.”

After being prompted by the hosts to explain his reasoning, Herc elaborated that, “I knew Wayne was going to be he who he is before he did…Every record he touched that he was on, they were hits!” Herc also stated that he loves Jill Scott and plays her records in the club before trailing off into his own career and desire to have a DJ residency in the future.

Herc FELL ILL IN 2011 but has recovered and been present on the scene. Last summer, Herc, Marley Marl and the Zulu Nation joined forces for a month-long event called the “31 Days of Non Stop Hip-Hop.” The event was sponsored by the Queens Library and gave teenagers the opportunity to meet some of the founding fathers of hip-hop. In 2013, Kool Herc was front and center at the 40TH ANNIVERSARY OF HIP-HOP CONCERT held as part of New York City’s SummerStage.

http://m.xxlmag.com/news/2015/04/kool-herc-names-top-5-mcs/

Comments

• Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Knew Melle Mel was gonna be on there. Chris Brown tho? Might as well said Michael Jackson.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Weezy Top 5 DOA

you-mad-o.gif
  • Dave2one6
    Dave2one6 Members Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is what we mean when we say that Canibus is BlackBalled.
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? on dust, Chris Brown?
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Half the dudes brain is stuck in the 80's. Other half is stuck in early 00's.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounds like hes just said the current MCs just to sound relevant...

'I knew Wayne was going to be he who he is before he did…Every record he touched that he was on, they were hits!' Really??? I didn't lol I remember in the 90s Wayne was cool, be he just literally became a random star overnight after being in the game for like 15years...

But still, props to Herc...
  • Karl.
    Options

'I knew Wayne was going to be he who he is before he did…Every record he touched that he was on, they were hits!' Really??? I didn't lol I remember in the 90s Wayne was cool, be he just literally became a random star overnight after being in the game for like 15years...

He didn't completely blow up until Carter 3. Which imo is a horrible album.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »

He didn't completely blow up until Carter 3. Which imo is a horrible album.

Yeah Im not sure when it was, I take your word for it though... But in the mid to late 90s I never saw Wayne becoming a massive commercial icon... He just suddenly caught that buzz...
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    O.G. wrote: »
    It's HIS list so I can't hate on it. I think it's an odd list but it's HIS. It is almost like he picked an MC from each decade.

Melle Mel (70's)

Krs-One (80's)

Lil Wayne (90's)

Kanye West (00's)

Chris Brown (dementia)

Weezy lyrically witty in the 90's?
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This list is for old ? who be ? they daughter's friends and ? .
  • Cunt_Lyfe
    Cunt_Lyfe Members, Writer Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wack list.

Respectfully.
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's HIS list so I can't hate on it. I think it's an odd list but it's HIS. It is almost like he picked an MC from each decade.

Melle Mel (70's)

Krs-One (80's)

Lil Wayne (90's)

Kanye West (00's)

Chris Brown (dementia)

While he was birthed in the 90s his lyrical ascension took place right around the time as Kanye's debut (04: The College Dropout; Tha Carter).
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Old people are funny, let's just laugh this off.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Melle Mel (70's)

Krs-One (80's)

Lil Wayne (90's)

Kanye West (00's)

Chris Brown (dementia)

Herc said that "he knew Wayne would be who he is before he did". I am assuming he started listening to Wayne when he was in the 90's. As for the witty ? , that's Herc's opinion not mine.
  • Karl.
    Options
    Hip hops founder essentially said

Bhris >>>>> Biggie

tumblr_n2ymfkKjnP1qeuyigo3_500.gif

Where did "Bhris" come from?
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the interview was so much more... ? the history of the art. lets just take the least important part and run with it.
  • scrapper1
    scrapper1 Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    Hip hops founder essentially said

Bhris >>>>> Biggie

tumblr_n2ymfkKjnP1qeuyigo3_500.gif

Where did "Bhris" come from?

He's trying to show that he's a "blood"