Mortal Kombat X - 4/14/2015

Options

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »

? , everything in this post is either wrong, hilariously stupid, or both. Lol

Have a seat. You lost. Speechless ass. lol. Moving on...

Yoooooooooooooooooooo...this tourney been hype as ? ! Called it from the jump tho, SonicFox vs MIT in the finals. Still think SonicFox will take it.

My ? , that ? wasn't worth responding to.

You actually compared the number of people playing SF1 to the number of people playing MK1 as if they were contemporaries. I know you felt stupid even writing that, but you did it anyway.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm simply saying that SF4 2009 is not what is being played today. Period.

Are you really comparing MK9's updates...to SF4's? lmaooooooooooo. Reach for the stars bruh.

And SF being played longer than MK is kind of a myth because SF took forever to come out. You do realize there was 10 years between SF3 and SF4, right?

MK1 got way more play than SF1
    MK2 was played just as much as SF2
    MK3 was played just as much as SFA

I'll give you MK4 vs Third Strike, but everything inbetween that and MK9/SF4 is a wash...unless you want to discuss the SF EX games lol?

MK has the tech and popularity now, whereas SF popularity seems to be on the decline and never matched MKX's during its peak apparently. Same for Tekken. The hype for Tekken 7 is non-existent. Nobody is playing SFxT either. Damn...without those quarterly "updates", makes one wonder why :-? Both MK9 and Injustice definitely got more play than that game.

Anyway, we off topic. Some people just seem to have a really hard time admitting that SF and MK are on the same playing field now, with MK selling more. I don't know why. They are both great fighting games. Don't understand this need to defend SF's honor as some sort of undisputed fighting game champion of the universe that no other game could ever touch. Its not the 90's anymore lol.

• The Lonious Monk
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm pretty sure MK has always had more people playing it than SF. It's been a more casual friendly game and NRS puts more fanservice in their games and is better at that than Capcom. So if you're arguing that at their peaks each MK game was played by more people than the corresponding SF game at it's peak, I'd say that's something that can't be argued.

The difference is that a higher number of the people who play SF games will probably be playing them at least a year or two later. Whereas, a large number of MK players disappear after the fatalities have gotten boring and the single player modes have all been completed, and that's usually within a couple months.

I'm not really sure where you're getting your info about hype for games either. I mean you'd be right for Tekken 7, but that's largely because the Tekken fanbase isn't particularly happy with anything they are doing with that game so no one cares about it. SFxT was crazy hyped when it came out, but it fell flat because of the DLC fiasco and horrible netcode when it was first released. SFV has plenty hype behind it though. It's just not a sustained thing because information is slow in being released on account of it being so early. At least wait until Evo or E3 or something where we can expect to get more info.

Edit:

After looking it up, the sales worldwide for vanilla SFIV were:

4.07 million on PS3
    2.86 million on X360

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Street+Fighter+iV

worldwide sales for MK9 were:

2.68 million on PS3
    1.99 million on X360

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Mortal+Kombat

See what I get for assuming there is ever any truth to the ? you spew. SMH
  • focus
    Options
    MKX got hoes shook af lol
  • focus
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ? crying cause focus won't play with them and talk about it on they flop forum lol. :((
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

I don't know. That seems to be a self serving statement from Boon, but honestly I don't know where to get truly accurate stats. For all I know those VGchartz number could be off too.
  • Parallel
    Parallel Members, Writer Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The buzz for this MK is huge but I think people are forgetting how big the buzz was for SF4 when it came out.

Let's also not forget how many ? /mediocre games MK put out too.
  • focus
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Parallel wrote: »
    The buzz for this MK is huge but I think people are forgetting how big the buzz was for SF4 when it came out.

I dunno. This whole thing started because IGN said MKX's buzz is way bigger than SF4's was. Then ? just got trapped in they emotions over it lol. *shrugs* I guess its just funny to me. Its really not that big a deal that MK is simply more popular than SF, but for some its causing like emotional distress apparently lol.

Nah, guess we agree to disagree on that. I choose to live in this decade, not 10 years ago still stuck on old irrelevant ? . That's honestly just life in general for me. Just like I left working for free in my intern days lol.
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sf4 buzz got me back into playing video games and was one of my first PS3 game
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The fact that street fighter get more entrants in tournament than mk should let you know which game is more popular. Sf been closing out evo for how many years now?

But it was only the third most watched grand finals last year...behind Marvel and Smash Bros.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/jul/20/which-grand-finals-was-most-watched-evo-2014-ranking-viewership-game/

So basically viewership drops off when Street Fighter hits the stage, not increases. For the record, MK9 wasn't at Evo last year, but if it had a "Ultimate Mortal Kombat 9" version released i'm sure it would have been too. B-)

Street Fighter keeps the main stage out of respect for its legacy, which is fine.

About 2,000 people signed up for USF4 at Evo 2014.

Well, MK9 outsold vanilla SF4 by about 800,000.

I'm sure Warner Bros would rather have those sales over the "main stage" at a niche fighting game tournament. We all know Capcom would ? for them. Evo is not the League of Legends World Championships, pulling in over 30 million viewers or some ? lol. Nah, Evo is good for about 150,000 viewers.

Also, Evo is not the end all, be all for fighting games. Most people who play fighting games don't participate in Evo...and imma need yall to stop acting like yall do or something.

Evo like the superbowl/wrestlemania of fighting games
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Personally I can admit (as much as I hate to) that the SF franchise is more universally accepted more so than the MK franchise by the gaming community. Tbh, I prefer MK >>> SF and always will. I can see how the average gamer can get tired of Mortal Kombat after completing story mode, doing all the fatalities, & obtaining all the unlockables because once all of that is done there's really no incentive to keep playing the game after all the hype wears down.

Although with Street Fighter, I can sort of understand why gamers would prefer it over Mortal Kombat as Cashcom (Capcom) constantly distributes at least 3-4 different versions of said SF game with new modes & a new amount of characters for each version of the game. Which I think is a complete rip off unless said gamer waited for the updated SF version or if a gamer is new to the series. My issue is that even though that Capcom have been on SFIV for the last 5-6 years why is it that Capcom just not gearing up for SFV?

I think both games has separate issues for different reasons. Mortal Kombat has remained relevant over the years due to changing game play & adding new characters in every game. Street Fighter games have banked off the same characters for 20+ years & little change in game play until SFIV dropped. The issue with MK is that with fatalities is that the concept is redundant but still a BIG selling point. Also, MK is not really a game that is marketable or geared towards young kids either. Street Fighter games solely have had that advantage for years over MK. I believe the MK series at one point could/would have been accepted as SF but Midway messed that up by dropping 3 different versions of MK (2 versions of MK3 & MK Trilogy) all in the same year and then dropping a lackluster MK 4 game the following year. It was just too much at 1 time to keep up with at least Capcom spreads out it's updated SF games over a few years. I think MK games would remain relevant a year after release if they would continue to release/update the games with DLC up to a year after release.
  • focus
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sion wrote: »

SMMFH, Focus is the biggest idiot on the IC, you don't play fighting games and your post is apparent of that, nor are you a part of the gaming culture of any kind. You play PC games and have an Xbox - that's your claim to fame, you don't frequent the FGC threads nor do you even compete in ANY tournaments or threads on here. You just ? and stan.

- SF2 broke records and set the trend and the blueprint for every fighting game to come after quarter forward + fierce is a staple in every fighting game (MK included).

Oh, just real quick just to correct this false info for anyone else out there unfamiliar with MK like this person. Mortal Kombat does not use "quarter forwards" and never has. MK has always used up, down, forward, back inputs. Basically 4 way, not 8 way. Just wanted to clarify that in case anyone picked up the game for the first time and was confused as to why quarter circles weren't working for them based on the clearly upset ramblings of a poster who had no idea what they were talking about.

Although, Injustice did allow for "alternate controls" to make it play more like Street Fighter with quarter circles, half circles, etc. Not sure if that will be the case for MKX. Here's a reference for anyone else like the poster above who doesn't understand the difference...

Standard controls:

24_injusticealtcontrols02.jpg

Alternate controls:

24_injusticealtcontrols01.jpg
  • focus
    Options
    Ok, confirmed. MKX will allow for "alternate controls" to allow quarter circle inputs...a series first. Default controls will still play like traditional MK always has tho.

Interesting. Injustice uses back to block like SF, so the alternative controls option made more sense for that game. MKX tho is bringing back the block button. I wonder how that will work with alternate controls? Oh well, can't wait till Tuesday.

http://shoryuken.com/2015/03/24/rest-easy-street-fighters-mortal-kombat-x-to-allow-alternate-input-methods/
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Those matches were pretty dope.

MK ain't even comparable to SF anymore. It's more like MvC without the tag mechanic. SF has never been that hype a game to watch to me and the playstyle of MK is more over the top like MvC whereas SF is one of the more reserved FGs.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Ok, confirmed. MKX will allow for "alternate controls" to allow quarter circle inputs...a series first. Default controls will still play like traditional MK always has tho.

Interesting. Injustice uses back to block like SF, so the alternative controls option made more sense for that game. MKX tho is bringing back the block button. I wonder how that will work with alternate controls? Oh well, can't wait till Tuesday.

http://shoryuken.com/2015/03/24/rest-easy-street-fighters-mortal-kombat-x-to-allow-alternate-input-methods/

Why would the block button make a difference in the alternate controls?
  • focus
    Options

Well, imagine SF suddenly having a dedicated block button...

But I dunno, again, was just wondering.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Well, imagine SF suddenly having a dedicated block button...

But I dunno, again, was just wondering.

Yeah, that would change the dynamics of gameplay, but it shouldn't affect those move inputs. Unless there is something I'm missing.
  • focus
    Options
    Try not to worry about it.
  • focus
    Options
    PS4 owners really are ? about that region lock. Even with the larger install base, way more people will be able to play together on XBO, especially now with so many PS4 owners canceling their preorders as a result.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Any PS4 owners on here ? about that or cancelling their preorder over it?

Yeah, I didn't think so.
  • focus
    Options
    Any PS4 owners on here ? about that or cancelling their preorder over it?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

lol @ The Arcade.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You said PS4 owners. We got a fair number of them here. If it was really some omnipresent outrage like you're implying, at least a couple on here should be angry about it right?

Hell, I frequent the Gamefaqs boards, and they ? about absolutely everything over there, yet there isn't even a topic about this issue on the first couple pages, so I'm going to go on a limb and say you're exaggerating.

On a more important note, there is a buzz out there that the netcode is garbage. I hope that's not true. I do about 95% of FG play online, so if it's not good on this game, that would greatly decrease its value to me. I heard it was bad in MK9 too, can anybody confirm or deny that?
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PS4 owners really are ? about that region lock. Even with the larger install base, way more people will be able to play together on XBO, especially now with so many PS4 owners canceling their preorders as a result.

You sure about that? I'm a PS4 owner and my copy just shipped this morning and I'm not in the least bit upset. Speak for yourself.