Guy Spends $37,000 On A Computer Science Degree, Couldn't Get A Job At Best Buy

Options

Comments

• onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He should try to intern or do volunteer to get experience then go back on the job market with a stronger resume

I'm sure that's worked for some people and for others it was probably to their detriment. I've always heard people saying not to ever do anything for free when bringing up internships in the IT field because it devalues your skill set. Now taking less than market rate to gain some valuable experience? That's worked out pretty well for me personally. Similar concept but future employers will take your experience more seriously.
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »
    The only job that Adorno said Everest could get him was working in a call center administered by Xerox. The role was a customer-service position that didn't require a college degree.

He did not accept that job.

I missed this part trying to skim through that long ass article. Dumb move. Almost everybody starts off from the bottom in IT. You take what you can get and make the most of it until you can get something better. I started off at a ? Dell call center and at the time I was just excited to finally be working in IT. Within 6 months I was ready to move on but I actually took a pay cut from $13/hr to 12.50/hr. It was a calculated move because I knew working with linux and being able to put it on my resume would open up a lot of doors for me in the future and it was worth it.
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nawledge_? wrote: »
    It Probably Wouldn't Hurt If Didn't Look Like A Extra On Carlito's Way

Mayne I swear nikka look like Marc Anthony from "The Substitute" lol
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is scary ? .....
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Everest/thread
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lifes a ? , then you die.
  • Thereal_ba
    Thereal_ba Members Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meanwhile, im touching 40k in entry level help desk.
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IT has been great to me.

Pre and post degrees and certifications.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only thing that makes me even watch Everest commercials all the way through are those cute, single mom latinas that be featured on there. ? be making me think about being a good male influence to little Joseph and ? when I really just want to fall in his mom.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Going to any "for-profit" school is a sham. It's sad so many people think they are the answer, I blame advertising and marketing.

That said, college doesn't guarantee success anyway but going to certain institutions make things much worse.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Glad I didn't go to college.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? better get his certs up
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Adorno attended the for-profit Everest College, part of Corinthian Colleges Inc., in Colorado Springs, Colorado, from 2010 to 2012, and he received an associate degree in network administration. There is debate whether a degree in network administration can be considered computer science, though it is an element of the broader computer science major.

Props to him for furthering his education, but that aint no CS degree.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    R0mp wrote: »
    Adorno attended the for-profit Everest College, part of Corinthian Colleges Inc., in Colorado Springs, Colorado, from 2010 to 2012, and he received an associate degree in network administration. There is debate whether a degree in network administration can be considered computer science, though it is an element of the broader computer science major.

It is a Applied Science degree though. There is enough computer theory there. Networking deals with programming\scripting, security, hardware and software, WAN, LAN and Wireless tech, and Computer Math (Binary, Hex, Logic). It depends on what you choose to focus on. Networks are the backbone of our society. He can go further and become and network engineer and design the network infrastructure of course.
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    R0mp wrote: »

It is a Applied Science degree though. There is enough computer theory there. Networking deals with programming\scripting, security, hardware and software, WAN, LAN and Wireless tech, and Computer Math (Binary, Hex, Logic). It depends on what you choose to focus on. Networks are the backbone of our society. He can go further and become and network engineer and design the network infrastructure of course.

You took an anvil and knocked my ass right off the high horse I swooped in on.

• Hugo Stiglitz
    Hugo Stiglitz Members Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Options
    He's from Georgia, and spent 37k to earn an associates degree from a non regionally accredited school? I won't even go into detail how EASY it is to kick start your college journey with the Hope Grant/Scholarship the state offers (that's the path I took). They are literally giving money away to go to school in state. One word for that fool.....Google
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These degrees aren't holding the same weight as actual skills and experience. Folks need to put in work. Not wait until you're 28 and buy a degree.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why do people continually go to those hustle schools?

Whatever school you think about going to, you are to research them! When you read "credits are non transferable", that is a warning sign!!

You brought that on yourself dude. You got to be smarter next time.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thereal_ba wrote: »
    Meanwhile, im touching 40k in entry level help desk.

good for you...

meanwhile im touching almost double that a month.

always count your blessings...someone is always doing better and you could be doing alot worse.
  • MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If your degree doesn't say computer science you don't have a computer science degree..
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dude would've been better off getting started at a community college.

Sad thing is, these for-profit colleges must be doing a good job of promoting themselves since so many people seem to flock to them.
  • L.O.S.T.
    L.O.S.T. Members Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It probably has more to do with him having horrible interview skills. Maybe he should talk a class on that
  • I_fap_twohanded
    I_fap_twohanded Members Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn I alreadys saw them Everest commercials on TV and thought about going there to be a DR