Freddie Gray's Death Ruled A Homicide

Options

Comments

• Carthaginian
    Carthaginian Members Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It would be ludicrous to endorse a 'race' war when we are in the extreme minority and yet so many of us within our community are divided. The approach from here on out requires some circumspection.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just read the article myself
  • all original
    all original Members Posts: 580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Got this from a friend..."People always say "Why tear up your own communities?" When you drive thru most inner city neighborhoods--how much ownership do you actually see? You see businesses that are mostly exploitative (bad loan companies, 24 hr check cashers, etc) or there to numb or pacify (like liquor stores) and many are owned by people that don't live in that community or have a vested interest in that community. That's not "your own" stuff. Community begins with a sense of ownership. Most black communities have little-to-none."
  • playmaker88
    edited April 2015
    Options
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everyone turns into an arm chair warrior when events such as this happen.

The news media would like to make "you" think a CVS getting burned down, stores getting looted, and people participating in mischief is worse than a innocent man losing his life at the hands of the same law enforcement that is supposed to protect and serve him.

The riots of Baltimore have already caused people in America to lose focus of what the true root of the issue is and that is that another Black man was killed under suspicious circumstances and the policemen responsible are unable to account for their actions.

I understand the anger and frustration by some of the residents in Baltimore, but burning down, looting, and vandalizing the community that they will have to come back to and live in is not the answer in my opinion.

I'm by no means promoting docility either, but if you want to shift the power structure tearing up your home isn't the way.

Things such as boycotting, getting educated and bringing businesses to your own community, voting people in office who share your core beliefs is a step in the right direction and are things that would shift the balance of the power structure.

That wouldn't completely solve this problem with the disconnect between law enforcement and the people, but it would be interruption to the balance of power and give individuals more power over their communities which would be a step in the right direction.

There are some that believe that loosely organized militias and creating mischief and more bloodshed is the answer but I do not subscribe to that philosophy if one wants to interrupt the balance of power interrupt the balance of money not to mention educating and putting the proper officials in a position to hear your voice.
  • playmaker88
    Options
    Crude_ wrote: »

The news media would like to make "you" think a CVS getting burned down, stores getting looted, and people participating in mischief is worse than a innocent man losing his life at the hands of the same law enforcement that is supposed to protect and serve him.

The riots of Baltimore have already caused people in America to lose focus of what the true root of the issue is and that is that another Black man was killed under suspicious circumstances and the policemen responsible are unable to account for their actions.

I understand the anger and frustration by some of the residents in Baltimore, but burning down, looting, and vandalizing the community that they will have to come back to and live in is not the answer in my opinion.

I'm by no means promoting docility either, but if you want to shift the power structure tearing up your home isn't the way.

Things such as boycotting, getting educated and bringing businesses to your own community, voting people in office who share your core beliefs is a step in the right direction and are things that would shift the balance of the power structure.

That wouldn't completely solve this problem with the disconnect between law enforcement and the people, but it would be interruption to the balance of power and give individuals more power over their communities which would be a step in the right direction.

There are some that believe that loosely organized militias and creating mischief and more bloodshed is the answer but I do not subscribe to that philosophy if one wants to interrupt the balance of power interrupt the balance of money not to mention educating and putting the proper officials in a position to hear your voice.

• Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    ? _Yunn wrote: »
    They got a hit list on CVS or something? Just looked out the bedroom window and there are quite a few cop cars with sirens flashing, posted up by CVS. Helicopters flying over and ? .

EDIT: They setting fires over here now smh.

this what i dont understand about rioting. tomorrow somebody's grandmother is going to need her medication. what are these fools gonna do when there is no local pharmacy. #Counterproductive

So what should they do?

And are you saying this CVS is in the blCVS. community? If so,is it the only fuccin drug store in Baltimore urban area? Better question was it on film that blaccs that live in that neighborhood burned it down?

The rioting and looting is all they can do because blaccs aren't unified and the only time we are is when things like this happen but we aren't ever really prepared for it...but this isn't the 1700s...? like this shouldn't be happening. We shouldn't have to raise our kids to be young militias and learn to be organized to destruct ? properly. We should be able to walk our streets without feeling like we are being targeted. We should be able to venture from our tore down hoods to downtown area without feeling we don't belong. None of this ? is normal or right. How blaccs are looked at how we are targeted,how we are treated is a monstrosity. It is absurd.

We aren't equal with Whites and we aren't treated equal. Just 50 odd years ago we started to get equal eeducation that whites get. ? that's barely two generations of equality. Parents today were raised by they parents who went through hell when they grew up,they seen it or was raised learning about it. Yet people ssurprised that blaccs don't trust cops or that we aren't equal to other races when for hundreds of years we were denied the right and chance to be equal. What the fucc you think that does to a cultures mindset?..fuccs them up...so fucc that CVS, bet the GM was white.

I dont disagree but what are poor ppl who might not have a car do when they need meds asap. Poor health and poverty go hand in hand. So next month or next year when all the cameras are gone what are you gonna do when when your mom needs her pills assp and you have to go across town instead of going across the street. ? gonna hurt then.

I understand the core issue but i dont see how that issue is solved by burning down your own neighborhood.

A muslim school and black senior housing is one thing.

But a ? CVS? Mannn, please don't try to front like a damn CVS is that tragic a loss for the world lol......"THAT CVS WAS A PILLAR OF THE COMMUNITY"......? please.

CVS Health Corp (NYSE: CVS - $101.22)

What do you gain by burning down YOUR OWN neighborhood??? If they were really on that geronimo pratt ? and really going to war with the pigs i'd be down with it. If they were on that nat turner john brown ? i would understand. But to torch YOUR OWN NEIGHBORHOOD MAKES NO ? SENSE!!!!!

If u really bought that action burn down a police station not an old folks home. If u really bout it go out to the suburbs and burn their ? down. But i dont see how burning ur community where YOU live is beneficial. Miss me w/the ? b/c when the cameras leave and ppl forget the name freddie gray west b'more will still be ? up and the community will be even worse than b4. ? b'more still hasnt recovered from the 1968 riots. FOH w/that ignorant ass ?

you missed my point, i was saying the school and senior housing is way worse than a damn CVS. CVS can take that hit and will have another CVS up in a couple months. That church prolly spent a decade raising money for that senior home tho. Hence, its absurd to me that the CVS seems to be getting all the attention. Like I said, the pastor in charge of the senior housing was protesting when he learned what happened.... CVS don't give a ? about the struggle.

Man ? cvs. Its bigger than them. I wouldnt care if they burned cvs, kfc, 7-11 or whatever. I dont see the logic of burning down ur own ? community!!!!!!

Because these weren't ? guerrilla warriors...they were high school kids who hadn't been to rebellion school who were probably used to being harassed by the police and finally found an opportunity to voice that
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/nonviolence-as-compliance/391640/?utm_source=SFFB
    When nonviolence is preached as an attempt to evade the repercussions of political brutality, it betrays itself. When nonviolence begins halfway through the war with the aggressor calling time out, it exposes itself as a ruse. When nonviolence is preached by the representatives of the state, while the state doles out heaps of violence to its citizens, it reveals itself to be a con. And none of this can mean that rioting or violence is "correct" or "wise," any more than a forest fire can be "correct" or "wise." Wisdom isn't the point tonight. Disrespect is. In this case, disrespect for the hollow law and failed order that so regularly disrespects the rioters themselves.

great read...
    Over the past four years, more than 100 people have won court judgments or settlements related to allegations of brutality and civil rights violations. Victims include a 15-year-old boy riding a dirt bike, a 26-year-old pregnant accountant who had witnessed a beating, a 50-year-old woman selling church raffle tickets, a 65-year-old church deacon rolling a cigarette and an 87-year-old grandmother aiding her wounded grandson ....

And in almost every case, prosecutors or judges dismissed the charges against the victims—if charges were filed at all. In an incident that drew headlines recently, charges against a South Baltimore man were dropped after a video showed an officer repeatedly punching him—a beating that led the police commissioner to say he was “shocked.”

people of bmore.. do what you gotta do
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

those things are no more likely to be effective. baltimore has a black mayor, and many blacks in powerful positions and guess what?
  • playmaker88
    Options
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Got dam was Shep Smith of Fox News in fact a real ? all this time??? I need a moment to reevaluate my understanding of the world
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That was surprisingly objective.
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

this the dude that was spitting that trap last night, no filter
  • Crude_
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »

those things are no more likely to be effective. baltimore has a black mayor, and many blacks in powerful positions and guess what?

That might be true, but what we doing isn't the answer either.

It's getting attention true enough, but it's almost to the point to where the media is using the riots to overshadow the root of what's causing them.

I still stand by what I said.

To many of us make it and move right on out of the Black communities and don't try mentor or try to bring businesses back into our communities.

Soon as a lot of Blacks make it they want to move into the nice White neighborhood and many don't put anything back into their old neighborhood.

The problem is to complex to solve with by doing one thing but those things collectively such as putting back in your community and putting the right people in positions to hear your voice are a step in the right direction.
  • Crude_
    Options
    You are more than entitled to that opinion @Peeny_Wally just like I'm entitled to mine.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's getting attention true enough, but it's almost to the point to where the media is using the riots to overshadow the root of what's causing them.

To many of us make it and move right on out of the Black communities and don't try mentor or try to bring businesses back into our communities.

Soon as a lot of Blacks make it they want to move into the nice White neighborhood and many don't put anything back into their old neighborhood.

The problem is to complex to solve with by doing one thing but those things collectively such as putting back in your community and putting the right people in positions to hear your voice are a step in the right direction.

the thing is, having black owned businesses in black neighborhoods is not the problem. the problem is them killing us
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anyone ever notice how death, destruction and mayhem follow europeans everywhere they go? From Africa to America to Australia nothing good happens after white people show up
  • Crude_
    Options

the thing is, having black owned businesses in black neighborhoods is not the problem. the problem is them killing us

This problem runs deeper than what's just on the surface if we can control the economic structure, education, and opportunities then we can police our own neighborhoods.

Coupled that with if you have people united with "one" goal in mind within our community with political weight and influence within law enforcement and the courts then the racist police will not be as quick to start ? when they know they won't have the same judicial backing.

People forget that judges, city councils, and district attorneys are elected positions as well.