Seriously Do You Think Steady B Could Ever Make A Comeback?

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
Steady B robbed a bank 20 years ago. He was convicted and has been in prison ever since.

But he should be getting out soon.

If 50 Cent got all that hype for getting shot 9 times, which people considered proof that he really lived that life, could Steady B get the same amount of hype for being a marginally successful rapper (like 50 before he got shot) and robbing a bank?

Steady B came out in the mid 80s. He was never as popular as LL Cool J, KRS One, Rakim or Ice Cube, he was more of a b-list rapper but he had a couple of joints that knocked like;

Just Call Us Def
Fly Shante
Use Me
Believe Me Das Bad
Bring The Beat Back
Let The Hustlers Play
Serious (original and remix)
On the Real Tip
Cheating Girl

What do ya'll think? With a hit single, could he be the next 50 Cent?

Comments

• silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Hell nah, its a wrap for him bank job or nah. There are dudes who came out with songs like 2-3 years ago who done already fell off and never will be back on (popped a molly and i'm sweatin....).

Yeah but Steady B's circumstances are a lil different. He had 5 solo albums (the first 3 were solid) and a group album with C.E.B. That's a full career. Then he went to prison, it's been 19 years. There's a lot of people my age that remember him and Cool C.

I was listening to some Steady B songs earlier today which inspired me to make this thread. I was thinking; if he got out and Kanye West or Just Blaze (or DJ Mustard) produced a hit single, what would happen?
  • HerbalVaporCapers
    HerbalVaporCapers Members Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Hell nah, its a wrap for him bank job or nah. There are dudes who came out with songs like 2-3 years ago who done already fell off and never will be back on (popped a molly and i'm sweatin....).

Yeah but Steady B's circumstances are a lil different. He had 5 solo albums (the first 3 were solid) and a group album with C.E.B. That's a full career. Then he went to prison, it's been 19 years. There's a lot of people my age that remember him and Cool C.

I was listening to some Steady B songs earlier today which inspired me to make this thread. I was thinking; if he got out and Kanye West or Just Blaze (or DJ Mustard) produced a hit single, what would happen?

That's true that he was a developed artist rather than someone who just caught a hit. And he was a developed artist in an era (the golden age) when if your skills weren't up to par you couldn't even get in the cypher, much less drop some ? or do shows.

But my dude... the game done changed a lot. I bolded the stuff about people your age who remember him (I remember them too, so we're probably the same age) but I gotta ask... are you from Philly? What about the rest of the country? Dude's been locked up so ? damned long, he missed Clinton getting a ? , the internet, smart phones, snap dancing, 4x white tees and jean shorts down to your ankles, ? wearing leggings and furry boots... how is he going to relate to the folks that don't remember him, or werent even alive when he was poppin?
  • SOWETO
    SOWETO Members Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "just blaze" boy if you dont...
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A 45 year old man who has been in prison for 20 years?

Nope
  • 5 Grand
    edited May 2015
    Options

That's true that he was a developed artist rather than someone who just caught a hit. And he was a developed artist in an era (the golden age) when if your skills weren't up to par you couldn't even get in the cypher, much less drop some ? or do shows.

But my dude... the game done changed a lot. I bolded the stuff about people your age who remember him (I remember them too, so we're probably the same age) but I gotta ask... are you from Philly? What about the rest of the country? Dude's been locked up so ? damned long, he missed Clinton getting a ? , the internet, smart phones, snap dancing, 4x white tees and jean shorts down to your ankles, ? wearing leggings and furry boots... how is he going to relate to the folks that don't remember him, or werent even alive when he was poppin?

You make some good points, but lemme play devil's advocate. I don't know if you know or remember Santana but they were big in the late 60s/early 70s. They have an album called Abraxas that came out in 1970 that's a 5 mic classic. It's Latin soul. The big songs were Oye Coma Va and Black Magic Woman. So anyway, fast forward to 2000. In the year 2000 Carlos Santana won 9 Grammys for his album Supernatural including Record of the Year, Album of the year and Song of the Year.

Granted, he wasn't in prison all that time but my point is that every once in a while somebody who was hot 30 years ago makes a comeback.

I think Steady B has a story to tell and he could bring something new to the table, he could rap about living that life with the authenticity that very few rappers command, 50 Cent being one of them.

• HerbalVaporCapers
    Options

You make some good points, but lemme play devil's advocate. I don't know if you know or remember Santana but they were big in the late 60s/early 70s. They have an album called Abraxas that came out in 1970 that's a 5 mic classic. It's Latin soul. The big songs were Oye Coma Va and Black Magic Woman. So anyway, fast forward to 2000. In the year 2000 Carlos Santana won 9 Grammys for his album Supernatural including Record of the Year, Album of the year and Song of the Year.

Granted, he wasn't in prison all that time but my point is that every once in a while somebody who was hot 30 years ago makes a comeback.

I think Steady B has a story to tell and he could bring something new to the table, he could rap about living that life with the authenticity that very few rappers command, 50 Cent being one of them.

Its funny you said Santana. I'm from neighborhood where Carlos Santana grew up and people still play their ? to this day out there.

But its like that with Rock music. Hip Hop has really always been youth music, and if its tough for rappers who are the same age, who havent missed how much the world and the culture has changed, dudes who are still close to the ? and they still cant do it... its going to be straight up hill for him to come back out with something. He better start working that team now, if he's got one, to have some kind of buzz up when he gets out.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Its funny you said Santana. I'm from neighborhood where Carlos Santana grew up and people still play their ? to this day out there.

But its like that with Rock music. Hip Hop has really always been youth music, and if its tough for rappers who are the same age, who havent missed how much the world and the culture has changed, dudes who are still close to the ? and they still cant do it... its going to be straight up hill for him to come back out with something. He better start working that team now, if he's got one, to have some kind of buzz up when he gets out.

once upon a time rock was youth music too tho..

i think the problem is that as rappers age they just haven't been good at having a bridge with the next generation…rappers get old and tend to get bitter. Rock groups don't really do that, as far as I've seen. If Jay-Z can maintain relevance..and Nas can maintain relevance why can't these other artists?

It's not about age so much as it is perception. N.O.R.E shed light on it in his breakfast club interview…that ? and 2 chainz are the same age and kanye west is older than him but 2 chainz and kanye can just connect with the youth better right now.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Steady B robbed a bank 20 years ago. He was convicted and has been in prison ever since.

If 50 Cent got all that hype for getting shot 9 times, which people considered proof that he really lived that life, could Steady B get the same amount of hype for being a marginally successful rapper (like 50 before he got shot) and robbing a bank?

Steady B came out in the mid 80s. He was never as popular as LL Cool J, KRS One, Rakim or Ice Cube, he was more of a b-list rapper but he had a couple of joints that knocked like;

Just Call Us Def
    Fly Shante
    Use Me
    Believe Me Das Bad
    Bring The Beat Back
    Let The Hustlers Play
    On the Real Tip
    Cheating Girl

You talked to him and he told you that he was getting ready to commit that or something? He got Life without parole.
  • 5 Grand
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ear2DaSt wrote: »
    post a track

Alright, I'll go in chronological order. This song came out in 1985. This was when Rap was starting to develop its own identity and sonic individuality. In other words; picture me @ 12 or 13 years old bumping this and my mother telling me to turn the music down!

Just Call Us Def - Steady B
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kahssZM5Dj0

^^^The above song is one of Steady's earlier songs that didn't make the first album

Here's his smoothed out R&B track. It was on his first album and released as a single. If he played his cards right he could have made songs like this

Cheatin Girl - Steady B
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaRrQSYWDMU

This song was slept on but the beat pops up on mix tapes and freestyles. The cuts and scratches on this reflect what the DJs in Philly were doing in their golden era of DJing (86-88)

Use Me - Steady B
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDIHLLQQYKk

This was produced by KRS One. I always liked the original better.

Serious - Steady B
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1xACKLenZM

This came out in 1994

Let It Go - Steady B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qli4bkoRch0
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »

Just Call Us Def
    Fly Shante
    Use Me
    Believe Me Das Bad
    Bring The Beat Back
    Let The Hustlers Play
    On the Real Tip
    Cheating Girl

You talked to him and he told you that he was getting ready to commit that or something? He got Life without parole.

He'll get out. He cooperated with the police and he wasn't the gunman. He's been locked up for 19 years, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get released within the next 5 years.
  • Stiff
    Options

Just Call Us Def
    Fly Shante
    Use Me
    Believe Me Das Bad
    Bring The Beat Back
    Let The Hustlers Play
    On the Real Tip
    Cheating Girl

He'll get out. He cooperated with the police and he wasn't the gunman. He's been locked up for 19 years, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get released within the next 5 years.

wait..this ? old af(in hip hop years)…been in prison 20 years…AND he a snitch? Odds aren't good for him bro..wouldn't hold my breath.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • HerbalVaporCapers
    Options

Just Call Us Def
    Fly Shante
    Use Me
    Believe Me Das Bad
    Bring The Beat Back
    Let The Hustlers Play
    On the Real Tip
    Cheating Girl

? an age, this right here would ? any chance of a career
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe if he got KB on the song
  • bkkbully
    bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    is there any footage of him robbing that bank? cause yo, you could turn some of those images to .GIF memes, make it funny with the captions, let that ? circulate thru the internet then drop that hot single and BOOM he'd be back.

for instance

Steady B's comeback be like
    ku-xlarge.gif

or Steady B's comeback be like
    KtLOTKa.gif
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seriously tho, he's not going to have that 50 cent swagger like.. "I'm street" "I'm tough" "I lived the life and survived" etc..

This is a guy that just did 20 years, if he comes out on some "yo, I'm street, I just did 20 years like it was nothing.. what?! WHAT?!" he's just going to look stupid.

If he wants to make a comeback, it should be on some positive, humble, introspective ? ...

and in today's market, is there even a market for that type of rap anymore?
  • R2_163
    R2_163 Members Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you actually think he can make a comeback with that Hippie to the hippie, The hip, hip a hop type rapping?
    Are you serious my ? ?

plus he has to be 50 years old by now.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well it all depends on how he sounds now... Has kept his rhyme game polished??? Cats like Kool G Rap and BDK even Just Ice (last I checked in the Myspace days) sound dope and they are considered oldheads... BUT some cats like (I hate to say it) KRS and them sound outdated... So its all down to how he sounds and has adapted, if sounds dope, then yeah cats will check for his music...
  • 5 Grand
    Options

Just Call Us Def
    Fly Shante
    Use Me
    Believe Me Das Bad
    Bring The Beat Back
    Let The Hustlers Play
    On the Real Tip
    Cheating Girl

I don't think that the fact that he snitched would hurt. I think the major corporations and people in the criminal justice system along with middle America would respect him for "snitching" and once you get middle America on your side it doesn't matter what people in the hood think.

Just imagine that moment when he was in the getaway car waiting for Cool C to come out of the bank? He heard gunshots and then Cool C comes out. Over the next couple of days he has a moral dilemma; Does he turn himself in or does he go on the run?

I think he had a relationship with ? that told him to turn himself in whereas Cool C, to this day, doesn't admit to robbing the bank or killing the police officer.

I'm a middle aged man and a law abiding citizen. I actually appreciate Steady B and how he handled the situation. he served his time like a man and when he gets out I'd consider paying to see him, especially if he had a hot single.
  • Stiff
    Options

Just Call Us Def
    Fly Shante
    Use Me
    Believe Me Das Bad
    Bring The Beat Back
    Let The Hustlers Play
    On the Real Tip
    Cheating Girl

I don't think that the fact that he snitched would hurt. I think the major corporations and people in the criminal justice system along with middle America would respect him for "snitching" and once you get middle America on your side it doesn't matter what people in the hood think.

Just imagine that moment when he was in the getaway car waiting for Cool C to come out of the bank? He heard gunshots and then Cool C comes out. Over the next couple of days he has a moral dilemma; Does he turn himself in or does he go on the run?

I think he had a relationship with ? that told him to turn himself in whereas Cool C, to this day, doesn't admit to robbing the bank or killing the police officer.

I'm a middle aged man and a law abiding citizen. I actually appreciate Steady B and how he handled the situation. he served his time like a man and when he gets out I'd consider paying to see him, especially if he had a hot single.

WRONG. that only works for white rappers.