Artist Claims Jay-Z "Used" Her and Is "Cruel"

Options
_Goldie_
_Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
720x405-Screen-Shot-2015-05-19-at-5.06.11-PM.jpg

Performance artist Marina Abramović, whose 2010 installation The Artist Is Present inspired Jay Z's 2013 music video Picasso Baby: A Performance Art Film, revealed that she is now angry with the way the collaboration turned out. "I am very ? by this, since he adapted my work only under one condition: that he would help my institute," she recently told Spike magazine. "Which he didn't."

She went on to say that she and the rapper had a meeting where she gave him permission to use her work only if he helped her draw attention to her work. "Then he just completely used me," she said. "And that wasn’t fair."

As Fact magazine noted in 2013, the rapper had met with the artist and agreed to an unspecified donation to the Marina Abramović Institute. A rep for Abramović said at the time that Jay Z "intends to offer the institute some other form of ongoing support" in a "long-durational collaboration." A Roc Nation spokesperson at the time confirmed that the rapper would make a donation, but declined to offer any details. It's unclear whether Jay Z actually donated any funds or other support.

Abramović also told Spike that the situation with Jay Z was different from her relationship with Lady Gaga, who appeared naked in one of Abramović's films. "Just by having 45 million followers, she brought all these young kids into my public," the Serbian artist said.

Calling the situation a "one-way transaction," Abramović said she would never license her work like that again. "I was really naïve in this kind of world," she said. "It was really new to me, and I had no idea that this would happen. It's so cruel, it's incredible. I will stay away from it for sure."

Comments