A New Era Begins: The Official New Orleans Pelicans Thread

Options

Comments

• 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I guess that 'New Pelican Era' just died, huh?
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    saw Calipari is interested in the pelicans job...no thanks
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »
    saw Calipari is interested in the pelicans job...no thanks

Word? Why not? He would keep AD here alone lol
  • silverfoxx
    Options
    Damn he denied it lmao
  • AP21
    Options
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm really interested to see who we bring in and what we do in free agency
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From what I've seen Van Gundy, Mark Jackson, and Larry Brown are the best available options.

I think Brown might be content where he is now though.
  • silverfoxx
    Options
    Crude_ wrote: »
    From what I've seen Van Gundy, Mark Jackson, and Larry Brown are the best available options.

Hell nah @ Larry Brown and SUPER hell no at Mark Jackson. I think folks are too consent on choosing "sexy" names and not the right choice and coaching style for our team. We trying to build a dynasty, only guy I would choose out that bunch is JVG . He is an exceptional defensive mind, have great connections and great success.

My rankings who we should get is:

Hoiberg
    JVG
    Atkinson

That's it. No others. Not Gentry old ass, not Marc Jackson no coaching ass, no Thibs stubborn ass, that's the top three choices we should choose. The end. ? ESPN and media for only mentioning names that's known, I want the best coaching philosophy and up tempo basketball
  • silverfoxx
    Options
    jee504 wrote: »
    I'm really interested to see who we bring in and what we do in free agency

If we get a coach with Offense then Greg Monroe is a guaranteed here. Also possibly Tobais Harris.
  • Crude_
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »

Hell nah @ Larry Brown and SUPER hell no at Mark Jackson. I think folks are too consent on choosing "sexy" names and not the right choice and coaching style for our team. We trying to build a dynasty, only guy I would choose out that bunch is JVG . He is an exceptional defensive mind, have great connections and great success.

Hoiberg
    JVG
    Atkinson

That's it. No others. Not Gentry old ass, not Marc Jackson no coaching ass, no Thibs stubborn ass, that's the top three choices we should choose. The end. ? ESPN and media for only mentioning names that's known, I want the best coaching philosophy and up tempo basketball

Hoiberg is a good college coach but an unproven commodity on the pro level can't believe you putting the teams future in a unproven commodity.

Being a good college coach and having a good system doesn't necessarily translate into being a great pro coach just ask Rick Pitno and several other great college coaches that didn't pan out professionally.

I remember when folks was saying Tim Floyd was a great coaching mind and he was coming up in the coaching ranks very similar to how Hoiberg is now.

I don't know enough about Kenny Atkinson other him assistant coaching some NBA teams and being a coach on some semi pro teams.

Larry Brown although old is a great defensive mind and he adapts his coaching to the personnel he has I watched him with Philadelphia and to a far lesser degree Detroit take teams with okay talent to the finals.

People forget that Warriors squad was Mark Jackson's before they got a new owner who didnt care for Jackson and brought Kerr in.

I'd get a proven guy over some rookie coach.
  • Crude_
    Options
    I agree with you about Gentry and Thibs though.
  • silverfoxx
    Options

Hoiberg
    JVG
    Atkinson

Hoiberg is a good college coach but an unproven commodity on the pro level can't believe you putting the teams future in a unproven commodity.

Being a good college coach and having a good system doesn't necessarily translate into being a great pro coach just ask Rick Pitno and several other great college coaches that didn't pan out professionally.

I remember when folks was saying Tim Floyd was a great coaching mind and he was coming up in the coaching ranks very similar to how Hoiberg is now.

I don't know enough about Kenny Atkinson other him assistant coaching some NBA teams and being a coach on some semi pro teams.

Larry Brown although old is a great defensive mind and he adapts his coaching to the personnel he has I watched him with Philadelphia and to a far lesser degree Detroit take teams with okay talent to the finals.

People forget that Warriors squad was Mark Jackson's before they got a new owner who didnt care for Jackson and brought Kerr in.

I'd get a proven guy over some rookie coach.

The unproven potential lottery is something I'm willing to take over proven mediocrity. To me its dynasty or bust. All chips in. If not Davis will leave in the future. We seen this ? many of times.
  • silverfoxx
    Options
    Hoiberg is literally the hottest coach in basketball right now. The media won't say it but smart basketball behind the scenes guys know. He is young, innovative, smart, great connections, and a players coach.
  • silverfoxx
    Options
    He WILL be the next great coach in NBA. I'll post articles later to back up my claims. Like i said. All chips in
  • jee504
    Options
    I just want a coach that'll get us over that ? and be more consistent. While they fought hard this past year at times, there were some games that left my head scratching whether it was play calling, rotations, effort.
    I just want to see what our identity is gonna be and what players will be on the team next year. The core is gonna be here with AD, Tyreke, Jrue, Ryan.
    I expect Gordon (can't stand this ? ) to exercise his player option for his $14-$15 mil.
    I think Asik is gone though. We're gonna need a damn good bench to make it through the season to the playoffs. I also think Cole and Pondexter are coming back. I don't mind Cole. He became a solid player for us.
  • silverfoxx
    Options
    I just want a coach that'll get us over that ? and be more consistent. While they fought hard this past year at times, there were some games that left my head scratching whether it was play calling, rotations, effort.
    I just want to see what our identity is gonna be and what players will be on the team next year. The core is gonna be here with AD, Tyreke, Jrue, Ryan.
    I expect Gordon (can't stand this ? ) to exercise his player option for his $14-$15 mil.
    I think Asik is gone though. We're gonna need a damn good bench to make it through the season to the playoffs. I also think Cole and Pondexter are coming back. I don't mind Cole. He became a solid player for us.
    Asik stays if we hire a defensive mind. But I agree and I was one of the few that actually understood why Monty was fired. He pride himself on Defense, but our defense was terrible every year with him even WITH Asik and Davis. Dell Demps philosophy and hiring of players was more towards offense and uptempo, he and Monty clashed with playing style. That's why I think since Dell finally chooses his coach (he never chose Monty as a coach) it will be more of a Uptempo faster pace. Monty had us playing 90s basketball and we were one of the slowest team in the NBA. IMO that is holding AD back from reaching his true potential. Its a reason why our team is constructed as a 3 guard squad because we are BUILT to run and play fast.

Im honestly very excited to see our team true form and having a coach that actually know X and Os in game adjustments, substaining leads, match ups and running the offense through AD. Also AD is working on his handles and 3 pointers this off season. All of this SCREAMS we are bound to get a offense coach

And trust me, I have inside sources to the Pelicans, I can't speak up on it because I've been told to keep a close mouth since the media pick up things quick. (Calipriari situation) But trust me when I say that is working hard as hell and is very smart, and OUR TEAM HAS THE HOTTEST COACH OPEN IN BASKETBALL.
  • jee504
    Options
    Yeah I read a local article mentioning that Dell inherited Monty which is true. Kinda like how Loomis inherited Haslett and he got his coach with Payton. So I agree that Dell will get his guy and Loomis can kind of understand where Dell is coming from for selecting a coach to fit the player's style more
  • silverfoxx
    Options
    Yeah I read a local article mentioning that Dell inherited Monty which is true. Kinda like how Loomis inherited Haslett and he got his coach with Payton. So I agree that Dell will get his guy and Loomis can kind of understand where Dell is coming from for selecting a coach to fit the player's style more

Exactly. And by the way, don't trust anything u hear from ESPN and stupid ass Times Picyuine. They have a agenda. That is all. The truth will come out soon.....
  • silverfoxx
    Options
    Btw Gentry was the only guy mentioned in the media because HIS camp leaked that to the media. Lommis and Demps are very quiet and professional. They don't leak ? . If you hear anything, its media spinning, NOT the Pelicans organization. Trust me guys we will get a great coach. I have full trust in Demps.
  • jee504
    Options

Exactly. And by the way, don't trust anything u hear from ESPN and stupid ass Times Picyuine. They have a agenda. That is all. The truth will come out soon.....

Lol I can read between the lines. All of that is speculation. I heard of a few names outside of all of that though
  • ZydecoShawty
    ZydecoShawty Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Btw Gentry was the only guy mentioned in the media because HIS camp leaked that to the media. Lommis and Demps are very quiet and professional. They don't leak ? . If you hear anything, its media spinning, NOT the Pelicans organization. Trust me guys we will get a great coach. I have full trust in Demps.

I hope so cause Gentry being the only coach we interviewed so far has me terrified.
  • silverfoxx
    Options

I hope so cause Gentry being the only coach we interviewed so far has me terrified.

We interviewed A TON of coaches. The media only mentions what they want. Just know that we really have the best job open in basketball. People value AD THAT highly.
  • AP21
    Options
  • ZydecoShawty
    ZydecoShawty Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can't go wrong with either Van Gundy or Thibs if Thibs still wants to coach next season. The thought of Alvin Gentry just being in the conversation of candidates still terrifies me though. I don't give a damn what he did for the Clippers and Warriors the last 2 seasons, his record as a head coach is abysmal.
  • jee504
    Options
    I'm not happy with Gentry being hired at all