Why are New York artists never labeled as "local"?

Options
L.O.S.T.
L.O.S.T. Members Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
Think about it. If a new artist comes out that has a small buzz people start screaming the next big thing or Bringing New York back. And then they fade into oblivion never to be heard from again.

Artists from other states can buzz in their home town and that's it, they have a buzz in their area. They are local

Comments

• DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    If its popular in New York people still think that equals generally everywhere else due to New Yorks size, past reputation, past trendiness, past relevance, and past influence, and ultimately how its sown into the fabric of the origin/birth of American hip hop.

Kinda like how we still think NY is the mecca of basketball and everything great that ever happened in life. Its like the Jerusalem of USA culture..or I just completely ? ..you decide.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's because of all the hip hop media that's based in NY that has a heavy internet presence (Complex, Breakfast Club, VladTV, Thisis50, Rapradar, the hot97 morningshow that they put on the internet etc)

So anything that gets a tiny bit of buzz in ny is going to seem bigger than it is because it's going to be right in the face of that media and then they're going to give it coverage and make it seem like it's national.
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I view it differently. I think NY is probably the only city where you don't get props for being local. There's no NY Mac Dre.
  • BrazilianHairMoney
    BrazilianHairMoney Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    true.. but they find out reality when they go outside ny.. the worlds population is greater than ny... then they find out they not known cross the world.... or they find out they dont know everything..

• hiphop12345
    Options
    true.. but they find out reality when they go outside ny.. the worlds population is greater than ny... then they find out they not known cross the world.... or they find out they dont know everything..

Same thing for Americans.
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well the largest city in the world.....it's kind of hard to be "local" when that many people know about them.
  • hiphop12345
    Options
    Well the largest city in the world.....it's kind of hard to be "local" when that many people know about them.

U.S not world anymore.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    plenty of locals from NY

This is nothing new

the Internet can make alot of mcs look biigger and more influential then they actually are

You gotta be able to tell the difference

some artist considered major are unknown outside of the internet and those that closely follow the art.

You go to the average house hold they may have heard of a rapper but never heard his music

but on the IC they could be hyping him up like the next Tupac or Biggie

like they status way up there
  • GunTown
    GunTown Members Posts: 3,489
    Options
    Good thread

Jay Z before he started dating Beyonce wasn't popular in Europe at all but when he started dating her in 2003 he got popular in Europe and his career benefited

• Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    There is no such thing as local in NYC. The neighborhoods are too segregated from block to block and no one artist is celebrated in the hood unless he blow. If the artist is known in NYC, it's a guarantee that the artist is known outside of NYC. Most of our artist these days don't even ? with a NY sound and the ones that do are underground internet rappers rather than local hype.
  • Ear2DaSt
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Just cuz your music reaches certain regions doesn't mean it well have staying power in those regions

Look at Troy Ave they push him in commercials
    and is made to look huge allready

but the people that knew his music and him enuff to buy his albums was only 4,500
    30 phsical copes

only 30 people made the effort to get a physical copy

those are local numbers out the trunk (not even)

there are alot of well known artist from NY that don't get the radio spins or mainstream media

that's local there are some that sell 100,000 of copies

but still not a house hold name

They IC claims up and down Troy Ave wen't platinum ....

YouknowwhatImtalknbout ...

• Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GunTown wrote: »
    Good thread

Jay Z before he started dating Beyonce wasn't popular in Europe at all but when he started dating her in 2003 he got popular in Europe and his career benefited

Lies, lies, lies, aaaand lies.

foh
  • GunTown
    Options
    Weazel wrote: »
    Good thread

Lies, lies, lies, aaaand lies.

foh

It's a fact

I'm from Europe u are not

So behave
  • Ear2DaSt
    edited June 2015
    Options
    may have been what helped J-z career have longevity and relevance

Im not a fan of any belief system that aint bible scripture based so im not gonna say much on this.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alot of them ? are local though.
  • ChillaDaGawd
    ChillaDaGawd Members Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    New York is where hip hop started. Newer acts have more outlets to debut and shine than someone in Detroit or Texas.
  • GunTown
    Options
    Ear2DaSt wrote: »
    may have been what helped J-z career have longevity and relevance

Owes his popularity to her
  • L.O.S.T.
    Options
    Good thread

That's absurd. Jay was selling millions of records before he married Beyoncé. When I say local I mean in his state not outside the country. And even then what you said doesn't make sense
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jay was releasing gold albums in the UK before beyonce came into the picture

I thought this thread was about local artists. jay sold millions. why is he being discussed?
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I thought this thread was about local artists. jay sold millions. why is he being discussed?

Because guntown thinks jay z isn't melodic or an artist
  • GunTown
    Options

Jay Z just being an MC that rhymes bars has nothing to do with the thread

I'm from Europe lived here all my life so i know he wasn't popular like that in Europe before Beyonce those claiming this not true haven't even been to Europe most likley
  • L.O.S.T.
    Options

Jay Z just being an MC that rhymes bars has nothing to do with the thread

I'm from Europe lived here all my life so i know he wasn't popular like that in Europe before Beyonce those claiming this not true haven't even been to Europe most likley

Are you basing that on actual album sales or your opinion? Album sales tell a different story.
  • bkzlostchild
    bkzlostchild Members Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm happy no oneforce feeding that " I'm bringing New York back!" ? now.

We never left.