Is Big L the most talented rapper ever?

Options

Comments

• Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MontyM.Max wrote: »
    Nah. BIG is the most talented rapper of all time. ? made rapping seem easier than anyone I've ever heard.

As far as rhyming L is definitely nicer than BIG

Pun nicer than both of them tho
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He is talent byt not as nas and prodigy
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Big L pound for pound is one of the most talented ever. Ebonics and his freestyle against Jay-Z (best freestyle I've ever heard) among other songs prove that.

On a talent basis, he could be top 5. But I wouldn't put him as the MOST talented ever.
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Antwuan89 wrote: »
    To be honest Big L is one the best I've ever heard. He's one of the best to ever spit on the mic, he definitely had a lot of talent.

Nice avy man. If Biggie was still alive, I'd say he had potential to be the most talented MC ever.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sigel sigel ya heard>>>>>
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    L was talented no doubt, but his life & career was cut way too short to judge him against a Jay-Z or Nas or others around that era that have a lengthy catalog. Had he not died this would be a better argument.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dude dropped a mediocre album for his debut and got killed then all of a sudden his legacy gets inflated. lol

Dudes like OC have better albums than Big L and are nicer imo, but because they ain't dead they don't get credit.
  • GunTown
    GunTown Members Posts: 3,489
    Options
    1 of the most talented pure rappers/MC's/technical lyricists ever

Along with

Jay Z
    Big Pun
    Nas
    Canibus
    Andre 3000
    Black Thought
    Big Boi
    Rass Kass
    Notorious B.I.G
    Kurupt
    Rakim
    Big Daddy Kane
    Kool G Rap
    Inspectah Deck
    Ghostface
    Method Man
    Fabolous
    Cassidy
    KRS-One
    Crooked I
    Royce
    Lord Jamar
    Busta Rhymes
    Joel Ortiz
    Joe Budden
    Cory Gunz
    J Cole
    MC Shan
    AZ
    R.A. The Rugged Man
    Common
    Lupe Fiasco
    Talib Kweli
    Mos Def
    J.R. Writer
    Cormega
  • JerfyT
    JerfyT Members Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GunTown wrote: »
    anyone can spit bars

So incredibly wrong. Writing is a very big talent that few possess.

• GunTown
    Options
    JerfyT wrote: »
    anyone can spit bars

Making words rhyme together is definitley easy your average person can't do it as technically well as a Jay Z or a Nas or a Canibus or a Common or a Big Pun no where near like those lyricists. But non the less anyone can rhyme

Actual song writing and making catchy music, melodies, making music that emotionally connects with the masses, helps people over come struggles is what takes talent obviously still have good or decent technicality but ultimatley the key is just being all rounded so a great rapper who is artistic gives u everything from singing to being able to produce to making songs that help someone going through struggles

All them rappers i listed also just pay RnB singers to feature and do the hooks on their songs and none of them can produce so they pay producers to make the beat

• kingblaze84
    edited June 2015
    Options
    anyone can spit bars

Making words rhyme together is definitley easy your average person can't do it as technically well as a Jay Z or a Nas or a Canibus or a Common or a Big Pun no where near like those lyricists. But non the less anyone can rhyme

Actual song writing and making catchy music, melodies, making music that emotionally connects with the masses, helps people over come struggles is what takes talent obviously still have good or decent technicality but ultimatley the key is just being all rounded so a great rapper who is artistic gives u everything from singing to being able to produce to making songs that help someone going through struggles

All them rappers i listed also just pay RnB singers to feature and do the hooks on their songs and none of them can produce so they pay producers to make the beat

That's the thing though, most people cannot put words together as well like a Jay-Z or old 50 Cent or 2pac did. It takes a lot of effort, musical intelligence and just a good vibe to what people want to hear. I see your point though.

Also, some of those rappers you named do produce, JR Writer is one of them
  • GunTown
    Options
    anyone can spit bars

That's the thing though, most people cannot put words together as well like a Jay-Z or old 50 Cent or 2pac did. It takes a lot of effort, musical intelligence and just a good vibe to what people want to hear. I see your point though.

Also, some of those rappers you named do produce, JR Writer is one of them

JR produces? didn't know very surprised by that
  • willywanker
    willywanker Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    L could have the goat delivery.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    grYmes wrote: »
    L was talented no doubt, but his life & career was cut way too short to judge him against a Jay-Z or Nas or others around that era that have a lengthy catalog. Had he not died this would be a better argument.

That's the thing about Notorious BIG. He was in the game for about just as long as Big L. They have the same amount of material but Notorious BIG is in people's top 5s...and rightfully so.

You can't make an objective argument for Big L being in the top 10 because neither one of his albums was groundbreaking, except for that Harlem's Finest LP...and that didn't have any hits unless you consider that freestyle with Jay Z a "hit".
  • za'kiss
    za'kiss Members Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's up there, but I gotta put Nas, Rakim, Mos Def, and GZA above him in just raw MC ability, particularly in their primes. Maybe Deck too. I think Inspectah Deck from 1993-1997 might've been the most skilled MC on the planet. And I'm still not sure I can name a rapper that has a song more lyrical than his best work.
  • nineties
    nineties Members Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    bck145 wrote: »
    most talented? no

great punchline type rapper, i think if he came out in the early 2000's he would have just been one of the mixtape rappers

I was waiting for this response because I've heard it many times. it's doing him a disservice by calling him a punchline/mixtape rapper. he was a straight up poet, pure and simple. there wasn't a single flaw in his ability to rhyme and put words together. he was able to storytell and paint vivid pictures of the ? he saw around him in harlem. Ebonics alone should be enough to cement L as an all-time talent in hiphop.
  • nineties
    nineties Members Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    Options
    MontyM.Max wrote: »
    Nah. BIG is the most talented rapper of all time. ? made rapping seem easier than anyone I've ever heard.

L tops my list but obviously, Biggie was mad talented and has an argument for this topic.
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1 of the most talented pure rappers/MC's/technical lyricists ever

Along with

Jay Z
    Big Pun
    Nas
    Canibus
    Andre 3000
    Black Thought
    Big Boi
    Rass Kass
    Notorious B.I.G
    Kurupt
    Rakim
    Big Daddy Kane
    Kool G Rap
    Inspectah Deck
    Ghostface
    Method Man
    Fabolous
    Cassidy
    KRS-One
    Crooked I
    Royce
    Lord Jamar
    Busta Rhymes
    Joel Ortiz
    Joe Budden
    Cory Gunz
    J Cole
    MC Shan
    AZ
    R.A. The Rugged Man
    Common
    Lupe Fiasco
    Talib Kweli
    Mos Def
    J.R. Writer
    Cormega

Weren't you just dissing half the guys on this list about two weeks ago?
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Big L was the pinnacle of punch line rappers, everything they could, are and would be... I wouldnt go as far as saying most talented tho, ? barely dropped one album while he was alive and talent directly correlates to your body of work and longevity.

You are not alone tho, I have definitely been listening to Big L at times and thought "Damn, aint nobody ever, ? with L's level of great"
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nineties wrote: »
    bck145 wrote: »
    most talented? no

great punchline type rapper, i think if he came out in the early 2000's he would have just been one of the mixtape rappers

I was waiting for this response because I've heard it many times. it's doing him a disservice by calling him a punchline/mixtape rapper. he was a straight up poet, pure and simple. there wasn't a single flaw in his ability to rhyme and put words together. he was able to storytell and paint vivid pictures of the ? he saw around him in harlem. Ebonics alone should be enough to cement L as an all-time talent in hiphop.

1 song should never cement anyone, I hate when ppl list a song or two by a rapper like that's enough to rank them all time

I'm not saying big l wasn't a good rapper but if he came out a few years later he'd be Lloyd banks, Cassidy, fab, or d block...he's better then them but he's not in the same lane as Pac, nas, jayz....he his album(s) weren't nearly as well rounded
  • JerfyT
    JerfyT Members Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    anyone can spit bars

Anybody can rhyme "cat" with "hat" and "bat." To try and compare that with actually being competent in writing multi-syllabic rhyme schemes and structure it to a coherent narrative is like saying any 3rd grader could write like Shakespeare because they know their alphabet. That doesn't even get into then being able to deliver it. Rapping and singing are also two completely different skills. A great rapper can't necessarily sing at all and a great singer certainly doesn't mean they can rap.

It seems you don't have a lot of respect, if any, for the art form.
  • juelz21
    juelz21 Members Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • juelz21
    edited June 2015
    Options
    i'm known for snatchin' purses and bombin' churches
    I get more ? by accident than most ? get on purpose
    I got drug spots from New York to Canada
    Cause Big L be ? ' with more keys than a janitor
  • GunTown
    edited June 2015
    Options
    That Freestye Jay Z did with Big L Jay Z on that Freestyle>>>>>Any Jay Z song
  • juelz21
    Options
    anyone can spit bars

Anybody can rhyme "cat" with "hat" and "bat." To try and compare that with actually being competent in writing multi-syllabic rhyme schemes and structure it to a coherent narrative is like saying any 3rd grader could write like Shakespeare because they know their alphabet.
    That doesn't even get into then being able to deliver it. Rapping and singing are also two completely different skills. A great rapper can't necessarily sing at all and a great singer certainly doesn't mean they can rap.

It seems you don't have a lot of respect, if any, for the art form.

exactly rhyming multisyllablic while still making sense in terms of the line it self and also not ? with the metaphor wordplay punchlines and being complex in terms of the rhyme scheme it's no easy to do so i agree with this post.