Should "black" athletes take their talents to HBCU's?????

Options
bambu
bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
They aren't teaching them ? at the D-1's............

They dont have a stake in the university, outside of the revenue they produce, that they do not share in profit......

I am tired of ? supporting these D-1 schools and have never stepped foot in a classroom......

https://youtu.be/k0-aiUsMn5I

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chad-williams/should-black-athletes-att_b_6467040.html

Should "black" athletes take their talents to HBCU's????? 48 votes

Yea....take their talents to institutions that are committed to the worthy ideals of accountability and racial diversity and value black students as more than muscle and sinew.
72%
Dupackingofkingzdwade206yellowtapesportbambumiamivice305bigduece69Purrhueyking hassan700illedouthoodsaviorspit_fiyafranknittiSo ILLMr.LViron man1King EraunoMister B. 35 votes
Ney..... Get to the NFL/NBA......
27%
[Deleted User]S2Jusmarin3fortyacresmryounggunL.O.S.T.Idiopathic JokerWhoisDonG???blackgod813onetoughmiracleThe_Jackalnot_osirus_jenkinsSolemnSauce 13 votes

Comments

• Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yea....take their talents to institutions that are committed to the worthy ideals of accountability and racial diversity and value black students as more than muscle and sinew.
    Of course they should. It's the only way HBCUs will ever get real respect in the collegiant sporting world.

But, we need validation from the white man to be ? these days, so.......
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And the reason I voted no is because scouts and nfl teams don't consider these schools to be top notch programs that produce talent. I think the athletes have to take responsibility when they walk through that door. Know that this is only a business decision, know that this is the stepping stone. Know that they don't give a ? about you when it's all said and done. So milk them son of a ? for everything you can get. Then when you get to the peak, turn your back on those crackas.
  • matt2
    matt2 Members Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think that would work out great for the universities. But that's about where the benefits stop
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    get these HBCU's on the map
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black athletes should go to the institutions that can provide them with the best education.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wouldnt matter where they play they dont get paid and the level of risk is the same.

HBCUs still wont mean anything even if all the black players went there.

Yall act like sports aint never been segregated, the ? leagues arent and never have been held with the same esteem as the MLB.

The important thing here is what is best for the kid playing the game.
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    my dad grew up down the street from morris brown college. back then mbc had the only stadium in the auc. thats where all the football games, baseball games and track and field events were. he said he saw everyone from bob hayes, to willie gallimore, to walter payton, to claude humphrey at the old herndon stadium. old man told me he got to see the best athletes in the world every saturday throughout his childhood. now morris brown barely exist and i cant remember the last time that someone got drafted from the auc. integration hurt us on all levels and college sports is perhaps the most obvious and painful.
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you guy want to talk about black empowerment and economics then of course its the best. But you'll have to start with Ncaa basketball its easier. You'll can get to the tourney and will championships
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    Options
    I was recruited to play at Tenn, VTech, UVA, Maryland, BC, UNC, NC State, and Wake back in 04. I was no where near as conscious as I am now. The goal, and I mean absolutey, was to go pro. When you see the draft not to many kids are being drafted out of HBCU's. No HBCU is higher than D1A. That means no games on tons of stations each season. No National championship. No bowl berths. None of that in your face look at me NFL games. If it was comparable this ? could change. But the whole goal of playing a sport is to see if you can make money doing it. Right now going to HBCU'S severely hinder that goal.
  • bambu
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm no segregationist.....

I am; however, a realist.......

I am mostly directing this at the D-1's like Auburn, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and the Carolinas that still have questionable track records of racism and inequality.......

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bambu wrote: »
    jono wrote: »
    Wouldnt matter where they play they dont get paid and the level of risk is the same.

Yall act like sports aint never been segregated, the ? leagues arent and never have been held with the same esteem as the MLB.

That's not the case......

When D-1's started to integrate.......

Powerhouse segregated teams were being dusted by integrated clubs......

That's what expidited integration......

So, it was a well known fact that black schools could compete at an elite level....

Its not about competition. Its about economics. The money is in D1 programs, the opportunities are in D1 programs, thats never going to change.

• bambu
    Options

So, it was a well known fact that black schools could compete at an elite level....

Its not about competition. Its about economics. The money is in D1 programs, the opportunities are in D1 programs, thats never going to change.

Exactly.....

It's about economics......

When these D-1's start loosing revenue......

They may be more inclined to revisit their questionable policies.........

• skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options

lol at an all white lsu team beating eddie robinson and grambling, or an all white vandy team beating john merrit and tenn st, or an all white fsu team beating jake gaither and famu. pick a year, pick a team. ? would have been destruction of epic proportions.

after getting smashed by usc and sam "the bam" cunningham at home coach bear bryant began recruiting blck players. Jerry Claiborne, then an assistant to Bryant, commented later that Cunningham "did more to integrate Alabama in 60 minutes than Martin Luther King had done in 20 years."
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Florida A and M is Division 1.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If black athletes gonna be slaves to someone it might as well be a black ?
  • phukkyou2
    phukkyou2 Members Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    If black athletes gonna be slaves to someone it might as well be a black ?

#Stamp
  • franknitti
    franknitti Members Posts: 154 ✭✭
    Options
    Anthony Mason also played there.
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    Options
    When you see the draft not to many kids are being drafted out of HBCU's. No HBCU is higher than D1A. That means no games on tons of stations each season. No National championship. No bowl berths.

Thats because the best black player go to PWI's... Your argument seems to be that black athletes shouldn't go to HBCUs because black athletes don't go to HBCUs...

Pretty much. No one wants to be the first and risk going undrafted. It's gonna have to be a exodus on a biblical level bruh. A nationwide thing for at least 3 years.
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    Options
    Florida A and M is Division 1.

And they are the bottom of the barrel every year. They moved up to fast imo.