How bad was the ? era?

Options

Comments

• king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man being a kid I remember crackheads ? all over the place. You could be walking or riding down the street and see crackheads ? , ? was crazy. And that's how the prison system blew up too, all those drug offenses, cats were getting 20 to life
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I once heard it said that the ? Era was basically an atom bomb dropped right on the black community.

It absolutely was.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My hood is a ghost town but I remember when every house was filled with families. By 93, mfers was moving to the suburbs in droves.

I remember taking a chick to my hood and they walking around like it was a safari. "Talmbout are we safe? Like we are okay right?" Hilarious!
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wish I could find the documentary I saw on the ? Era, but it was really good. It talked about black neighborhoods were always infested with rampant drug use, but still the people could function and a lot of black neighborhoods were on the rise as far as prosperity goes. They said that the advent of ? practically turned most of those neighborhoods into ghettos damn near over night.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man being a kid I remember crackheads ? all over the place. You could be walking or riding down the street and see crackheads ? , ? was crazy. And that's how the prison system blew up too, all those drug offenses, cats were getting 20 to life

Out of all the changes Obama has done. Getting rid of the disparaging sentencing on nonviolent drug charges will be the biggest accomplishment.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I once heard it said that the ? Era was basically an atom bomb dropped right on the black community.

That is pretty much true though when you think of how some Japanese babies are still being born ? up all these years later. Places where some black people live are still ? up all these years later with people still smoking ? and new people just getting addicted to ? like they didn't see how the ? ? people up. Same with people newly getting hooked on dope to as well though. People just love to get high no matter what it is or the effects of it.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i grew up in Cali..
    i was born around the same time it hit so i dont really remember much.

but i can remember vividly my uncle strung out and runnin around my aunts house naked..

when he'd trip theyd always make us kids go to the room..

as a kid u really dont understand ? .. but in hindsight we was in the thicket.. majority of my family was slangin tho.. couple of my aunts were prostitutes.. granny was a pool shark and ran around wit a sawed off.. ? was wild. hahaha

pops side of the family all banged and slang..

what i remember most was all the funerals.. the streets really wiped out the men in my family.. they aint playin when they say u either gonna die or end up in jail..

the late 80s and the late 90s were bad in LA.. worst ? times!! smmfh
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's funny that rappers made anti-drug songs now they singing songs about slanging dope

It's not funny and a lot of the conscious rappers who made anti drug songs will tell you the executives pushed that type of rap to the forefront for a reason to make it cool to be a gangsta and sell drugs aka destroy the black community
  • king hassan
    Options
    Wuwop wrote: »
    It's funny that rappers made anti-drug songs now they singing songs about slanging dope

It's not funny and a lot of the conscious rappers who made anti drug songs will tell you the executives pushed that type of rap to the forefront for a reason to make it cool to be a gangsta and sell drugs aka destroy the black community

I already know.
  • king hassan
    Options
    Man the worst is seeing your main man who you ran the streets with strung out. Me and this cat went through thick and thin, now I hate to see him coming because he always begging
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

• PapaDoc223
    PapaDoc223 Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    i grew up in Cali..

but i can remember vividly my uncle strung out and runnin around my aunts house naked..

as a kid u really dont understand ? .. but in hindsight we was in the thicket.. majority of my family was slangin tho.. couple of my aunts were prostitutes.. granny was a pool shark and ran around wit a sawed off.. ? was wild. hahaha

what i remember most was all the funerals.. the streets really wiped out the men in my family.. they aint playin when they say u either gonna die or end up in jail..

There is a track Ice Cube made called "My Summer vacation," where he is talking about how LA gang memebers were leaving LA to other states like Texas and Oklahoma start selling dope cuz the market in LA was crowded. Did that ? really happened tho?
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PapaDoc223 wrote: »
    i grew up in Cali..

There is a track Ice Cube made called "My Summer vacation," where he is talking about how LA gang memebers were leaving LA to other states like Texas and Oklahomato start selling dope cuz the market in LA was crowded. Did that ? really happened tho?

i know what song u was talkin about..
    but i was too young to understand the politics bein played..

but yeh..
    ? was movin around..
    i got a cousin.. he an OG still be out there in Nebraska.. been hittin them ? over the head for decades. lol
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ionno mayne im white, my fam was more on heroine
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    "It used to be an honest hustle back then but nowadays
    it's cutthroat, that's ? up, ? want they come up
    so bad they'll take the .357 and smoke they brother
    A damn shame; but, that's the way the game go"

Scarface
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

Yea just the other day I was listening to Backspin the old school hip hop station on Sirius XM and they played "Self Destruction" and then Ice T "6 In The Morning" back to back and it's interesting to literally hear the transition in subject matter in the same era
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    PapaDoc223 wrote: »
    i grew up in Cali..

There is a track Ice Cube made called "My Summer vacation," where he is talking about how LA gang memebers were leaving LA to other states like Texas and Oklahoma start selling dope cuz the market in LA was crowded. Did that ? really happened tho?

Yeah. When ? act so confused as to why there's Bloods and Crips, GDs, etc all over the country now they forget this ? happened. A lot of gang members moved to different cities and established themselves there and brought gang life with them.
  • phukkyou2
    phukkyou2 Members Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Ronald Regan and George Bush committed Treason by investing in ? -? and yet some of you ? still invest your time and energy for a "debate" in threads for Views. smh

? it, ban me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgrdusnsKF0
  • phukkyou2
    phukkyou2 Members Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »

Out of all the changes Obama has done. Getting rid of the disparaging sentencing on nonviolent drug charges will be the biggest accomplishment.

You clearly haven't read the Brother's resume. Obams is literally the greatest President since Since
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ? era sound wild...if worldstar or twitter had been around then...I don't think anybody would even fix their lips to say that things are crazier today than they were before like ppl say sometimes now.
  • Westie
    Westie Members Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bad. I lived next door to a ? house and had family that sold and did it. I saw my 1st machine gun getting off the bus at 7 from a ? who just robbed a store, hearing gunshots regularly at night, saw a ? get shot in the head, etc. glad my kids aren't going thru that ? . They're soft like they should be.
  • Louis Devinear
    Louis Devinear Members Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you were born between the years of 1985-1993
    There is a 93% chance ? ? was in your system

Real talk
  • hoodsavior
    hoodsavior Members Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I started working for the city of Philly at 19.. And office jobs with various ages you learn a lot about people.. It was this one ? era "survivor".. She wasn't off ? tho.. She had bobby brown jaw and would just grind her teeth randomly.. I thought it was powder until I stopped being naive.. And she stole everything.. I'm talking bout food out fridge type petty lol.. I thought it was funny but this og at the job was like "that's how crazy the 80s were.. Not every fiend was unemployed.. She been here 20yrs.. She wasn't always unattractive".. I'm 30 now so when I came to it was on the tail end when the game became wide open when ? was getting booked and killed..