Does it Seem to anybody else that The World is Heading Back to the 60's?

Options
2»

Comments

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah...people aren't nearly as politically active nowadays
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »

That's kind of what I meant when I said "without the soul" .. people are more apathetic

But people don't see the parallels at all? Obviously it's 2015 so there are no things/issues to deal with but

In the 60's they had the Vietnam War that most of America was opposed to
    In the aughts we got the Iraq War and whatever new war they're going to find a reason to fight in the Middle East

They had the Red Scare
    We got the War on Terror

Race relations are horrible and mainstream America wants to avoid working on that at all cost

Relations with Russia are deteriorating and iron curtain re-building on both sides

White racists are getting more emboldened. In the 90's and earlier 2000's dog whistles and coded language was the name of the game...that's slowly going out the window.

Black Churches are being targeted

Black people being found hanged all throughout the south and they're all being ruled suicides
  • PapaDoc223
    PapaDoc223 Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No not really.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    "The 60s" represents a time of positive change in race relations. So pick some other decade to represent what you're trying to say.

@D0wn , Can you tell me why you flagged this post?

Lmao you are an idiot. You know how violent the 60s was for blacks? People only started caring when white people started dying.

Bruh, the postive changes of the 60s compare favorably to any other decade, except maybe the 1860s or 1870s (many of which changes were reversed or nullified in the backlash against Reconstruction). No historian would dispute this. None at all. So if the t/s is saying that things are getting as bad as the 60s, he should probably pick another decade.
  • Stiff
    Options
    "The 60s" represents a time of positive change in race relations. So pick some other decade to represent what you're trying to say.

Lmao you are an idiot. You know how violent the 60s was for blacks? People only started caring when white people started dying.

Bruh, the postive changes of the 60s compare favorably to any other decade, except maybe the 1860s or 1870s (many of which changes were reversed or nullified in the backlash against Reconstruction). No historian would dispute this. None at all. So if the t/s is saying that things are getting as bad as the 60s, he should probably pick another decade.

This thread is about regression...the 60's weren't as bad as the 1880's but they weren't as good as the 90's. What I'm saying is things are heading backwards not even just in terms of race relations but on a global scale as well
  • ChillaDaGawd
    ChillaDaGawd Members Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its always been like this. ..social media makes it easier for like minded crackas to socialize
  • Stiff
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »

This thread is about regression...the 60's weren't as bad as the 1880's but they weren't as good as the 90's. What I'm saying is things are heading backwards not even just in terms of race relations but on a global scale as well

Actually i take this back I don't think the 60's were worse than the 90's in every way...the Black "community" was definitely more stable in the 60s
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options

I see. Still, as I said, the 60s represents a time of positive change. So though 'heading back to the 60s' suggests regression, it also suggests positive change.
  • Stiff
    Options

I see. Still, as I said, the 60s represents a time of positive change. So though 'heading back to the 60s' suggests regression, it also suggests positive change.

Are you saying there hasn't been positive change since the 60's?
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no the black family structure was stronger back then and there wasn't so many freaks running around and ? weren't taking over like they are now.

How are ? taking over, when theyre only 3% of the american population ? , and even a smaller percentage in the blk community.
    There

That's kind of what I meant when I said "without the soul" .. people are more apathetic

But people don't see the parallels at all? Obviously it's 2015 so there are no things/issues to deal with but

In the aughts we got the Iraq War and whatever new war they're going to find a reason to fight in the Middle East

They had the Red Scare
    We got the War on Terror

Race relations are horrible and mainstream America wants to avoid working on that at all cost

Relations with Russia are deteriorating and iron curtain re-building on both sides

White racists are getting more emboldened. In the 90's and earlier 2000's dog whistles and coded language was the name of the game...that's slowly going out the window.

Black people being found hanged all throughout the south and they're all being ruled suicides

N on the east coast
  • Stiff
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    no the black family structure was stronger back then and there wasn't so many freaks running around and ? weren't taking over like they are now.

How are ? taking over, when theyre only 3% of the american population ? , and even a smaller percentage in the blk community.
    There

They had the Red Scare
    We got the War on Terror

N on the east coast

Put me on that I ain't even heard about that
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nothing new under the sun.

No time was a better time. Its all the same ? .

The world was messed up in the biblical age and so forth. Dark skins were hating light skins. Our own people were selling our own kind into slavery. ? roamed the streets, bastard children roamed the streets and women were still not respected.

Its a shame but so many centuries has passed and humanity itself didn't evolve.
  • Ranxx
    Ranxx Members Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    Nothing new under the sun.

No time was a better time. Its all the same ? .

The world was messed up in the biblical age and so forth. Dark skins were hating light skins. Our own people were selling our own kind into slavery. ? roamed the streets, bastard children roamed the streets and women were still not respected.

Its a shame but so many centuries has passed and humanity itself didn't evolve.

Exactly, human nature will never change. It's just the same game over and over again but with different players.
  • Stiff
    Options
  • Stiff
    Options
    rapmusic wrote: »
    Where are these "race riots" that people love to talk about?

Cincinatti, Ferguson, Baltimore ... possibly more to come

Charlotte, Milwaukee
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's always been the same, you just been caught up in the matrix
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ghostdog56 wrote: »
    It's always been the same, you just been caught up in the matrix

That's what I'm thinking. The "change" we've been seeing and praising may be so marginal and insignificant that now that our technology had enabled us to capture all of the injustice on film we're forced to see that we've completely romanticized how far we've actually come
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It's definitely some parallels but I'd say we as blacks took education, family, and political activism way more seriously. ? were really woke back then. Nowadays, if a ? listen to Chance, got a mini fro, and has a shirt with Africa on it, they're working with a third eye. Lol its hilarious