What's The Difference/Your Opinion Between A Rapper And A Artist

Options

Comments

• blatalian
    blatalian Members Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree...all rappers/MC's are artists in tha perspective of music/hip-hop is an art form. I do think some people try and pull tha "he's a better artist b/c he can play instruments and produce" card when it benefits them. I also think b/c music is sooo subjective that many people do honestly think there's a difference in an artist and just a rapper/MC who's not into making beats, producing, conceptualizing, etc etc. Is all upto that person's reasoning. I just personally don't agree with tha "I'm gonna pull this artist card cuz it's gonna help my argument" people. If you have a valid opinion/reason for thinking that I can appreciate that...
  • blatalian
    blatalian Members Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    A rapper is a person with a talent to write and spit rhymes. An artist is a person who applies that talent to create different techniques to rhyming, poetic conventions, and/or concepts/subject matter. They should talk about something different, or something the same as everybody else in a different way.

So is Basquiat not an artist because he didn't draw/paint realistic pics? Is Picasso not and artist cuz he did crazy mozaic style pics? My point is there are different styled artists in every genre of art...music included. I can't/wouldn't say someone who JUST writes songs isn't an artist...he's just a different styled artist than someone who writes, produces, plays muaic, conceptualize etc etc

And even tho I don't necessarily agree with you I do respect/appreciate your opinion as I feel you make valid points to rationalize your opinion...
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blatalian wrote: »
    I agree...all rappers/MC's are artists in tha perspective of music/hip-hop is an art form. I do think some people try and pull tha "he's a better artist b/c he can play instruments and produce" card when it benefits them. I also think b/c music is sooo subjective that many people do honestly think there's a difference in an artist and just a rapper/MC who's not into making beats, producing, conceptualizing, etc etc. Is all upto that person's reasoning. I just personally don't agree with tha "I'm gonna pull this artist card cuz it's gonna help my argument" people. If you have a valid opinion/reason for thinking that I can appreciate that...

? bless you
    giphy.gif
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    cmon down Guntown
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is no difference ....rapping = art
  • TayGettem
    Options
    cmon down Guntown

When she gets called out she known to run lol
  • murdap
    murdap Members Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭
    Options
    TayGettem wrote: »
    murdap wrote: »
    Fosheezy wrote: »
    Rappers entertain, artists elevate.

So you saying Lupe doesn't elevate with his conscious rap mind set
    Speaking on topics other rappers wouldn't
    Rapping abt things that actually require a listener to maybe look up some ?
    In order to understand what his talking abt

Lupe definitely an artist. Let me also add that though just because an artist elevates with his work doesn't mean it can't also be entertaining. But a "rappers" work doesn't elevate anybody it's just meant to entertain you. Like solja boy.

Lupe ass cheeks bruh i havent ever met a lupe fiasco fan in real life. The radio dont play none of his songs so i wouldnt say hes a an artist he more like a struggle rapper. Chris brown and drake are artists people who can actually sing and rap. You have to be multi talented to be an artist.

I'm sorry but if u go by what's on the radio I can't nor will anyone else with half a brain take you seriously
    An Drake is a harmonizer not a singer
    Chris is a singer
    Trey songz is a singer
    Maxwell is a singer and not on the radio
    Common is a rapper who's not always played on radio
    Drake ain't hitting nun of the notes chris, trey or maxwell hit
    An Drake sure aint going bar for bar with common or lupe
    That played on radio ? is a poor excuse especially when rap is in a poor climate
    I'm assuming you didn't grow up in the late 80's or early 90's era of music when the rap game was more diverse

Radio play all the hot new music out if you aint popping then you aint on the radio i mean i never heard lupe on any radio station or in anybody car riding with the windows down. I came up in the golden era nwa and big daddy kane in the 80's. Master p bone thugs pac big nas dmx mobb deep in the 90's. Black eyed peas are artists and not just rappers since you said chris and drake dont count. Fergie rap and sing

So you saying u a grow as man
    Using the radio play/ridden round with the windows down excuse hot diggty damn
    U sound like a mindless teenager that thinks RHQ, Young Thug and Future are good rappers just cuz they on radio now
    An also u must got that basic radio b.s upgrade to Satellite radio I promise u you'll hear Lupe, Joey badass and more artist u wouldn't hear on regular radio stations
    Satellite is where the real new music gets played
    Satellite Radio >>>> Basic 97.9

Rhq future and thugger get mad radio play and by people who ride with the windows down playing they music. You cant always listen to explicit rap music so thats where the radio songs come into play. Might be in the car with the kids r an older family member. And i never hear struggle rappers like lupe.
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options

Lupe definitely an artist. Let me also add that though just because an artist elevates with his work doesn't mean it can't also be entertaining. But a "rappers" work doesn't elevate anybody it's just meant to entertain you. Like solja boy.

Lupe ass cheeks bruh i havent ever met a lupe fiasco fan in real life. The radio dont play none of his songs so i wouldnt say hes a an artist he more like a struggle rapper. Chris brown and drake are artists people who can actually sing and rap. You have to be multi talented to be an artist.

I'm sorry but if u go by what's on the radio I can't nor will anyone else with half a brain take you seriously
    Chris is a singer
    Trey songz is a singer
    That played on radio ? is a poor excuse especially when rap is in a poor climate
    I'm assuming you didn't grow up in the late 80's or early 90's era of music when the rap game was more diverse

Radio play all the hot new music out if you aint popping then you aint on the radio i mean i never heard lupe on any radio station or in anybody car riding with the windows down. I came up in the golden era nwa and big daddy kane in the 80's. Master p bone thugs pac big nas dmx mobb deep in the 90's. Black eyed peas are artists and not just rappers since you said chris and drake dont count. Fergie rap and sing

U sound like a mindless teenager that thinks RHQ, Young Thug and Future are good rappers just cuz they on radio now
    An also u must got that basic radio b.s upgrade to Satellite radio I promise u you'll hear Lupe, Joey badass and more artist u wouldn't hear on regular radio stations

Rhq future and thugger get mad radio play and by people who ride with the windows down playing they music. You cant always listen to explicit rap music so thats where the radio songs come into play. Might be in the car with the kids r an older family member. And i never hear struggle rappers like lupe.

You said that ? like all them rappers you listed are ? role models. Just cuz its popular doesn't always mean its quality. I like ? on the radio to a point & that's when its straight trash. I bump Lupe & whoever got lyrics with the windows down, just not that steppin' & fetchin' coonery the radio want you to hear.
  • TayGettem
    Options

Chris is a singer
    Trey songz is a singer

Well I've heard Lupe on Satellite radio and just cuz u don't hear it don't mean its not played
    When I go into my hood ion hear Kendrick Lamar getting played but don't mean he ain't getting played somewhere by someone come on now bru be brighter than that
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    blatalian wrote: »

They tend to pull the artist card when it suits their argument.
  • murdap
    Options
    grYmes wrote: »

Chris is a singer
    Trey songz is a singer

You said that ? like all them rappers you listed are ? role models. Just cuz its popular doesn't always mean its quality. I like ? on the radio to a point & that's when its straight trash. I bump Lupe & whoever got lyrics with the windows down, just not that steppin' & fetchin' coonery the radio want you to hear.

They young black men enjoying life getting that bread if a lid wanted to have them as a role model i dont have any objections. If you rode with the windowd down bumpin lupe you aint gone get no females they gone get in the car and say put that rhq boosie or that future in # facts
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Chris is a singer
    Trey songz is a singer

They young black men enjoying life getting that bread if a lid wanted to have them as a role model i dont have any objections. If you rode with the windowd down bumpin lupe you aint gone get no females they gone get in the car and say put that rhq boosie or that future in # facts

What a idiot
  • TayGettem
    Options

Chris is a singer
    Trey songz is a singer

Lol oh hell na what does good music have to do with getting ? is u fr.
    ? women are known to have different taste in music than men
    Of course they gonna wanna hear some sing along or up tempo ?
    But then again it depends on the women u Fck with or attract
    An u off topic how does a females opinion make RHQ better than Lupe lol
    An u don't see nothing wrong with ? rapping abt how selling drugs and killing ? is cool
    An how every problem should be solved with a gun cuz it shows u a real ?
    Lawd I hope you never have a kid cuz if them rappers his role models he gonna be in jail or die one
  • TayGettem
    Options

Chris is a singer
    Trey songz is a singer

Lol oh hell na what does good music have to do with getting ? is u fr.
    ? women are known to have different taste in music than men
    Of course they gonna wanna hear some sing along or up tempo ?
    But then again it depends on the women u Fck with or attract
    An u off topic how does a females opinion make RHQ better than Lupe lol
    An u don't see nothing wrong with ? rapping abt how selling drugs and killing ? is cool
    An how every problem should be solved with a gun cuz it shows u a real ?
    Lawd I hope you never have a kid cuz if them rappers his role models he gonna be in jail or die one

Forgot to mention how young thug promotes the demasculation of black males so @murdap basically dont mind lil boys thinking its ok to wrong ? tank tops as outfit attire...just stop while ur behind
    u get anymore behind imma need binoculars to see the L u catching in this thread
  • grYmes
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Lol I'm married but if my wife get in the car and told me to "bump that Fetty Wap", man...

95c2da875b8d030d8614510a67863d89a1a9967473313d2b40c8afd1c14607d2_large

You must be a young buck lettin ? dictate what you listen to. SMH.
  • murdap
    Options
    Im trying to get them pannies and lupe aint gone help me smash. Thats that history book rap that type of music aint wavey. People want to hear bout that rugged inner city street life over nice beats not techno lupe fiasco jibberish. why not have a realistic role model instead of somebody who dont come from the same hardship as the person who addores them. The rags to riches stories always trump the easy breeze to stardom.
  • grYmes
    Options
    Im trying to get them pannies and lupe aint gone help me smash. Thats that history book rap that type of music aint wavey. People want to hear bout that rugged inner city street life over nice beats not techno lupe fiasco jibberish. why not have a realistic role model instead of somebody who dont come from the same hardship as the person who addores them. The rags to riches stories always trump the easy breeze to stardom.

Only a wet behind the ears Lil Jimmy lookin dude would have that mentality but that's ok. You must not know how this system works, the dudes spittin that cornball ass lyrics and showing that ? /faggotry are the ones with the easy breeze to stardom. Not the lyrical dudes who actually put down some real ? and that's sad. Dudes like Lupe got hot because of quality not trends. No one told you to use Lupe to get ? 's but damn you must got some special Ed females if they fall for them short bus jingles you bump in your whip.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Juicy J=mainstream rapper

K.B.=underground artist
  • TayGettem
    Options

Lupe didn't have it easy he comes from Chi
    He also sold dope and has gang ties he just doesn't rap abt it
    Cuz he rather give a positive msg in his music
    Shows how much u actually know abt Lupe
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol like ppl that listen to lupe only listen to that type of music
  • Louis Devinear
    Louis Devinear Members Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? pull that artist card to benefit their narrative.

Rappers are artist. The art just varies from rapper to rapper.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its used to justify liking and listening to garbage.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Kanye is a technically flawed "rapper" his flow, his breath control, but his "content, hooks, beat selection, image@ as an "artist "overshadows his "technical rapper flaws".
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a Rapper is just an entertainer...

An artist who can be a rapper ..has music that endures

These fetty waps futures and jabbathehutts are rappers fast food rap
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kanye west is more of an artist than a regular rapper.