Cassidy Says That Rappers Having Writers Is Normal And Not A Big deal

Options
J.J._Evans
J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in The Reason
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du-nvb-S9KM

"There's been plenty of rappers that I like they music my whole life before I knew them, and then when I got a chance to meet them, they wanted me to write for them."

Comments

• Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J.J._Evans wrote: »
    ? Cassidy

Other news Drake has a history of ghost reading
    http://www.complex.com/music/2015/07/drake-ghostwriting-collaborating

Why don't you start a thread about it then?

This thread is about Cassidy revealing that it is normal to have writers and that basically all the established rappers use them.

like who? Exactly, he didn't say ? .
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? Cassidy

Other news Drake has a history of ghost reading

help on hooks is common
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    oh my bad i aint read the whole thing lol.

but for example where ol girl said she texted a bar. that ? is common, as ? . ? bounce ideas or be like "say it like this" all the time.
  • za'kiss
    za'kiss Members Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    He needs to tell us who these ? with ghostwriters are. They need to come out the closet, pause

Co-sign 100%. We need air all these industry ? out. It's time for a cleansing. We got to destroy and rebuild. No ? should be protected. Heads need to roll man. Let's get some transparency.

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    im tellin yall, that one bar here and there thing is more common than u think. if yall have been in a studio on a regular basis ud see, ideas are bounced off the wall all the time, but that whole verse ? nah

damn im goin in was hard too smfh :(
  • za'kiss
    za'kiss Members Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm Goin' In is like one of his more famous lyrical joints lol
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    if an artist is established. best believe he has some writers or used some.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn....I hope none of my favorite rappers got/had ghostwriters. I don't know how I would feel about that?
  • J.J._Evans
    Options
    za'kiss wrote: »

? . That's way more than help on hooks. Any of you ? read this? Lol.... Drake got army of ghostwriters

Those are only accusations, just like a lot of posters wanted to say the two guys coming at Meek about ghostwriting for him were nothing but accusations. They basically said that unless there are reference tracks, it's only accusations.
  • Knightryder
    Knightryder Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ghostwriting in Hip Hop isn't new so Cassidy is correct...you could say Grandmaster Caz is considered the 1st ghostwriter considering he wrote Big Bank Hank's (RIP) verse from Sugar Hill Gang's "Rapper's Delight". It's been plenty of controversy about ghostwriting and whether we like it or not, they're in the industry, but the key rule is that the ghostwriter is to remain in the shadows, write the hits and collect checks.

Mad Skillz aka Skillz is one of the well known ghostwriters in the game, even released a track about it exposing his clientele, but left the names edited in the song..everyone knows The DOC's pen game with Dr. Dre, Snoop, Eazy etc...and I'm sure ya'll know about Rakim writing "Summertime" for Will Smith. The ghostwriting in Hip Hop is endless: Sauce Money is another infamous ghostwriter...

If you're a student of Hip Hop and lyric styles and have a good ear, you can easily pick up certain flows on a majority of artists and realize that most of them had their lyrics written by someone else, especially when they used to rap a certain way on one album then all of a sudden their rap style changed drastically, in this case and point Drake.

Which is why this ? doesn't surprise me when some use to say JayZ bit Young Chris' flow...ironic.

Get that ? out of here with that jayz biting young chris flow.......that has to be one of the worst reachest i ever
    Heard in hip hop..... thats just some ? some random ? said, and everybody latched on
    to basically make jay look bad.........ive been listening to both these ? , from the beginning and
    didnt hear no similarities. ....

? reminds me of the ? rumor of pun hitting jay over the head with a bottle......and
    everybody riding with the myth, even jim jones was riding with it, than jay said in a song he never
    Got hit in a head with a bottle years later.........

than i seen a interview recently like 3 years ago on forbez dvd with cuban links talking, and he said jay never got hit in a head with
    a bottle, but memphis bleek is the one who hit a ? in terror squad over the head with a bottle........

smfh.........
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im on the fence with every point made in this thread
  • J.J._Evans
    Options
    Im on the fence with every point made in this thread

Good post and I think a lot of posters are in the same position.

This Cassidy revelation basically says that everyone does it and it's been happening for a very long time. This revelation hurts the argument that some posters have made against Drake.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Soooooo, if ghostwriting has been around so long why wasn't it a big deal until now? People are trying to group R&B writers with rap writers but it's not the same. Singers get by on their voices, rappers get by on their lyrics. Nobody cares about a rappers voice. And why aren't too many rappers out here telling us they have ghostwriters but they love to tell us they're the best? Never seen so many folks give something a pass that's not supposed to be a good thing. ? can't get a pass because they sound like another rapper but ghostwriting is ok? Alright..
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't really care about the the ghostwriting debate to a point. There's one thing to help with hooks and certain lines getting bounced around in the studio I understand that. However, taking someone else's skills and making it seem like it's your own on EVERY aspect of your game is something I got a problem with.

There's a place for ghosts as far as guys for Diddy or Dre they're not known for lyrical ability. But when you a rapper and people trying to claim you're one of the best in the game and the majority of your ? is written by someone else, I don't respect that IMO. Drake has his cake and eats it too and as much records he sells, no one in their right mind will claim he's a lyrical great ghostwriters or not.
  • J.J._Evans
    Options
    rapmusic wrote: »
    Soooooo, if ghostwriting has been around so long why wasn't it a big deal until now? People are trying to group R&B writers with rap writers but it's not the same. Singers get by on their voices, rappers get by on their lyrics. Nobody cares about a rappers voice. And why aren't too many rappers out here telling us they have ghostwriters but they love to tell us they're the best? Never seen so many folks give something a pass that's not supposed to be a good thing. ? can't get a pass because they sound like another rapper but ghostwriting is ok? Alright..

Ask Cassidy.
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol said part is ? really would be hurt if they found out most of they favs have writters