They Cant be serious with this ? ..............

Options
Built 4 cuban linx
Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
Straight Outta Excuses: It's Time We Confront Dr. Dre's History of Beating Up Women

by Crystal Irby

Within the past year, more attention has been paid to Black men who abuse and victimize women. Bill Cosby, Ray Rice, and Floyd Mayweather have all been taken to task if not by the law, then by the public for their violence. However, there is one man who has, for decades, evaded being held accountable for his violence against Black women: hip-hop mogul and producer, Dr. Dre. As we near the release of Straight Out of Compton—one the most anticipated movies to document hip-hop culture—we must question, why are we still largely overlooking that Dr. Dre is also a known abuser of Black women?

While many find his content problematic, Dr. Dre’s innovation and influence on the music industry has been deemed admirable. He is, undoubtedly, a music icon. And as with all icons, his image has been sanitized. This is extremely troubling, as a Dr. Dre’s history of abusing multiple Black women in the 1990s has largely been erased. Thus, we must also question, what message does our erasure of his violence send?

Social media and the resulting 24 hour news cycle did not exist in the 90s. And neither did our culture’s willingness to have complex discussions around domestic violence. Today, though, pictures and videos travel around the world in a matter of seconds. Nothing an entertainer does is a private matter. Yet still, it continues to take insurmountable evidence to take a Black man to task for his documented brutality against women.

The consistent chorus of 46 women has still not been enough to convince some folks that Bill Cosby is a serial ? . Seeing Janay Rice knocked unconscious by her then fiancé Ray Rice in an elevator was not enough. So it makes sense that a blind eye has been turned to Dr. Dre, because no visual evidence is present. If there are no visible scars, it is easier to believe violence is not present or that it was invited. Unless you are the victim.

Furthermore women who spoke out against violent, misogynist behavior in the 1990s were deemed as women trying to tear down Black men. Robin Givens will forever be a gold digger, rather than a victim of domestic violence. Mike Tyson was given a hero’s welcome by Harlem after being convicted of ? Desiree Washington, while she disappeared into oblivion by changing her identity and undergoing cosmetic surgery. C. Deloris Tucker is remembered more for her fight against the misogynist tone of N.W.A. lyrics than her historic work as politician and feminist. Anita Hill was accused of participating in the “high-tech lynching” of Clarence Thomas when she testified about the sexual harassment she endured while working for the now Supreme Court Justice Thomas at the EOCC. And Dee Barnes, host of the 90’s show Pump It Up, was “a bytch who got what she deserved” after Dr. Dre beat her, because she did an interview with Ice Cube, in which he dissed the group N.W.A. after having recently left it.

Given the hostility and vitriol these women experienced, it is easy to question why anyone, especially a Black woman, would hold abusive Black men accountable for their actions.

The identities of these women have become inextricably tied to the men who perpetrated violence against them. However the men, Dr. Dre included, have gone on to carve out new paths and attain more success. Since Michel’le has began to openly discuss the abuse she endured while in a relationship with Dr. Dre, every interview she does becomes about him. While it is important for victims to speak their truth, we must see them also as survivors. We cannot allow victimhood to cast such a long shadow over their lives, that it erases their identity. On the other hand, when it comes to high-profile perpetrators of violence against women, society is more than eager to move past their transgressions.

The conversation about domestic violence, which seemed to be at an all-time high last year, is almost non-existent now. Instead, it has transformed into whether or not Ray Rice “deserves” a second chance. Floyd Mayweather’s greatness as a fighter and acumen as a businessman is discussed far more than his history of domestic abuse. The mayor of Compton offered Dr. Dre the key to the city. Social media is proving that the world is beaming with anticipation, awaiting the official release of Straight Outta Compton. Meanwhile the film completely erases the women Dr. Dre assaulted in the early 1990s, despite there having been some mainstream media coverage of the incidents at the time.

Yes, Dr. Dre’s career is impressive. However, it does not atone for the acts of violence he committed against women. Atonement cannot occur without accountability. Journalists, writers, filmmakers, and musicians—especially those who say they are fighting to dismantle systemic oppression—must hold Dr. Dre responsible for the pain he inflicted on these women. To write create stories and music around his legacy without acknowledging his violence is an injustice.

Just like his victims, he must be questioned in every interview. It is time to shift focus to the root cause of perpetrator behavior: misogyny and patriarchy. It is time to use a concrete definition of love that excludes violence. It time for Dr. Dre and other male celebrities to publicly confess and atone for their crimes.

The price being paid for their silence is too high. Every nine seconds a woman is battered. Every 107 seconds, a person is sexually assaulted in the United States. African-American women experience intimate partner violence at a rate 35% higher than that of white women. They may also be less likely to report their abuser and/or seek help.

As Pearl Cleage stated in her excellent book, Mad at Miles: A Black Woman’s Guide to Truth, we must confront the painful yet necessary question of, “How can they hit us and still be our heroes?”

http://www.forharriet.com/2015/08/straight-outta-excuses-its-time-we.html#axzz3iPxXPZfH

Comments

• Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    sorry if this was already posted it the compton thread. Havent kept up with it but why bring this up now...this happened so long ago I was too damn young to know what happened. When I first heard the eminem lyric I didnt know wtf he was talking about
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For Harriet... I only know of them because I came across an post in which they had the nerve to say why are we marching for Eric garner (or Walter Scott... It escapes me at the moment) & not standing up for black women.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didnt one of you Reason posters go on a "Dr Dre beats up women" posting rampage not too long ago?

I believe they compared him to Bill Cosby or something.

Anyways... ? all that

GOAT album of 2015 so far
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    Oh, they're very serious. The plan is to engrain the Black man as the face of domestic violence in the American psyche. They've succeeded with being an absentee father, and most other violent crimes.

Next I think all of a sudden there's going to be a rash of Black pedophiles

and to add on to this...it's fascinating that the media took the "the NFL has a problem with domestic abuse amongst its players"

when studies have shown that police officers have a much higher rate of domestic abuse
  • ChillaDaGawd
    ChillaDaGawd Members Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They tried ? with Michael Jackson

• SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didn't read all that, but if they wanna complain about dre beating on women, its their right. He do have a history of knocking chicks the ? out.

• Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    there are certain ppl who have come to realize that tearing down the legacy of great ppl is quite lucrative.
    especially if the ppl u r tearing down are black...
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gee brings up em's racial tapes nonstop when hes not banned. this really is no different. some people will not forgive someone when an issue hits close to home. you might not forgive a racist comment like em's if you have experienced racism and that's your right. for people who have experienced domestic violence or know people who have they will not let these situations from Dre's past go.
  • SheerExcellence
    Options
    there are certain ppl who have come to realize that tearing down the legacy of great ppl is quite lucrative.
    especially if the ppl u r tearing down beat or ? women...

Fixed
  • TheRealness91
    TheRealness91 Members Posts: 155 ✭✭
    Options
    People forget about that Dee Barnes situation. Dre ? her up pretty bad.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Fixed

i'm saying tho...

beating and ? women is wrong

but how about they devote some energy to tearing down white people that beat and ? women? how many sexual assault charges has ben rothlisberg caught now? cops be beating the ? out their wives no noise for that?

or is the message that beating and ? women is wrong if you're black
  • ChillaDaGawd
    ChillaDaGawd Members Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dre addressed Dee Barnes on Guilty Conscience
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lets be honest tho dre getting this natty light treatment as far as the outrage by people. They got photos of what chris brown did and video of ray rice. Those incidents also occured in the 24 hours new cycle and blog/social media age so both ray and chris will never be able to truly get back to where they were image wise. And rightfully so them ? are cowards for what they did. Ray seems to have learn Bhris hasn't learned he still a hoe.

Post incidents Dre ? around and became a billionaire after his plastic ? ass ? headphones sold and he got a deal with apple. And when beats were starting to blow up he didn't really face much flack then.
  • SheerExcellence
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »

Fixed

i'm saying tho...

beating and ? women is wrong

but how about they devote some energy to tearing down white people that beat and ? women? how many sexual assault charges has ben rothlisberg caught now? cops be beating the ? out their wives no noise for that?

or is the message that beating and ? women is wrong if you're black

I don't see it as "either/or" plenty of women groups bash ben rothlesburger and have done so since the charge he caught.

As for cops, with all the killing of blacks and mistreatment recently, cops have been ridiculed in the media and through marches...I know in nyc a year ago or some cop ? some chick who was ? and he got in trouble...another was trying to go and ? and eat a chick and he got in trouble...so I don't see ppl ignoring this did...

As for these women "bringing down dr. Dre" this ultimately isn't going to do anything. He isn't going to jail and he still going to be worth close to a billion. All I'm saying is if they want to protest, let them protest. I'm not a woman and I've never been beaten so I can't be telling them how to feel about it.

I know if there was some rock star who had a history of beating up black dudes, and was rich and wealthy I would never forgive that ? ...

And furthermore specifically with Dre, he only seems to flex when it comes to black women...You never see him accused of beating up a black man or white/asain women or white man. So yah, he not someone id be sticking up for, personally.

He got that self hate in him, seems like.
  • ClemsonKUjayhawks215
    ClemsonKUjayhawks215 Members Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Options
    the bottom line is ALOT of women like that aggressive, dont give a fucc type dude.. I never hit a girl but I been in two relationships where I snapped( verbally) on the jawn and both times the girls said something along the lines of " yo that turned me on"... I'm thinkin in my head "yo it turnt u on that I just blacked on u"... So I dont feel sorry for them when they end up in these situations
  • dj pre-k
    dj pre-k Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aye a ? get too outta line ya gotta do watcha gotta do
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    They tried ? with Michael Jackson

He did that ?

he did not. the "victims" admitted they lied. they were paid off to lie on MJ @TheGOAT
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? up thing is the author, Crystal Irby is black
  • SheerExcellence
    Options
    the bottom line is ALOT of women like that aggressive, dont give a fucc type dude.. I never hit a girl but I been in two relationships where I snapped( verbally) on the jawn and both times the girls said something along the lines of " yo that turned me on"... I'm thinkin in my head "yo it turnt u on that I just blacked on u"... So I dont feel sorry for them when they end up in these situations
    dj pre-k wrote: »

But look though, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying let a chick do any ol thing and you accept it like a punk and get stepped on and treated like ?

All I'm saying is beware of the game and the traps. As black men we can't be out here hitting women or else we going to be in jail with our lives in the hands of white judges and the legal system. And that's a system that we know is already against us.

It's not about whether it's fair or not, it's about being smart to the traps out there for us. And as for you Clemson...I personally wouldn't chill with a chick that was baiting me to hit her cause it turns her on...cause the one time you give in, cops are being called and it's your ass.

But hey this just my opinion, y'all feel free to do whatever you want
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And yall thought C. Delores Tucker was dead...

Trillfate wrote: »

? up thing is the author, Crystal Irby is black

They gave Hannibal Buress his own show for that Cosby ? .
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    prob cause dr dre has been slapping ? forever its almost his brand to degrade women ... but guys like Bill cosby have a total opposite kind of image and why he was getting burned ... cause he was suppose to be the nice guy .... and i really hate to say this but alot of black women tend to draw that physical abuse ... no one deserves it but you get what you ask for ..... ijs ..... it aint like black woman are known to go after gentleman ... ijs .... its more out here that are purposely with criminal jail bird ? negroes its not even funny ... if it aint that they chasing some entertainer or local rappers or local musicians or local promoters .... ijs ..... empower yourself and start seeking real men until then yall will forever be victims of abuse .........
  • antarticp
    edited August 2015
    Options

factz !! women are they own worst enemy ...
  • antarticp
    edited August 2015
    Options
    dj pre-k wrote: »

But look though, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying let a chick do any ol thing and you accept it like a punk and get stepped on and treated like ?

All I'm saying is beware of the game and the traps. As black men we can't be out here hitting women or else we going to be in jail with our lives in the hands of white judges and the legal system. And that's a system that we know is already against us.

It's not about whether it's fair or not, it's about being smart to the traps out there for us. And as for you Clemson...I personally wouldn't chill with a chick that was baiting me to hit her cause it turns her on...cause the one time you give in, cops are being called and it's your ass.

But hey this just my opinion, y'all feel free to do whatever you want

sad part is you prob wont even go to jail ... she will make you her boyfriend and have you babies ... it aint until years go by of the same ? that her dumb as will start to wake up and realize that aint luv taps its abuse and dude may have an issue ..... ive seen it with my eyes way to many times to ever think anything different .... smh @ woman and then they want to play the victim .... and i dont get in the middle of those cases ... cause the minute you risk you own physical and maybe relations with the dude to help this WOMAN out ... next week shes hugged back up with dude talking about my 1 and only love .... FOH !!