D.O.C.'s Top Five D.O.C. Ghostwritten Songs

Options
TheGOAT
TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in The Reason
docws.jpg

In the paper this week I get inside the head of D.O.C., who ghostewrote the bulk of the early Ruthless Records catalog and is all over The Chronic and ? . His own solo career was ascendent on the strength of his platinum debut No One Can Do It Better before a car accident wrecked his vocal chords.

Though originally from Dallas, D.O.C's a West coast legend, largely responsible for creating the hip hop characters portrayed by Eazy-E, Dr. Dre, and Snoop. He has rarely gotten the proper credit -- or cash -- due to him over the years, but it's no secret that penned many of the big early gangsta rap classics. Here then, straight from the man himself, are his top five songs he wrote on, in no particular order.

1. "Nuthin' But A 'G' Thang," Dr. Dre featuring Snoop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucoK6KN1dzU
"When ''G' Thang' was created, I was living in Agoura Hills, and Snoop and Warren G were living with me. In 1990 me and Snoop each took the beat to different parts of the house to write. Snoop went upstairs, I stayed downstairs, and we met back up in an hour. When he came back downstairs I said, 'Let's take this piece and put it here...This doesn't really work there.' It's really just like a jigsaw [puzzle]. And then I said, 'For the last line [of Dre's verse], let's put my name on there,' because otherwise I wouldn't get to be in the song. That's why Dre says: Like my ? D.O.C./ No one can do it better."

2. "We Want Eazy," Eazy-E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igxl7YtS1vQ
"That was the first day I ever went to the studio with Dre in Cali, in 1988. Dre pulled up the track and said, 'Doc, you got something?' Eazy, Ren and Yella were there -- Cube wasn't around a lot. [The song] took me 15 minutes to write. When you're 19 and excited, that ? comes out of you like ? . Eazy started learning it -- that took a day or two. He wasn't the most talented ? in the world; it generally took him 12 hours to get through a verse. But when he got it it was good, and pretty soon the song was every-? -where. That's a testament to Dre, who taught me 95 percent of what I know.

3. "The Next Episode," Dr. Dre, featuring Snoop Dogg, Nate Dogg, and Kurupt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADIyIlO-_Ug
"I'd cultivated that song for such a long time. The very last line of ''G' Thang' is 'Just chill 'till the next episode,' but this song didn't happen for ten more years. We did it three or four times before it finally appeared on 2001. We were just waiting for the right story, and 2001 ended up being a huge record."

4. "Prelude/Still Talkin'," Eazy-E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_yH3LELrtY
"That's my Rakim impression: 'Easily I approach...' That was me giving Eazy East coast impressions that other West coast guys weren't up on...[At that point] everyone was saying I was the greatest. I got a big head. When I came in with a good rap, Cube would have to go home and re-write his raps. We would goof around. Once we pretended we were film critics from London. It was funny to see Cube with his gheri curl, doing a British accent.

5. "Alwayz Into Somethin'," NWA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxAEXUyGM94
"This was when Cube had just left the group. I'd just lost my voice. Everyone's wondering, 'How's NWA gonna continue, with Cube gone?' As for me, all I had was alcohol and strip clubs. I was going though a tough time. I wrote that song for everyone, and it made me feel that even though I'd lost my voice I was still valuable."

http://www.laweekly.com/music/docs-top-five-doc-ghostwritten-songs-2406882

Comments

• Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    I tried to embed a couple more tweets but it keeps rejecting it saying "it will be approved upon review"

Basically he confirmed Dre wrote most of Compton himself along with King Mez & Justus

But added his input was everywhere
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    I kind of always figured that's why his name is in that last part of "Nuthin But A G Thing"...would be nice to know which parts he helped Snoop switch around though. Be interested to see what the original version of what Snoop wrote looks like in terms of the order of the bars
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    Lol @ eazy wasn't the most talented ? in the world

Lol if you're heard Dre, Cube, and Ren tell stories about Eazy before they all said they literally had to teach Eazy how to rap and he'd record line, by line, by line until he got each line right.
  • bigbird_1
    bigbird_1 Members Posts: 977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eazy-E brought the swagger level of the group up, plus his voice on the track grabbed your attention.
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    after ? , Snoop's style and flow even changed. When DoggFather dropped, I was like someone else wrote Snoop's rhymes on that first LP.

he went from sugar to ? and hasn't even come remotely close to that ? flow since.

low and behold, it was the D.O.C. who put that ? together.

i wonder if they'll have a portrayal of him in the movie. it seems that him and Dre/Cube aren't on the best of terms due to the lack of credit over these 20+ years. but if they can shun Ren and Yella from movie promo, i doubt D.O.C. will get any screen time.
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol at ? shittin on Drake but....ya know what nevamind y'all know where im taking it
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TayGettem wrote: »
    Lol at ? shittin on Drake but....ya know what nevamind y'all know where im taking it

Right.....nigguhs acted like Drake invented ghost writing....lol.
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bigbird_1 wrote: »
    Eazy-E brought the swagger level of the group up, plus his voice on the track grabbed your attention.

He ? on eazy!
  • bigbird_1
    bigbird_1 Members Posts: 977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bigbird_1 wrote: »

He ? on eazy!

Not at all playa. Eazy-E was vital to the group.
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Mally_G wrote: »
    i wonder if they'll have a portrayal of him in the movie. it seems that him and Dre/Cube aren't on the best of terms due to the lack of credit over these 20+ years. but if they can shun Ren and Yella from movie promo, i doubt D.O.C. will get any screen time.

I think thats him far right
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ shouting out himself in G Thang.

he must have a good good selfconfidence
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options

Yea ? dont wanna hear about Ice Cube and Snoop having ghostwriters lol
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ shouting out himself in G Thang.

He shouted himself out in The Next Episode too.....LOL
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    I love his Helter Skelter album

I actually prefer it but everone i tried to put on it said they cant ? with it because his voice was too weird
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    _Goldie_ wrote: »

How the hell ppl didn't know DOC has been writing for Snoop since the beginning is beyond me.
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stew wrote: »

How the hell ppl didn't know DOC has been writing for Snoop since the beginning is beyond me.

I hear you. I thought it was common knowledge that Snoop was the puppet and DOC was the puppet master. Dre figured out how to prolong DOC's career after he lost his voice, which was to use Snoop's voice to spit out DOC's lyrics.

I've always believed that 'Nuthin But A G Thang' would've been Dre & DOC if DOC never lost his voice.......And Snoop's first album would've been for DOC if he still had his voice. I also believe Snoop would have been stuck in his group with Warren G & Nate Dogg if not for DOC's accident.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    J.J._Evans wrote: »
    Stew wrote: »

I hear you. I thought it was common knowledge that Snoop was the puppet and DOC was the puppet master. Dre figured out how to prolong DOC's career after he lost his voice, which was to use Snoop's voice to spit out DOC's lyrics.

I've always believed that 'Nuthin But A G Thang' would've been Dre & DOC if DOC never lost his voice.......And Snoop's first album would've been for DOC if he still had his voice. I also believe Snoop would have been stuck in his group with Warren G & Nate Dogg if not for DOC's accident.

Never know.
  • BeardedFreak
    BeardedFreak Members Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DOC is dope.

But when it comes to any kind of ghostwriting story ? be given and taken away too much credit.

? be talking like Dre, Snoop, drake, etc are illiterate and incapable of coming up with hot bars.

Bottom line, we'll dont know how much help these ? are receiving.

For example, on G thang, DOC could have simply just told snoop start that ? off with "1,2,3 into 4" instead having that line be in the middle of the verse.

As well as rearranging other lines and words so it the sound better. ? acting like snoop was downstairs playing Nintendo waiting for DOC to do everything.

We'll never know
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    DOC is dope.

But when it comes to any kind of ghostwriting story ? be given and taken away too much credit.

? be talking like Dre, Snoop, drake, etc are illiterate and incapable of coming up with hot bars.

Bottom line, we'll dont know how much help these ? are receiving.

For example, on G thang, DOC could have simply just told snoop start that ? off with "1,2,3 into 4" instead having that line be in the middle of the verse.

As well as rearranging other lines and words so it the sound better. ? acting like snoop was downstairs playing Nintendo waiting for DOC to do everything.

We'll never know

Eazy didnt write a word