Name An MC/Rapper More Successful Than Fresh Prince/Will Smith

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm listening to WDAS in Philadelphia. They just played Summertime. I'm listening to this song reminiscing and truth be told, Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince's first two albums were solid 4 mic efforts.

Girls Ain't Nothin But Trouble
Rock The House
The Magnificent Jazzy Jeff
A Touch of Jazz (Remix)
Parents Just Don't Understand
Brand New Funk
As We Go
Live @ Union Square
Summertime

^^^^ Those songs got played in the mix shows circa 87/88 right alongside Public Enemy, Eric B and Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Boogie Down Productions, etc.

Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince won a Grammy in 1988. Their album was good but Eric B and Rakim, Public Enemy, EPMD's albums were better. Nevertheless, they won a Grammy the first year the Grammys had a category for rap.

Then Will Smith played on The Fresh Prince of Bel Air which was highly successful

In the late 90s Will Smith released a solo album Big Willie Style that sold 9X Platinum. These were the singles;

Men In Black
Just The Two Of Us
Getting Jiggy With It
Miami

Will Smith starred in a lot of movies but here's a lil known fact; At one point in time Men in Black and Independence Day were the #1 and #2 selling movies of all time. Then The Star Wars series and Harry Potter came out and outsold Men in Black and Independence Day. But at one point Will Smith starred in the #1 and #2 selling movies of all time.

So somebody name a rapper/MC more successful than Will Smith. I'll wait.

Comments