Jay-Z Almost Ended 2 pac's Career: DJ Clark Kent Reveals Jay-Z Recorded A 2Pac Diss

Options

Comments

• Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    _? _ wrote: »
    I just wanna say.....

I didn't know who Jay-Z was til Hardknock Life

Your most likely not in an area important to hip hop then

False we got BET and MTV just like everybody else. Gasp even radio too. I think I can speak for almost everybody on the westcoast when I say Jay-Z was pretty unknown til he went pop with Hardknock Life.

Bet mtv and radio are the absolute last channel that hip hop reaches you serious, he said bet and mtv lol, you wasn't into rap then bc in 96, can't knock the hustle video was running in every station, In 97, when that movie sprung dropped (movie did well) who had the the soundtrack song ? That video was playin enough for u to catch it. And in New York (the biggest part of hip hop) jay was getting love and it wasn't like now , you actually use to have to work your way up smh

Jay-Z and Rocafella weren't major players on a national level til a awkward space was created due to the deaths of Biggie and Pac. Check the stats. Jay-Z wasn't a factor til around "Feeling It", "Hardknock Life", and "Can I Get A". And look at the dates those came out.

I'm not understanding where you're going with the post. Hard Knock Life was his biggest hit in 98, but you act as if only Biggie and Pac were making hits. Which is a lot of revisionist history and completely false.

Okay.

Show me a Jay-Z song that got spins across the country while 2Pac was alive.

He died in 96 and Jay Z's debut album was in 96 and his album went gold. Also "Ain't No ? " got plenty spins and it wasn't only the single off of Jay's album it was one of the singles off the Nutty Professor soundtrack. Was he a huge star then? No. But he wasn't a complete nobody like some of you are trying to portray. I didn't start listening/following Hip Hop in the early 2000s bruh. Alot of the ? being posted in here his revisionist history skewed facts.

False bro

Mobb Deep had more clout than J
    Nas had more clout than J
    Method Man had more clout than J
    Hell even ODB had more clout than J

I wouldn't go as far as to say he was a nobody, but if it wasn't for living in the east coast media capital, he wouldn't have been much of a factor to the genre in the mid 90's. Pac didn't even go ham on Jay-Z that much besides a basic "? Jay-Z" and a Hawaii Sophie reference. Da Brat and Lil Kim took harder shots from Pac during that time. It took Reasonable Doubt six years to go platinum. That's 2002. That's when Rocafella as a whole was running the game. That's right when he really started becoming "Jigga that ? ". No diss or discredit, but Reasonable Doubt was a regional classic until Jay-Z really got popping and his new fans wanted to go back to his roots.

Umm, I'm not sure where your going with this post. You asked me to tell you a song that got spins while Pac was alive and I gave you one. I already said Jay Z wasn't as big as the other acts and that he wasn't a relatively unknown either. 2002 may have been a peek year for The Roc, but it damn sure wasn't a peek year for Jay as an artist. His peak year was 98 when Hard Knock Life sold 5 million. He hasn't eclisped that mark yet. Also Vol. 1 went platium, so that represents a growth from in fanbase from 96 to 97. I also said Reasonable Doubt only went gold, I'm not sure why you brought up the fact it took six years to go platinum.

I gotta meeting to go to. Ima eat this post for lunch. Lol @ Hov peeking in 98.

• jayvon32
    jayvon32 Members Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm a huge Jay Z fan and to me this is b.s. Let's be objective here.

Clark telling me the ? 2pac who had a whole coast following him, a ? who had damn near every east coast artist coming at him with some decent disses would have been taken down by the artist Jay z who really didn't get traction until around '98, would have taken 2pac down? Really my ? ! Doesn't matter how more lyrical Jay z was, cause 2pac had way more momentual, passion, and clout in the game at that time to brush off whatever lyrical diss Jay z would have thrown his way.

Then the only justification was "we performed it in some east coast club spot and they loved it"

? !!!!!

Of course they would! He's performing a diss song on his turf against a audience who was repping their coast. They would have supported any east coast rapper going at Pac then.

Also if the diss he's talking about is that one release three years ago, can someone please point out the career ending verse, cause I didn't hear it.

Lastly if the ? was that lethal, it would have spread like wildfire, even if it was performed one time cause that's all it takes. Again I'm a Jay z fan all the way, yet I'm objective to know that during that time he couldn't ? with Pac career period. ? confusing lyrics with momentual and hits.
  • optimistic
    optimistic Members Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ? love to take ? too literally.the only mufuckas to take that statement seriously are on the ic. ? be like "Pac served the whole east" Pac Stan to the rescue
    " ? outta here Pac never worked as a waiter"
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why is ? in here debating some ? that NOBODY has said???? Dudes getting all in the Jay hate feelings over thinking ppl are saying Jay could end PACs career when literally nobody has said or argued that he could.... And again anybody who thinks Jay even at his 96 stage in his career could have dropped a diss basically exposing and clowning pac and the ? wouldn't have done nothing and nobody would have paid it any mind was either not born in 96 or was playing with transformers toys becuz to have a east coast rapper at the height of the beef come out and lyrically go back at the bully and it be fire would have been huge
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The wack ass diss record that featured Sauce Money is called Dead or Alive, ? has been leaked for years now.
    Funny how Jay did Me and My Girlfriend and Nas used the ? Jay-Z line from Let's Be Friends on Ether Lol.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Tmz ickis at it again

harveylevin.jpg
  • gemini86
    gemini86 Members Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I just wanna say.....

False we got BET and MTV just like everybody else. Gasp even radio too. I think I can speak for almost everybody on the westcoast when I say Jay-Z was pretty unknown til he went pop with Hardknock Life.

Bet mtv and radio are the absolute last channel that hip hop reaches you serious, he said bet and mtv lol, you wasn't into rap then bc in 96, can't knock the hustle video was running in every station, In 97, when that movie sprung dropped (movie did well) who had the the soundtrack song ? That video was playin enough for u to catch it. And in New York (the biggest part of hip hop) jay was getting love and it wasn't like now , you actually use to have to work your way up smh

Jay-Z and Rocafella weren't major players on a national level til a awkward space was created due to the deaths of Biggie and Pac. Check the stats. Jay-Z wasn't a factor til around "Feeling It", "Hardknock Life", and "Can I Get A". And look at the dates those came out.

I'm not understanding where you're going with the post. Hard Knock Life was his biggest hit in 98, but you act as if only Biggie and Pac were making hits. Which is a lot of revisionist history and completely false.

Okay.

He died in 96 and Jay Z's debut album was in 96 and his album went gold. Also "Ain't No ? " got plenty spins and it wasn't only the single off of Jay's album it was one of the singles off the Nutty Professor soundtrack. Was he a huge star then? No. But he wasn't a complete nobody like some of you are trying to portray. I didn't start listening/following Hip Hop in the early 2000s bruh. Alot of the ? being posted in here his revisionist history skewed facts.

False bro

I wouldn't go as far as to say he was a nobody, but if it wasn't for living in the east coast media capital, he wouldn't have been much of a factor to the genre in the mid 90's. Pac didn't even go ham on Jay-Z that much besides a basic "? Jay-Z" and a Hawaii Sophie reference. Da Brat and Lil Kim took harder shots from Pac during that time. It took Reasonable Doubt six years to go platinum. That's 2002. That's when Rocafella as a whole was running the game. That's right when he really started becoming "Jigga that ? ". No diss or discredit, but Reasonable Doubt was a regional classic until Jay-Z really got popping and his new fans wanted to go back to his roots.

Regardless, Jay Z is infinitely more successful than 2Pac.

Pac is dead man, jay is still alive & accomplishing things

to be honest i dont think jayz has sold as many records as 2pac
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just wanna say.....

Okay.

False bro

O35Go10.jpg
    Bruh you really want to have this convo?

I'll have this convo any day and all day; Jay Z owned his own label, had several multi platinum albums, married Beyonce and at present date is worth $500 million dollars.

2Pac sold a lot of records and starred in several movies. He had a vision, a passion for what he believed in but he died broke while awaiting his appeal trial for ? and ?

Its impossible to make a coherent argument that 2Pac is more successful.
    gemini86 wrote: »
    I just wanna say.....

Okay.

False bro

There's more to success than record sales.
  • Turfaholic
    Options
    I just wanna say.....

Okay.

False bro

Umm, I'm not sure where your going with this post. You asked me to tell you a song that got spins while Pac was alive and I gave you one. I already said Jay Z wasn't as big as the other acts and that he wasn't a relatively unknown either. 2002 may have been a peek year for The Roc, but it damn sure wasn't a peek year for Jay as an artist. His peak year was 98 when Hard Knock Life sold 5 million. He hasn't eclisped that mark yet. Also Vol. 1 went platium, so that represents a growth from in fanbase from 96 to 97. I also said Reasonable Doubt only went gold, I'm not sure why you brought up the fact it took six years to go platinum.

Let's stay on topic here. When Pac was alive, Hov only had Reasonable Doubt to his resume. By the end of 96, RD did 420,000 units sold. Pac dropped All Eyez On Me. A number 1 album which contained 2 number 1 records in "How Do You Want It" & "California Love". He also dropped 7 Day Theory. Another number 1 album that knocked The Beatles out of the top spot. The ? Beatles. 664,000 units in the first week, this is 96 we're talking about. Not the ringtone era when platinum was the standards.
    So we know for sure Jay-Z wasn't even on Pac level in 96. Now The Fugees also dropped a number 1 album in 96. It only took them one year to drop 6 million records. Nas dropped "It was written in 96. 268,000 first week. 2million fans purchased it that year. Now heres one I take personal pride in. E-40 dropped "The Hall Of Game" in 96 and peaked at number 2 on the hip hop/rap charts. E-40 was even hitting higher chart numbers in 96 and that's coming out of a small market area, Jive was decent but it wasn't a Def Jam. And it was technically a independent album with Jive distributing the album. I maybe biased towards that because I'm from the bay and my dad purchased that album and banged it everyday. Radio also played "Players Ball" religously. Outlast dropped ATLiens that year too and debuted at 2 on Billboards top 200. Bro Jay-Z was a little fish in the pond that year. I can almost promise you he wasn't that known outside of the tristate area. But with the support of the tristate area, the DMV, area, and the Philly area you can drop a album and do a Lil work.
  • nineties
    nineties Members Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    hard to believe Jay is actually older than Pac considering how Pac was a celeb like a good 6-7 years before Jay got big. Jay should be the same age as Nas.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    I just wanna say.....

Okay.

False bro

Let's stay on topic here. When Pac was alive, Hov only had Reasonable Doubt to his resume. By the end of 96, RD did 420,000 units sold. Pac dropped All Eyez On Me. A number 1 album which contained 2 number 1 records in "How Do You Want It" & "California Love". He also dropped 7 Day Theory. Another number 1 album that knocked The Beatles out of the top spot. The ? Beatles. 664,000 units in the first week, this is 96 we're talking about. Not the ringtone era when platinum was the standards.
    So we know for sure Jay-Z wasn't even on Pac level in 96. Now The Fugees also dropped a number 1 album in 96. It only took them one year to drop 6 million records. Nas dropped "It was written in 96. 268,000 first week. 2million fans purchased it that year. Now heres one I take personal pride in. E-40 dropped "The Hall Of Game" in 96 and peaked at number 2 on the hip hop/rap charts. E-40 was even hitting higher chart numbers in 96 and that's coming out of a small market area, Jive was decent but it wasn't a Def Jam. And it was technically a independent album with Jive distributing the album. I maybe biased towards that because I'm from the bay and my dad purchased that album and banged it everyday. Radio also played "Players Ball" religously. Outlast dropped ATLiens that year too and debuted at 2 on Billboards top 200. Bro Jay-Z was a little fish in the pond that year. I can almost promise you he wasn't that known outside of the tristate area. But with the support of the tristate area, the DMV, area, and the Philly area you can drop a album and do a Lil work.

What's your point?

2Pac peaked before Jay Z. Everybody knows that.

But when you compare both of their careers when they were at their peak, they're about even. The only difference is that Jay lived to appreciate his success.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just wanna say.....

Okay.

False bro

What was the point of all this?
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5r1zvbnnrelm8w4fyfkqx10ak.320x213x24.gif

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA

MAN I LOVE THESE KINDS OF ? THREADS ....ITS LIKE THERAPY FOR ALL OF THE DUSTY ASS EAST COAST ? TO VENT OUT ALL OF THEIR PENT OF FRUSTRATION RAGE AND RESENTMENT TO PAC FOR THE WAY HE HUMILIATED THEM ? ....

ITS THE SAME ? EVERY TIME

BUT BUT BUT .....PAC WASNT METEOR MAN GUYS .....BUT BUT BUT ....PAC WASNT MAGNETO GUYS .......BUT BUT BUT PAC WASNT MASTER SHREDDER ON THE OOZ GUYS

? ? LMAO ....CRYBABY ASS ? WITH THAT STRAW MAN ? RAMBLING ABOUT A BUNCH OF ? THAT NOBODY GIVES A ? ABOUT

PAC WOULD HAVE KILLED '96 JAYZ FOR NUMEROUS REASONS .......YO B ALL THESE DUSTY ASS EAST COAST ? TELLING YOU OTHERWISE BEEN WEARING THEM ? ASS SKULLYCAPS TOO TIGHT SON ....WORD TO ? GAWD ....
  • Turfaholic
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I just wanna say.....

Okay.

False bro

What's your point?

But when you compare both of their careers when they were at their peak, they're about even. The only difference is that Jay lived to appreciate his success.

Uh no. Jay was blessed to live in the bling bling era. Project Pat did numbers. Chingy did numbers. Nelly did numbers. Souljah Boy did numbers. When the bling bling and ringtone rap eras started to reside, so did Hov. From Kingdom Come, to BP3, and MCHG.
  • Turfaholic
    Options
    I just wanna say.....

Okay.

False bro

Simply enough, Jay-Z wasn't ? til the south got hot
    q474M4R.jpg
  • gemini86
    Options
    I just wanna say.....

Okay.

False bro

O35Go10.jpg
    Bruh you really want to have this convo?

I'll have this convo any day and all day; Jay Z owned his own label, had several multi platinum albums, married Beyonce and at present date is worth $500 million dollars.

2Pac sold a lot of records and starred in several movies. He had a vision, a passion for what he believed in but he died broke while awaiting his appeal trial for ? and ?

Its impossible to make a coherent argument that 2Pac is more successful.
    gemini86 wrote: »
    I just wanna say.....

Okay.

False bro

There's more to success than record sales.

shut the ? up. so u use that excuse for jay but not 50 right. u a wack clown
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    I just wanna say.....

Okay.

False bro

What's your point?

Uh no. Jay was blessed to live in the bling bling era. Project Pat did numbers. Chingy did numbers. Nelly did numbers. Souljah Boy did numbers. When the bling bling and ringtone rap eras started to reside, so did Hov. From Kingdom Come, to BP3, and MCHG.

Are you saying that Jay Z's popularity dropped?

Because Jay Z still does stadium tours and 2Pac doesn't do anything.
  • Turfaholic
    Options
    I just wanna say.....

Okay.

False bro

What's your point?

Are you saying that Jay Z's popularity dropped?

Because Jay Z still does stadium tours and 2Pac doesn't do anything.

Lol bro Pac hologram built more buzz than anything Jay-Z has done WITHOUT Beyonce.

Is that a world tour? Or is that your girls tour?
  • Turfaholic
    Options
    Lol I guess 2pac ashes supposed to reanimate and drop a track with Future for ? to accept defeat.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just wanna say.....

Okay.

False bro

q474M4R.jpg

OK, so when the attention of Hip Hop collectively shifts from the east coast to down south, an east coast artist becomes one of the most recognizable, commercially successful artists in Hip Hop during an era of down south dominance and that somehow is supposed to be detrimental to Jay Z? OK bro.

I know I should have stayed my ass in the cheap seats.
  • gemini86
    Options
    I just wanna say.....

Okay.

False bro

q474M4R.jpg

OK, so when the attention of Hip Hop collectively shifts from the east coast to down south, an east coast artist becomes one of the most recognizable, commercially successful artists in Hip Hop during an era of down south dominance and that somehow is supposed to be detrimental to Jay Z? OK bro.

no jay just rides the waves of other peoples buzz. he has done this his whole career. and hes even doing it with beyonce now. jay has never had his own wave. he always had biggie, dmx, ruff ryders, lil wayne, drake, rick ross, and etc.... no hate but its true
  • gemini86
    Options
    oh and kanye too lol
  • Turfaholic
    Options
    I just wanna say.....

Okay.

False bro

q474M4R.jpg

Bro when the East/ West died with Pacs death the East wasn't on top. ? was not making music that people out the tristate, Philly, DMV, and partially North Carolina was bumping. Minus Bad Boy and Diddy. No diss to the south but Jay stated himself he dumbed down his music for sales. He got off being lyrical and hopped in Porsches with Jermaine Dupri. And got on his money cash hoes ? . And this pretty much stands by my very original statement. I didn't know Jay-Z till he switched up his flow and beat selection and dropped Hardknock Life.
  • 5 Grand
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I just wanna say.....

Okay.

False bro

q474M4R.jpg

Bro when the East/ West died with Pacs death the East wasn't on top. ? was not making music that people out the tristate, Philly, DMV, and partially North Carolina was bumping. Minus Bad Boy and Diddy. No diss to the south but Jay stated himself he dumbed down his music for sales. He got off being lyrical and hopped in Porsches with Jermaine Dupri. And got on his money cash hoes ? . And this pretty much stands by my very original statement. I didn't know Jay-Z till he switched up his flow and beat selection and dropped Hardknock Life.

Why don't Bad Boy and Diddy count?

According to the RIAA, in 1997, Bad Boy sold over 30 million records in the U.S. alone;

Can’t Nobody Hold Me Down (single) – Puff Daddy & Ma$e 4X Platinum

Hypnotize (single) – Notorious B.I.G. – Platinum

I’ll Be Missing You (single) – Puff Daddy & The Family – 3X Platinum

Its All About The Benjamins (single) – Puff Daddy & The Family - Platinum

Been Around The World (single) – Puff Daddy & The Family– 2X Platinum

Life After Death (album) – Notorious B.I.G. 10X Platinum

No Way Out (album) – Puff Daddy & The Family – 7X Platinum

Harlem World (album) – Ma$e – 4X Platinum

Can we all agree that its complete ? to say, "when the East/ West died with Pacs death the East wasn't on top. ? was not making music that people out the tristate, Philly, DMV, and partially North Carolina was bumping"

Bad Boy had the most successful year in the history of Hip Hop. I doubt if any label sold that many records in one year. Without doing a google search, I doubt neither Death Row or No Limit ever sold that many records in one year.
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Revisionist history like a muthafucka SMMFH. First off Jay-Z was NOT a big artist in 96, he was lower tier at that point. He could have dropped a diss and it would have fallen on deaf ears behind the Chino XL, Lil Kim, Mobb Deep, Ryan G, and other wack ass disses (shoot me Jayhova Witnesses, yall prolly wasn't even old enough to know what was going on at the time Pac was HUGE). Jay couldn't even ? NaS' career on wax so FOH about him killing Pac's career.

Lol cuz pac isn't nearly as gifted lyrically as Nas lol