Name some artists whose first albums flopped but they picked themselves up, dusted themselves off

Options

Comments

• YapatnaJB
    YapatnaJB Members Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hold on, so RD sold 500k in 3 months & then it took another 6 years to sell 500k more?
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    Curiosity of the RIAA site the ones officially who ACTUALLY determine the plaques...

Reasonable Doubt
    Release Date: June 1, 1996 (we know it was later in June but that's how they put it on the site)
    Certification Date: September 18, 1996
    Award Description: Gold

Again I'm not getting how it was a flop besides the "it wasn't ringing from every corner I know so it's a flop" but somebody has to tell me when did gold in 3 months on your debut joint become a flop??? This ain't just for Jay this is for any rapper how can a album have that quick of success in the first couple months but be considered a flop??? That literally doesn't make any sense to be completely honest....its like ? basically saying since it didn't go multi plat out the gate and be the biggest thing in the streets it was a flop but I always thought a flop was when something underachieved not over achieved *shrugs*

Considering that his peers were selling multiple times platinum and had albums with bigger cultural impact at the time it was considered a flop. Jay-Z said himself in his book his first album wasn't a commercial success but he didn't care he kept pushing. Onyx, Mr.Cheeks/Lost Boys, they went gold too, so did Jeff Redd, Cam'ron, Supercat, DJ Quik etc. I know yall are fans but this is revisionist history because looking back TODAY you can say that but when they came out they weren't hot ? or in high demand like that. No one saw Jay-Z coming it wasn't until 99ish people started to take notice.

That album got 4 mics out the Source and when you consider - OB4CL, Ghostface Killah, Wu-Tang Clan, Nas, 2Pac, Biggie, Ice Cube, Ice T, Snoop Dogg, LL Cool J, Redman, Warren G etc. it's easy to see WHY he was overlooked when he dropped.

So it is basically what I said....since his album wasn't multi plat it was a flop???? What kinda debut bar set is that??? If that's the bar that's set for debut albums you gotta be going multi plat or its a flop then the better question should be how many rappers debuts DIDN'T flop becuz saying "yea it went gold in 3 months but it wasn't doing multi plat like the big name rappers at the time so it's a flop" you can say that bout damn near EVERYBODY debuts besides a few rare cases like Snoop and 50
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lmao will you stop ? crying about jay-z already?
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Curiosity of the RIAA site the ones officially who ACTUALLY determine the plaques...

Reasonable Doubt
    Release Date: June 1, 1996 (we know it was later in June but that's how they put it on the site)

Again I'm not getting how it was a flop besides the "it wasn't ringing from every corner I know so it's a flop" but somebody has to tell me when did gold in 3 months on your debut joint become a flop??? This ain't just for Jay this is for any rapper how can a album have that quick of success in the first couple months but be considered a flop??? That literally doesn't make any sense to be completely honest....its like ? basically saying since it didn't go multi plat out the gate and be the biggest thing in the streets it was a flop but I always thought a flop was when something underachieved not over achieved *shrugs*

Considering that his peers were selling multiple times platinum and had albums with bigger cultural impact at the time it was considered a flop. Jay-Z said himself in his book his first album wasn't a commercial success but he didn't care he kept pushing. Onyx, Mr.Cheeks/Lost Boys, they went gold too, so did Jeff Redd, Cam'ron, Supercat, DJ Quik etc. I know yall are fans but this is revisionist history because looking back TODAY you can say that but when they came out they weren't hot ? or in high demand like that. No one saw Jay-Z coming it wasn't until 99ish people started to take notice.

That album got 4 mics out the Source and when you consider - OB4CL, Ghostface Killah, Wu-Tang Clan, Nas, 2Pac, Biggie, Ice Cube, Ice T, Snoop Dogg, LL Cool J, Redman, Warren G etc. it's easy to see WHY he was overlooked when he dropped.

So it is basically what I said....since his album wasn't multi plat it was a flop???? What kinda debut bar set is that??? If that's the bar that's set for debut albums you gotta be going multi plat or its a flop then the better question should be how many rappers debuts DIDN'T flop becuz saying "yea it went gold in 3 months but it wasn't doing multi plat like the big name rappers at the time so it's a flop" you can say that bout damn near EVERYBODY debuts besides a few rare cases like Snoop and 50

Everything is context homie. What's gold to triple platinum.
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Reasonable Doubt

Cuz, Jay-Z himself said that Reasonable Doubt wasn't recognized. I just posted the song of him saying it.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • GetoBoy
    edited August 2015
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    lmao will you stop ? crying about jay-z already?

This ain't a Jay thing again this is a common sense thing..... Show me a rapper EVER that went gold in the first couple months on his debut and you would call it a flop I can promise you that you won't find any.....idgaf if the rapper was riff raff I would still be on here making the same case......but if you or anybody can show me a album that went gold in its first couple months but was a flop I'd concede that your right..... but I doubt you'd find one lol
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dj pre-k wrote: »
    Juvenile's Solja Rags was a commercial flop

That was Juve's first album on Cash Money but his very first album was Being Myself off of Warlock Records.
  • moyo
    moyo Members Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _Lefty wrote: »
    Reasonable doubt didn't exist in the world of east coast/west coast beef, it was totally overshadowed. It did decent numbers(gold in a year was light when pirating didn't really exist), but pac died 3 months to the day after it's release. Jay ain't have no breathing room. I knew Jay-Z existed, but after pac died it was a wrap for him blossomin off that, all ? cared about was pac, and was damn near countin down to when BIG was gonna die because it was kinda in the air, I can't explain it, it just was. When he came with the next album he started to buzz way more because there wasn't as much clutter BIG had been gone 8 months and there was room to breathe and maneuver. I wouldn't call RD a flop, it just came at a very unfortunate time. Death sells better than substance.
    I was a freshman in high school at the time, and I understand exactly what ur saying. After Pac got killed it was almost kinda inevitable that BIG's days were numbered. When BIG died it was a shock but not necessarily a surprise.
  • phukkyou2
    phukkyou2 Members Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I tried to come in before Sion did and say this but....... who wasn't going Gold and Platinum back in the day? It wasn't exactly a huge accomplishment

It's almost as if if you didn't go atleast Gold you was a flop...... AND REALLY.... if you only went Gold you were a Flop. Gold was Flop Numbers back in the day. Especially if you were associated with Big Names.

You really think if Tha Dogg Pound went Gold in 95'/96' people wouldn't have called them Flops? lol. Them dudes went Double or Triple Platinum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d0lvvhVOJ0
  • SneakDZA
    Options

Reasonable Doubt

Look man I understand you're the biggest supporter of dude on here but in context to the names I mentioned Hov wasn't really recognized until IML3 late 98-99, that's the truth. Everybody was going gold back then ? even Case went gold, Jay wasn't as recognized because he was independent. That was also when Jay said he regretted album 2 when he had Puff executive produce it because he was trying to land hit records.

People came to give Jay-Z his props AFTER he became a household name on that third and fourth album. Illmatic went gold 6 months later but it didn't go platinum till 2001. The label told him on his second album they wanted hit records hence why IWW was marketed heavier.

The theme of this thread is artists who flopped early and had to dust themselves off, don't let me up "Hawaiian Sophie" and some of his early early stuff where they said "he rapped too fast !" Man I respect Hov because he could have been like a flash in the pan but he really worked hard to prove himself.

That's what I'm saying. Jay could be the king of this thread but this guy is too sensitive to accept that the Jay-Z we all know nowadays was just one great rapper out of many during that time and his career could have easily been sidelined if he didn't persevere.

96 was a great year but also a tough year to be a dope MC - there was a lot going on. Jay dropped a dope album biut it got lost in the shuffle for a while.
  • GetoBoy
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Still yet to see anybody name one other album that has gone gold in the first couple months no matter the time or era that you'd consider a flop I mean CLEARLY RD can't be the only album that has fell victim to this now is it??? I mean every other artist that's been named as examples of flops first albums really didn't sell ? so was RD that only album to fall victim to the gold is still a flop theory??? I guess so *kanye shrug*....but ok I'll let you cook becuz if you don't just agree with somebody's point about a artists then your automatically a Stan of said artists round here but I'll check back to see if any other examples of gold debuts after only a couple months that are considered flops have been dropped..... Doubt it but we'll see
  • SneakDZA
    Options
    you are hilarious.
  • dj pre-k
    dj pre-k Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jee504 wrote: »
    dj pre-k wrote: »
    Juvenile's Solja Rags was a commercial flop

That was Juve's first album on Cash Money but his very first album was Being Myself off of Warlock Records.

yeah i wasnt sure if that was wide release

so Juve didnt really hit til his 3rd
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
  • GetoBoy
    Options
    you are hilarious.

And you still have no answer lol
  • GetoBoy
    edited August 2015
    Options

Reasonable Doubt

Look man I understand you're the biggest supporter of dude on here but in context to the names I mentioned Hov wasn't really recognized until IML3 late 98-99, that's the truth. Everybody was going gold back then ? even Case went gold, Jay wasn't as recognized because he was independent. That was also when Jay said he regretted album 2 when he had Puff executive produce it because he was trying to land hit records.

People came to give Jay-Z his props AFTER he became a household name on that third and fourth album. Illmatic went gold 6 months later but it didn't go platinum till 2001. The label told him on his second album they wanted hit records hence why IWW was marketed heavier.

The theme of this thread is artists who flopped early and had to dust themselves off, don't let me up "Hawaiian Sophie" and some of his early early stuff where they said "he rapped too fast !" Man I respect Hov because he could have been like a flash in the pan but he really worked hard to prove himself.

That's what I'm saying. Jay could be the king of this thread but this guy is too sensitive to accept that the Jay-Z we all know nowadays was just one great rapper out of many during that time and his career could have easily been sidelined if he didn't persevere.

96 was a great year but also a tough year to be a dope MC - there was a lot going on. Jay dropped a dope album biut it got lost in the shuffle for a while.

Where in any of my replies to you see me showing sensitivity??? A statement was made I didn't agree with the statement and replied accordingly and have only replied when I've been addressed???? What I'm too sensitive becuz I don't just roll over for you and your opinions and just say you're right when I believe you're wrong??? I can tell some of y'all probably hate when yo chick talk back to you ? think you suppose to just shut up and agree with them even in a debate forum meant for debate smh
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Shenco...........

He flopped with his first album, but picked himself up, dusted himself off

And came back to proudly succeeding and claiming

the biggest L ever for a album on the IC

I'm proud of you dawg for getting the GOAT L ever, who knew you had it in you to beat Bruse Wane for biggest L?
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Reasonable Doubt

Stop Tryna make sense to these ? . They mind already made up. ? the facts
  • GetoBoy
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Still yet to see anybody name one other album that has gone gold in the first couple months no matter the time or era that you'd consider a flop I mean CLEARLY RD can't be the only album that has fell victim to this now is it??? I mean every other artist that's been named as examples of flops first albums really didn't sell ? so was RD that only album to fall victim to the gold is still a flop theory??? I guess so *kanye shrug*....but ok I'll let you cook becuz if you don't just agree with somebody's point about a artists then your automatically a Stan of said artists round here but I'll check back to see if any other examples of gold debuts after only a couple months that are considered flops have been dropped..... Doubt it but we'll see

The standards were diff't back then, everybody was going gold or platinum - ? Marky Mark Whalberg went multiplat, like I said you're using revisionist history, using the standards of today to explain a point from the past. The proof s in the pudding - again we're not discrediting Jay-Z, he became successful but his first album wasn't a big hit and it didn't put him in the conversation between Wu-Tang/Method Man, 2pac, Biggie, Snoop/Dre, Ice Cube, ATCQ, Ice T, MC Hammer etc. he had to dust himself off, FIND himself and make himself a household name and it took years.

Oh and to answer your question: NaS, Lost Boyz, Onyx, AZ, Cam'ron, Redman, E-40, Warren G, The Luniz, Keith Murray, Busta Rhymes (who went platinum before Hov mind you), De La Soul, Brand Nubian, Foxy Brown (matter of fact, he put her on and she went platinum in the same year BEFORE Jay-Z did), Mc Eiht, DaBrat, etc. all artists who went gold within a few months (some in less than 3 months). Now you telling me Jay-Z clearly stood out and that off of RD we could have been able to determine if Jay would have surpassed ALL those people ? It was a longshot & he proved everyone wrong. Nobody discrediting Hov but he fits the thread.

Now of all those artist you just named tell me who's album would you consider a flop??? You're contradicting yourself and don't even see it.... You're saying Jay wasn't a big star back then so he wasn't known back then like he is today BUT you're judging his debut album on the scale of big name rappers which you have already said he wasn't..... Does that make sense??? It's safe to say that the numbers at Jay did with RD in the first couple months was a over achievement for a rapper who everybody is saying was damn near a nobody so if he came out the gate and over achieved with the success that wasn't even expected from him at that time then how is that a flop??? If in 96 nobody was checking for RD or Jay like that then wouldn't the fact that his album did something not expected be an over achievement??? Again your judging Jay on big and Pac level of success but at the same time saying he wasn't on big and Pac level so if that's the case then how could you expected the same kinda success then call it a flop if he didn't reach it??? I don't think that makes much sense

Again your taking an argument and tryna change it to fit a point I never even tried to make...no where did I say Jay was on the ? going multi plat level I just said RD wasn't a flop when you really break down what a flop is...you just gave a list of albums that went gold now tell me which of those would you consider a flop becuz I don't see one in there
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    I actually liked t.I I'm serious album

I ? with that song "Im Serious" feat Beenie Man
  • GetoBoy
    edited August 2015
    Options

Reasonable Doubt

Where in any of my replies to you see me showing sensitivity??? A statement was made I didn't agree with the statement and replied accordingly and have only replied when I've been addressed???? What I'm too sensitive becuz I don't just roll over for you and your opinions and just say you're right when I believe you're wrong??? I can tell some of y'all probably hate when yo chick talk back to you ? think you suppose to just shut up and agree with them even in a debate forum meant for debate smh

You're being subjective due to stannism -_-*..... All we're trying to say was that Jay-Z was maaaaddd underrated and he had to persevere to make a name for himself. It's great he went gold off his first album but so did many artists in the mid 90s. The standards were higher back then (tell me I'm lying) especially when you had PE, ATCQ and conscious Hip-Hop going multi-plat, he could have been a flash in the pan especially when you consider he wasn't even signed to a major he was independent and they said he was crazy to do that. Eventually Jay got to multiplatinum later but his first album didn't put him in that convo immediately he had to put in work. The standards are much lower today b/c albums dont sell now, that's why the "he went gold" argument seems like a valid one - OK but it doesn't excuse him from the debate. Your problem is that you'll completely overlook that fact and defend Jay-Z regardless, which is subjectivity and not good grounds for an objective and intelligent debate. It's like a mother finding out her son is a serial killer on CNN and not believing it despite the proof being apparent. That's a common intellectual mistake.

I remember when ? were ? on J.Cole for not selling like Drake or Lil Wayne despite having come first ahead of Drake and with Jay-Z as his boss. And ? was saying Jay first album wasn't a huge success either and that him, NaS and even 2Pac had to work their way up so why was Cole being hated on.

You're problem is you're trying to take Jay-Z out of the conversation by saying he shouldn't be in it because he went gold - but so did the Luniz, AZ, Redman, Foxy Brown, Lost Boyz, etc. ? Coolio went multiplatinum, MC Hammer was going diamond, Biggie sold 5x plat on his debut, 2Pac first album was considered a dud, it wasn't until his second album (and Thug Life) when ppl began paying attention along with his controversies and movies. I'm sure Jay-Z and Dame Dash didn't think they "made it" otherwise we may not have gotten 16+ albums. The rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield, hindsight is 20/20.

Maybe we have a different definition of flop....so explain to me what your definition of "flop" is??? And here we go with the weak " you don't agree with me becuz you're a Jay Stan" ? on the IC love to use when 2 ppl don't agree as is it's impossible for 2 ppl to just not agree smh.... You gave a list of rappers that went gold none of them do I think are flops either am I a stan of all them too??? Who of them would you consider their first album.a flop???
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How the ? is going gold with two gold singles considered a "flop" ....lmaooooooooo .....especially for Jay-Z being essentially an independent artist at the time ...this was before the Def Jam deal.... he had distribution thru Priority records but there was no machine behind that record ......

I mean ? could have at least been reasonable with there ? and just said oh yeah Jay wasn't as big on his first record or he was overlooked ....BUT NO ...straight to the hyperbole ..."IT flopped"

Lmaooooooooooooo ? IC ? ....primarily NASTIALITES in here with that Classic Kufi logic once again
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    And if we going by dumb ? IC standards than we need to go ahead and put Ghostface Killah first album IronMan right up there baby ...? barley went gold MONTHS after its release and didn't even go platinum til damn near 10year s later ....? got over looked by his own crew member Rae ....who EVERYBODY was feeling more back then #factsonly .....source only gave it 4 mics and it had the biggest L of them all by putting wack ass Cappadonna on the cover cleaning wallabees...

I herby claim ......by the power of dumb ? IC Logic GFK's - IRONMAN a 5 star grade A Le'Brick James quality

jamesflop_medium.gif

Figgy Figgy FLOP
  • GetoBoy
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Again with the Jayhova witness rant......you ? sound like a bunch of lil kids where whenever someone says something your reply is "I know you are but what am I"..... Luniz and mc eiht or any of those other names you mentioned went gold in the same amount of time and I don't consider any of those albums flops everything that doesn't cause you to be a mega superstar ain't a damn flop.....so replace Jay name with any one of them and my argument is gonna be the same.... The only person stuck on this being a Jay thing are the ppl judging it differently solely becuz it's Jay......I've still yet to have a person give me ONE name of a artist who did these numbers in that timeframe and they consider it a flop which lets me know this is solely about Jay to y'all and you aren't even being objective yourself.....

Lmao @ oh you don't agree that RD was a flop becuz you're a Jayhova witness gawd is that everybody go to reply for anybody that doesn't agree with a anti Jay post??? Bruh gave a list of 16 rappers that's did what Jay did and I ask ok which one of them would you consider a flop and the reply I get is Jay didn't blow up off RD so you're just a crazy Jayhova witness??? Ummmm ooooook smh