Does Hip-Hop Drive Negative Stereotypes of Black Men?

Options

Comments

• Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Negative stereotypes are dangerous because they can be internalized, panelists warned.

lol too many dumb ? would rather set themselves on fire than admit this
    Just like how Hip-Hop is a sexist, and anti-black female culture

Hey, come on now. Hip-Hop is equally misogynistic to ? of all races, religions, and ethnic backgrounds.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    the US government killed MLK and sold drugs in to the hood, but U know who really ? ? up?
    Schooly D...
    Kids have poor educational opportunities because of rock n roll... I mean rap...
    If not for for the Sugar Hill Gang, we'd be regarded as 5/5 of a man instead of 3/5...

You're a ? idiot. But two points:

1. Hip hop can be a problem without it being the case that segregation, discrimination, poor schools, etc. are not problems.

2. No one is suggesting that but for hip hop white people would love us -- not now, and especially not in the past.

Got it now, you ? dumb-ass?

And to think that they say your dumb-ass is a teacher. No way would I allow you near my child in a teaching capacity, if I had one.

Now ? off, you idiot. You have nothing at all of any substance to contribute to these conversations.
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some does, some doesn't.
  • BrazilianHairMoney
    BrazilianHairMoney Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hip hop is negative period. The streets are more positive than hip hop
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the US government killed MLK and sold drugs in to the hood, but U know who really ? ? up?
    Schooly D...
    Kids have poor educational opportunities because of rock n roll... I mean rap...
    If not for for the Sugar Hill Gang, we'd be regarded as 5/5 of a man instead of 3/5...

Yea so negative ? rap has NO effect on young impressionable kids? hahaha! Yo i saw the effects that ? had on the fatherless; a rappers voice meant more to them than their own teachers. Now there are many factors that are to blame; weak family units, poor educational environments, unhealthy food choices being readily available, etc I can go on but I'm preaching to the choir. But let's not front that a self destructive poisonous ? rap mentality doesn't help play a role on how this kids act and think.
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hip hop out here killing our babies!
    Kool Herc should be in prison for crimes against humanity!
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hip hop out here killing our babies!
    Kool Herc should be in prison for crimes against humanity!

Your an old head to continue bringing up a bunch of old school mfs, your clearly out of touch it's ok bro you moved out from the hood years ago.
  • Brother_Five
    Options
    Kendrick Lamar is ruining the community!
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And of course another thing is the fact that crime rates, drop out rates, etc have been historically low among young black people the last several years. Not perfect but improvements nontheless. Regardless of rap music "influence". Also college enrollment is up too. So again people who want to stereotype will find a reason regardless which is why I dont worry about them.
  • Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can clearly elucidate your thoughts, why don't you for once do that? For every Kendrick Lamar, there are 2 idiots who negatively drive the stereotypes associated with hiphop. We get it, there are far more pressing agents suppressing the community but the OP and others have a point, especially if you continue with halfwit answers.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some of y'all aren't really answering the question being asked. Regardless of if it's justified, accurate or right, it's pretty clear that hip hop drives a lot of negative stereotypes.
  • mryounggun
    Options
    Also, the IC would be so much more fun if the was a '? ' button.
  • Brother_Five
    Options
    I'm with u guys... we should burn down the record labels... ban all gangsta rap... then and only then will white ppl like us...
    all blacks should be forced to wear sweater vests and nonthreatening afros to appease white citizens.. this is the path towards true liberation my brothers...
  • Noble Al Lee
    Noble Al Lee Members Posts: 914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For the rest of this thread your name is brother_strawman. You're literally attacking a point that no one is arguing.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    if you're a reader of vintage blk literature, then u would know, a Majority of these stereotypes of black men, were already in existence prior to hiphop.
    hip hop is just the current platform used to reinforce these old stereo types such as; black men, and women as hyper sexual, black man as brutes, criminals, uneducated, wild , savages, bafoons,childish, vulnerable, effeminate, senseless.... etc etc.
    the movie Bamboozled covers this.

lmao @ hiphop being anti blk women. blk women are anti blk women , the average blk woman hate her self something serious, and as a result hates other blk women as well.
  • Brother_Five
    Options
    but I'm agreeing with u guys... hip hop is ruining our image... white ppl don't like us because young Thug wears a dress, guys...
    smart intelligent white ppl who would otherwise view us as equals can't do that because Rick Ross has a scary beard.
    you have young black men and women pursuing graduate degrees in record numbers, but hip hop is stealing their shine.
    I used to think rap was just entertainment, like rock and roll, country music, and mafia movies... I know better now.
    other races are far more advanced than the blacks and therefore do not succumb to the influences of media in the same way...
    so what should we do about it guys?
  • A Talented One
    Options
    Rasta. wrote: »

You can clearly elucidate your thoughts, why don't you for once do that? For every Kendrick Lamar, there are 2 idiots who negatively drive the stereotypes associated with hiphop. We get it, there are far more pressing agents suppressing the community but the OP and others have a point, especially if you continue with halfwit answers.
    For the rest of this thread your name is brother_strawman. You're literally attacking a point that no one is arguing.

This guy is 3rd Eye Blind/Metaconscious, and he does the exact same thing every time this topic comes up. And when you try to explain that what he is saying responds to a straw man (e.g. no one is saying that if hip hop is a problem then racism is not a problem), he just continues doing the same thing. Glad to see other people calling him out on it though.
  • Brother_Five
    Options
    y'all are saying that hip hop scares white ppl... just like Jazz used to... i get it... i agree... why are u mad my brothers?
  • A Talented One
    Options
    y'all are saying that hip hop scares white ppl... just like Jazz used to... i get it... i agree... why are u mad my brothers?

You ? dumb-ass. As I mentioned repeatedly on the first page, the article I posted is about how black people can internalize the stereotypes disseminated by hip hop. That doesn't have anything to do with white people. (That said, hip hop also reinforces whites' stereotypes, but this is a separate issue.)
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Criminally slept on post.
  • Brother_Five
    edited August 2015
    Options

You ? dumb-ass. As I mentioned repeatedly on the first page, the article I posted is about how black people can internalize the stereotypes disseminated by hip hop. That doesn't have anything to do with white people. (That said, hip hop also reinforces whites' stereotypes, but this is a separate issue.)

my brother, I agree... I used to think I was Big Meech... i no longer indulge in this poison...
    as blacks we are unable to enjoy entertainment without internalizing whats on the radio/screen...
    remember when the Cosby show was on and everyone wanted to be doctors and lawyers and live in a Brownstone in BK?
    now kids want to know Noriega, the real Noriega (the guy who worked for our government)...
  • mryounggun
    Options
    Meester wrote: »

Criminally slept on post.

No it's not.
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Yes, it does but black American culture in general. I experienced this a lot, as well as my husband when we travel outside of the country. As black Americans most expected us to be what they see in Hip-Hop videos, as most have never met a black person before, never had any interaction with them outside of what they see on TV. So what they see in Hip-Hop is all their is to black culture. My husband had to set many straight in our travels who would come up to him saying "What up my ? ?" However, when you mention this black people don't like it, they say you're trolling, but its the truth. Just like how Hip-Hop is a sexist, and anti-black female culture, but no one wants to address these things, when you do they say you're trolling, but its whatever.

Ive experienced this more in America than abroad

Not gonna say hip hop wasnt or
    isnt a reference point for us among black people abroad but it goes beyond that. Our political figures, cuisine,literature , religious celebrations , music beyond hip hop etc have permeated the world much more effectively than it has here. In america if u arent an entertainer or a criminal, u pretty much dont exist as far as the media is concermed.

? , for example they had Gunplay Don Logan on espfuckin n talkin about robbin ppl. U got a rapper on a sports network talkin.about criminal exploits. Thsts MUCH more of a fittin metaphor of our national perception than international. Think abt thsy

Were much more than that abroad...

And i dont even take you seriously, i wanted to throw that on the table for those who aint in the know who may absorb this post
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    And the seriousness of this discussion depends on your idea of stereotypes and their effectiveness

This is a dangerous topic for black Americans if not presented properly

I say all that to say, rather or not white people look at you and smile with "approval" or "acceptance" , that ? wont have any bearing on tge welfare of your life, your childrens life, your grandchildren life etc. if this is about the imagery within im all for it, if its beyond, ? this ? . Thats like the grandest distraction among black people

(quotations because we have very unique and skewed interpretations of tge idea of acceptance and approval...and even equality)