How Come Younger/Newer MCs Don't Have Old School MCs Featured On Their Albums?

Options

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Labels have to okay features i believe and labels dont really ? with OGs like that
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If with the exception of Kendrick, Drake, J Cole, Big Sean and possibly T.I., Ross, and Jeezy, why would one of these non lyrical flowless dudes have somebody that will clearly murder them their own track. Imagine Redman on a song with Future or 2Chainz. That ? would be wack ? . It's the equivalent to putting Curry on the court with bunch of middle schoolers. The ? would look absolutely ridiculous and why you saying "why?" You also have to question do these new dudes even know who the guys you mentioned are.
  • optimistic
    optimistic Members Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _Goldie_ wrote: »
    Most of the mfs he named dont even rap anymore, BDK hasnt dropped an album since 98, Kool Moe Dee aint drop an album since 94.........94! Gtfoh with that ? .

Just saw both of these cats 3 weeks ago
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Plan and simple... Rap fans in general dont care about the old school

I just made a thread about a new song Slick Rick was featured on and it got zero

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/535200/slick-rick-featured-on-new-track-who-u-by-dynas-tony-galvin-music-video
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    optimistic wrote: »
    Most of the mfs he named dont even rap anymore, BDK hasnt dropped an album since 98, Kool Moe Dee aint drop an album since 94.........94! Gtfoh with that ? .

Just saw both of these cats 3 weeks ago

Last I heard, Kool Moe Dee was a bellman at the Marriot
  • murdap
    murdap Members Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭
    Options
    If with the exception of Kendrick, Drake, J Cole, Big Sean and possibly T.I., Ross, and Jeezy, why would one of these non lyrical flowless dudes have somebody that will clearly murder them their own track. Imagine Redman on a song with Future or 2Chainz. That ? would be wack ? . It's the equivalent to putting Curry on the court with bunch of middle schoolers. The ? would look absolutely ridiculous and why you saying "why?" You also have to question do these new dudes even know who the guys you mentioned are.

Quit hatin everybody know 2 chainz future and funk doc on a track together would be what the streets need right now and thats that musical piff to ride out to.

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Plan and simple... Rap fans in general dont care about the old school

I just made a thread about a new song Slick Rick was featured on and it got zero

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/535200/slick-rick-featured-on-new-track-who-u-by-dynas-tony-galvin-music-video

just cuz it got no traffic on here doesnt necessarily mean bolded.
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    There has been plenty of old school cats on young guys slbums, wtf I'd this thread even saying.
    Dudes around from.pre 1995 on modern day youngsters albums is long, everyone from asap to action to wiz to asap again to kendrick to cole to krit to future to whoever the ?
    Plenty I haven't even named

Ferg even put shabba ranx on a joint
  • dj pre-k
    dj pre-k Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    schoolboy q put suga free on a track
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sadly, that's just the way these artists all are.

Even Nas, who put out Hip Hop Is Dead - an entire album basically lamenting that rappers need to respect the old school and learn from the originators of this ? , didn't have a single feature from an old school artists on his album.

That album was all about "where's Easy Mo Bee? where's Kool Moe Dee? where's Busy Bee?" But where were they, Nas? They weren't on your damn album.

ALL rappers talk a good game when it comes to respecting the older generations, but no one...not even your favourite artists, will put those artists on if it doesn't mean more dollars lining their own pockets.

Artists aren't even sampling rappers' voices like they did before, so these same old school artists aren't even eating off sample credits anymore.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    yea but ? just provided a thread full of examples of younger cats showing love.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited September 2015
    Options
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://youtu.be/RFI-M8kB-IQ

I dunno about y'all region, but uh....
  • _God_
    _God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    murdap wrote: »
    Nobody wants no old washed up new york rappers on a track. Let them young boys eat them old heads done had they time to shine.

New Atlanta >>>> New east and west coast rappers.

New Atlanta ? Future not new Atlanta fam ? been since 2000, n rich homie n thug got talent but wat else seriously, u Rodin around listening to Jose guapo? New atl is the reason the spotlight has moved on from the south
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kanye has jay on his albums, and he been around since 87

I mean 1937, my bad

JayZ.jpg

/thread

The best rap.. lyrics and production wise came in the 90's imo...so don't embarrass ya self by talking crazy about the 90's..as a rap fan now if these new ? got you to be a fan of their music, then pac,big,nas,dr.dre n snoop in the 90's would have you stanning heavy. I ? w these new ? now, but cole, drake,kendrick and any of the new school guys are not breaking any new ground and personality wise a lot of them are boring a PC as hell. But to answer the question idk, old school rappers sound outdated in alot of the songs I hear, maybe it's the song selection, but MC REN/ eight lol killed GKMC, but the song fit the featured artist as kendrick was rapping about ? that was relevant to both the featured artist time and now.
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh and that picture still creeps me out that's why I quoted it, maybe that's why jay is so calm, he has literally "seen it all" before word to jeezy
  • Delphas
    Delphas Members Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You mean the same way cats in the nineties had rappers in the 80s as features? Stop it.

Besides, it's not like Rap is the only genre like this; pop, r&B, EDM are the same way.

I'd add country, but that's the only genre where the older and more crotchery you are, the stronger your fanbase.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Big Daddy Kane and Kool Moe Dee still do shows
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    sully wrote: »
    Sadly, that's just the way these artists all are.

Even Nas, who put out Hip Hop Is Dead - an entire album basically lamenting that rappers need to respect the old school and learn from the originators of this ? , didn't have a single feature from an old school artists on his album.

That album was all about "where's Easy Mo Bee? where's Kool Moe Dee? where's Busy Bee?" But where were they, Nas? They weren't on your damn album..

Maybe you've never heard of the "remixes" to 'Where Are They Now'...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=caqyeRrVyCc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kTme3115HKE

Nas stay lookin out.....stop it, fam.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    alot of them dont know the culture beyond 5-8 years and they dont want to get outshined and some of them are washed
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
  • murdap
    murdap Members Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭
    Options
    _? _ wrote: »
    Nobody wants no old washed up new york rappers on a track. Let them young boys eat them old heads done had they time to shine.

New Atlanta ? Future not new Atlanta fam ? been since 2000, n rich homie n thug got talent but wat else seriously, u Rodin around listening to Jose guapo? New atl is the reason the spotlight has moved on from the south

Moved on to where? Last time i heard a new york rapper getting spins on the radio was bobby shmurda and that was what 2013-2014.
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _? _ wrote: »

Moved on to where? Last time i heard a new york rapper getting spins on the radio was bobby shmurda and that was what 2013-2014.

maybe you should stop listening to the radio
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Our generation is terrible at bridging the gap. Most of the newer MC's only collab wit whos hot now guess the 90's guys are "too old" for their fan base. Most them ? lack identity anyway