The Official Boxing Thread

Options

Comments

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/ishe-erupts-presser-shreds-de-la-hoya-rips-media--95653
    Ishe Erupts at Presser: Shreds De La Hoya, Rips Media - Boxing News

By Jake Donovan

Perhaps there hasn’t been a lot of buzz heading into this weekend’s World welterweight championship clash between Floyd Mayweather and Andre Berto, but recent events suddenly has everyone talking during Fight Week.

The Showtime Pay-Per-View event airs live from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas (Saturday, SRP $64.95/74.95 HD). The main event fighters took center stage during Wednesday’s press conference, which was held barely hours after a major story broke regarding Mayweather’s alleged improper use of an IV mix prior to the historic May 2 win over Manny Pacquiao.

Mayweather has since spoken out—via statement released through his publicist—on the issue, but was otherwise largely ignored during Thursday’s press conference dedicated to the undercard fighters. The media—which has largely scorned this weekend’s event given the perceived mismatch in the headliner and the asking price that comes with viewing the event—has jumped all over the story, suddenly making this weekend’s show something worth talking about, or so it seems.

Such behavior is typical of the media, at least in the eyes of the members of Mayweather Promotions. Included among that mindset is former super welterweight champion, Las Vegas’ own Ishe Smith, who didn’t hold back on his thoughts regarding how the game is covered today.

“I’m gonna say some things and at the end you probably won’t like it, but here it goes,” Smith warned the room during his time at the mic at Thursday’s press conference, barely mentioning this weekend’s croosraods bout with Vanes Martirosyan, which airs on Showtime’s “freeview” preceding the PPV telecast. “The media, I do appreciate you guys. But I feel like some of you are leeches. You leech onto the fighters and suck whatever life we have out of us. Then you’re done with us.

“In the few years that Mayweather Promotions has been around, Floyd has made three world champions in… what, 2 ½-3 years. On the other side you have someone who’s admittedly cheated on his wife, done drugs, wear fishnets and now he’s the savior. He’s here to save the sport.”

The “someone” to which Smith refers is Oscar de la Hoya, the Hall-of-Fame fighter and founder/CEO of Golden Boy Promotions. de la Hoya’s company has taken the lead for several of Mayweather’s events in recent years, including their own head-to-head clash in May ’07, which Mayweather won by decision in what served at the time as the most lucrative event in boxing history.

It came out well after the fact that de la Hoya had previously engaged in drug-fueled sex romps, including (at least) one incident from which photos surfaced of the then-troubled boxer dressed in drag.

de la Hoya has since cleaned up his act, having attended rehab and is now in full control of his life and his company. Prior to last year, Golden Boy had served as the lead promoter for every Mayweather event (10 straight shows) dating back to the May '07 show all the way to and through his rematch win over Marcos Maidana last September.

On every occasion, de la Hoya would pick whomever was facing Mayweather, whose support would come from longtime Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer. That arrangement crashed and burned when Golden Boy imploded last year. Schaefer's forced resignation left de la Hoya with the reins, at which point he vowed to do business with all promoters—ironically, severing all ties with Mayweather, Showtime and Al Haymon-advised fighters.

Still, the foundation was long ago laid for Mayweather to advance from an incredible boxing talent to the sport’s biggest star. His level of self-confidence (including his personal belief that he’s the greatest fighter of all time) and willingness to play the villain in any given promotion has obviously rubbed many the wrong way.

While his team expects fans of other fighters to judge him on such behavior, the belief is that too many in the media have chosen a side rather than objectively report the facts in regards to his career as well as those in his inner circle.

“Media guys report on the sport, but you can be fans in the way you act,” Smith continued. “You have to make a decision, whether you’re just going to be a fan and just sh*t on the sport, or if you’re going to be a reporter and write the facts.

“Everyone used to sh*t on Al Haymon, saying he’s ruining the sport. Then PBC comes on, now it’s this and that, although he still has people sh*ting on him. PBC is on almost every week. They’re putting on fantastic fights. He don’t want the “appraisement”, he’s doing wonderful things for the same.”

Smith made headlines for the right reasons when he became the first ever fighter from Las Vegas to claim a world title. The feat came in Feb. ’13, topping Cornelius Bundrage on the road in Detroit to win the super middleweight title.

“When I fought K9 I knew I had to win. Nobody gave me a chance. I had just met my fiancée at the time, and we were trying to raise five kids. There was a lot of pressure on me, I had to win. Vanes is a good fighter, but it’s not even about that. I gotta win.”

Prior to that, Smith had been largely ignored by the media, known simply as a durable gatekeeper who had won some, and lost several before making history for the boxing capital of the world that is his hometown. Whether the good he’s done, or the bad that has been done to him, Smith struggled to arouse interest in an industry that—he believes—seems to thrive on sensationalism and controversy.

“37 years alive, I’ve never been arrested for anything. I’m more proud of that than I am of being the first world champion from Las Vegas,” Smith continued. “I don’t make the news for the stuff I do. I don’t want praise or applause for the things I do.

“I’m in court with my ex-wife. She’s abusing my older son. I have temporary custody of him. That won’t make the news. I fought Randall Bailey, I made $11,000 for that fight. By the time I got my check, it was $3,000. That’s the sh*t that don’t get reported. I fought one of the hardest punchers in the game, went 12 rounds and I made $3,000.

Smith continued: “I was born without a father. He wasn’t even man enough to stick around to raise me. That ain’t ever been talked about. Instead, you’re gonna keep talking about an IV that athletes get all the time. Floyd’s done something that’s not been done before and now he’s about to match Rocky Marciano (the former heavyweight champ who retired at 49-0; Mayweather is currently 48-0 and has insisted Saturday will be the final fight of his illustrious career). You all want the bad s*t.

“I ain’t ever gonna gve you nothing bad. If you ain’t gonna report on anything good, then don’t ever report on me.”

• aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is he used to write on boxing talk back in the day
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And wore fish nets lol
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These CAC's are trying to destroy everything Mayweather has worked for.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yo this is hilsrious.... the black man is a supreme being Floyd the goat
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounds like they more upset that Floyd did the shizz at his house and not a hospital
  • mdot
    mdot Members Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • ShencotheMC
    edited September 2015
    Options
    So let me see if I understand this right. So folks mad that Floyd applied for, and was granted an exemption to use a substance for therapeutic purposes before the fight? If so, wth is the problem? I don't see anything wrong if he was allowed to use it.
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    So let me see if I understand this right. So folks mad that Floyd applied for, and was granted an exemption to use a substance for therapeutic purposes before the fight? If so, wth is the problem? I don't see anything wrong if he was allowed to use it.

Huh? USADA did a retroactive grant 3 weeks after the fight.

Also, only the Nevada state athletic commission can grant iv injection permission in Nevada and they did NOT grant it. So, he was never really granted.

These injections and infusions are banned by WADA and can be used to dilute or mask the presence of another substance. They are basically saying he was flushing his system with a large amount of saline and vitamins during the test window. Only applying for an exemption after the NAC and promoter started asking questions.

Then you have the reports of 3 failed PED tests that were sealed and the abnormally low t/e ratio he tested for in the past.
    Mayweather’s testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio for the April 3, 2013, sample was 0.80. His testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio for the Aug. 18, 2011, sample was 0.69. A red flag.

Under WADA standards, a testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio of up to 4-to-1 is acceptable. That allows for any reasonable variation in an athlete’s natural testosterone level (which, for an elite athlete, might be particularly high). If the ratio is above 4-to-1, an athlete is presumed to be doping.

Some athletes who use exogenous testosterone game the system by administering exogenous epitestosterone to drive their testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio down beneath the permitted ceiling. This can be done by injection or by the application of epitestosterone as a cream. In the absence of a CIR test, this masks the use of synthetic testosterone.

But there’s a catch. If an athlete tries to manipulate his or her testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio, it is difficult to balance the outcome. If an athlete uses too much epitestosterone the result can be an abnormally low T-E ratio.
  • rico_ENS
    rico_ENS Members Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    roid mayweather took 750 ml iv in one sitting in his house after the final weigh in we all know mayweather supposedly fights around his walk around weight ? this ? be eating big macs n drinking soda on the all access we know he aint dehydrated so what he using that for? when was the last time mayweather re stepped on the scales on fight night?
  • ShencotheMC
    Options
    d.green wrote: »

That's what you took from the article?

USADA did a retroactive grant 3 weeks after the fight.

Also, only the Nevada state athletic commission can grant iv injection permission and they didn't grant it.

These injections and infusions are banned by WADA and can be used to dilute or mask the presence of another substance. They are basically saying he was flushing his system with a large amount of saline and vitamins during the test window. Only applying for an exemption after the NAC and promoter started asking questions.

Then you have the abnormally low t/e ratio he tested for in the past.
    Mayweather’s testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio for the April 3, 2013, sample was 0.80. His testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio for the Aug. 18, 2011, sample was 0.69. A red flag.

Under WADA standards, a testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio of up to 4-to-1 is acceptable. That allows for any reasonable variation in an athlete’s natural testosterone level (which, for an elite athlete, might be particularly high). If the ratio is above 4-to-1, an athlete is presumed to be doping.

Some athletes who use exogenous testosterone game the system by administering exogenous epitestosterone to drive their testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio down beneath the permitted ceiling. This can be done by injection or by the application of epitestosterone as a cream. In the absence of a CIR test, this masks the use of synthetic testosterone.

But there’s a catch. If an athlete tries to manipulate his or her testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio, it is difficult to balance the outcome. If an athlete uses too much epitestosterone the result can be an abnormally low T-E ratio.

I was actually referring to the article brother psn dropped. Now would this have changed the way the fight would have been decided?
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    d.green wrote: »

That's what you took from the article?

USADA did a retroactive grant 3 weeks after the fight.

Also, only the Nevada state athletic commission can grant iv injection permission and they didn't grant it.

Then you have the abnormally low t/e ratio he tested for in the past.

I was actually referring to the article brother psn dropped. Now would this have changed the way the fight would have been decided?

Who knows what the impact was that fight or over the years.

“I am not casting aspersions at anyone,” Arum added. “But I have always wondered why does (Mayweather) leave it to the last minute before he announces the fight.”
    LOL
  • PSN-Canibuss
    PSN-Canibuss Members Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Once again, Hauser works for HBO. A few years ago him and Gabe Montaya said Floyd failed 5 times and usada covered it up and turned out to be false. Every few years, he comes up with something new. Is it possible Floyd is on something? Maybe. I wouldn't put it past any top athlete today.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rico_ENS wrote: »
    roid mayweather took 750 ml iv in one sitting in his house after the final weigh in we all know mayweather supposedly fights around his walk around weight ? this ? be eating big macs n drinking soda on the all access we know he aint dehydrated so what he using that for? when was the last time mayweather re stepped on the scales on fight night?
    Worry about mexican fighters.. dont question blk fighters.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Maidana 1 was the last time he stepped on the scales on fight night
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lol@ roid Mayweather man you wetbacks are pitiful
  • Mastery
    Options
    These ? /spiggas is here really don't like Mayweather. Homie in here posting ? like it's a smoking gun lol

YawningBillRussell.gif

Where was all this interest when Pacquiao and JMM were super duper ? ? Lol
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What weight class did PAC start his career?
  • Mastery
    Options
    What weight class did PAC start his career?
    @Vader_F_Kennedy

108-112... Flyweight.
  • mdot
    Options
    The article has good info USADA isn't on the up and up it seems. From what I read they don't even have a set fee for their testing it varies.

This just shows how crooked ? is. If you read it USADA tested Morales 4 times and knew of the results but waited out to pass judgement so the nsac or whoever wouldn't make a call to cancel the fight.

That puts fighters in jeopardy that's the point of testing. Morales walked into that fight on roid's against Danny he ended up losing but still.
  • rico_ENS
    rico_ENS Members Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    but but but bu he did it too ass ? shut up we talkin bout floyd baneweather ya mad af lol

Collection agents for the USADA went to Mayweather's Las Vegas home to give him a random drug test after the fight's May 1 weigh-in and "found evidence of an IV being administered" to the boxer. Bob Bennett, the executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, says that USADA didn't tell the commission whether the IV was actually being administered when the agents arrived. Their IV administration is prohibited by WADA guidelines because an IV infusion "can dilute or mask the presence of another substance that is already in the recipient's system or might be added to it in the near future."

damn bruh...
  • mdot
    Options
    Okay so it's a lot of fights on this weekend. The tru tv card looks good too I might watch that first because Stevenson fighting a ?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fight on Laptop the other on TV