Comments

• SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    SELASI_i wrote: »
    a little biased?

elitist? maybe? a little?

none of them you listed gets no play in the g-ride.

maybe 6 out of the 20 you listed lol.

He's not from NY so what Bias?
    All that talent and New York still ain't ? .

How so?

great save.

the brotha did say he lived in nyc for a while, not like it matters. you can appreciate a certain style of music and be biased in that , does not mean that you need to be from a certain area to be bias.

and at the end of the day, what fan of hip hop doesn't know that hip hop started in the south bronx ny?
    who doesn't know that the earliest forms of hip hop came out of nyc?
    we all grew up on hip hop pretty much. thats not even up for discussion.

I can find music that I appreciate in any region when it comes to hip hop, some more than others.
    it just depends on what mood i'm in for that day.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    It's crazy how one city could have that many talent. Then if you include Jersey and Philly then it's pretty much a wrap.
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    region repping is played out...
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    To play devil's advocate here's 20 artists from that south that could rap circles around NY or have culturally impacted Hip-Hop in some shape or form to the same degree as NY if not better in some respects.

1. Andre 3000
    2. Ludacris
    3. The Clipse
    4. J.Cole
    5. Big Boi
    6. Big KRIT
    7. Scarface
    8. Lil Wayne
    9. Goodie Mob/Dungeon Family/Witchdoctor
    10. Bun B/UGK (*RIP ? C*)
    11. Jay Electronica
    12. 8Ball & MJG
    13. Killa Kyleon
    14. T.I.
    15. Cunninglynguists
    16. Little Brother
    17. Childish Gambino
    18. Curren$y
    19. K-Rino
    20. Chamillionaire

You just put an entire region up against one state.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    achewon87 wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »
    achewon87 wrote: »
    LMAO @ first 5 on OP's list...

LMAO @ that west coast list...

I wacked you. If it wasn't for the first 5 MCs on my list the rest of the people on the list wouldn't be rappers, they'd be singing or playing the guitar.

Nah...

Kool Herc still would have created hip-hop; those 5 had nothing to do with that, and there was emcees before and after those 5...

The name DJ Hollywood mean anything to you? if #5 on your list didn't hear Hollywood rap, then maybe you would have a point...

Your logic is flawed @ 5 Stan...

Crediting the wrong people...

Yeah Herc would have created the DJ aspect of it, but its indisputable that Melle Mel was the absolute first MC to recite written verses, on beat while the DJ was mixing beats.

Prior to Melle Mel MCs were more like hype men, they didn't recite actual verses.

Grandmaster Caz ghostwrote some of Rappers Delight and Kool Moe Dee was the first battle rapper.

Spoonie G was the first solo MC (Spoonin Rap) and Kurtis Blow was the first solo MC to have a gold record (The Breaks) and the first rapper to appear on TV (Soul Train)

Without the first 5 rappers on my list rap would be a lot different.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    The fact remains that if you were to list the 50 greatest MCs of all time, half of your list would be from New York.
  • EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    To play devil's advocate here's 20 artists from that south that could rap circles around NY or have culturally impacted Hip-Hop in some shape or form to the same degree as NY if not better in some respects.

1. Andre 3000
    2. Ludacris
    3. The Clipse
    4. J.Cole
    5. Big Boi
    6. Big KRIT
    7. Scarface
    8. Lil Wayne
    11. Jay Electronica
    12. 8Ball & MJG
    13. Killa Kyleon
    14. T.I.
    15. Cunninglynguists
    16. Little Brother
    17. Childish Gambino
    18. Curren$y
    19. K-Rino
    20. Chamillionaire

you had to make up a list using rappers from multiple different cities and states just to go up against one city but with that being said I do agree there are dope artist from other areas.

and btw, pac lived on the east coast until he was 17, if he is a west coast rapper, then j cole is a NY rapper

I'm playing Devil's Advocate and New York is the biggest city in the U.S. and I think in the world, you have to use a whole region but just because they have a lot of talent doesn't mean they're "the best" region or state. NY hasn't had the rock in 10 years, the South and the West are running the game despite all them artists. I get it tho there's an NY bias it's cool.

And no J.Cole is not a yankee or an NY rapper. Cole lives in NY b/c his bosses office is out there and he needs to be there to know what's going on with his career. Pac went out west cuz yall disowned him, robbed him, ? on him and disrespected him, he didn't even feel safe in his own city the way yall came down on him. I woulda left NY too. The West embraced Pac and showed him the love he always wanted.

The thing about your list is.. Every single one of those folks on the list were influenced by NY..

As for Pac.. He was born in the BX.. Moved to Bmore.. Then later on made his way out west. What you're saying is equivalent to if 50 Cent moved to the west after his street beef and started claiming to be from the west coast..
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options

1. Andre 3000
    2. Ludacris
    3. The Clipse
    4. J.Cole
    5. Big Boi
    6. Big KRIT
    7. Scarface
    8. Lil Wayne
    11. Jay Electronica
    12. 8Ball & MJG
    13. Killa Kyleon
    14. T.I.
    15. Cunninglynguists
    16. Little Brother
    17. Childish Gambino
    18. Curren$y
    19. K-Rino
    20. Chamillionaire

you had to make up a list using rappers from multiple different cities and states just to go up against one city but with that being said I do agree there are dope artist from other areas.

and btw, pac lived on the east coast until he was 17, if he is a west coast rapper, then j cole is a NY rapper

I'm playing Devil's Advocate and New York is the biggest city in the U.S. and I think in the world, you have to use a whole region but just because they have a lot of talent doesn't mean they're "the best" region or state. NY hasn't had the rock in 10 years, the South and the West are running the game despite all them artists. I get it tho there's an NY bias it's cool.

And no J.Cole is not a yankee or an NY rapper. Cole lives in NY b/c his bosses office is out there and he needs to be there to know what's going on with his career. Pac went out west cuz yall disowned him, robbed him, ? on him and disrespected him, he didn't even feel safe in his own city the way yall came down on him. I woulda left NY too. The West embraced Pac and showed him the love he always wanted.

youre still comparing, A whole region to one city, if comparing NYC to another city is crazy to you imagine how even more asinine it is to compare the biggest Region to just one city also and lyricism took a huge backseat in the past 10 years mainstream wise,we all should know how music gets on the radio nowadays, it has nothing to do with an artists pen game, so I dont know why you brought that up homie

pac was not disowned by NY, how does that even sound? he merely got shot up cause his ass was runnning with ? that he had no business running with even though he was warned many times by multiple different people about. that shouldnt reflect on the city disowning him, if you going to do that, then bring up how it was west coast ? that murked him in the end then, so much for that feeling safe, love and embracing stuff.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I actually hate getting into this dumb regional ? cause I like music from every region but I just thought comparing a whole region to a city was a little ridiculous
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    TayGettem wrote: »
    Matter fact most those rappers u named are no longer rapping or relevant so much for staying power

Yeah Current day takes precedent over the past a lot...James Brown was a bad man and I listen to the 70s and 80s music and love it. That doesnt mean its "better" than today's music. Its personal preference. Sayin this is "better than that no disputing" just feels off brand. It has a backfiring effect. Insecurity all over that when you secure you can dig what you dig and let others dig what they dig without trying to force it.
    Im a South dude and have no problem with NY rappers from the past but all the force feeding man ruins it. I just wanna go back and listen to Big daddy Kane or Epmd or Rakim organically without somebody trying to force them. Yall turn people off from these dudes smh by trying too hard to force feed them and your opinion. wtf you dont know that dont work?
  • _God_
    _God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's only a handful maybe two that aren't from nyc

Close thread
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol at "NYC is the biggest city so you have to compare a region that holds 120 million people against them. its only fair"
  • Javon803
    Javon803 Members Posts: 113 ✭✭
    Options
    Nah pac been repping west his whole career I been following his whole career he came out from the gate banging west coast he was put on by the west given the game by the west he always showed love to ny though cause that's where he was from but California was his home
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    I actually hate getting into this dumb regional ? cause I like music from every region but I just thought comparing a whole region to a city was a little ridiculous

Comparing a region to a city is ridiculous, but even if you do make the comparison The 20 (or 25, I edited my O/P) MCs I listed from New York are still unquestionably better than the MCs Sion listed.

You might say that The South had a good run over the past 10-15 years, but it wasn't because of lyricism. I'm not saying that Southern MCs are wack, but they're not seeing the best New York MCs.

Other regions make good music, but as far as spitting bars, New York holds the crown. Thats indisputable.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    New York City got more classic albums than any other city or region
  • Javon803
    Javon803 Members Posts: 113 ✭✭
    Options

Comparing a region to a city is ridiculous, but even if you do make the comparison The 20 (or 25, I edited my O/P) MCs I listed from New York are still unquestionably better than the MCs Sion listed.

You might say that The South had a good run over the past 10-15 years, but it wasn't because of lyricism. I'm not saying that Southern MCs are wack, but they're not seeing the best New York MCs.

Other regions make good music, but as far as spitting bars, New York holds the crown. Thats indisputable.

What about philly? I think they can compete
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Javon803 wrote: »

What about philly? I think they can compete

Philly has about 10 legendary MCs; Black Thought, Beanie Sigel, Eve, Will Smith, EST, Steady B, Cool C, Cassidy, Schooly D, Freeway, Meek

Same with New Jersey; Redman, Lauryn Hill, Wycleff, Joe Budden, Chill Rob G, Wise Intelligent, Treach,

I'd say Cali has about 10 legendary MCs too; 2Pac, Snoop, Too Short, Kurrupt, Ice T, Ice Cube, MC Ren, E-40, Kendrick Lamar, Warren G

But none of those states/cities are seeing New York.

Other regions might make good music, but as far as bars are concerned, Its not even close.
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    a little biased?

How so?

great save.

the brotha did say he lived in nyc for a while, not like it matters. you can appreciate a certain style of music and be biased in that , does not mean that you need to be from a certain area to be bias.

and at the end of the day, what fan of hip hop doesn't know that hip hop started in the south bronx ny?

I can find music that I appreciate in any region when it comes to hip hop, some more than others.

It's only bias if you don't give all alternatives a chance.

You can like NY Hip Hop and not be bias, you can say NY is the greatest Hip Hop city and not be bias. You wouldn't claim bias if someone said Detroit is the goat Soul music city, or New Orleans is the goat Jazz city.

Cut that ? jealousy out.

Trinidad is the goat Calypso/Soca island.

'YOOOOO, you mad bias cuz.'
  • MiamiNights
    MiamiNights Members Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    West Coast

1.2pac
    2.Ice Cube
    3.E 40
    4.Dr Dre
    5.Ice T
    6.Snoop
    7. MC Eiht
    8. Ras Kass
    9. Kurupt
    10. DJ Quik
    11. Warren G
    12. Crooked I
    13. Eazy E
    14. Mack 10
    15. B real
    16. Spice 1
    17. Richie Rich
    18. Shock G
    19. Yukmouth
    20. Rappin 4 Tay

You got Yukmouth on the list ad no Mc Ren?
  • MiamiNights
    MiamiNights Members Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

1. Andre 3000
    2. Ludacris
    3. The Clipse
    4. J.Cole
    5. Big Boi
    6. Big KRIT
    7. Scarface
    8. Lil Wayne
    11. Jay Electronica
    12. 8Ball & MJG
    13. Killa Kyleon
    14. T.I.
    15. Cunninglynguists
    16. Little Brother
    17. Childish Gambino
    18. Curren$y
    19. K-Rino
    20. Chamillionaire

Ill put Big Mike and Mr Mike(south circle)over some of those people on this list.
    Ill also put Mac(no limit)over some of them as well
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    this is more of that separation, my coast/side is better than your side type ? that had ? like ? new york to begin with.

NY didn't start coast repping. West Coast started coast repping and you can hear it all throughout the music.

The rest of the U.S was mad that NY didn't jump up with joy like Arizona, Idaho, and South Dakota would because the culture was a decade plus deep in NY. The same way Americans(North, East, South, West) isn't rolling the red carpet for U.K rappers.

Master P said NY showed him love, Jodeci said NY was the first to show them love, School Boy Q said NY radio played him first, Scarface was just singing NY praises(I know that ? people off).

Everybody can rep their region then let NY and or the East Coast rep their.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Let's all keep it real here, @5grand is totally correct. 2pac was born in NY, Biggie and Jay-Z in NY, Nas in NY, Busta and DMX in NY. 50 Cent, Wu-Tang, Big L, I can go on and on. Overall, the best MCs do come from NY. I still got plenty of love for the west, south, and midwest but NY has the MOST OVERALL talented rappers historically. California is probably second.
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a little biased?

How so?

great save.

It's only bias if you do give all alternatives a chance.

You can like NY Hip Hop and not be bias, you can say NY is the greatest Hip Hop city and not be bias. You wouldn't claim bias if someone said Detroit is the goat Soul music city, or New Orleans is the goat Jazz city.

Cut that ? jealousy out.

Trinidad is the goat Calypso/Soca island.

'YOOOOO, you mad bias cuz.'

Dog you in here defending a grown ass man over some ? . I ain't jealous of ? you got boy. Who you talking to? Go argue with somebody else on the internet.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    New York City got more classic albums than any other city or region

This is absolute truth and fact. As a hip-hop head I've noticed this my whole life