What Happened to the Art of DJing?

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in The Reason
This is a question mainly for the DJ's out there. What happened to the art of mixing and scratching over records? Was DJing effectively killed when Technics made the last 1200? Even if that's so, can't a DJ basically mimic what was done with 1200's with those CD DJing kits?

As with rap, the state of DJing is in a very sad state. Hell, I dare say that DJing has fallen off further than rappin' because I can literally DJ a party I'm not speaking in hyperbole when I that either. If DJing in 2015 constitutes bring your equipment and your Mac Book Pro to a venue and LITERALLY playing the songs on your hard drive without mixing them is what's accepted as DJing in 2015, then ya boy Rex can do that.

And I'm speaking as a person who has intimate knowledge of DJing because my godkids' dad used to DJ parties. This was back in the days of turntables and Chuck would have to actually practice before hand to find the right records that would go together, and the ? took talent. I couldn't do that ? . Now muthafuckas are wanting $300, $400, $500 to bring their 18" Cerwin Vegas to a reception hall for a four or five hour set just for literally moving the cursor over a playlist. The ? is ridiculous in addition to being a horrible dollar value. Due to fact that's literally what a so-called "DJ" in 2015 is doing, I would have a very hard time hiring one. The only way I would hire a DJ is if was using vinyl and I would have to know what his play list was before I hired so the muthafucka wouldn't cheat.

Also, to my DJ cats out there. For the love of ? , PLEASE STOP USING THE FUNK MASTER FLEX STYLE OF DJIN'. THE ? IS ANNOYING AND HELLA PLAYED OUT. What I call the "Funk Master Flex Style of DJin" is when a DJ plays of block of songs in the same ? genre. First he plays the R&B set, then goes into old school rap set, the current rap set, and he goes into the dance hall set? Every ? DJ in New York City uses this tired played out formula of playing records and has been for 15 years. Try mixing ? up, that's what DJ's used to do. You don't have to play ten consecutive R&B records, then move on to the next genre, you can throw a rap record in there. For example, don't be afraid of playing something new. I understand that people are programmed to only like the songs that they're told to like and with that being said, that shouldn't prevent you from exposing people to new material, and to tell the true, it's your job. Back when my boy Chuck was Djin' people would often come up to him and what song he had just played from WC and the M.A.A.D. Circle and CMW.

Then there's another thing that ? irks my nerves, play the whole ? record. Believe it or not, people actually want to hear the song in it's entirety. This is something else that Flex popularized and it's somehow became the standard way of DJin. As a matter of fact, stop doin' anything Flex does during your DJ set. That includes playing the same song more than once. Besides there are very few songs that are worth hearing more than once anyway. So that means you going to have to wait to play those hot records until the peak point of the party. Finally, I implore of all of you DJ's out there, please, I beg of you with all heart felt sincerity, eliminate from your set anything that has Fat Man Scoop's voice on it. As a radio personality dude was cool, but as an artist, that mutafucka is just wack and I truly don't see the appeal of his songs. That call and response ? is just some annoying ? . At least when Uncle Luke does the ? there was ass and ? jigglin' every where, and I've actually come to love "I Wanna Rock, but from the day it was released till now, I have never liked Be Faithful and if you didn't play it at a party, believe me, people wouldn't be mad if you didn't.

Considering that DJing is literally playing MP3s from your laptop, how is a DJ suppose to be able to distinguish himself from that next cat that's playing MP3s from his laptop? Top DJ's can get racks for a few hours work, but what the ? are they doing? Especially those EDM DJ's. If regular DJs aren't doing anything, those EDM DJ's are doing even less. How do these muthafuckas justify their price points?

Comments

• Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    meh im a dj I spin electronic no EDM ? theres a difference but ive been doing so for the last 15 years I use 4 decks at home 2 vinyl and to cd decks no ? laptops or midi controlers. If I play live I have to make sure the place has vinyl decks. The younger djs are ruining the dj game by using laptops and MIDI controllers. Djing is supposed to be challenging not easy. I still challenge myself with different techniques that i'm doing.
  • satyrone
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    CebLpAV.jpg

yeah ? skrillex gave electronic music a bad name...
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another thing is that any DJ that's any good charges $300+ to DJ a party. These laptop DJs undercut the market by charging $50. People think they're getting a bargain by hiring a $50 DJ and then he shows up with a laptop and plays other DJ's mixes that he found online.

DJing is a skill that everybody can't do. But club promoters want to reduce costs so they hire the $50 DJ. You get what you pay for.
  • yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Another thing is that any DJ that's any good charges $300+ to DJ a party. These laptop DJs undercut the market by charging $50. People think they're getting a bargain by hiring a $50 DJ and then he shows up with a laptop and plays other DJ's mixes that he found online.

DJing is a skill that everybody can't do. But club promoters want to reduce costs so they hire the $50 DJ. You get what you pay for.

Yep. Came here to say Apple ruined the DJ market
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The laptop and itunes happened. All these dudes gotta do these days is throw on a playlist and let it ride.
  • satyrone
    Options

@bolded is so true. its skill that the younger djs don't have. I wounder what happends when their computers crash and they can't finisher their set because they don't have any skills.
  • 5 Grand
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Here's a perfect example of the problem. Paris Hilton has become a celebrity DJ. Problem is that she doesn't do anything. She just plays a pre-recorded mix and turns and twists buttons and knobs.

Paris Hilton fake DJing

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1n_E4sDewtM
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Corporate America, that's what happened
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Serato killed the whole DJ Culture from top to bottom. ? Serato. All of this trinkles down to why rap is in the state is in now. Serato ? sales pitch was making DJing more convient which in reality means easier and cheaper. Not to sound like a old head but there is nothing supposed to be easy about being a DJ. DJs used to have to practice for years to acquire skill, hustle up lots of money or resources to get to hunt for records for HOURS and then if they did those 2 things properly with some luck, due paying and connections you would be able to make a living off it. This was the unwritten by respectfully followed rites of passage for all and any hip hop head who ever touched a pair of tables up. The Vinyl DJ wasnt scared of a format fight either because in 90s CD-R reading digital turntables were being marketed as the wave of the future and they crapped out 2002-2003. What serato did different from the CD turntable marketing is that they went at the heart of the culture. They paid off our marquee hip hop DJs with fat checks to breakaway from their record pools and corporate endorsements to promote the sucker way of being a DJ. When the labels started seeing the computers in the clubs they stopped pressing promo vinyl which in turn killed the record pool and record stores. When the record stores and record pools dried the manufacturers of turntables such as Gemini, Technics, Stanton etc started cost cutting their models every year, offering less entry level models. Once the turntables start phasing out so does the production of 3rdparty/aftermarket products which had its own strong industry like Cartridge and needles, flight cases/storage products. Serato made it so that unknown DJs who may have less than a week of experince that copied a TB worth of music from his homeboy harddrive literally undercut longtime Professional DJs. club owners started hiring wack djs who spin for $50 and drinks. wedding and other events now had option of finding cheaper DJ instead of longtime traditonal professional DJ. Serato put thousands if not millions of people out of work who actually loved the culture instead of being oppotunists. If you need to bring a thousand songs with you then you cant control a crowd or DJ. ? those DJ complaints about carrying vinyl. That is part of hip hop culture. The story has been told countless times about early hip hop parties in NY with a CREW of BLACKS carrying sound equipment and records proudly to a gig. White based serato believe its above participating in hip hop rituals.Serato killed the hip hop DJ and got killed itself in less than 5 years by digital controllers with model specific programs. Since turntables are obsolete serato isnt selling its control vinyl and since the rise of apps and tablets nobody needs to spend all the money for their program anymore. All of this is just one ? you to hip hop culture. its now acceptable to call yourself a DJ and never had touched vinyl. there is no more shame in getting paid hundreds of dollars for a few hours standing behind the setup taking requests and pressing buttons instead of gauging a crowd and creating you our signature mix. While melle mel attacking young ? about not getting features he need to ask his best friend macklemore why people like his butt buddy ryan lewis and paris hilton who dont know ? about 70s hip hop djs get paid 200k a night to DJ at parties and they cant break him off
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    Serato killed the whole DJ Culture from top to bottom. ? Serato. All of this trinkles down to why rap is in the state is in now. Serato ? sales pitch was making DJing more convient which in reality means easier and cheaper. Not to sound like a old head but there is nothing supposed to be easy about being a DJ. DJs used to have to practice for years to acquire skill, hustle up lots of money or resources to get to hunt for records for HOURS and then if they did those 2 things properly with some luck, due paying and connections you would be able to make a living off it. This was the unwritten by respectfully followed rites of passage for all and any hip hop head who ever touched a pair of tables up. The Vinyl DJ wasnt scared of a format fight either because in 90s CD-R reading digital turntables were being marketed as the wave of the future and they crapped out 2002-2003. What serato did different from the CD turntable marketing is that they went at the heart of the culture. They paid off our marquee hip hop DJs with fat checks to breakaway from their record pools and corporate endorsements to promote the sucker way of being a DJ. When the labels started seeing the computers in the clubs they stopped pressing promo vinyl which in turn killed the record pool and record stores. When the record stores and record pools dried the manufacturers of turntables such as Gemini, Technics, Stanton etc started cost cutting their models every year, offering less entry level models. Once the turntables start phasing out so does the production of 3rdparty/aftermarket products which had its own strong industry like Cartridge and needles, flight cases/storage products. Serato made it so that unknown DJs who may have less than a week of experince that copied a TB worth of music from his homeboy harddrive literally undercut longtime Professional DJs. club owners started hiring wack djs who spin for $50 and drinks. wedding and other events now had option of finding cheaper DJ instead of longtime traditonal professional DJ. Serato put thousands if not millions of people out of work who actually loved the culture instead of being oppotunists. If you need to bring a thousand songs with you then you cant control a crowd or DJ. ? those DJ complaints about carrying vinyl. That is part of hip hop culture. The story has been told countless times about early hip hop parties in NY with a CREW of BLACKS carrying sound equipment and records proudly to a gig. White based serato believe its above participating in hip hop rituals.Serato killed the hip hop DJ and got killed itself in less than 5 years by digital controllers with model specific programs. Since turntables are obsolete serato isnt selling its control vinyl and since the rise of apps and tablets nobody needs to spend all the money for their program anymore. All of this is just one ? you to hip hop culture. its now acceptable to call yourself a DJ and never had touched vinyl. there is no more shame in getting paid hundreds of dollars for a few hours standing behind the setup taking requests and pressing buttons instead of gauging a crowd and creating you our signature mix. While melle mel attacking young ? about not getting features he need to ask his best friend macklemore why people like his butt buddy ryan lewis and paris hilton who dont know ? about 70s hip hop djs get paid 200k a night to DJ at parties and they cant break him off

^^^^ Can you pleas break that up into separate paragraphs?

No one is gonna read that.
  • nyst8ofmin
    nyst8ofmin Members Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall think everything is dead because yall don't actively engage the culture...

As a dj, I fully agree. Dmc is still huge. Technology opened the genre up 1000%.
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DJ Premier is still going strong.
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If your taking about Hip Hop it's still there but it has broken off into it's own culture. Underground Eastcoast artist still have it in their new music but the artist that get the shine are to busy turning up.

I've seen DJ's literally get stared at if they stray away from the top 10 hits at what ever moment. So forget the scratching on a record, and you can even forget blending. Next time your in a club hear how DJ's talk over their blends to really show they can't even do that.
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dj Spinna of Jigmastas still doing his thing

• 5 Grand
    Options
    Actually, these new computer programs have a sync button. All you have to do is press a button and the program will blend the songs for you. So what you have is DJs that have a laptop with 20,000 songs and they just press a button to blend the songs. But they couldn't blend them by ear if you paid them a million dollars.

But DJs like Paris Hilton don't even do that. They just play a pre-recorded mix and stand there turning and twisting knobs that don't do anything.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ^^^^ Can you pleas break that up into separate paragraphs? No one is gonna read that.

I did some editing to make the ? easier to read because it contained a lot of useful info.
    Serato killed the whole DJ Culture from top to bottom. ? Serato. All of this trickles down to why rap is in the state is in now. Serato ? sales pitch was making DJing more convenient, which in reality means easier and cheaper. Not to sound like a old head, but there is nothing supposed to be easy about being a DJ. DJs used to have to practice for years to acquire skill, hustle up lots of money, or resources to get to hunt for records for HOURS. Only then if they did those 2 things properly, (with some luck, dues paying, and connections,) you would be able to make a living off it. This was the unwritten rule was respectfully followed rites of passage for all and any hip hop head who ever touched a pair of tables up.

The vinyl DJ wasn't scared of a format fight either. In the 90s, CD-R reading digital turntables were being marketed as the wave of the future, but they crapped out 2002-2003. What Serato did different from the CD turntable marketing is that they went at the heart of the culture. They paid off our marquee hip hop DJs with fat checks to breakaway from their record pools and gave the top hip hop DJs corporate endorsements to promote the sucker way of being a DJ. When the labels started seeing the computers in the clubs they stopped pressing promo vinyl which in turn killed the record pool and record stores.

When the record stores and record pools died, the manufacturers of turntables (such as Gemini, Technics, Stanton, etc.,) the manufacturers started cost cutting their models every year, in addition to offering less entry level models. Once the turntables start phasing out, so did the production of 3rd party/aftermarket products which had its own strong industry, (like Cartridge and needles, flight cases/storage products.) Serato made it so that unknown DJs, (who may have less than a week of experience and a copied TB worth of music from his homeboy's hard drive,) this literally undercut longtime professional DJs. Club owners started hiring wack DJs who spin for $50 and drinks. People having weddings and other events now had option of finding cheaper DJ, instead of longtime traditional professional DJ.

Serato put thousands, if not millions of people out of work who actually loved the culture, instead of being opportunists. If you need to bring a thousand songs with you, then you can't control a crowd or DJ. ? those DJ complaints about carrying vinyl, that is part of hip hop culture. The story has been told countless times about early hip hop parties in NY with a CREW of BLACKS carrying sound equipment and records proudly to a gig. White based Serato believes it's above participating in hip hop rituals. Serato killed the hip hop DJ and in turn killed itself in less than 5 years by digital controllers with model specific programs. Since turntables are obsolete, Serato isn't selling its control vinyl. Add in the rise of apps and tablets, nobody needs to spend all the money for their program anymore.

All of this is just one ? you to hip hop culture. It's now acceptable to call yourself a DJ and never had touched vinyl. There is no more shame in getting paid hundreds of dollars for a few hours, standing behind the setup, taking requests, and pressing buttons, instead of gauging a crowd, then creating you our signature mix. While Melle Mel is attacking young ? about not getting features, he needs to ask his best friend Macklemore why people like his butt buddy Ryan Lewis and Paris Hilton (who don't know ? about 70s hip hop, and get paid $200k a night to DJ at parties,) why they can't break him off.

• BedStuy
    Options
    My dude DJ Scratch is still doing his thing.

• BedStuy
    edited September 2015
    Options
    R.I.P. to Beat Street

fqwu9gb2kratqqmckm6q.jpg

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/07/remembering-the-greatest-hip-hop-shops/beat-street

Where: Brooklyn, New York
    Specializing in: DJ equipment, movies, records, mixtapes, mail order, gear/jewelry

Fulton Mall's own Beat Street was NYC's largest, most diverse, all-purpose one stop. Musically, everything from Hot 97's major rotation list to small indie rap consignement cases like myself found a home for their products; DJ Kulcha gave anyone with decent records and some gumption a fair shake to get their ? on shelves. DJ and stereo equipment, electronics, movies, t-shirts and even some nice, gaudy jewelry (if my memory hasn't failed me) was for sale, making it the full-embodiment of not only hip-hop shopping, but of the vibe of pre-Giuliani/Bloomberg and pre-Downtown Brooklyn resembling Times Square. Proof? They shipped ? to correctional facilities, son. Beat Street had a good 22 year run (???) before closing in 2006.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myVqRhy5NNA

• 5 Grand
    Options
    ^^^^ Can you pleas break that up into separate paragraphs? No one is gonna read that.

I did some editing to make the ? easier to read because it contained a lot of useful info.
    Serato killed the whole DJ Culture from top to bottom. ? Serato. All of this trickles down to why rap is in the state is in now. Serato ? sales pitch was making DJing more convenient, which in reality means easier and cheaper. Not to sound like a old head, but there is nothing supposed to be easy about being a DJ. DJs used to have to practice for years to acquire skill, hustle up lots of money, or resources to get to hunt for records for HOURS. Only then if they did those 2 things properly, (with some luck, due paying and connections,) you would be able to make a living off it. This was the unwritten rule by respectfully followed rites of passage for all and any hip hop head who ever touched a pair of tables up.

The vinyl DJ wasn't scared of a format fight either. In the 90s, CD-R reading digital turntables were being marketed as the wave of the future, but they crapped out 2002-2003. What Serato did different from the CD turntable marketing is that they went at the heart of the culture. They paid off our marquee hip hop DJs with fat checks to breakaway from their record pools and gave the top hip hop DJs corporate endorsements to promote the sucker way of being a DJ. When the labels started seeing the computers in the clubs they stopped pressing promo vinyl which in turn killed the record pool and record stores.

When the record stores and record pools dried the manufacturers of turntables such as Gemini, Technics, Stanton, etc., the manufacturers started cost cutting their models every year, in addition to offering less entry level models. Once the turntables start phasing out so did the production of 3rd party/aftermarket products which had its own strong industry, (like Cartridge and needles, flight cases/storage products.) Serato made it so that unknown DJs, (who may have less than a week of experience and a copied TB worth of music from his homeboy's hard drive,) this literally undercut longtime professional DJs. Club owners started hiring wack DJs who spin for $50 and drinks. People having weddings and other events now had option of finding cheaper DJ, instead of longtime traditional professional DJ.

Serato put thousands, if not millions of people out of work who actually loved the culture, instead of being opportunists. If you need to bring a thousand songs with you, then you can't control a crowd or DJ. ? those DJ complaints about carrying vinyl, that is part of hip hop culture. The story has been told countless times about early hip hop parties in NY with a CREW of BLACKS carrying sound equipment and records proudly to a gig. White based Serato believes its above participating in hip hop rituals. Serato killed the hip hop DJ and in turn killed itself in less than 5 years by digital controllers with model specific programs. Since turntables are obsolete, Serato isn't selling its control vinyl. Add in the rise of apps and tablets, nobody needs to spend all the money for their program anymore. All of this is just one ? you to hip hop culture. It's now acceptable to call yourself a DJ and never had touched vinyl. There is no more shame in getting paid hundreds of dollars for a few hours standing behind the setup taking requests and pressing buttons, instead of gauging a crowd, then creating you our signature mix. While Melle Mel is attacking young ? about not getting features, he needs to ask his best friend Macklemore why people like his butt buddy Ryan Lewis and Paris Hilton (who don't know ? about 70s hip hop, and get paid $200k a night to DJ at parties,) why they cant break him off.

Yeah but at the end of the day, it's just easier to bring a laptop instead of carrying 4 crates. It's evolution, you have to grow and evolve. There was a time when DJs used to have two copies of a record and juggle the beats while the MCs rhymed. Then the sampler was invented and you could loop a break from a record digitally without a DJ and it sounded better.

Serato made it easier for people who really know how to DJ. DJs who carried crates of records since the 70s who paid their dues. I saw Jazzy Jay DJ at a Zulu Nation Anniversary party and he was using Serato. He obviously knows how to spin vinyl but it's just easier with a laptop.

It's like comparing a cell phone to a landline phone, cell phones are better and more convenient, that's indisputable. Same with a typewriter vs Microsoft Word, Microsoft Word is just better. You have to keep up with technology or you become a dinosaur. Plain and simply; you can't be a vinyl DJ nowadays because most new music isn't pressed on vinyl.