should artist start releasing their albums exclusively , like Jordan's

Options
Ol Jay's
Ol Jay's Members Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in The Reason
Secret one day release on itunes, only preorders and 5 hard copies per brick and mortar store, and no streaming on the internet, also only release visuals on youtube, no audio

should artist start releasing their albums exclusively , like Jordan's 13 votes

yes
15%
_God_not_osirus_jenkins 2 votes
no
84%
5th Letterachewon8725centsandwichmryounggunL.O.S.T.FyHunnitfuc_i_look_likeMeekMonizzLLLLLLe14GetoBoyD0wnTayGettem 11 votes

Comments

• _God_
    _God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    yes
    yea that would help the second tier artist like schoolboy q, meek mill,lil Wayne
  • Ol Jay's
    Options
    i think it would be dope because there would be no trace of the album after that day, resulting in a demand for that artist
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought the common goal of the artist, the label and the retailers is to sell as many copies as possible.
  • Ol Jay's
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    I thought the common goal of the artist, the label and the retailers is to sell as many copies as possible.

yeah, but sales aren't great as they use to be, so this could help

Like an artist selling 200,000 or less albums in a one year span could do this and by creating a demand, possibly sell that 200,000 copies, in one day and then they could do this maybe twice a year with the same album and possibly sell 200,000 copies on the 2nd release also, totaling 400,000 plus in one year instead of just 200,000

And If it's quality music their next exclusive release could possibly double, triple, who knows, you know people love feeling like they got exclusive ?

If an artist releases a exclusive album with a one day sale then those that missed out would be sure to cop the next one on the day of it's release because there would be a demand knowing it's only for sale for that one day

Artist make real money off of branding, endorsements, & shows, & with the exclusive route they could drop hints of the release dates on their Twitter or instagram thus upping their followers leading to more advertising dollars for them to get
  • Ol Jay's
    Options
    ? wat

sorry i don't speak close minded-ness
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no
    _? _ wrote: »
    yea that would help the second tier artist like schoolboy q, meek mill,lil Wayne

When did Wayne become second tier df he still going platinum and gold ?
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no
    No...

People will just DL it once it hits the internet...

Then the fabricated demand is gone...

And you lose out on potential sales...
  • Ol Jay's
    Options
    achewon87 wrote: »
    No...

Sion wrote: »
    If you can get people to pay a premium for exclusivity then hell yeah. That's hard tho and a lot of people try it with DVDs and documentaries. Wu-Tang had the best execution but they can do that b/c they have the history for it. Same with BTNH. It's hard to make things exclusive over the internet b/c one copy can become 1,000,000 . Prince is the only one I've seen do it successfully.

Jordan's are also bootlegged but the sales for the actual shoe is still great, why because of it's exclusiveness

The opportunity to say "i got the original" or "I been heard that" is worth the money to a lot of people, the artist or their people will have to figure out a way to get the fans to feel like they are part of some secret, it could work
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It'll be on the net by the end of the day. Its clever marketing but unlike shoes, music can be heard by anyone.
  • Ol Jay's
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    It'll be on the net by the end of the day. Its clever marketing but unlike shoes, music can be heard by anyone.

I think people overestimate the internet though, the internet die hards are lesser in numbers than the casual users

At this fight party cats were saying they can't find the new Dre album anywhere, hard copies or itunes, and they want it, not download or stream it free, but actually buy it

? got me to thinking
  • FishNChips
    FishNChips Members Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ol Jay's wrote: »
    No...

If you can get people to pay a premium for exclusivity then hell yeah. That's hard tho and a lot of people try it with DVDs and documentaries. Wu-Tang had the best execution but they can do that b/c they have the history for it. Same with BTNH. It's hard to make things exclusive over the internet b/c one copy can become 1,000,000 . Prince is the only one I've seen do it successfully.

Jordan's are also bootlegged but the sales for the actual shoe is still great, why because of it's exclusiveness

The opportunity to say "i got the original" or "I been heard that" is worth the money to a lot of people, the artist or their people will have to figure out a way to get the fans to feel like they are part of some secret, it could work

shoes and music aren't the same thing. You can turn a radio on and hear music for free, you can't rock different pairs of shoes for free.
  • Ol Jay's
    Options
    FishNChips wrote: »
    No...

shoes and music aren't the same thing. You can turn a radio on and hear music for free, you can't rock different pairs of shoes for free.

there's legal routes artists can take to stop their music from being played on the radio, that is also true with youtube

I know some thirsty ? whom still wanna see the feeling myself video but can't find it
  • FishNChips
    FishNChips Members Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No...

there's legal routes artists can take to stop their music from being played on the radio, that is also true with youtube

I know some thirsty ? whom still wanna see the feeling myself video but can't find it

muthafucka it's still not the same ? thing
  • Ol Jay's
    Options
    No...

muthafucka it's still not the same ? thing

i ain't your muthafucka, if you want to carry on like a toddler that just discovered cuss words we don't need to have a discussion
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no
    I think people overestimate the internet though, the internet die hards are lesser in numbers than the casual users

At this fight party
    cats were saying they can't find the new Dre album anywhere, hard copies or itunes, and they want it, not download or stream it free, but actually buy it
    ? got me to thinking

that's the problem ... u hang out with certified dumb ? ...
    Cant find dr. dre's album on itunes????????????
    Really???

Now they got u on here ,Comparing music to clothes???...
    may be back in the days, it would of been a great idea.. but in the internet age ?
    Hell naaaaaaw to the naw naw

Some one already broke it down. Once something is on the internet, its on here forever, especially when it vests intrest.
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no
    It won't work someone who bought it could just put it online still free download it
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no
    unfortunately ? will ? for a pair or jordans and blow their money on these overpriced Jordan Sneakers. You can't say the same for music. People may rob a ? for a concert ticket but buying an album not so much. The live concert of a hot artist is the "jordan shoe". The album is more like the advertisement you see on youtube. Sure a few people are interested in the ad but most people just want the shoe.
  • Ol Jay's
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »

At this fight party
    cats were saying they can't find the new Dre album anywhere, hard copies or itunes, and they want it, not download or stream it free, but actually buy it
    ? got me to thinking

that's the problem ... u hang out with certified dumb ? ...
    Cant find dr. dre's album on itunes????????????
    Really???

Now they got u on here ,Comparing music to clothes???...
    may be back in the days, it would of been a great idea.. but in the internet age ?
    Hell naaaaaaw to the naw naw

Some one already broke it down. Once something is on the internet, its on here forever, especially when it vests intrest.

naw they just aren't socially awkward like you internet geeks and live life off the net, and trust their are a lot of people who don't live life in a fantasy world online, the shoe reference was to give an idea of how to make someone feel exclusive, but I don't know why I even bother to believe you boxed brained ? could think outside the scope of your WiFi

Can't wait till computers and robots have you idiots begging for food and water
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    itll be cool ... but it wouldnt work ... why ?? because sneaker companies do exclusive releases as a marketing scheme .... basically what they call a "door buster" ... they dont make $$ off those shoes ... they make $$ getting people in the store to buy up the ? that most people dont want to buy ... or to sell other products like tshirts, shorts and other apparell that maybe in the store ...

so for lil wayne to drop an exclusive record it would have to be in support of other "products" to make sense ... espeically business sense ... you cant recoupe with an exlcusive release ... thats why artist want to sell as much as possible ... not as little as possible LOL !! ....

cool idea but doesnt make sense for an ALBUM ....

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    no
    Interesting idea but it won't work.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no
    This is the stupidest ? i've heard in a long time.
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HOWEVER !! you can tweak it a bit cause an artist has already done this 2 times successfully and his name is Nipsey Hustle ... not the exact same rollout but pretty much the same principles involved ......
  • Ol Jay's
    edited September 2015
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    This is the stupidest ? i've heard in a long time.

it's not so far off from what Jay did with Holy grail or what Drake, Beyonce, and Dr dre did with their recent albums

Hell not even too far off from what Jay is trying to do with Tidal, so somebody out here thinking