If Drake, Kendrick Lamar, & J.Cole is this generations Hip Hop Trinity then where does that leave...

Options
kuskklassic
kuskklassic Members Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭✭
Drake, Kendrick Lamar, J.Cole have become the Holy Trinity in Hip Hop for the next generation. They have been leading the pack since 2010.

But if they are the undisputed Top 3 right now with everything being conisidered (sales, critical acclaim, impact, etc.) then where does they leave other leaders of the new school like Wale, Big Sean, Wiz Khalifa, etc.

Comments

• kuskklassic
    Options
    at one point in time Rakim, KRS, & Big Daddy Kane were widely considered the best out in the 80s. with rappers like Kool G Rap, LL Cool J, & Ice Cube not to far behind

Biggie, Pac, & Nas were the Holy Trinity in the mid 90s with artist like JayZ, Snoop Dogg,& Scarface making a case also.
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They just the ? left behind that's all
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    I still feel Wale and Rocky have potential to be on their tier.
  • kuskklassic
    Options
    since the year 2010 Drake, Kendrick, & Cole are the only rappers to rise from the underground become commercially successful as well as being critically acclaimed on pretty much every major project they have dropped. Cole have a mistep with his debut but hasnt let up since. Drake is the worlds favorite rapper right now and Kendrick is doing something for the culture that nobody else is really doing at his level in the game.

Wale just cant put together a cohesive project to save his life. His has what is takes to compete with them but he doesnt have a movement like them.

Big Sean is going into the right direction. his latest album was a step up from his previous work. he sounds a little more focused and this may be the year the Grammys show him love as well as the underground fans.

Wiz music just isnt as enjoyable as it used to be. He needs to go back to making vibe/smoke music instead of these pop hits but its working for him
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    "Folarin" wasn't an album , but it was a dope project. He was out here in DC yesterday and played some exclusives on the radio, he got some bangers on deck.
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Time will tell, what's even more etherous tho is that you left out Big KRIT..... I think Wiz is going to be more like a Rick Ross and put rappers on a la Ty Dolla $ign, Chevy Woods, Cardo, Sledgren, etc. You never really know with rap music. Anybody can come up and take the helm, it all depends on their drive and what they want out of a career.

Drake, Kendrick, J.Cole want greatness, I dont get that out of Big Sean, Wiz or Wale. Big Sean seems to just want success, Wale just wants ? to like him LOLOL and Wiz iuno man. Maybe them Odd Future ? (look at Earl Sweatshirt, Casey Veggies or Tyler The Creator), Tink, Logic, A$AP Rocky or someone completely left field will take it.

Big Sean and Wale can both rap their ? off. The only thing that separates them from the top tier is their catelog not being as strong. Krit has the catelog but lacks the national exposure(to some people this doesn't matter). The guyfrom left field I'm expecting to break through is ? Jenkins. He has the full package nh. Travis Scott can be one of those guys as well.
  • R2_163
    R2_163 Members Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    asap rocky should be bigger than what he is
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everybody winded sitting on the bench watching em run. Krit making moves and Wale wants to be in that convo but everybody else just want to make ? music and smoke weed.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    And its a damn shame Kendrick keep gettin lumped in with Drake and even worse imo J cole. I feel sory for him. I say worse bc w/ drake people understand its just bc he's popular, but Cole ? REALLY think Kendrick and Cole are peers lyrically!

Kendrick = legit great if for no other reason great albums . Dare I say, relatively speaking, the Pac of his generarion

Drake = Snoop Dogg. Entertaining. Gonna be around a looong ass time, make a whoooole lotta money, but neeeeever gon b considered an all time great rapper

J Cole = .......eh, idk, minus the image, on the level of say a Prodigy. And even that is an insult to Prodigy.

I cant think of a better comparison, but the point is if K dot is Jay z Cole aint Nas people lol If K dot is Jordan sure Cole can be Pippen. Bc there's a clear distinction in,hierarchy. They are not interchangeable

Talent wise and music wise. Kendrick has 2 classics, Cole has 3 forgettable albums. Or is it 4? ? idk, forgettable
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    My reaction to youngins when THATS your trinity

tumblr_m1rzqcVkv41rri4uko1_500.gif

this ? an idiot in all aspects of life

Somehow you and me agree on a lot of ? and disagree on a lot of ?

Another thing we agree on

• R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sean is probably the best rapper out of them all but his ? just don't connect

It's probably all the bs he put out along with the good ?
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LMFAO @ Kendrick having 2 classics
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Krit Cole Kendrick
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »
    S2J wrote: »
    My reaction to youngins when THATS your trinity

tumblr_m1rzqcVkv41rri4uko1_500.gif

this ? an idiot in all aspects of life

Somehow you and me agree on a lot of ? and disagree on a lot of ?

Another thing we agree on

lol ay it happens
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    personally i wouldnt even put wiz in there, that could change tho.

as a fan id wanna put bob in there but he has a pop stigma on him even tho its well known the boy can spit

the main ones under the so called "trinity" imo is krit, sean, asap and wale, with sean prolly being the leader of that group cuz of his recent success, and krit right behind cuz of quality, then asap, then wale. couple year ago ida prolly had wale at the top of that group.
  • thewizeonr
    thewizeonr Members Posts: 137 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ? geekin wit that wiz ? ...when kush&oj dropped that ? was the new chronic so he's rite up there wit the three u mentioned my list goes
    1.k.dot
    2.drizzy
    3.seandon
    4.cole
    5.wiz
    As far as 2009 and new goes
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Y'all sleeping on Big Sean crazy.....

Current top 3

Kendrick
    Cole
    Sean/ Drake

Sean puts albums together better than Drake. Specially Dark Sky Paradise.

And I'll cosign, Rocky dropped the ball. Ferg better than Rocky at this point.
  • And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think Kendrick is reigning supreme right now as far rapping, critical claim and success goes drizzy is second with Cole in third. To me, Cole is number three but the gap between Cole and the other 2 is huge imo. I think Cole will be remembered slightly favorable than Sean
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Big Krit should be up there smh