America to Africa... $300 million

Options
Focal Point
Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
U.S. says to spend $300 million to fight ? in Africa
Reuters
8 hours ago

Obama to Allocate Additional $300m for the Fight Against ?

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Obama administration said on Saturday it was allotting an additional $300 million to the effort to reduce ? infection among girls and young women in 10 sub-Saharan African countries.

The sum would help the main U.S. program for fighting AIDS in Africa to meet goals including providing antiretroviral treatment to 12.9 million people by the end of 2017, said Susan Rice, President Barack Obama's national security adviser.

"No greater action is needed right now than empowering adolescent girls and young women to defeat ? /AIDS. Every year, 380,000 adolescent girls and young women are infected with ? ," she said in a statement.

The President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, working with partner countries, now provides antiretroviral treatment for 7.7 million people worldwide, Rice said.

The program, known as PEPFAR, was launched in 2003 by former President George W. Bush and has provided billions of dollars for antiretroviral drugs and treatment in Africa.

By 2017, Rice said, PEPFAR also aims to "provide 13 million male circumcisions for ? prevention, and reduce ? incidence by 40 percent among adolescent girls and young women within the highest burdened areas of 10 sub-Saharan African countries."

The countries at the focus of the program are: Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

(Reporting by Mohammad Zargham; Editing by Tom Heneghan)

http://news.yahoo.com/u-says-spend-300-million-fight-? -africa-141459977.html

Comments

• MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Personally I don't believe ? in Africa is as rampant as the media portrays

So the Pres and his peoples would rather focus a ? program in African countries that are already striving vs investing money in the people of the impoverished African countries so that they can create better infrastructure and technology for the betterment of their own future?

Get the ? outta here!!! What's the real reason they are doing this?

• Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    China is about to drop 2 billion in impoverished countries around the world, mainly Africa... hopefully to help them, not to snake the resources.
  • Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    $300m with a catch....
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only thing that can help Africa are the African people worldwide.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rasta. wrote: »
    $300m with a catch....

EXACTLY!
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Rasta. wrote: »
    $300m with a catch....

• luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A Vaccine type (not a complete vaccine) drug ALREADY EXISTS!!!!!!!!
    Just give the Africans PrEP.
    It's an absolute America and the world has some private interest in Aids.
    Dumbest thing in the world that I can't understand. They practically almost have something close to a vaccine already available BUT AMERICA refuses to let people know and administer it freely. If they distributed this in Africa and throughout America and any other continents with AIDS epidemics then this would absoultely cut down the rates of infection for AIDS.

For those that think I'm on some ? . Let this blow your mind.
    “PrEP has been around now for a couple years, it’s just getting off the ground,” said Dr. David Wohl, director of the N.C. AIDS Training and Education Center. If taken every day, the drug allows the user to have sex without a condom and still prevents the transmission of ? , much like how the birth control pill prevents pregnancy. PrEP is a combination of tenofovir and emtricitabine, two drugs used to treat ? .

It works like 97% of the time.

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2015/08/safe-sex-is-great-sex-new-drug-prevents-?
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The countries at the focus of the program are: Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

$300 million to 10 countries isn't really that much money in the grand scheme of things.

That's only $30 million per country.

As corrupt as some of those countries are, that money probably won't even reach the people who need it.
  • MzKB
    edited September 2015
    Options
    China is about to drop 2 billion in impoverished countries around the world, mainly Africa... hopefully to help them, not to snake the resources.
    dwade206 wrote: »

You serious? Africa has been preyed upon for thousands of years. Trust me, if China is investing billions in Africa, then China will be the ones reaping the benefits first.

China is already in Africa
    China has become by far Africa’s biggest trading partner, exchanging about $160 billion-worth of goods a year; more than 1m Chinese, most of them labourers and traders, have moved to the continent in the past decade. The mutual adoration between governments continues, with ever more African roads and mines built by Chinese firms. But the talk of Africa becoming Chinese—or “China’s second continent”, as the title of one American book puts it—is overdone.

http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21639554-china-has-become-big-africa-now-backlash-one-among-many

• Tymoney19
    Tymoney19 Members Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Catholic Church still in Africa preaching condoms and birth control are inventions from the devil.
  • CP203
    CP203 Members Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man everytime I go to Uganda I get mad, smh I'm over there building houses for kids and trying to build schools and the government wants a piece and are ? because I set it up as not for profit
  • CP203
    CP203 Members Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    China's doing all kinds of development in Africa and importing Chinese workers instead of hiring Africans. Ain't nobody helping Africa for altruistic reasons

Chinese and south Americans cleaning up in Africa while ? on Africans
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sure there is a massive amount of abuse. But the finger is pointed in the wrong direction. As long as they keep getting the open armed treatment from the local governments, they will continue to do whatever they please. They will let things get so out of hand that they will need outside assistance.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MzKB wrote: »

So the Pres and his peoples would rather focus a ? program in African countries that are already striving vs investing money in the people of the impoverished African countries so that they can create better infrastructure and technology for the betterment of their own future?

Always best to do a lil research saves you the risk of being loud & wrong

Obama pledges $7 billion to upgrade power in Africa
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/30/world/africa/south-africa-obama-pledge/
    Obama in Kenya Explains Why the US Is Investing 500 million dollars in African Women

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/2015/0725/Obama-in-Kenya-Why-the-US-is-investing-500-million-in-African-women
  • MzKB
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »

Always best to do a lil research saves you the risk of being loud & wrong

Obama pledges $7 billion to upgrade power in Africa
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/30/world/africa/south-africa-obama-pledge/
    Obama in Kenya Explains Why the US Is Investing 500 million dollars in African Women

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/2015/0725/Obama-in-Kenya-Why-the-US-is-investing-500-million-in-African-women

that's what the resident Obama ? -ryder is here for
    Good looking out though. I truly appreciate the correction
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruh... a major portion of the money is being used towards circumcision? Wtf... so what are they telling them? "Oh you're circumcised u ain't getting anything now"

Man.... I bet it for the foreskins. If yall didnt know they have many industrial applications.... smmfh.

They've got bustling cities and yet they still haven't gotten the stock market and are still being ? in a neo-colonial fashion. Smmfh.
  • a.mann
    Options

So because you got caught looking like a lying ignorant ? ,
    you have to result name calling?
  • MzKB
    edited September 2015
    Options

So because you got caught looking like a lying ignorant ? ,
    you have to result name calling?

did i not say i was appreciative for the correction? We all make mistakes and I take no issue being a lying ignorant ? .
    ? i thought you wore your obama ? riding sticker proudly...nothing to take offense about
  • a.mann
    Options
    Something I've take noticed about you people that despise Obama
    whenever your lies,propaganda and misinformation is exposed

you whine & cry like lil devils

and desperately try to save face by attacking a someone for telling the truth and putting out the facts
  • MzKB
    Options
    Something I've take noticed about you people that despise Obama
    whenever your lies,propaganda and misinformation is exposed

you whine & cry like lil devils

and desperately try to save face by attacking a someone for telling the truth and putting out the facts

Since when did I despise Obama?
    ? you were right and I was wrong....what is there to whine and cry about?

• a.mann
    Options
    "Obama voted for the Iraq war,and sent 40,000 troops to die for nothing!!"m1322.gif

"Uh,actually he voted against the war,stating that taking out Saddam would ultimately destabilize that region of the globe "nupe.gif

"Well you're nothing but a ? Obama ? rider!!!!"mad.gif
  • MzKB
    Options
    "Obama voted for the Iraq war,and sent 40,000 troops to die for nothing!!"m1322.gif

"Uh,actually he voted against the war,stating that taking out Saddam would ultimately destabilize that region of the globe "nupe.gif

"Well you're nothing but a ? Obama ? rider!!!!"mad.gif

like I'm really confused right now....aren't you a contractor just like me? You already know when someone pledges money that, that doesn't mean that the funds are actually being given. You should have witnessed it first hand in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The President (any U.S. president for that matter) has no control over anything. If congress hasn't agreed and signed that paperwork then that ? means nothing!!

Dude ride for your ? ...ain't nothing wrong with that. I can't knock a ? for being loyal when their team is losing.